ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday Experience

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
This isn’t an attendance thread because at this point we all get that what it is it is. Anyways, I will really show my age with some thoughts on the game experience yesterday.
1. Drop the Washington Nats-like race. You could hear the crowd collectively grumbling while it was happening. It’s just dumb.
2. Does ear splitting rap need to be played after EVERY play? I get that the players are young and many are into it, but c’mon.
3. Also, there’s not 73k in the crowd, they can turn down the PA volume and music volume. When you have to yell at the person next to you it’s too much.
Other than that it was nice to see a victory in those beautiful unis. Anyone else with suggestions to improve gameday experience ?

This isn’t an attendance thread because at this point we all get that what it is it is. Anyways, I will really show my age with some thoughts on the game experience yesterday.
1. Drop the Washington Nats-like race. You could hear the crowd collectively grumbling while it was happening. It’s just dumb.
2. Does ear splitting rap need to be played after EVERY play? I get that the players are young and many are into it, but c’mon.
3. Also, there’s not 73k in the crowd, they can turn down the PA volume and music volume. When you have to yell at the person next to you it’s too much.
Other than that it was nice to see a victory in those beautiful unis. Anyone else with suggestions to improve gameday experience ?
1) They should play Sweet Caroline at that juncture of the game. End of 3rd. Heck, play the song 2 or 3 times a game.
2) If it motivates the team, then keep doing it.
3) You need to create some kind of noise since the fans aren’t as loud. Also, that is nothing compared to what The U does.

Last edited:
Could not agree more on 2 and 3! Its absurd how loud the PA and music is!!!!!! I used to lidten to rap in school but this stuff is horrid. Time to cater to the paying customers not the players. Actually, there should be no music between plays and during warm-up IMO. You can't even carry on a conversation with people around you. The race thing was kinda OK but is now played out and getting really stupid but the kids I was with sorta liked it. Sweet Caroline is alright but maybe another distinctive song would be better. Overall, the Pitt in-stadium experience is pretty awful.

How about send a research group to go to games in the B10 and SEC and see what happens both outside and inside the stadium. Get 20 people, split them into 2’s and buy season tickets for Purdue, Iowa, Michigan st, Wisconsin for B10 and then Missouri, Kentucky, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina.

All schools that are around our stadium size and really schools who’s level we should be on.

Reactions: Elsalvador
The “kiddies” actually sat there in the rain until the stadium staff told them to go to the concourse.

All of the other fans were the ones that bailed as soon as it started to rain.
The kiddies did not come back dude, save for a couple rows.

Melted?

Reactions: quip

1) - Don't mind the race = with so many TV timeouts its a good distraction.

Agree completely on 2 and 3. Its embarrassingly ridiculously loud.

I used to like it when the crowd "voted" as to what song we wanted played.
In years past they use to highlight the same fan at games - there was a little boy who danced, an old lady - almost a "Tiger Paul" type character.

The band is WAAAAY better. I can hear them now.

But - just win baby - thats the best game day experience!

Reactions: quip
Dont let it rain....apparently the kiddies melt in it, like Snowflakes

The student section turned up much better than the rest of the fanbase, and a ton of people left after the rain.

God, I hate boomers like you.

In years past they use to highlight the same fan at games - there was a little boy who danced, an old lady - almost a "Tiger Paul" type character.

The band is night and day better since the new director took over. I will say one thing about PSU, they have a great band, and if the director wants to bring a little blue band to the pitt band I’m all for it.

Use the band more between plays instead of annoying music that 85% of the crowd can’t identify/relate to

So ya want a " urban school" with mostly "urban" players also recruiting "urban" players to chill on the rap??? You guys probably don't understand the influence of that culture or the popularity of the music nor do you probably understand the genius that video the basketball team shot to mac Miller..thats a recruiting tool now its plays to what the show is A CITY SCHOOL

Reactions: DiehardPanther
So ya want a " urban school" with mostly "urban" players also recruiting "urban" players to chill on the rap??? You guys probably don't understand the influence of that culture or the popularity of the music nor do you probably understand the genius that video the basketball team shot to mac Miller..thats a recruiting tool now its plays to what the show is A CITY SCHOOL

Yes. They want gameday catored to a 50+ year old white man or a relaxing afternoon where they can take their kids to in order to have “fun”. No standing!!!!

Yes. They want gameday catored to a 50+ year old white man or a relaxing afternoon where they can take their kids to in order to have “fun”. No standing!!!!

God, we were standing during the PSU game, and we had some 70 year old pitt fans behind us yelling at us to sit down on a third down.

God, we were standing during the PSU game, and we had some 70 year old pitt fans behind us yelling at us to sit down on a third down.

Which is why I say get down to sec land where they stand ALL GAME and see how they handle the 70 year old who can’t stand. Is there areas where there is no standing and you plant those people there?

How about send a research group to go to games in the B10 and SEC and see what happens both outside and inside the stadium. Get 20 people, split them into 2’s and buy season tickets for Purdue, Iowa, Michigan st, Wisconsin for B10 and then Missouri, Kentucky, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, South Carolina.

All schools that are around our stadium size and really schools who’s level we should be on.
With all the Penn Staters in Pitt's employ there should be no shortage of volunteers for this exercise :D

If it actually resulted in greater recruits, I'd say you're right.

How are schools in slave country (such as Alabama and Centre County PA) that play sh*t kicker music at games and have Klansmen galloping through the countryside, getting a majority of minority recruits, often from urban areas?

The rap (and retro rock) is basically Pitt's attempt at making our games at Heinz Field a pro stadium environment for a college team. Part of selling the recruits on playing where the Steelers play too. When we used to be one of the only stadiums selling beer, that was part of it too. Georgia Tech, another urban campus, has a similar approach to loud music and flashy jumbotron videos.

The problem is you can't fake it and it doesn't feel like a pro stadium. I think just go to marching band.

100% Agree with the Rap music and general “Noise” at every break in the action- TERRIBLE !!!
Has anyone been to a big time college game???, Ohio State, ND etc
Let the Band play!!
This imitation Steeler game thing they try to do is terrible. When the other team brings their band let them play, let our band play wtf
Has anyone ever asked the so called game day experience committee
Who likes this Crap!

The worst, or best if you like it I guess, is when they play the selection so loud, that it exceeds the capacity of the sound system and it results in squeal and distortion.

It really doesn't matter to me, i'm either pleased (or irritated) by positive (or negative) game action and therefore whatever they play is irrelevant to me either way. About the only time I notice such things are on national games during loooooonnngggg media timeouts o_O

100% Agree with the Rap music and general “Noise” at every break in the action- TERRIBLE !!!
Has anyone been to a big time college game???, Ohio State, ND etc
Let the Band play!!
This imitation Steeler game thing they try to do is terrible. When the other team brings their band let them play, let our band play wtf
Has anyone ever asked the so called game day experience committee
Who likes this Crap!
Apparently you have never been to a game in Miami. That would blow your mind.

They should have played Renegade like at the Steeler's game in the third quarter.

Chris Archer was at the game today and posted something on IG about wishing PNC Park had the Heinz Field DJ during the Steelers warmups. So yes, even pro athletes care about the music at the stadium.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
This is simple. College is for the school band. Pre game is one thing. But other than that it should be the band.

I hope the players on game day care about playing , knowing their assignments and wining as opposed to what kind of music is blaring from the sound system .
The music should be some combination of the demographic makeup of your paying customers and students .

The percentage of "kiddies" who came back wasn't different by any significant margin as the percentage of "non-kiddies" who didn't come back. There were a lot fewer people there (as anyone with half a brain would have expected) after the delay than there were before it.

Was surprised at the number of students at the beginning of the game. Perhaps it was due to homecoming. After the rain delay, there were generously about 200 students in the lower level.
btw, how does "anyone with half a brain" factor into the discussion?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
This is simple, it is still like that at every major college program.
20 yrs ago most college kiddies didn’t need safe spaces, therapy puppies and weren’t scared to tears with speech, speech they don’t agree with...like the Snowflakes

Permanently retire the "I can't stop" song that runs between plays. Terrible.

I don't have any issue with the music, but play stuff with broad appeal.

Reactions: Burgh15 and Pitt MD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT