ADVERTISEMENT

FYI: Saban

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Nick Saban stated that DeShawn Hand won't be suspended for his DUI if he does what Alabama asks including a police car ride and community service. Hand is an all-American candidate. It seems all programs handle discipline in their own way.

Reactions: pbrad
His DUI is a bit different then your typical. He was sleeping in the car but because the keys were in it he got a dui.

Nick Saban stated that DeShawn Hand won't be suspended for his DUI if he does what Alabama asks including a police car ride and community service. Hand is an all-American candidate. It seems all programs handle discipline in their own way.

yep, and I don't think Bookser totally final yet either.

I called this in another thread....Sabah doesn't give a shit about the student athlete, it's win at all cost. Their LT wasn't suspended for having an unregistered gun and pot so one couldn't expect much of a punishment here...mark Emmert doesn't have the balls to step in here, he NCAA is a joke

I called this in another thread....Sabah doesn't give a shit about the student athlete, it's win at all cost. Their LT wasn't suspended for having an unregistered gun and pot so one couldn't expect much of a punishment here...mark Emmert doesn't have the balls to step in here, he NCAA is a joke
Agreed - You could substitute Joe Paterno in place of Saban too.

The top programs in the SEC take chances on kids, and handle their issues in-house. There are so many PITT fans who are up in arms about taking two kids from EMCC, one of which is a graduate transfer. Look at the players who transfer from EMCC on an annual basis; the names Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, etc. pop up constantly. They are willing to take the off-field chances knowing that these players are excellent on the field.

That is why you have to have a standard..
allow child rape.. death penalty

I'm still surprised Bookser only got one game. I really thought he'd get more. Seemed more major than Boyd's.

It is "more major" than Boyd's. That's why the State's punishment will be harsher for Bookser than it was for Boyd.

I don't think the football coach should be held to the same standard that the State is. Apples and oranges.

But, I do agree with you that I also thought Bookser would see more time on the bench.

I'm more surprised sleeping in your parked car is a dui than I am that he didn't get suspended. Not nearly as bad as driving drunk, crashing into a building and being taken out of your car by cops at gunpoint.

I know a former co-worker who got a DUI in the early 90's for sleeping in his car. Of course, he drove the car until he was ready to pass out. Pulled over, turned the car off, and passed out.

There's nothing to lead me (or the cops and judges) to believe that anyone behind the wheel of a car (with access to keys) who is drunk, wasn't at some point driving.

Probably the same people calling Boyd a thug and cheering for the cops to get this mad man off the road.
I would have no problem with Boyd not missing any games either. He was sober but because it was a week earlier it was dui. Have him do some community service and move on.

Ok....so he stopped the car, drank heavily and took a nap?
Ok by me.
Now let's talk about you buying my pet rabbit Harvey. I'll take less for cash.
It was in the parking lot where he had been drinking so he hadn't driven at all. You do realize that some people drive to bar or a party and end up drinking to much. I know many people who have decided to sleep it off before going home. In PA if the keys are in the vehicle you can be charged with dui. So the best think to do is place them on a tire or in the gas cap before you sleep.

It was in the parking lot where he had been drinking so he hadn't driven at all. You do realize that some people drive to bar or a party and end up drinking to much. I know many people who have decided to sleep it off before going home. In PA if the keys are in the vehicle you can be charged with dui. So the best think to do is place them on a tire or in the gas cap before you sleep.

So why didn't the police just wait until Monday and then call Joe?

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
The keys weren't merely "in the vehicle". They were in the ignition. I have known many people who stupidly got drunk and put the keys in the ignition only to pass out as soon as they did. Maybe the people you know are smarter than the people I know. Maybe not.
Pretty big difference.

Reactions: rockypanther
I would have no problem with Boyd not missing any games either. He was sober but because it was a week earlier it was dui. Have him do some community service and move on.
I agree with that

You could substitute Joe Paterno in place of Saban too.

I disagree. Saban isn't working a con game by trying to pass himself off as the most moral man in college sports or as the only guy running a clean program against a world full of cheaters. Saban in there to win, same as everyone else at that level. He just doesn't hide behind a bullshit image of a kindly grandpa whose true love is building libraries.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I disagree. Saban isn't working a con game by trying to pass himself off as the most moral man in college sports or as the only guy running a clean program against a world full of cheaters. Saban in there to win, same as everyone else at that level. He just doesn't hide behind a bullshit image of a kindly grandpa whose true love is building libraries.
Home study online drivers ed !

This is a perfect example of who we're competing against.. If it were Clemson etc the answer would have been the same.

Either PITT adjusts to the "new reality" in P5 college football or they'll never keep a top coach long term, they'll be .500 or a few games above .500 team forever!

Or they move to a level that supports their values which aren't P5 D1 championship values as evidenced by Alabama!

ITS ALL ABOUT WINNING!

I believe thats why Lyke is at PITT. He had was a OSU, and know small ball football and sports when at EMU.
I believe she will over time decide where PITT fits best P5 level or MAC level!

True that they do. However, Hand was arrested sleeping in a parked car, not in drive. He has no previous incidents. Bookser received a 1 game ban (against YSU), after a previous alcohol arrest, and he was driving down a busy street, tried to elude police, hit several buildings/cars, and guns had to be drawn to get him out of the car. Which suspension decision seems softer? I'd say it is easily Bookser/Pitt.

True that they do. However, Hand was arrested sleeping in a parked car, not in drive. He has no previous incidents. Bookser received a 1 game ban (against YSU), after a previous alcohol arrest, and he was driving down a busy street, tried to elude police, hit several buildings/cars, and guns had to be drawn to get him out of the car. Which suspension decision seems softer? I'd say it is easily Bookser/Pitt.
It doesnt matter if you were sleeping for a DUI. I agree Bookser's was worse but he did get a suspension, Hand did not maybe due to the fact that Alabama starts with FSU and not YSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT