ADVERTISEMENT

Five Most Influential/Seminal Rock Bands

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Not necessarily the greatest or the longest lasting, but the bands which were most influential in establishing, impacting or advancing an important musical genre or style:

1. The Beatles. Without question.

Not in any particular order:

2. The Clash.

3. Buffalo Springfield. Only together for a short time, but they were the genesis of so many big American bands — and musical styles — of the 70s: The Byrds; Neil Young & Crazy Horse; Poco; CSN; The Eagles. And, the Byrds were primarily responsible for bringing the music of Bob Dylan into mainstream American consciousness. Other than The Flying Burrito Brothers, who never reached real prominence, Buffalo Springfield also was the first group to meld country and rock, another genre carried on by The Byrds (Sweethearts of the Radio and The Notorious Byrd Brothers) and perfected by The Eagles.

4. Nirvana.

5. Metallica. Although I’m not an authority on heavy metal, so there well may have been a band before them which was more responsible for the genre.

6. (It’s my thread so I can add a genre.) NWA.

***. Beatles - I know this is everyone's choice, but following their run - it seemed music really became British blues based or disco based and I don't hear that at all with the Beatles. Some songs they have like Elenaor Rigby aren't even classified as a genre. I don't think anyone has replicated their sound or material. I know Oasis tried lol. BTW, they were a solid band.

1. Chuck Berry / Little Richard / Muddy Waters / Elvis / Jerry Lee Lewis - that era of artists to me is the most influential for what we heard in the 1970's and beyond.

2. Led Zeppelin - basically every 1980's/1990's stadium rock group tried to replicate them in some form or fashion. I think Steven Tyler's speech at the HOF explained it best.

3. Sabbath - every metal/hard rock group probably has Sabbath #1 in their books.

4. Michael Jackson - how many acts both individual and R&B tried to replicate some kind of his sound?

5. Garth Brooks - can't stand him but modern country is based upon his style. So much so it's almost a different genre than country/bluegrass of the 1960's-1980's.

Hon Mentions
Metallica
Hank Williams Sr.
Madonna
Bob Dylan
Kiss - I have no idea but tons of bands/musicians in the last 25 years list them as a big influence.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the bands we credit as being the trendsetters seldom actually were... they were just the most popular (or first to gain massive popularity) with a particular style. But I guess you could still argue the popular bands, even if they weren't the first to do it, still inspired many others.

Of the ones I haven't seen listed above, I'd probably Woodie Guthrie. Maybe even Pete Seeger.

Great topic Mike.

I am going with mine by what followed them.

1) Beatles. I guess we have to give someone credit for the explosion of the BritPopRock and the Beatles were the first. I would have to think no other band spawned a bunch of kids picking up an instrument and starting "a band" because it was cool.

2) Led Zeppelin. Again, one of the first, once called "the heaviest band in the world" and the biggest band, they primary were the launching for Heavy Metal and many 70's/80's rock, hair bands and even Nirvana/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden Seattle scene. Name a guy who plays guitar, and guarantee he was a Zeppelin fan.

3) Velvet Underground. I think if you trace the roots of punk/alt rock, they would land at Velvet Underground. The Stooges, Sex Pistols, Joy Division, the Cure, U2, even REM all list them as influences. They perfected that cool, indifferent style.

4) Public Enemy/Beastie Boys. Maybe the biggest rock/rap influences, even influencing groups like the Chili Peppers. But they drove this whole genre into full fledge rap.

5) The Clash. Again, you can trace alot of the 80's, 90's, 2000's groups to this origin.

Individuals that belong on here but really aren't groups. James Brown. Bob Dylan. David Bowie.

The Band.

"For roughly half-a-decade, from 1968 through 1975, the Band were one of the most popular and influential rock groups in the world."[2] Their influence on several generations of musicians has been substantial: Roger Waters called their debut album, Music from Big Pink, the second "most influential record in the history of rock and roll,"[3] and music journalist Al Aronowitz called its "country soul....a sound never heard before."[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band

You have to take a step back.

Without Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis and Chuck Berry there would be no rock n roll.

Not necessarily the greatest or the longest lasting, but the bands which were most influential in establishing, impacting or advancing an important musical genre or style:

1. The Beatles. Without question.

Not in any particular order:

2. The Clash.

3. Buffalo Springfield. Only together for a short time, but they were the genesis of so many big American bands — and musical styles — of the 70s: The Byrds; Neil Young & Crazy Horse; Poco; CSN; The Eagles. And, the Byrds were primarily responsible for bringing the music of Bob Dylan into mainstream American consciousness. Other than The Flying Burrito Brothers, who never reached real prominence, Buffalo Springfield also was the first group to meld country and rock, another genre carried on by The Byrds (Sweethearts of the Radio and The Notorious Byrd Brothers) and perfected by The Eagles.

4. Nirvana.

5. Metallica. Although I’m not an authority on heavy metal, so there well may have been a band before them which was more responsible for the genre.

6. (It’s my thread so I can add a genre.) NWA.

black sabbath was the originator of that genre.

Agree and The Kinks should be right up there with them since You Really Got Me changed the world.

I love The Kinks. Arthur, which was their version of Sergeant Pepper is one of my favorite albums. I just don’t think they had nearly the influence on bands and music as The Beatles did in that era, and I limited myself to one seminal group per genre.

Based on the comments so far, I would probably replace Metallica with Black Sabbath and add Led Zeppelin as the most influential in creating another genre.

The Yardbirds were great and undeniably produced three of the greatest guitar players in the world. But, I don’t think their music itself triggered a significant change in musical styles. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck each went in different directions musically.

I struggled on whether to include Public Enemy with or in place of NWA. I think The Beastie Boys did a lot to make rap accessible to fans but I don’t think they were nearly as responsible for creating musical rap acts as NWA or Public Enemy.

The Band.

"For roughly half-a-decade, from 1968 through 1975, the Band were one of the most popular and influential rock groups in the world."[2] Their influence on several generations of musicians has been substantial: Roger Waters called their debut album, Music from Big Pink, the second "most influential record in the history of rock and roll,"[3] and music journalist Al Aronowitz called its "country soul....a sound never heard before."[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band
Levon & The Hawks. Totally different, much more fun.

EUDrKmXXsAEQUU0

The Beatles - obvious

Pink Floyd - popularized the album as a whole, furthered progressive rock, many later guitarists tried emulate Gilmour (see U2).

R.E.M. - heavily influenced a lot of what came in the 90s, including Nirvana

Joy Division/New Order - hard to underscore their influence on post punk and new wave

Cream - First supergroup, can see lineage to heavy rock bands that followed like Zeppelin. Three of the greatest musicians on their respective instruments.

Last edited:
I love The Kinks. Arthur, which was their version of Sergeant Pepper is one of my favorite albums. I just don’t think they had nearly the influence on bands and music as The Beatles did in that era, and I limited myself to one seminal group per genre.

Based on the comments so far, I would probably replace Metallica with Black Sabbath and add Led Zeppelin as the most influential in creating another genre.

The Yardbirds were great and undeniably produced three of the greatest guitar players in the world. But, I don’t think their music itself triggered a significant change in musical styles. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck each went in different directions musically.

I struggled on whether to include Public Enemy with or in place of NWA. I think The Beastie Boys did a lot to make rap accessible to fans but I don’t think they were nearly as responsible for creating musical rap acts as NWA or Public Enemy.
Since led zep was blues cover band- May as well go to the source material

Without a doubt one of the biggest influencers is Robert Johnson. That sprung the blues movement Muddy Waters and all the other greats as well as the British invasion of led zep, cream. yardbirds, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT