ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State Game & Other Dribbles ...

First thing TB needs to really work on - and I'm sure it's a big point of emphasis in practice - is to keep his eyes on the ball until he has it secured. If the eyes divert even for a split second, it can lead to a bobble or drop. Same as receiver in FB. Or a 2nd baseman turning a DP. Watch the ball all the way in.

Also, most (all?) tall guys have trouble handling passes below the waist. Some (but of course not all) of Terrel's bobbles have been at least partially due to such passes. Guards need to recognize that tendency and pass (or not pass) accordingly.

Reactions: gary2
In today's basketball they coach players to catch the the ball with their peripheral vision because if you're looking at the ball all the way into your hands it's usually too late to do something once you get it.

Even in youth basketball we start coaching the kids if they're spotting up for shot; to be looking at the hoop before the pass gets to them.

The best thing for TB is to just continually be forced to catch balls. One handed, two handed, moving, while the off hand is occupied, etc.

First thing TB needs to really work on - and I'm sure it's a big point of emphasis in practice - is to keep his eyes on the ball until he has it secured. If the eyes divert even for a split second, it can lead to a bobble or drop. Same as receiver in FB. Or a 2nd baseman turning a DP. Watch the ball all the way in.

As I recall, Gary M had some bad hands early on. There were a few other pretty good bigs who had bad hands earlier in their career.

I think part of it is that the game is moving fast for them and they are thinking about what they are going to do with the ball before they catch it. As brown gets more experience and PT I think you;ll see his hands improve. Its just like initiating contact and going up strong. You see glimpses of him doing that but its not consistent. The staff is working on that and hes clearly improved. I think his upside is far higher than I or anyone would have projected going into this year.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
In today's basketball they coach players to catch the the ball with their peripheral vision because if you're looking at the ball all the way into your hands it's usually too late to do something once you get it.

Even in youth basketball we start coaching the kids if they're spotting up for shot; to be looking at the hoop before the pass gets to them.

The best thing for TB is to just continually be forced to catch balls. One handed, two handed, moving, while the off hand is occupied, etc.

Then maybe TB has bad peripheral vision? We're talking fractions of seconds here. But whatever drills or techniques can be used to do the job, it would really help Brown's offensive game a bunch if he can improve his catching ability. Because it looks like Pitt has some guys that have some big time abilities to draw and dish to the bigs for some point blank finishes.

The early results have to be beyond anyones expectations . First win in 10 games against Louisville , almost winning on the road at NCS and now beating #11 FSU .

These 3 freshman with nowhere near the hoopla of Duke's freshman have to be considered one of the best classes in the country based on actual game performance .

I think it's prudent to keep expectations reasonable , but the early conference results make you feel like they could win just about any game . Amazing !

My only concern is that Pitts points just don't come easy . At some point they need someone to start making mid range jumpers instead of always going to the hoop .

Jeff C has won the locker room & the program is starting to be talked about nationally , there's too much good going on now not to think that other good players don't want to join the party !

Really need the 2 seniors to contribute some in terms of point production, at least at key times, to address some of the potential scoring issues. Wilson-Frame & N'Dir making some shots would be such a tremendous boost. Because the way things are going, they are guys that could get lost by defenses that are focused on on stopping some others once the ball starts moving.

Was also nice to see Ellison contribute some scoring production last night. All of those ancillary guys need to be discretionary in taking shots, but if they can take some and - most importantly - MAKE a reasonable percentage of them, it would be a great asset.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Wilson-Frame was pissed off that he got taken out a couple minutes into the game. While Pitt was shooting foul shots at the other end he had already walked up and was standing right at the bench ready to sit down even before the first foul shot. It appeared that Capel did not take too kindly to that.

When he came out the second time W-F stopped near Capel. I couldn't tell from our seats if W-F was saying anything at all, but I can tell you for a fact that Capel was saying a lot, and he was saying it quite emphatically. So I think the description that "Capel was giving it to JWF" is more likely the correct one.

When W-F didn't play after that in the first half and then didn't start the second half or play for a long time into the half we assumed that he wasn't going to play anymore. And then Capel did put him back in. When he got subbed out that time they slapped hands as W-F walked past, so whatever set the whole thing off in the first place seems to have blown over.

This is exactly what I saw. Our seats are directly down the sideline, so I saw it well but I could not hear what was being said. Also, it looked like Capel was reprimanding him about his play and then JWF made some kind of wisea** retort that set Capel off.

It could have become a bigger deal, but they both handled it well. I like JWF, but he seems like he can be a handful at times. Just a high-strung guy who lets his emotions get the best of him once in a while. Maybe a bit like a young Antonio Brown, before the fame and money made him completely nuts.

This is exactly what I saw. Our seats are directly down the sideline, so I saw it well but I could not hear what was being said. Also, it looked like Capel was reprimanding him about his play and then JWF made some kind of wisea** retort that set Capel off.

It could have become a bigger deal, but they both handled it well. I like JWF, but he seems like he can be a handful at times. Just a high-strung guy who lets his emotions get the best of him once in a while. Maybe a bit like a young Antonio Brown, before the fame and money made him completely nuts.
I agree about Frame being an emotional player. If you noticed last night he was the first one on the bench waving his hands to get the crowd energized.

Reactions: H2P 2003
I agree about Frame being an emotional player. If you noticed last night he was the first one on the bench waving his hands to get the crowd energized.
I thought he was pouting a bit in second half. Timeouts and stoppages. Kind of was out of it. Did jump off bench at end of game. I think he is realizing he is not the spotlight player. But he can still make history.

Think the Capel anger at JW-F was directed at him for a defensive gaffe in the 1H where he lost his man and allowed an easy score. Capel must've thought it was a lapse of focus and concentration.

But after the game I heard him compliment JW-F for an excellent box out and defensive rebound at an important juncture of the game. So I think it's no biggie.

Then I think JWF fouled on the very next defensive possession and Capel yanked him...I think that may also have been when Capel was giving it to him

I've enjoyed it every time around. The 70's, 80's and again during our last run (pre-Stallings/Barnes).

I greatly loved every second of Howland though Dixon. I even liked the first few months of Stallings.

Liked most of Willard, Evans and Chipman too!

The defensive plan, execution and effort were tremendous. Could tell they made FSU hesitant and uncomfortable.

Also Pitt really picked up the rebounding effort especially later in the game. He certainly didn't have a very productive game, but JW-F did have a textbook box out and grabbed a key rebound late. Sort of exemplified the job and resolve on the glass the Panthers displayed to help finish off the 'Noles tonight.
Pittman. OT. There was a pic of an albino deer spotted in Westmont posted on facebook today. I assume it's the same one you have posted.

As I recall, Gary M had some bad hands early on. There were a few other pretty good bigs who had bad hands earlier in their career.

I think part of it is that the game is moving fast for them and they are thinking about what they are going to do with the ball before they catch it. As brown gets more experience and PT I think you;ll see his hands improve. Its just like initiating contact and going up strong. You see glimpses of him doing that but its not consistent. The staff is working on that and hes clearly improved. I think his upside is far higher than I or anyone would have projected going into this year.
Anyone old enough to have watched Pitt when Keith Armstrong played? Talk about bad hands!

** It’s possible because Trey McGowens is proving to be an absolute elite ACC defender. He leads the conference in steals and is equally effective in man and zone defenses.

Really a huge part of his game and not talked about enough IMO. He sets the tone for the entire team. When you most skilled guy plays defense like a madman it sends a message. Toney might end up being one of the best defenders we've had in this program in a long time.

The three freshman are pure energy and fun to watch. If they could inject a little more into Brown he could be a good player. Hopefully it comes with maturity and confidence.

I agree with your mindset. But I'm daring myself to dream a little bit -- there just might be something a little special going on.
If Pitt can pull off an NIT bid let alone a bid to the big dance I told my son last night Jeff Capel should be ACC coach of the year no matter who wins the conference. After the last two years this is astounding.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT