ADVERTISEMENT

FSU & Clemson question regarding CFP

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The ACC has 2 auto bids to the 14 team CFP. The Big Ten and SEC have 3 but the SEC will always get 4 or more. Would FSU and Clemson make more CFP's in the ACC, SEC, or Big Ten?

ACC is the obvious answer.

I think if things stayed the same, in most years it would be something like:

SEC 5
B10 and ND 4
ACC 2
B12 2
G5 1

I think FSU and Clemson have a better chance of finishing in the ACC Top 2 than SEC Top 5 so what's the point of the extra money then? This is why I say fanboys root for team revenue over team success and that's so so weird to me.

I think FSU and Clemson have a better chance of finishing in the ACC Top 2 than SEC Top 5 so what's the point of the extra money then?

I know this is just going to shock the crap out of you, and I can get why as a Pitt fan you apparently never even considered it, but some schools are aiming higher than just making the playoff.

I mean not us. Clearly. But other schools.

I know this is just going to shock the crap out of you, and I can get why as a Pitt fan you apparently never even considered it, but some schools are aiming higher than just making the playoff.

I mean not us. Clearly. But other schools.

I get that. But that doesn't answer my question. You cant win the CFP if you arent in it.

I mean, a 13-0 FSU didn't make the 4 team cut this year. Does that ever happen to a 13-0 SEC or BIG team? Even if they lose every starter
they would still be in the top 4.

Competitively it makes sense. When has the ACC ever had two top tier teams in the same season though?

Unfortunately these schools only think about the financial gains first. They want the revenue over the opportunity to win national championships.

It's insane when you think about all the ACC schools who are rumored to leave. It's like 'wait a minute, this is your faults the conference fell behind the arms race!!'.

But yeah, they would 100% make more playoffs by competing in the ACC, at a high level mind level.

I mean, a 13-0 FSU didn't make the 4 team cut this year. Does that ever happen to a 13-0 SEC or BIG team? Even if they lose every starter
they would still be in the top 4.

Lets not bring that up. They shouldn't habe made it. They didnt have a QB and 12-1 Bama was significantly better than 13-0 FSU without Travis.

You’re going to have no chance to compete on the field in a few years once the dust settles if you aren’t in the Big 2.

As Peak said earlier this week on his podcast: Pitt *has* to find a way to be at the table when all of this shakes out, whatever that table is.

They table isn’t going to be the ACC.

Need to be more clear. Boosters buy players and that money isnt part of the equation.

It’s almost like the people running the schools have a really good idea of what is going to be part of the equation.

Either you’re smarter than the two football powers of the ACC or you’re not. That’s really what this comes down to.
I’m sure you’re a really smart guy, but I’m going with them.

As we have seen in many of these cases, programs have left situations were they had a much easier path to the playoffs for $$$.

It’s almost like the people running the schools have a really good idea of what is going to be part of the equation.

Either you’re smarter than the two football powers of the ACC or you’re not. That’s really what this comes down to.
I’m sure you’re a really smart guy, but I’m going with them.

You arent giving specifics. And yes, I am smarter than many of the people at FSU making these decisions. Their decision is based SOLELY on fear (of being left behind) and money, not football success.

1. There is a 0% chance of FSU getting left behind.

2. Players go to the highest bidders and are paid by boosters. There will soon be some form of university payment to the players but it appears that will he capped at 30K. So, again, its a booster thing. The SEC money doesnt help them make more CFP's or win more NC's.

You arent giving specifics. And yes, I am smarter than many of the people at FSU making these decisions. Their decision is based SOLELY on fear (of being left behind) and money, not football success.

1. There is a 0% chance of FSU getting left behind.

2. Players go to the highest bidders and are paid by boosters. There will soon be some form of university payment to the players but it appears that will he capped at 30K. So, again, its a booster thing. The SEC money doesnt help them make more CFP's or win more NC's.

Nothing is getting capped

I get that. But that doesn't answer my question. You cant win the CFP if you arent in it.

It does answer your question, but you just can't seem to grasp the obvious.

If I gave you a choice, over the next ten years Pitt could make the playoff seven times, make the semis two times, and not win any championship, or they could make the playoff four times, make the semis two times, and win a championship, which one of those would you pick?

Because it seems pretty obvious that you'd pick the first one. And it's also pretty obvious that almost all fans would pick the second one.

It does answer your question, but you just can't seem to grasp the obvious.

If I gave you a choice, over the next ten years Pitt could make the playoff seven times, make the semis two times, and not win any championship, or they could make the playoff four times, make the semis two times, and win a championship, which one of those would you pick?

Because it seems pretty obvious that you'd pick the first one. And it's also pretty obvious that almost all fans would pick the second one.

I'd pick the NC. But are you saying that FSU has a better chance of winning a NC out of the B10 or SEC? That would require a Top 5 out of 18-20 finish in the SEC just to make the tournament. Its hard to win it if you arent in it.

It is not about the path it is about what happens when you get there. In the age of schools paying players the schools with the most money will be the most successful.

The ACC or Big 12 or whatever that is going to be, is going to be the little kid’s table when this thing is over.

You aren’t ever winning a national title at that table. Because you are going to be perceived as exactly what you are.

And you’re not going to be able to overcome the money and the perception that you’re inferior, on the recruiting trail.

And so you’re never going to have the talent capable of winning a national title.

Reactions: h2p_5150
It is not about the path it is about what happens when you get there. In the age of schools paying players the schools with the most money will be the most successful.

It's amazing that he can't understand as simple a concept as that.

If you make the playoffs but are a two touchdown underdog in the semis, and then if you pull that big upset you are two touchdown underdog again in the championship game, you aren't winning the championship. If your goal is winning the championship, losing in your first game isn't all that much different than not making the tournament at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT