ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** An hour or so after the HUGE win against Louisville last week, I suggested the following: “On other days, we can talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the remainder of the season. On this night, I’m simply and extraordinary thrilled that the Panthers are 1-0 in League play over the last 24 hours.”

** An hour or so after this EVER BIGGER win against Florida State tonight, allow me to suggest that it is INDEED now the time to talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the remainder of the season.

** I’ve always been a cautious optimist. After tonight, I see it as time to throw caution to the wind. Thoughts of the NIT are now well in play! More than that? Yes -- these things seem possible.

** These thoughts are in play because this team can indeed … well … play. That can play pretty well in fact. Much better … THIS year … than I would have ever thought possible.

** While this was another game full of extraordinary individual performances, this game felt more like a great team win than the L-ville triumph. This feels like a team making steps forward. This feels like a team coming together.

** Just yesterday, my Lair pal @gary2 and I were exchanging thoughts about this team’s chemistry. We both agreed there was a true closeness and togetherness among the players. However, I suggested that I hoped this would someday translate to better on-the-court chemistry.

** Today we watched a team that played like they have great on-the-court chemistry.

** Perhaps this observation is magnified by the fact that the Panthers played a more talented team who plays like they have not-so-great on-the-court chemistry. But isn’t that almost always the case with a Leonard Hamilton coached team?

** Meanwhile, the Jeff Capel coached team simply busted their tail on defense. The Panther’s turned this game on the defensive end of the court. After surrendering 50% on FG’s to the Seminoles in the first half, they held them to a paltry 23.5% in the second.

** Our team worked together wonderfully on the defensive end, and where always covering the right man in the zone, and switching effortlessly while playing man.

** And if you blinked, over the last few hours, perhaps you might have missed the Pomeroy stats that now have the Panthers ranked as the #27 best defensive team in the country, not to mention as the #68 ranked team overall.

** Those are the kind of numbers that should provide more than enough evidence from the most cautious of optimists to even some of the more darker pessimists. Heck, even @pittizit is now thinking of post season possibilities.

** How is this possible?

** It’s possible because Trey McGowens is proving to be an absolute elite ACC defender. He leads the conference in steals and is equally effective in man and zone defenses.

** It’s possible because Terrell Brown has turned a HUGE corner, and leads the ACC in blocks in conference games with 4.3 per contest.

** It’s possible because Au’Diese Toney is defending fours like he was 6-9 instead of 6-5. He’s just as good against guys who are 6-3.

** Others are doing their share too. Today Malik defended the wing effectively this night, while also filling in 9 big minutes as the five. Kene battled Christ Koumajie to a draw. Sidy and Kham were a big part of the perimeter problems for the Noles.

** When Xavier stays out of foul trouble, he can be effective on the defensive end like he was tonight.

** Only Jared Wilson-Frame struggled to defend his man, but even he twice cleared the defensive glass down the stretch when it mattered most.

** As far as the other end of the court, the Panthers were almost never pretty while somehow still playing "perfectly" – that is – perfect for who they are.

** Or instead, let’s say instead that they played with perfect fearlessness.

** Would the Noles ever have expected a team to be able to challenge them so hard and so well to get to the line 46 times against them? Would anyone have expected that?

** But when I suggest that the Panthers played perfectly for who they are, it’s fairly remarkable, even amazing, that the Panthers were able to score 75 points while only making 16 shots, and shooting only 35%.

** Going forward, my only critical request is that the Panthers need to be a little more mindful of not leaving a few easy ones of the scoreboard, including a few from Terrell and a missed dunk by Trey.

**And Xavier is going to have to be more careful with getting stuck in penetration, as far too many times he simply stopped in the wrong place. But there were those few times when he finished with a flair, and all a fan can do is shake your head in disbelief.

** Speaking of disbelief, when Trey gets the ball past half court on the break with a defender in front of him, it’s almost to the point now where we should expect something magical happen, like tonight’s backward over-the-shoulder flip. These kind of things are happening too frequently to think they are flukes.

** Wins against Louisville and Florida State are too important to think this team is a fluke. They are looking more and more like they just might be for real. The rest of the ACC is now looking at the Panthers and Coach Capel and wondering just what the heck in going on here.

** But teams that are for real can win on the road. Let’s go get one in the Dome!

** Congrats to our Panthers!! It’s been wonderful saying that as many times as I have done so at this point in the season.

** An hour or so after the HUGE win against Louisville last week, I suggested the following: “On other days, we can talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the remainder of the season. On this night, I’m simply and extraordinary thrilled that the Panthers are 1-0 in League play over the last 24 hours.”

** An hour or so after this EVER BIGGER win against Florida State tonight, allow me to suggest that it is INDEED now the time to talk about what this game means for our Panther’s prospects for the remainder of the season.

** I’ve always been a cautious optimist. After tonight, I see it as time to throw caution to the wind. Thoughts of the NIT are now well in play! More than that? Yes -- these things seem possible.

** These thoughts are in play because this team can indeed … well … play. That can play pretty well in fact. Much better … THIS year … than I would have ever thought possible.

** While this was another game full of extraordinary individual performances, this game felt more like a great team win than the L-ville triumph. This feels like a team making steps forward. This feels like a team coming together.

** Just yesterday, my pal @gary2 and I were exchanging thoughts about this team’s chemistry. We both agreed there was a true closeness and togetherness among the players. However, I suggested that I hoped this would someday translate to better on-the-court chemistry.

** Today we watched a team that played like they have great on-the-court chemistry.

** Perhaps this observation is magnified by the fact that the Panthers played a more talented team who plays like they have not-so-great on-the-court chemistry. But isn’t that almost always the case with a Leonard Hamilton coached team?

** Meanwhile, the Jeff Capel coached team simply busted their tail on defense. The Panther’s turned this game on the defensive end of the court. After surrendering 50% on FG’s to the Seminoles in the first half, they held them to a paltry 23.5% in the second.

** Our team worked together wonderfully on the defensive end, and where always covering the right man in the zone, and switching effortlessly while playing man.

** And if you blinked, over the last few hours, perhaps you might have missed that Pomeroy stats that now have the Panthers ranked as the #27 best defensive team in the country, not to mention as the #68 ranked team overall.

** Those are the kind of numbers that should provide more than enough evidence from the most cautious of optimists to even some of the more darker pessimists. Heck, even @pittizit is now thinking of post season possibilities.

** How is this possible?

** It’s possible because Trey McGowens is providing to be an absolute elite ACC defender. He leads the conference in steals and is equally effective in man and zone defenses.

** It’s possible because Terrell Brown has turned a HUGE corner, and leads the ACC in blocks in conference games with 4.3 per contest.

** It’s possible because Au’Diese Toney is defending fours like he was 6-9 instead of 6-5. He’s just as good against guys who are 6-3.

** Others are doing their share too. Today Malik defended the wing effectively, while also filling in 9 minutes as the five. Kene battled Christ Koumajie to a draw. Sidy and Kham were a big part of the perimeter problems for the Noles.

** When Xavier stays out of foul trouble, he can be effective on the defensive end like he was tonight.

** Only Jared Wilson-Frame struggled to defend his man, but even he twice cleared the defensive glass down the stretch when it mattered most.

** As far as the other end of the court, the Panthers were almost never pretty while somehow still playing "perfectly" – that is – perfect for who they are.

** Would the Noles ever have expected a team to be able to get to the line 42 times against them? Would anyone have expected that?

** But when I suggest that the Panthers played perfectly for who they are, it’s fairly remarkable, even amazing, that the Panthers were able to score 75 points while only making 16 shots, and shooting only 35%.

** Going forward, my only critical request is that the Panthers need to be a little more mindful of not leaving a few easy ones of the scoreboard, including a few from Terrell and a missed dunk by Trey.

**And Xavier is going to have to be more careful with getting stuck in penetration, as far too many times he simply stopped in the wrong place. But there were those few times when he finished with a flair, and all a fan can do is shake your head in disbelief.

** Speaking of disbelief, when Trey gets the ball past half court with a defender in front of him, it’s almost to the point now where we should expect something magical happen, like tonight’s backward over-the-shoulder flip. These kind of things are happening to frequently to think they are flukes.

** Wins against Louisville are Florida State are too important to think this team is a fluke. They are looking more and more like they just might be for real. The rest of the ACC is now looking at the Panthers and Coach Capel and wondering just what the heck in going on here.

** But teams that are for real can win on the road. Let’s go get one in the Dome!

** Congrats to our Panthers!! It’s been wonderful saying that as many times as I have done so at this point in the season.

The defensive plan, execution and effort were tremendous. Could tell they made FSU hesitant and uncomfortable.

Also Pitt really picked up the rebounding effort especially later in the game. He certainly didn't have a very productive game, but JW-F did have a textbook box out and grabbed a key rebound late. Sort of exemplified the job and resolve on the glass the Panthers displayed to help finish off the 'Noles tonight.

Reactions: HOF Coach

** Just yesterday, my Lair pal @gary2 and I were exchanging thoughts about this team’s chemistry. We both agreed there was a true closeness and togetherness among the players. However, I suggested that I hoped this would someday translate to better on-the-court chemistry.

** And if you blinked, over the last few hours, perhaps you might have missed the Pomeroy stats that now have the Panthers ranked as the #27 best defensive team in the country, not to mention as the #68 ranked team overall.

** How is this possible?

** It’s possible because Trey McGowens is proving to be an absolute elite ACC defender. He leads the conference in steals and is equally effective in man and zone defenses.

** Others are doing their share too. Today Malik defended the wing effectively this night, while also filling in 9 big minutes as the five. Kene battled Christ Koumajie to a draw. Sidy and Kham were a big part of the perimeter problems for the Noles.

** Would the Noles ever have expected a team to be able to challenge them so hard and so well to get to the line 42 times against them? Would anyone have expected that?

** Speaking of disbelief, when Trey gets the ball past half court on the break with a defender in front of him, it’s almost to the point now where we should expect something magical happen, like tonight’s backward over-the-shoulder flip. These kind of things are happening too frequently to think they are flukes.

** Wins against Louisville are Florida State are too important to think this team is a fluke. They are looking more and more like they just might be for real. The rest of the ACC is now looking at the Panthers and Coach Capel and wondering just what the heck in going on here.

I was even happy with the quick and long three that Toney took late in the game. He took the shot in rhythm and if he makes it, it's a killer.

Reactions: TreesHero
I was even happy with the quick and long three that Toney took late in the game. He took the shot in rhythm and if he makes it, it's a killer.

Agree ... I can't even say I hated that shot. I expected it to go down in fact. I said to my Son after the miss: "he makes that and the roof blows off the place."

Reactions: drgags and gary2
Love Terrel, but his hands - not sure how you can improve this, but he got some great passes tonight and just lost it.

I am of the mindset that any post-season play is not the goal. It continues to be growth. The nucleus is made up of very young players. They need to keep all of this in front of them, if that makes sense. At some point, their fearless approach may not work, and as fans, we have to let them learn.

Having said that, I can admit to be truly shocked by tonights results. I'm in the back seat, maybe front seat?, for the ride. And however this ends up, I'm good. As Pitt fans we are so very lucky with this transition.

Love Terrel, but his hands - not sure how you can improve this, but he got some great passes tonight and just lost it.

I am of the mindset that any post-season play is not the goal. It continues to be growth. The nucleus is made up of very young players. They need to keep all of this in front of them, if that makes sense. At some point, their fearless approach may not work, and as fans, we have to let them learn.

Having said that, I can admit to be truly shocked by tonights results. I'm in the back seat, maybe front seat?, for the ride. And however this ends up, I'm good. As Pitt fans we are so very lucky with this transition.

I agree with your mindset. But I'm daring myself to dream a little bit -- there just might be something a little special going on.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I agree with your mindset. But I'm daring myself to dream a little bit -- there just might be something a little special going on.
I hear you. Just dialing back so I can truly enjoy this run. And I worry that those who aren't as seasoned will become disillusioned if it doesn't lead to the promised land of a post-season tournament.

For me, I'm playing with house money at this point.

How many ACC wins do you think they need for the NIT? Seven? The Niagara loss could come back to haunt us.

I don't think the Niagara loss will matter much ... not so much like it would hurt the chances to get into the NCAA's.

Otherwise, we'd be in the NIT with 8 ACC wins. With 7, it might depend on how many teams who win their conference regular season lose their conference tournament.

First thing TB needs to really work on - and I'm sure it's a big point of emphasis in practice - is to keep his eyes on the ball until he has it secured. If the eyes divert even for a split second, it can lead to a bobble or drop. Same as receiver in FB. Or a 2nd baseman turning a DP. Watch the ball all the way in.

Reactions: pitt-girl
—Impressed we won the game fairly handily despite a lot of wasted possessions.

—More plays to add to what’s going to be the most amazing BB season-highlight video in Pitt history.

Go Pitt.

Reactions: PollCat99

** How is this possible?

** Would the Noles ever have expected a team to be able to challenge them so hard and so well to get to the line 42 times against them? Would anyone have expected that?

A couple of additional comments:

** I didn't see it, but I heard second hand that Capel and Jared Wilson Frame where kind of going at it on the bench (maybe that's not exactly true -- maybe more that Capel was giving it to JWF). Regardless, I was told that JWF and Capel shook hands at the end of the discussion.

** If JWF was still sore with Capel, it sure didn't look like it with JWF's behavior the locker room post game.

** If you didn't yet see it, make sure you see the video of the team in the locker room after the game. It will make you grin from ear to ear if not bring chills.

** I loved how HCJC brought it Anthony Starzynski and then Sampson George so that he could give a proper exit to Trey McGowens then Xavier Johnson.

** Even more, I loved the huge embraces Capel gave to both as they came off the court. Our guys love their coach.

First thing TB needs to really work on - and I'm sure it's a big point of emphasis in practice - is to keep his eyes on the ball until he has it secured. If the eyes divert even for a split second, it can lead to a bobble or drop. Same as receiver in FB. Or a 2nd baseman turning a DP. Watch the ball all the way in.
It seems to me Brown catches the ball well enough if he doesn't have to move to get the pass. Brown does nothing fluidly, wether moving to a pas, defending, rebounding or even blocking shots. On most of Browns blocks, he is standing still and just uses his length to block the shot. His timing is really good. Often he does not even leave his feet.

It seems to me Brown catches the ball well enough if he doesn't have to move to get the pass. Brown does nothing fluidly, wether moving to a pas, defending, rebounding or even blocking shots. On most of Browns blocks, he is standing still and just uses his length to block the shot. His timing is really good. Often he does not even leave his feet.

He's looking more and more like an elite shotblocker. And he's probably an underrated rebounder by most Pitt fans too.

** I didn't see it, but I heard second hand that Capel and Jared Wilson Frame where kind of going at it on the bench (maybe that's not exactly true -- maybe more that Capel was giving it to JWF). Regardless, I was told that JWF and Capel shook hands at the end of the discussion.

** If JWF was still sore with Capel, it sure didn't look like it with JWF's behavior the locker room post game.

** If you didn't yet see it, make sure you see the video of the team in the locker room after the game. It will make you grin from ear to ear if not bring chills.

** I loved how HCJC brought it Anthony Starzynski and then Sampson George so that he could give a proper exit to Trey McGowens then Xavier Johnson.

** Even more, I loved the huge embraces Capel gave to both as they came off the court. Our guys love their coach.

Think the Capel anger at JW-F was directed at him for a defensive gaffe in the 1H where he lost his man and allowed an easy score. Capel must've thought it was a lapse of focus and concentration.

But after the game I heard him compliment JW-F for an excellent box out and defensive rebound at an important juncture of the game. So I think it's no biggie.

Reactions: TheMadStork
He's looking more and more like an elite shotblocker. And he's probably an underrated rebounder by most Pitt fans too.
He sure blocks his share. I thought he was a little more sure with the rebounds he had a shot at tonight.

Think the Capel anger at JW-F was directed at him for a defensive gaffe in the 1H where he lost his man and allowed an easy score. Capel must've thought it was a lapse of focus and concentration.

But after the game I heard him compliment JW-F for an excellent box out and defensive rebound at an important juncture of the game. So I think it's no biggie.

I wasn't suggesting that it was a conflict or a "biggie." Instead, I'd suggest that even JWF knows defense will matter most. I like that HCJC is holding his team accountable and that they are responding to this appropriately.

Reactions: PittMan 72

His timing is good and he most always goes straight up, keeps his arms straight and doesn't swat down onto the shooter. Good technique. Loved the one tonight where he both blocked the shot and caught the ball. It was Bill Russell-esque!

I wasn't suggesting that it was a conflict or a "biggie." Instead, I'd suggest that even JWF knows defense will matter most. I like that HCJC is holding his team accountable and that they are responding to this appropriately.

Capel definitely let JW-F know he wasn't happy. Sat him down, too.

Wilson-Frame was pissed off that he got taken out a couple minutes into the game. While Pitt was shooting foul shots at the other end he had already walked up and was standing right at the bench ready to sit down even before the first foul shot. It appeared that Capel did not take too kindly to that.

When he came out the second time W-F stopped near Capel. I couldn't tell from our seats if W-F was saying anything at all, but I can tell you for a fact that Capel was saying a lot, and he was saying it quite emphatically. So I think the description that "Capel was giving it to JWF" is more likely the correct one.

When W-F didn't play after that in the first half and then didn't start the second half or play for a long time into the half we assumed that he wasn't going to play anymore. And then Capel did put him back in. When he got subbed out that time they slapped hands as W-F walked past, so whatever set the whole thing off in the first place seems to have blown over.

** Wins against Louisville and Florida State are too important to think this team is a fluke. They are looking more and more like they just might be for real. The rest of the ACC is now looking at the Panthers and Coach Capel and wondering just what the heck in going on here.

Priceless. :)

Reactions: CougarClaws
This team is so flexible!

Shows how good the relationship is between everybody. Players and players, coaches and coaches.

Theyll play man. They'll play 2-3. They'll play some other zones (infrequently). They'll push the ball up the court. They'll take it slower and set up the halfcourt offense. They'll drive. They'll drive and kickout. They'll drive and kickout 3 times in a row on the same possession. They'll toss it around the perimeter. They'll pass it down low right down the middle or from anywhere along the arc. They'll drive the baseline. Nobody plays selfish.

When you have good PGs executing consistently - and pitt has two really good PGs that are executing more and more consistently - that is hard to defend. Without also committing a lot of fouls. This offense has getting to the line often as one of its main goals. Nights like tonight that goal was achieved and pitt won via a dominating free throw performance.

Trey and xman driving and getting to the line, the other guys converting at a high percentage when they get there, compensates for not having a top big man or PF. Or a stone cold 3 point shooter. Capel and his staff are scheming the right way to get the most out of what they have.

Didn't want to focus so much on the offense but the defense is a lot simpler to explain, trey is a monster and everyone is putting in the effort. When the biggest drama almost halfway through the season is JWF getting benched for most of a game and it's bygones be bygones between him and the head coach by the end... sure hasn't been like that the 3-4 seasons before this one.

I think this may be the best staff pitt basketball has ever had. All they need to prove it is time.

Last edited:

I completely agree with you from our persepctive as fans.

But I think Jeff Capel would disagree. He has this team believing they can compete and beat anyone, and that winning is the ONLY goal and only thing that matters... and it’s showing on the court.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Agree ... I can't even say I hated that shot. I expected it to go down in fact. I said to my Son after the miss: "he makes that and the roof blows off the place."
I didn't like it. Nor did I like Terrell's FT line jumper or Malik's corner 3. All were bad shots with the lead.

Reactions: rrig5

I was not surprised by tonight. I was pretty sure we'd win. This game was set up for us with FSU's tough loss to Duke on Sat and our good game at NC St. Plus, this is a team we have played very well the last few years. We beat them at FSU 3 years ago, pummeled them at home 2 years ago and almost beat them with our shitty team last year at FSU.

Watching him last season I felt he was going to be very solid by the time he was a junior, and he’s definitely trending in that direction

I’m very optimistic and really like this team a lot. I’m still in wait and see mode. I really can’t determine what our future is this year until we play against Syracuse zone, Virginia defense, duke all world 8 stars, and VT athletes. I’d also like to see them against the lower half of the conference. If they can put away lower teams with confidence and hang against the others than I’m a believer.
I think this team is somewhere in the middle of the team that lost to UNC but beat FSU. We better rebound and make free throws or we lose like we did against nc state.
I just don’t know enough about them until we really hit the grind. Lots of positives for sure, and top level high school players are idiots if they don’t have Pitt as a top 3 school for them. Especially big men. This team is one true big man away from being in the top half of the ACC.

Reactions: PHPanther
How many ACC wins do you think they need for the NIT? Seven? The Niagara loss could come back to haunt us.
kind of debating whether or not that was sarcasm...if not, who the hell choses to post that after Pitt beats #11 in the country to even up their record in conference?

The early results have to be beyond anyones expectations . First win in 10 games against Louisville , almost winning on the road at NCS and now beating #11 FSU .

These 3 freshman with nowhere near the hoopla of Duke's freshman have to be considered one of the best classes in the country based on actual game performance .

I think it's prudent to keep expectations reasonable , but the early conference results make you feel like they could win just about any game . Amazing !

My only concern is that Pitts points just don't come easy . At some point they need someone to start making mid range jumpers instead of always going to the hoop .

Jeff C has won the locker room & the program is starting to be talked about nationally , there's too much good going on now not to think that other good players don't want to join the party !

ADVERTISEMENT