ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Broyles Award Finalist

Maybe the biggest mistake of Narduzzi’s career at Pitt. Part of the reason I dislike Narduzzi is his hatred of even moderately successful offensive coaches. Which will eventually be the reason Narduzzi fails at Pitt. There is absolutely no indication that Narduzzi is going to hire anyone better than Cignetti. The next OC will almost certainly be a washed up retread that produces similar results

Maybe the biggest mistake of Narduzzi’s career at Pitt. Part of the reason I dislike Narduzzi is his hatred of even moderately successful offensive coaches. Which will eventually be the reason Narduzzi fails at Pitt. There is absolutely no indication that Narduzzi is going to hire anyone better than Cignetti. The next OC will almost certainly be a washed up retread that produces similar results
Yeah what a miss. I was wrong about Marion for sure.

He is a Big Ten coach who absolutely believes in running the ball and playing tough defense (stopping the run and getting to the QB on 3rd and long).

His philosophy is that quick scoring offenses wears the defense down. This is problematic for his defensive schemes because the DB’s are asked to do a lot and are left on an island.

However, it’s a much different game today. The offenses are so complexed that you must produce a lot of points to win. He doesn’t accept that.

He wants “balance” on offense to make it all work. There is no flexibility.

If we had hired Marion we probably would have kept Addison and been better last year. Probably 10 regular season wins or 11.

But I’m sure Marion would have left after losing JA and then this year we would have a new OC.

But it would have been better than Frank.

He is a Big Ten coach who absolutely believes in running the ball and playing tough defense (stopping the run and getting to the QB on 3rd and long).

His philosophy is that quick scoring offenses wears the defense down. This is problematic for his defensive schemes because the DB’s are asked to do a lot and are left on an island.

However, it’s a much different game today. The offenses are so complexed that you must produce a lot of points to win. He doesn’t accept that.

He wants “balance” on offense to make it all work. There is no flexibility.

I agree with this. I believe he doesn't want offenses to score too much because scoring a lot of points means many short, quick-scoring drives which leaves his defense exposed. He probably has nightmares of the 45-44 wins in the Canada year and probably blames him for his defense getting lit up.

I agree with this. I believe he doesn't want offenses to score too much because scoring a lot of points means many short, quick-scoring drives which leaves his defense exposed. He probably has nightmares of the 45-44 wins in the Canada year and probably blames him for his defense getting lit up.
BINGO. He will not change. The key for Narduzzi, is he must find a an OC and a QB that will give him balance. A QB that won’t turn the ball over and can convert passes on 3rd down.

He definitely needs some guidance when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. He’s made some bad personnel decisions concerning players and coaches.

He should have stepped in last year a replaced Slovis with Patti. It cost Pitt a couple of games.

his hatred of even moderately successful offensive coaches...ok, I'll bite, why would he hate these guys? Who the hell would hate someone that helps you win? Kind of an absurd point in that it makes no sense whatsoever...

Reactions: 303vND and NCPitt
his hatred of even moderately successful offensive coaches...ok, I'll bite, why would he hate these guys? Who the hell would hate someone that helps you win? Kind of an absurd point in that it makes no sense whatsoever...
He was the guy that in the year his team went 11-3, averaged 40+ ppg and 500+ ypg, and won the ACC Championship complained about passing the ball too much.

Given Marion's track record, he only would have served as OC for one year I'm sure -- especially if he was successful in that one season and others then would be making him offers. But really, how successful do you think we would have been with Slovis, even if you keep Addison? Certainly not National Championship contenders IMO.

He was the guy that in the year his team went 11-3, averaged 40+ ppg and 500+ ypg, and won the ACC Championship complained about passing the ball too much.
Yes, because he thinks like a defensive coordinator.

His defense gave up a lot of points that year as well. His thought process is that the defense gave up a lot of points because the offense wasn’t balanced enough to take time off the clock and it wore out the defense.

Clown world.

Absolute nonsense.

His defense gave up a lot of points that year as well. His thought process is that the defense gave up a lot of points because the offense wasn’t balanced enough to take time off the clock and it wore out the defense.
So, he doesn't see that his best year happened when his preferred type of football wasn't used?

complained <> hate... I complain about my wife a lot but love the heck out of her...try again..

complained <> hate... I complain about my wife a lot but love the heck out of her...try again..
Don't need to try again, that's a bad analogy, you have the very best year of your career by far and you complain about passing too much? It should have been a wakeup call to make him think he should continue to pass too much.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
He's the coaching equivalent of Greg Cross on the message board.

He stopped for a cup of coffee, pretended like he made Addison good, and recruiting nobody. Maybe we can send him Che and Copeland to free up some roster spots.

Now that Slovis is benched at BYU, he's all the told you so posters can talk about.

So, he doesn't see that his best year happened when his preferred type of football wasn't used?
Yes, but he saw lots of times his defense was gassed in the 4th quarter. He attributes that to the lack of balance on offense. I’m not saying I agree or disagree, I’m saying based on what he says and does, that is how he thinks.

Based on that, he will be looking for an OC that he feels will balance the offense and above all, be able to develop QB’s and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, something Cignetti hasn’t been able to do.

I agree with your statement.
What Narduzzi fails to understand is that games with more possessions will have more points scored. He wants to limit the points given up which is great. But in doing so he is limiting his own team's scoring even more so. Limiting the other team's possessions also limits your own.
His gym teacher degree must not have included math as the actual point is to score more points than the opposition.
He reminds me of the movie Remember the Titans where there are co-coaches and they argue about the offense and defence. Lincoln Riley and Narduzzi would be great as co-coaches.

Reactions: Ronnyp91
What Narduzzi fails to understand is that games with more possessions will have more points scored. He wants to limit the points given up which is great. But in doing so he is limiting his own team's scoring even more so. Limiting the other team's possessions also limits your own.
His gym teacher degree must not have included math as the actual point is to score more points than the opposition.
He reminds me of the movie Remember the Titans where there are co-coaches and they argue about the offense and defence. Lincoln Riley and Narduzzi would be great as co-coaches.
Lincoln Riley thinks the opposite. His problem is his defense is so bad he runs out of time to score more points…

Reactions: USN_Panther
Ask him. He essentially chased off Canada and Whipple. Easily the 2 best OC’s he hired.

Have you watched B10 football? Its a weird mentality where they want a slow paced game where the defense. Narduzzi woild prefer to win 20-10. Long drives by the offense, winding clock. Few possessions. Probably feels his defense cannot compete in these shootout type games.

If it were Narduzzi’s biggest mistake don’t you think another P5 coach would’ve hired Marion in the past 2 years?

He never called plays above the FCS level and even at that level it was with mixed results. He also never coached at the P5 level previous to Pitt. I think Marion is a good coach and could be a very good one, but let’s temper our expectations.

If it were Narduzzi’s biggest mistake don’t you think another P5 coach would’ve hired Marion in the past 2 years?

He never called plays above the FCS level and even at that level it was with mixed results. He also never coached at the P5 level previous to Pitt. I think Marion is a good coach and could be a very good one, but let’s temper our expectations.

He was already here and part of a historic offense. And there was always the chance Addison would have stayed

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't know why a good offense can't also run the clock to give the defense time to rest. Do they need to go no huddle? No.

Be dynamic and work the clock.

He’s been nominated for the most prestigious award for assistant coaches in college football, and he’s 36 years old. Pitt could have taken a chance and saw what happened, it couldn’t have been any worse than what we got. That being said, I think he’s one of the hottest names in college football for D-1 teams looking for a play caller.

He’s been nominated for the most prestigious award for assistant coaches in college football, and he’s 36 years old. Pitt could have taken a chance and saw what happened, it couldn’t have been any worse than what we got. That being said, I think he’s one of the hottest names in college football for D-1 teams looking for a play caller.

Penn State. Ultimate Franklin troll move

I get what you’re saying but Narduzzi making a bad hire in Cignetti does not mean hiring Marion was the right choice. Like half of FBS teams have Broyles nominees. How many times has Matt House been a nominee?

I get what you’re saying but Narduzzi making a bad hire in Cignetti does not mean hiring Marion was the right choice. Like half of FBS teams have Broyles nominees. How many times has Matt House been a nominee?
True. But hiring him could not have had a worse outcome.
But if Pitt were putting up 50 points per game, 10-0 and winning all games 52-28, would Duzz be upset about exposing his defence?

It's a nice feather, but 57 coaches were nominated. If you recall, Narduzzi actually won it.

Your timeline doesn’t make sense. Pitt had no idea Addison was going to leave when we were hiring a new OC.

I know that. I didnt think he should have hired him to keep Addison. I think he should have hired him because he seemed like an up and coming young coach with some unique ideas. The byproduct of the hire might have meant Marion could have talked Addison off the ledge.

I know that. I didnt think he should have hired him to keep Addison. I think he should have hired him because he seemed like an up and coming young coach with some unique ideas. The byproduct of the hire might have meant Marion could have talked Addison off the ledge.
Fair point. I’ll concede that you were championing Marion before anybody knew who he was and he might turn out to be a great coach.

I've been on the board for a looong time. I'm a Pitt alumni twice over. Are you?
Absolutely not….college is for losers looking to be indoctrinated by Liberals, and paying for it. I knew my path as a teenager and after 9/11, I knew I wanted to fight for my Country, so I enlisted in the Marines and was shipped to San Diego instead of college. Honestly, most high school kids would learn infinitely more about life with the Marines core values instilled into them honor, courage, commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT