ADVERTISEMENT

Future fb opponents? Did Heather

I have info on some ongoing negotiations but I received a stern email this morning telling me to not divulge info because it will jeopardize ongoing negotiations..

Wow am I funny, I crack myself up.. in all seriousness, I don't think anything has been released recently.. wvu in '22 25. '21 is shaping up to be cupcake central, we have Tennessee but to get another P5 team, we have to return favor and I don't see any spots until '24 and I doubt a respectable team will agree to play at Heinz in '21 and not expect us to come back for another 3 years..

all you guys screaming for mickey mouse OOC scheduling, take a bow because your wishes have come true..

I have info on some ongoing negotiations but I received a stern email this morning telling me to not divulge info because it will jeopardize ongoing negotiations..

Wow am I funny, I crack myself up.. in all seriousness, I don't think anything has been released recently.. wvu in '22 25. '21 is shaping up to be cupcake central, we have Tennessee but to get another P5 team, we have to return favor and I don't see any spots until '24 and I doubt a respectable team will agree to play at Heinz in '21 and not expect us to come back for another 3 years..

all you guys screaming for mickey mouse OOC scheduling, take a bow because your wishes have come true..
It may come true but it will be random. They'll look to fill gaps based on how convenient and cost efficient it is, plus working around obligations of the new ACC network, of ESPN's etc.

If that means some 'easy' games, or if it means scheduling additional games with tougher than desired opponents that might jeopardize our rankings manipulation ... that's a priority of fans, not the school.

Those who want Pitt to buy one and dones with strategically easy low level FBS teams must realize how expensive this has become. Since every other P5 sadly looks to do the same, it pushes the fee for such games sky high. Since our sales and attendance will be garbage for such games, we don't get that money back from the customer either.

Like with scholarship limits, instead of bidding wars with PSU, et al for Coastal Carolina games, what Pitt and others like us should be doing is working for reform, for consistent scheduling guidelines.

Reactions: gary2
It may come true but it will be random. They'll look to fill gaps based on how convenient and cost efficient it is, plus working around obligations of the new ACC network, of ESPN's etc.

If that means some 'easy' games, or if it means scheduling additional games with tougher than desired opponents that might jeopardize our rankings manipulation ... that's a priority of fans, not the school.

Those who want Pitt to buy one and dones with strategically easy low level FBS teams must realize how expensive this has become. Since every other P5 sadly looks to do the same, it pushes the fee for such games sky high. Since our sales and attendance will be garbage for such games, we don't get that money back from the customer either.

Like with scholarship limits, instead of bidding wars with PSU, et al for Coastal Carolina games, what Pitt and others like us should be doing is working for reform, for consistent scheduling guidelines.
I have zero info but I am assuming that Heather will continue the scheduling trend of 2 P5 games, an easy home and home and a rent-a-win scrimmage with FCS teams..

There will be some exceptions, '20 f course will only have ND on it. I don't see '21 getting a 2nd P5 team either but '22, '23 and '25 already have two P5 opponents..

We can afford to buy an FCS scrimmage but you are right, the days of us paying for an FBS team to come here without a return to their place is gone.. we are playing at marshall in '20, at Cincy (I know they are not low level) in '24.. we will continue to get that 7th home game against d1-aa schools only..

Why do FBS teams pay FCS teams for games.
It appears to be a waste of money for a program like PITT.
If FCS teams can't afford to travel to bad find a program that can.
There are plenty of bad FBS teams without their hands out to pick from so a program like PITT doesn't have to pay for play.
Something tells me this is another one of those " share the wealth" college sports programs since FBS teams have large conference payouts.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams

There are plenty of bad FBS teams without their hands out to pick from so a program like PITT doesn't have to pay for play.
Something tells me this is another one of those " share the wealth" college sports programs since FBS teams have large conference payouts.

Go PITT & CSU Rams
some good questions arise here. Is pitt better off buying a 7th home game against a FCS team (Albany, new Hampshire) vs playing a home and home with a bad FBS team (Akron, FIU). I don't know the answer to that.

I remember after that abysmal game in akron during rain storm in front of 18 people. tv production looked like something from the 80's with a vhs camcorder. the AD at the time said pitt will no longer schedule home and homes with non P5 teams. I didn't like that, even though that game was a nightmare and the away game at FIU was embarrassingly bad too, I think there are good home and homes (cincy for example).

I have zero info but I am assuming that Heather will continue the scheduling trend of 2 P5 games, an easy home and home and a rent-a-win scrimmage with FCS teams..

There will be some exceptions, '20 f course will only have ND on it. I don't see '21 getting a 2nd P5 team either but '22, '23 and '25 already have two P5 opponents..

We can afford to buy an FCS scrimmage but you are right, the days of us paying for an FBS team to come here without a return to their place is gone.. we are playing at marshall in '20, at Cincy (I know they are not low level) in '24.. we will continue to get that 7th home game against d1-aa schools only..

I actually am looking forward to going to Marshall and Cincy games. When was in the field I used to work the South OH market and Huntington WV was apart of it. I thought Huntington was a cool town (only there for 1 night) and I look forward to visiting it again. I think Cincy is a crappy town (was there 3 days a week for over 2 years) but I like Nippert Stadium. It is a nice venue to watch the game. plus about 30 minutes from campus is a great BBQ joint. I been a few places in the south and KC. This place called Eli's was better then them.

Reactions: paulbl99
I actually am looking forward to going to Marshall and Cincy games. When was in the field I used to work the South OH market and Huntington WV was apart of it. I thought Huntington was a cool town (only there for 1 night) and I look forward to visiting it again. I think Cincy is a crappy town (was there 3 days a week for over 2 years) but I like Nippert Stadium. It is a nice venue to watch the game. plus about 30 minutes from campus is a great BBQ joint. I been a few places in the south and KC. This place called Eli's was better then them.
I think more home and homes with respectable non P5 opponents is the way to go.. Its a nice compromise from people like me who like playing P5 games and the "schedule cupcakes" crowd..

These games are games a good pitt program should win but far from being any kind of guarantee. an opponent we don't fear but that doesn't bore us. a win that you wont have to apologize for after like a new Hampshire, Albany, game..

Go PITT & CSU Rams
Can you name any of these plentiful bad FBS teams that wouldn't want a big payout for a home-and-done game? Please share these names with Heather Lyke as well.

some good questions arise here. Is pitt better off buying a 7th home game against a FCS team (Albany, new Hampshire) vs playing a home and home with a bad FBS team (Akron, FIU). I don't know the answer to that.

I remember after that abysmal game in akron during rain storm in front of 18 people. tv production looked like something from the 80's with a vhs camcorder. the AD at the time said pitt will no longer schedule home and homes with non P5 teams. I didn't like that, even though that game was a nightmare and the away game at FIU was embarrassingly bad too, I think there are good home and homes (cincy for example).

Worst game I ever attended lol. What an absolute weather disaster lol.

Can you name any of these plentiful bad FBS teams that wouldn't want a big payout for a home-and-done game? Please share these names with Heather Lyke as well.
yeah, these don't exist. it makes sense for a school like tosu to pay kent state 800k to play, they are gonna make millions back in ticket revenue. for pitt to compete and pay a school even 500k (that's if they agree), we'd be losing money.. FYI, the cost for even FCS games is well over 500k. Tosu paid navy 1 million to play in Columbus..

so our options are, either play a home and home with a non P5 FBS program, buy an FCS team to come here because we can still afford that or pay a lower level FBS team market value to come here and take a loss with the finances..

I do believe we are doing this with Ohio U. I don't think we are returning the favor. i'd be curious how much we paid.. I mean it's pitt so we will never know but would be nice..

Last edited:

Keep in mind the x factor when looking at the degree of difficulty in a future schedule is who we have to play in the crossover game. For instance in 2021 we have two ooc games scheduled in NHampshire and a road tilt at SEC opponent Tennessee . But this is the year when Clemson finally comes to town.So yes your other two ooc games better be games that should be wins against a non power five team like a AAC or CUSA or another MAC opponent.In 2020 our ooc is in line with just about every other power five school when we have Marshall, Richmond, Miami of Ohio and Notre Dame scheduled. So at least 3-1 (hopefully ) in ooc . But this year we have a crossover road game at FSU and you know they will be back to form by then. In 2020 then we will have road games at FSU, Virginia,Miami , NCarolina and Marshall. WE must get 3 wins in ooc games and at least have a fighters chance against the brand name team.

What I said was why don't we ( PITT) play other FBS teams who don't want to be paid to play PITT at home.
My point is PITT get out of the pay to play FCS teams since it appears to be a waste of money for PITT.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Keep in mind the x factor when looking at the degree of difficulty in a future schedule is who we have to play in the crossover game. For instance in 2021 we have two ooc games scheduled in NHampshire and a road tilt at SEC opponent Tennessee . But this is the year when Clemson finally comes to town.So yes your other two ooc games better be games that should be wins against a non power five team like a AAC or CUSA or another MAC opponent.In 2020 our ooc is in line with just about every other power five school when we have Marshall, Richmond, Miami of Ohio and Notre Dame scheduled. So at least 3-1 (hopefully ) in ooc . But this year we have a crossover road game at FSU and you know they will be back to form by then. In 2020 then we will have road games at FSU, Virginia,Miami , NCarolina and Marshall. WE must get 3 wins in ooc games and at least have a fighters chance against the brand name team.
should read - this is the year (meaning 2020) we play at FSU

Great. It's about time.

yeah, these don't exist. it makes sense for a school like tosu to pay kent state 800k to play, they are gonna make millions back in ticket revenue. for pitt to compete and pay a school even 500k (that's if they agree), we'd be losing money.. FYI, the cost for even FCS games is well over 500k. Tosu paid navy 1 million to play in Columbus..

so our options are, either play a home and home with a non P5 FBS program, buy an FCS team to come here because we can still afford that or pay a lower level FBS team market value to come here and take a loss with the finances..

I do believe we are doing this with Ohio U. I don't think we are returning the favor. i'd be curious how much we paid.. I mean it's pitt so we will never know but would be nice..

The Miami (Ohio) RedHawks have added the Pitt Panthers to their 2020 football schedule, FBSchedules.com has learned.

A copy of the game contract was obtained from Miami University via a state open records request.

Miami will travel to face the Pitt Panthers at Heinz Field on Sept. 5, 2020. Miami will receive a $1.1 million guarantee for the game, according to the contract.

Reactions: pittdan77
What I said was why don't we ( PITT) play other FBS teams who don't want to be paid to play PITT at home.
My point is PITT get out of the pay to play FCS teams since it appears to be a waste of money for PITT.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
are you asking why we don't play more FBS teams who would rather do a home and home vs just coming here for $750k? If so, I agree. I think there are a lot of options out there.. Again though, our former AD (not Heather) was quoted as saying pitt will no longer play away non P5 FBS games.

I do not know if HL agrees or disagrees with that. id guess not since we announced a home and home with Cincy..

The Miami (Ohio) RedHawks have added the Pitt Panthers to their 2020 football schedule, FBSchedules.com has learned.

A copy of the game contract was obtained from Miami University via a state open records request.

Miami will travel to face the Pitt Panthers at Heinz Field on Sept. 5, 2020. Miami will receive a $1.1 million guarantee for the game, according to the contract.
ok, so the "pitt wont pay a FBS team to come here cause it costs too much" narrative just got blown to bits.. thanks Tiger Paul for this. every damn post I have in this thread is now moot...

I SAID GOOD DAY..

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The ACC - Notre Dame scheduling agreement is a blessing and a curse. It is cool to get to play a long time rival, but the NON every year aspect really makes scheduling other OOC matchups difficult since most places want home and away in back to back years. The once every three years(ish) part of the ND stuff makes that hard.

Another opponent for Pitt’s 2021 football schedule has been revealed, and it’s a Football Championship Subdivision foe in the New Hampshire Wildcats.
Pitt will pay New Hampshire $425,000 for the game, according to the contract provided to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, courtesy of a right-to-know request.
That’s a common price for ACC-CAA contests these days.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...ence-pittsburgh-panthers/stories/201812120177
This one is more reasonable. The million plus to Ohio is scary. Scary in that, what are other more wealthy schools paying, that do this every season? And where is it heading? 2, 3, 4 mill...

Explain this to me please.
Why should we play the Miami Redhawks and pay them $1.1 mill to come to Heinz.
If PITT found an FBS team to fill that slot we would pay $ 0 correct?
So why pay to play FCS teams?

Explain this to me please.
Why should we play the Miami Redhawks and pay them $1.1 mill to come to Heinz.
If PITT found an FBS team to fill that slot we would pay $ 0 correct?
So why pay to play FCS teams?
dude, what are you talking about. Miami of Ohio is an FBS Team.. We pay FCS and FBS teams to come here. if we cant give them a return game, we have to pay them. We pay an FCS team 425k (new Hampshire) and we pay an FBS team 1.1M (Miami)..

No wonder why im all confused, Buffet's throwing me off.. personally, we need to go back to using "D1" and "D1-AA". it's far less confusing..

dude, what are you talking about. Miami of Ohio is an FBS Team.. We pay FCS and FBS teams to come here. if we cant give them a return game, we have to pay them. We pay an FCS team 425k (new Hampshire) and we pay an FBS team 1.1M (Miami)..

No wonder why im all confused, Buffet's throwing me off.. personally, we need to go back to using "D1" and "D1-AA". it's far less confusing..
Ok I get it now.
I had the team in the wrong category.
Thanks!

Worked in Huntington years ago for two months. It is/was a cool little -- I guess college town you'd call it.

Reactions: Mikefln
Worst game I ever attended lol. What an absolute weather disaster lol.

Yes was a disaster got drenched, I had few Akron fans behind me screaming at refs like they were the Alabama of the world and they were getting screwed because the refs kept calling on Akron... plus side of it all was so wet from the game the girl I took to the game said screw it and got undressed right there in the car so she wouldn't have to be wet anymore, so I didn't complain the rest of the night haha

Reactions: Saboteur

Was that Akron game circa 1998ish? If so, that was my first live Pitt game.

Pitt should look for the best possible teams that fans do not care about. Oh wait, we already do that.

Time to think outside the box. Make a lower class team pay us $$$$ to play in their stadium. Pitt football returns to the bluff!

This one is more reasonable. The million plus to Ohio is scary. Scary in that, what are other more wealthy schools paying, that do this every season? And where is it heading? 2, 3, 4 mill...

Penn st just added Ohio, Umass

I think more home and homes with respectable non P5 opponents is the way to go.. Its a nice compromise from people like me who like playing P5 games and the "schedule cupcakes" crowd..

These games are games a good pitt program should win but far from being any kind of guarantee. an opponent we don't fear but that doesn't bore us. a win that you wont have to apologize for after like a new Hampshire, Albany, game..

If it makes more sense financially to do a home and home than buying a home game from an FCS or non P5 great. But it isn’t like a home game against Marshall or Akron is bringing out more of a crowd than Albany or YSU.

I’d rather the non P5 home and homes be with Temple, Cincy, Navy or Florida schools like USF. At least there is some traditional interest and / or it is a trip to an area the staff can double on recruiting.

Playing at Marshall is zero upside. What recruits has Pitt pulled out of there in our lifetime? Truck, next season’s walk-on FB? Maybe some prep school kids from Linsly School like Dan Stephens or maybe Tez Morris or someone?

Last edited:
That might the the only game that I attended in its entirety and never made it to my seat.

Yes was a disaster got drenched, I had few Akron fans behind me screaming at refs like they were the Alabama of the world and they were getting screwed because the refs kept calling on Akron... plus side of it all was so wet from the game the girl I took to the game said screw it and got undressed right there in the car so she wouldn't have to be wet anymore, so I didn't complain the rest of the night haha

10-2 looks a lot better at the end of the year than 7-5. Especially in the ACC. That's a top 15 finish every year no matter what the schedule.

Scrimmaging the worst possible teams in a lower classification that no one cares about is better?
I think he is more pointing to the ok st series. OK st was a horrible choice for a ooc game, for pitt. First they are really good, second even though they are really good they don't have a national draw or name. Third they don't bring many fans. So you are looking at a likely loss with not to many more fans and even if you do win it's not a game that moves the needle like say beating ND or PSU

I think he is more pointing to the ok st series. OK st was a horrible choice for a ooc game, for pitt. First they are really good, second even though they are really good they don't have a national draw or name. Third they don't bring many fans. So you are looking at a likely loss with not to many more fans and even if you do win it's not a game that moves the needle like say beating ND or PSU
Giving our ADs some benefit of doubt (though not Barnes for Stallings), they probably knew all of what you're saying... but those gaps on those days needed filled, in as cost efficient a way as possible. Those are always going to be the top requirements. Just like how salary and years of control will always trump talent and winning for the Pirates, for example. It's just how they're wired, and how our admin has traditionally been wired.

I'll say I'm truly shocked that we plunked down that million plus for Ohio. Combined with the willingness to dump Watson after a bowl season ... I will shock many here I'm sure, by saying this truly does suggest a new level of willingness to build football beyond what it is.

Last edited:
Was it really that bad of a series or did it just suck cause we got embarrassed at home? Blame the team and narduzzi for not being prepared,don’t blame the scheduling.

Freaking Rudolph and Washington could have been drafted and they come back their senior year? Who does that? Only pitt opponents, that’s who.

We win at ok state and show up at home, that series looks damn good. Psu handed our ass to us, are we upset at that series?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT