ADVERTISEMENT

For Goodness Sake, please read Kavanaugh’s Concurring Opinion in Alston (Google is your Friend):))

Shut up.

Someone please ban this troll.

I agree players should be paid and should be employees. But the NCAA has a no pay for play rule so Addison should be ineligible. Or get rid of the rule.

None of this is structured as pay for play. Some guy around the time Quinn Ewers transferred said he needed to play 12 games this next year to get his money and then walked it back the next day because Ewers’ attorneys made it clear that wasn’t the case because that would make it pay for play and not allowed. Players, their reps, and the boosters are being super careful to make sure they avoid structuring their deals that way.

The current NIL scheme is doing like one or two in-person events within the city limits and getting the money for showing up. Maybe it’s some social media posts in top of it. Performance on the field, the team you’re representing, and games played has nothing to do with it.

Obviously if you’re required to attend events within the city for certain companies or organizations you’re kind of stuck if you want to keep getting the big money, but otherwise none of this is tied to playing for a team.

People can read into it what they will and what they’re reading is probably correct in reality, but on paper none of this is pay for play.

Honestly I don’t find this particularly egregious because the schools buying kids have always been buying kids, there just used to be some discretion so that you didn’t get caught. I doubt Robert Foster and his father got 7 figures from Bama back in the day but that’s the going rate for A&M’s guys now.

Last edited:
None of this is structured as pay for play. Some guy around the time Quinn Ewers transferred said he needed to play 12 games this next year to get his money and then walked it back the next day because Ewers’ attorneys made it clear that wasn’t the case because that would make it pay for play and not allowed. Players, their reps, and the boosters are being super careful to make sure they avoid structuring their deals that way.

The current NIL scheme is doing like one or two in-person events within the city limits and getting the money for showing up. Maybe it’s some social media posts in top of it. Performance on the field, the team you’re representing, and games played has nothing to do with it.

Obviously if you’re required to attend events within the city for certain companies or organizations you’re kind of stuck if you want to keep getting the big money, but otherwise none of this is tied to playing for a team.

People can read into it what they will and what they’re reading is probably correct in reality, but on paper none of this is pay for play.

Honestly I don’t find this particularly egregious because the schools buying kids have always been buying kids, there just used to be some discretion so that you didn’t get caught. I doubt Robert Foster and his father got 7 figures from Bama back in the day but that’s the going rate for A&M’s guys now.
It is pay for play because college kids that nobody heard of are making more in "marketing deals" than the marketing deals of household names who are NFL stars

Bring a suit in court to challenge it.
No, I'm asking you what happens in the game. Narduzzi says, "Petrishen is playing today or we aren't playing. He has an NIL deal worth 25K and we cant deny him of that. There is no law saying he cant play." Does the game get played or not?

OP, we get it you want the players paid and paid well. You do realize this would be the end of major college football as we know it. A AAA farm system for the NFL with college names attached to it hardly seems exciting. Be careful for what you wish for!

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Here’s the thing. About 50% of posts I read on this site re: NIL, Transferring and pay for play (legal) are erroneous. Kavanaugh’s opinion is only 5 pages with little legalese. Very easy to read. What Kavanaugh makes clear is that the NCAA business model was built on price fixing where athletic oligarchs got rich at the expense of free labor. That conduct the Supreme Court unanimously found was illegal.
Reading on in Kavanaugh opinion, he is correctly pissed off at the NCAA for their illegal price fixing. In fact he implicitly dares the NCAA to litigate any barriers they seek to impose on compensation for athletes. There is such a case moving now through the very same courts as Alston. It’s called House v. NCAA. The plaintiffs in that case are college atheletes from 2015-present who demand back pay. Kavanaugh,,and I suspect the rest of the Sc.T. must be salivating to hear this one. If I’m counsel for NCAA, my advice is “SETTLE NOW”!
So what’s next? My guess is class action for atheletes since advent of first major TV contracts (circa 1983?) through 2014 for back pay.
In any event, it’s not complicated. But do read Kavanaugh simple 5 page concurring.
Kavanaughs concurring opinion suggests legislation as an alternative.
It’s been my experience that the more complicated the legislation the more prone it is to being manipulated in ways it’s authors did not envision. The Internal Revenue Code is Exhibit A.
I prefer one of two methods.
My first preference is to strip the Not for Profit status chicanery at once. Revenue is one thing, profit is a different matter.
Very few athletic departments operate under a true profit.
Even places like Ohio State and Texas rely upon “donations” to operate in the black. Those contributions count as revenue if the 501 status is removed. Likewise, the loss of a charitable donation makes giving less enticing.
If the OSU athletic machine were responsible for being taxed, it would fall down to earth a bit.
That act to temper the market a bit.
It would also open the door for minor league football. An idea whose time has come IMO.
The second option is to have all interested schools participate in a new Constitutional Convention. If you do not want to sign on, don’t.

Reactions: APanther
OP, we get it you want the players paid and paid high. You do realize this would be the end of major college football as we know it. A AAA farm system for the NFL with college names attached to it hardly seems exciting. Be careful for what you wish for!

Totally agree. The worst part of this is that major college sports is already destroyed as we know it, IMHO. There will still be those who watch this stuff, but more will leave it behind now. It's been bastardized and is more corrupt than it's ever been.

No, I'm asking you what happens in the game. Narduzzi says, "Petrishen is playing today or we aren't playing. He has an NIL deal worth 25K and we cant deny him of that. There is no law saying he cant play." Does the game get played or not?
I suspect “someone” (NCAA, Conference would challenge). Would the challenge be successful? I’m “guessing” it would. Guessing in that we don’t have any law on the issue. Just seems too attenuated from the main matter of player compensation.

I suspect “someone” (NCAA, Conference would challenge). Would the challenge be successful? I’m “guessing” it would. Guessing in that we don’t have any law on the issue. Just seems too attenuated from the main matter of player compensation.
I asked you if the game gets played. Narduzzi insists Petrishen is playing or the team wont play because its not illegal for him to play. Does the game get played or not?

I asked you if the game gets played. Narduzzi insists Petrishen is playing or the team wont play because its not illegal for him to play. Does the game get played or not?
Absent injunction by an interested party, game gets played. How the law works, you see.

I would like to see the rent a win opponents start charging $20-50 million a game. If the home team players are getting paid to play, why not the MAC or FBS schools. No game no fans, no TV, no win. Everyone suck the money out of the system until it collapses.

I would like to see the rent a win opponents start charging $20-50 million a game. If the home team players are getting paid to play, why not the MAC or FBS schools. No game no fans, no TV, no win. Everyone suck the money out of the system until it collapses.
Doubtful. ACC made $578MM last year.

Make implies profit, big difference from revenue. If I sell something for $100 that costs me $95 to make, I didn't make a $100. I made $5. If it costs me $110, I didn't make anything.
Lol! So when u interview with prospective employer, they ask you your income, you give them after tax an deductions. Right? Lol!

And I do think some creativity would help with NIL. It isn't illegal to cut NIL deals with refs.

So Alabama, Georgia, LSU, aTm etc have boosters pay a couple hundred million to players. Vanderbilt pays $3 million to the refs. Every opponent scoring play gets a flag. Vandy wins the SEC.

Lol! So when u interview with prospective employer, they ask you your income, you give them after tax an deductions. Right? Lol!
What employers ask you for your income? You're confused, or short on knowledge of financial terms.

This is going to get so much uglier until college sports is completely blown to oblivion. That would be better than what is happening now.

What employers ask you for your income? You're confused, or short on knowledge of financial terms.

LOL! That's a good one. The job pays what it pays, right? If I did my due diligence, I know what the job pays and if it fits my income requirements. It's none of the prospective employer's business what I make. If they ask, I walk away from that one.

Deservedly so. Look, as if not obvious, no poster can threaten nor endorse violence. Hopefully they learn their lesson.

I agree and posts like that need to be brought to the attention of the mods. I absolutely disagree with any type of violence or physical revenge threats against anyone, no matter the reason. I was talking about reasonable posts that don't contain any threats, obscenities, or derogatory comments against anyone else, including name calling. Those have also been deleted for no good reason. That's extreme censorship and has to stop.

I agree and posts like that need to be brought to the attention of the mods. I absolutely disagree with any type of violence or physical revenge threats against anyone, no matter the reason. I was talking about reasonable posts that don't contain any threats, obscenities, or derogatory comments against anyone else, including name calling. Those have also been deleted for no good reason. That's extreme censorship and has to stop.
It’s the Lair’s site. They can impose whatever rules they want. Threatening violence, I agree, is a whole other level. Glad Lair responded immediately once reported.

It’s the Lair’s site. They can impose whatever rules they want. Threatening violence, I agree, is a whole other level. Glad Lair responded immediately once reported.
Rules suddenly matter to you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT