ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game @ The Pete & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Before tonight’s game at Hemmingways, I had the pleasure of a great conversation with my “Lair friend” @Mike83.

** I reminded Mike of something he said to me about ten years ago at a pregame meetup at the now defunct Fuel & Fuddle. That night, he expressed that it wasn’t so much wins and losses that he liked best about Pitt Basketball. Instead it was the whole experience. The pregame excitement and the crowds at the bars, the energy walking up to the Pete among the throngs of fans, and how much fun it was to spend meaningful Saturday nights at the Pete.

** Turns out that Mike gave up his season tickets during the Stallings years, as unfortunately, those gifts were no longer part of Pitt Basketball.

** But what Mike and all of us were able experience this Saturday night was right up there with any of those wonderful nights from a decade ago.

** At the end of my thoughts last game, I wondered what else this season had in store for us. This night, on top of a wonderful atmosphere and a beautifully convincing win, we got to watch Blake Hinson chase history.

** At halftime, after Blake’s first 27 points, it was simply a blast to begin digging into the record books and dreaming about what it might take for Blake to vault his name above Don Hennon’s whose number hangs in the rafters.

** My friend with whom I sit warned that such pursuits needed to be secondary to a Panther win and a 10 point lead wasn’t nearly enough for him to be focused on such individual record book quests.

** But by the 14:29 mark, the Panther lead was 15, and Blake’s total had ballooned to 36 and the rest of this wonderful night was almost entirely about Blake.

** And after Blake’s layup around the 12 minute mark, he was actually outscoring the Cardinals 38-37.

** But alas, Blake was only able to muster one more measly three for the remainder of the contest. I mean, c’mon Blake. You could only score 14 points in the second half?

** Nonetheless, ending the night at 41, tied for third most in Panther history shouldn’t be considered a disappointment, right?

** But Blake is far from done chasing history. Of course, he just tied his record of 9 threes in game, and he’s just a dozen short of the Panther season triples record, while his three point shooting percentage has inched up a smidge under 43%.

** Finally, we also know Blake just scored his 1,000th point as a Panther, the 4th fastest to do so.

** But beyond these incredible numbers, Blake’s contribution is really much greater. After all, more than anyone else, Blake is the reason that Saturday nights at the Pete really matter once again.

** Blake was a huge part of last year’s success, but it felt like the soul of that team could be found mostly among our quartet of senior guards, particularly Jamarius Burton.

** This team however, is unquestionably Blake’s.

** And when the prospects for the season looked unquestionably bleak, it was Blake’s incredible 7 of 7 from deep followed by standing on top of the table in front of the Cameron Crazies that started the Panthers trek toward the bubble.

** I don’t wish to minimize the leadership of Coach Capel in this 7-1 stretch. Our guys have found themselves playing the way exactly the way Jeff wants them to.

** Still, over this 8 game stretch, Blake is averaging 21.5 PPG. He’s shooting 51% from three. Without a doubt, he’s the reason his teammates believe in themselves once again.

** Tonight, as a team, the Panthers moved the ball to the tune of 22 assists on 30 baskets. It’s always a little more encouraging to move the ball into hands of a player like Blake who you believe is going to do exciting things with it.

** However, after this spectacular Saturday night though, it’s time for all of us to move on.

** Simply stated, a win in Winston-Salem on Tuesday might even be enough to move our Panthers from the next four out to the last four in. This game is that important.

** But congratulations to the entire Panther squad for finding themselves in such an impressive way to make this Saturday night so much fun. They all deserve our appreciation.

** So I’ll close with one last special appreciation to Blake Hinson on his special night. Every one of us at the Pete tonight were very thankful of your gift of making the whole Pitt Basketball experience wonderful again.

@DT_PITT That was FUN!!! Gotta keep it going. This team is playing REALLY well right now. Both ends. And just so explosive! 💥🧨

Of course, now the biggest game becomes the NEXT game. When you’re in the hunt, that’s how it works.

But for the most involved fans, these are the times that make Pitt hoops so enjoyable.

Blake was obviously stole the show but I thought Fede had a really good game as well. It seems to me he’s steadily elevated his play during the stretch run and hopefully that trend continues.
Absolutely no doubt about it.

** So I’ll close with one last special appreciation to Blake Hinson on his special night. Every one of us at the Pete tonight were very thankful of your gift of making the whole Pitt Basketball experience wonderful again.

👍

You don't get to see a performance like that live and in person very often, that's for sure.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Blake was obviously stole the show but I thought Fede had a really good game as well. It seems to me he’s steadily elevated his play during the stretch run and hopefully that trend continues.
Yeah. FF looks more aggressive and instinctive. Less tentative and hesitant.

Nice to see him knock down those 2 FT’s early. 😃

** Before tonight’s game at Hemmingways, I had the pleasure of a great conversation with my “Lair friend” @Mike83.

** I reminded Mike of something he said to me about ten years ago at a pregame meetup at the now defunct Fuel & Fuddle. That night, he expressed that it wasn’t so much wins and losses that he liked best about Pitt Basketball. Instead it was the whole experience. The pregame excitement and the crowds at the bars, the energy walking up to the Pete among the throngs of fans, and how much fun it was to spend meaningful Saturday nights at the Pete.

** Turns out that Mike gave up his season tickets during the Stallings years, as unfortunately, those gifts were no longer part of Pitt Basketball.

** But what Mike and all of us were able experience this Saturday night was right up there with any of those wonderful nights from a decade ago.

** At the end of my thoughts last game, I wondered what else this season had in store for us. This night, on top of a wonderful atmosphere and a beautifully convincing win, we got to watch Blake Hinson chase history.

** At halftime, after Blake’s first 27 points, it was simply a blast to begin digging into the record books and dreaming about what it might take for Blake to vault his name above Don Hennon’s whose number hangs in the rafters.

** My friend with whom I sit warned that such pursuits needed to be secondary to a Panther win and a 10 point lead wasn’t nearly enough for him to be focused on such individual record book quests.

** But by the 14:29 mark, the Panther lead was 15, and Blake’s total had ballooned to 36 and the rest of this wonderful night was almost entirely about Blake.

** And after Blake’s layup around the 12 minute mark, he was actually outscoring the Cardinals 38-37.

** But alas, Blake was only able to muster one more measly three for the remainder of the contest. I mean, c’mon Blake. You could only score 14 points in the second half?

** Nonetheless, ending the night at 41, tied for third most in Panther history shouldn’t be considered a disappointment, right?

** But Blake is far from done chasing history. Of course, he just tied his record of 9 threes in game, and he’s just a dozen short of the Panther season triples record, while his three point shooting percentage has inched up a smidge under 43%.

** Finally, we also know Blake just scored his 1,000th point as a Panther, the 4th fastest to do so.

** But beyond these incredible numbers, Blake’s contribution is really much greater. After all, more than anyone else, Blake is the reason that Saturday nights at the Pete really matter once again.

** Blake was a huge part of last year’s success, but it felt like the soul of that team could be found mostly among our quartet of senior guards, particularly Jamarius Burton.

** And when the prospects for the season looked unquestionably bleak, it was Blake’s incredible 7 of 7 from deep followed by standing on top of the table in front of the Cameron Crazies that started the Panthers trek toward the bubble.

** I don’t wish to minimize the leadership of Coach Capel in this 7-1 stretch. Our guys have found themselves playing the way exactly the way Jeff wants them to.

** Still, over this 8 game stretch, Blake is averaging 21.5 PPG. He’s shooting 51% from three. Without a doubt, he’s the reason his teammates believe in themselves once again.

** Tonight, as a team, the Panthers moved the ball to the tune of 22 assists on 30 baskets. It’s always a little more encouraging to move the ball into hands of a player like Blake who you believe is going to do exciting things with it.

** However, after this spectacular Saturday night though, it’s time for all of us to move on.

** Simply stated, a win in Winston-Salem on Tuesday might even be enough to move our Panthers from the next four out to the last four in. This game is that important.

** But congratulations to the entire Panther squad for finding themselves in such an impressive way to make this Saturday night so much fun. They all deserve our appreciation.

** But I’ll close with one last special appreciation to Blake Hinson on his special night. Every one of us at the Pete tonight were very thankful of your gift of making the whole Pitt Basketball experience wonderful again.

Blake Hinson has been a stud since the Syracuse loss. All credit for stepping his game up, and his shooting and coming out of the slump, and his rebounding up multiple notches to get us where we are. Even his dribble penetration looks decent and way better than earlier in the season. And extra credit for his leadership which I personally underrated. Shout out to him for being a senior leader and keeping our guys confident when it looked like we were folding earlier on. Props to him for believing and turning this whole thing around.

With all that said, Jaland Lowe has also been a force since the Syracuse loss. And with all due respect to Blake who gets it done on 1 end of the floor (offense), Lowe is getting it done on both ends of the floor. He didn't have his best game today, but he has been a force lately and Lowe has been red hot in ACC road games. And Lowe has been a complete menace on defense to go along with his offense.

We need both of these guys to bring it to win next game. Along with Fede now giving effort while having juice in his body.

There is confidence and a belief to win and go out and beat anybody with this team. These guys have bought in. Lets finish this season strong.

Wanted to toss in this little referee story.

Along with Ted Valentine and Tommy Morrissey, the third member of the crew was Jenna Reneau.

We all know that Teddy is long in the tooth, while Tommy is has been around for a couple of years. But to my memory, this was the first time we've ever seen Jenna at the Pete, if not even for any Pitt game at all. She seems quite young in age as well.

So early in the game, she called a foul on Ish Leggett which was an iffy call, but certainly not the worst call I've ever seen. But like I said, very questionable at best. And she blew the whistle late, after that ball did not go in the basket.

As she announced the call, the game went to a TV timeout and the teams and coaches came onto the court and Capel said something to her. He wasn't animated but definitely seemed to voice his displeasure.

And immediately, she gave Jeff a technical foul.

Personally, I think this was a very amateurish call on her part. Refs should learn to have thicker skin and Jeff wasn't doing anything to "ask" for the T. When you make a questionable call like that, you almost need to expect a coach to say something. It's part of the game.

In my mind, it was the worst T call since James Breeding called Jamie for a T when he pointed to the scoreboard in a game when fouls were 7-1 against Pitt.

But after the T call, Jenna went over to the opposite foul line and stood with Morrisey. Seconds later, Teddy ran over to her and talked to her for the entire duration of the TV timeout. He seemed to be pretty deliberate in his conversation. I would love to know what he was saying to her.

After Teddy was done talking to Jenna, he ran back to Capel and chatted with him and Capel seemed nod in approval.

Perhaps Jenna will end up being an excellent ref and I hope she got some experience lessons from Teddy today.

Moe-bservations:

*41 pts on 14-24 (including 9-13 from 3) FG shooting - as someone who's watched Pitt Basketball from 1970 forward, I haven't seen ANY Pitt player have such a game - Blake Hinson, thanks for the lasting memory

*22 assists on 30 made FG's is NBA-like. Noticeably missing from any assists given was Blake Hinson ... oh, almost forgot ... he scored 14 FG's of which maybe just a few weren't as a result of his teammates' assists

*The only "POOR" thing we did was not poor at all ... Points Off Offensive Rebounds (POOR is the acronym) was a HUGE factor in tonight's game

*The ACCN announcer duo said it, and I am beginning to agree, that Ish Leggett has a strong case for 6th man of the year award

*22 assists and only 3 turnovers! True, the Cards were missing two of their starting guards; still, that is an amazing stat

*The freshmen guards didn't score a ton of points but their game was solid. Bub had a couple hiccups and J-Lowe had a sloppy turnover, but their overall contribution was stellar

*Fede played an overall B+ game. Their center had been averaging almost 20 ppg over the past several, and while he did score low double-digits, Fede was a huge factor. Only thing that prevented him from getting an A- was the basket interference when J-Lowe's shot was still rolling around on the rim (I think if Fede lets it go, the ball would've dropped in)

*Zach has one of HIS better games; gritty defense and a couple nice baskets

*Fun to see the royal colored jerseys @ home (another NBA-like feature of tonight's game). I'd be cool if we did this again

*DT_PITT ==> I, too noticed that Blake was @ 38 points when the entire Cards team was @ 37. He was also @ 27 for the first half when Louisville (as a team) scored a TOTAL of 27

*If you want to nitpick at all it would be for missing several wide open shots in the first half, and for allowing Louisville to score in the paint

*#0 for the Cards is a very good player

*Yes, I watched the game well after it was over (superstition continues) ... but today, I had an excuse: today (Feb 17) was the first day of my 72nd year of orbiting the sun. My partner Margaret and I spent a great day enjoying the outstanding AZ weather, and had a fun dinner with several adult beverages. Pitt's win was the icing on my birthday cake!

*Tuesday's game will decide which of WF or Pitt is on the right side of the bubble, but won't exclude either team from the NCAAT discussion ... obviously, I'm hoping for another road win

*I know at this juncture (last year) we were 18-7, and 11-3 in the league. This year we are 17-8 and 8-6. But would anyone argue that the 2024 Panthers' team is less of a team than last year? I dare say (right now) they are equal ... despite the conference record. And the upside continues to look quite fine

*H2P!!

Last edited:
But to my memory, this was the first time we've ever seen Jenna at the Pete, if not even for any Pitt game at all. She seems quite young in age as well.

Someone here will be pissed off at me for remembering this, but she did a game last season. One of the non-conference games.

As far as the foul goes, Leggett really tried not to make contact, and he really didn't want to make contact, but neither of those things is nearly important as the fact that he did make contact. Not a lot of contact, and sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time, that wouldn't get called. But he did make contact with a guy going up for a shot, so it was probably the correct call.

Moe-bservations:

*41 pts on 14-24 (including 9-13 from 3) FG shooting - as someone who's watched Pitt Basketball from 1970 forward, I haven't seen ANY Pitt player have such a game - Blake Hinson, thanks for the lasting memory

*22 assists on 30 made FG's is NBA-like. Noticeably missing from any assists given was Blake Hinson ... oh, almost forgot ... he scored 14 FG's of which maybe just a few weren't as a result of his teammates' assists

*The only "POOR" thing we did was not poor at all ... Points Off Offensive Rebounds (POOR is the acronym) was a HUGE factor in tonight's game

*The ACCN announcer duo said it, and I am beginning to agree, that Ish Leggett has a strong case for 6th man of the year award

*22 assists and only 3 turnovers! True, the Cards were missing two of their starting guards; still, that is an amazing stat

*The freshmen guards didn't score a ton of points but their game was solid. Bub had a couple hiccups and J-Lowe had a sloppy turnover, but their overall contribution was stellar

*Fede played an overall B+ game. Their center had been averaging almost 20 ppg over the past several, and while he did score low double-digits, Fede was a huge factor. Only thing that prevented him from getting an A- was the basket interference when J-Lowe's shot was still rolling around on the rim (I think if Fede lets it go, the ball would've dropped in)

*Fun to see the royal colored jerseys @ home (another NBA-like feature of tonight's game). I'd be cool if we did this again

*DT_PITT ==> I, too noticed that Blake was @ 38 points when the entire Cards team was @ 37. He was also @ 27 for the first half when Louisville (as a team) scored a TOTAL of 27

*If you want to nitpick at all it would be for missing several wide open shots in the first half, and for allowing Louisville to score in the paint

*Yes, I watched the game well after it was over (superstition continues) ... but today, I had an excuse: today (Feb 17) was the first day of my 72nd year of orbiting the sun. My partner Margaret and I spent a great day enjoying the outstanding AZ weather, and had a fun dinner with several adult beverages. Pitt's win was the icing on my birthday cake!

*Tuesday's game will decide which of WF or Pitt is on the right side of the bubble, but won't exclude either team from the NCAAT discussion ... obviously, I'm hoping for another road win

*I know at this juncture (last year) we were 18-7, and 11-3 in the league. This year we are 17-8 and 8-6. But would anyone argue that the 2024 Panthers' team is less of a team than last year? I dare say (right now) they are equal ... despite the conference record. And the upside continues to look quite fine

*H2P!!
Happy birthday, Moe! 🎂

The biggest improvement may be the way we share the ball. It's like the guys trust each other now. Earlier in the ACC season it was all isolation play. Like they were taking turns who was going to shoot. Refreshing the way we are playing now. Loose and free. H2P

Someone here will be pissed off at me for remembering this, but she did a game last season. One of the non-conference games.

As far as the foul goes, Leggett really tried not to make contact, and he really didn't want to make contact, but neither of those things is nearly important as the fact that he did make contact. Not a lot of contact, and sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time, that wouldn't get called. But he did make contact with a guy going up for a shot, so it was probably the correct call.

I wasn't sure if it was her or not at that game. I recall we had a female ref for that game, but her name seemed totally unfamiliar.

I'm not saying it wasn't the correct call. Like I said, it was iffy. There was some contact.

But giving Capel a T for saying something was very amateurish in my opinion. She's young. She'll learn I guess.

But giving Capel a T for saying something was very amateurish in my opinion. She's young. She'll learn I guess.

Well it would depend on what he said, but yeah, that was kind of surprising.

By the way, did you happen to notice that Teddy got into it with one of the fans in the front row opposite from the Pitt bench not too long after that? Maybe Reneau could give Teddy some lessons on how to ignore the people in the crowd who are getting on you?

Well it would depend on what he said, but yeah, that was kind of surprising.

By the way, did you happen to notice that Teddy got into it with one of the fans in the front row opposite from the Pitt bench not too long after that? Maybe Reneau could give Teddy some lessons on how to ignore the people in the crowd who are getting on you?
I didn't see that one. I know Teddy will engage the crowd. I sat courtside for the UC Santa Barbara game in 2017 and he was chatting plenty with zoo when they were getting on him. This was all happening within feet from me but because I could hear the exchanges, I can tell you that it was all in good fun with the crowd for that game.

Of course, I can't say if that was the case today.

I didn't see that one. I know Teddy will engage the crowd. I sat courtside for the UC Santa Barbara game in 2017 and he was chatting plenty with zoo when they were getting on him. This was all happening within feet from me but because I could hear the exchanges, I can tell you that it was all in good fun with the crowd for that game.

The guy was standing up yelling after one of the foul calls, no idea what he was saying obviously, and first Teddy was motioning for him to sit down. This was while the Louisville player was shooting his foul shots. And then he went over and said something to the guy during the second foul shot.

During the next commercial break he actually went over and was talking to the guy for a little while, and it seemed like they had come to some sort of rapprochement, because it wasn't a contentious discussion. Or at least it did not appear to be.

The guy was standing up yelling after one of the foul calls, no idea what he was saying obviously, and first Teddy was motioning for him to sit down. This was while the Louisville player was shooting his foul shots. And then he went over and said something to the guy during the second foul shot.

During the next commercial break he actually went over and was talking to the guy for a little while, and it seemed like they had come to some sort of rapprochement, because it wasn't a contentious discussion. Or at least it did not appear to be.
Curtis Shaw would have had him removed.

I wasn't sure if it was her or not at that game. I recall we had a female ref for that game, but her name seemed totally unfamiliar.

I'm not saying it wasn't the correct call. Like I said, it was iffy. There was some contact.

Did you notice Teddy spent the ENTIRE time out talking with her. Pretty intensely and off by themselves. Thought that was interesting. Hopefully a teaching moment for her.

Curtis Shaw would have had him removed.

Yeah, probably.

My guess is that the fan was going off on whomever made the call that he didn't like (obviously not Teddy), and Teddy thought that he was going a little too far. But since the guy did sit down and stop yelling, there was no need to kick him out.

Did you notice Teddy spent the ENTIRE time out talking with her. Pretty intensely and off by themselves. Thought that was interesting. Hopefully a teaching moment for her.
Right ... that's what I alluded to earlier.

Moe-bservations:

*H2P!!
Happy Birthday my friend!

Along with Ted Valentine and Tommy Morrissey, the third member of the crew was Jenna Reneau.

We all know that Teddy is long in the tooth, while Tommy is has been around for a couple of years. But to my memory, this was the first time we've ever seen Jenna at the Pete, if not even for any Pitt game at all. She seems quite young in age as well.

So early in the game, she called a foul on Ish Leggett which was an iffy call, but certainly not the worst call I've ever seen. But like I said, very questionable at best. And she blew the whistle late, after that ball did not go in the basket.

As she announced the call, the game went to a TV timeout and the teams and coaches came onto the court and Capel said something to her. He wasn't animated but definitely seemed to voice his displeasure.

Personally, I think this was a very amateurish call on her part. Refs should learn to have thicker skin and Jeff wasn't doing anything to "ask" for the T. When you make a questionable call like that, you almost need to expect a coach to say something. It's part of the game.

In my mind, it was the worst T call since James Breeding called Jamie for a T when he pointed to the scoreboard in a game when fouls were 7-1 against Pitt.

But after the T call, Jenna went over to the opposite foul line and stood with Morrisey. Seconds later, Teddy ran over to her and talked to her for the entire duration of the TV timeout. He seemed to be pretty deliberate in his conversation. I would love to know what he was saying to her.

After Teddy was done talking to Jenna, he ran back to Capel and chatted with him and Capel seemed nod in approval.

Perhaps Jenna will end up being an excellent ref and I hope she got some experience lessons from Teddy today.
Did her calls favor Pitt Afterward ( the immediate afterward anyway)?

Like you, I watched the entire exchange and came to the exact same conclusions. Our comment was about how much more apparent responsibility Teddy seams to take on vs other refs. He’s engaging with the coaches, he’s often engaging with the players, last night he was crowd control and seemingly mentor to another young referee. I like that he seems to be able to diffuse a situation even if it seems like he sometimes might start a situation. It’s obvious that he has Jeff Capels’ respect. Tough spot to be a young female referee. She definitely is going to need some thicker skin. I wondered what was going through her head as she received her Bronx cheer later on?

** But I’ll close with one last special appreciation to Blake Hinson on his special night. Every one of us at the Pete tonight were very thankful of your gift of making the whole Pitt Basketball experience wonderful again.
Glad I had a chance for beverages with you and Bethlehem John pre-game. Felt like about 2007-2015 vibes. Just a wonderful evening for hoops. Nice crowd. Still miss Fuel & Fuddle.

Funny, I noticed the referee exchanges after the T also. I'd love to know what the conversations were.

Finally, I used to think walking up the hill to the game would be too much as I get older. However I think I sprinted up last night without breathing hard. :)

This coming Tuesday's big.

He is chatty with fans. I think he's from Youngstown Ohio and was talking to my friend after halftime a few games back about the Pirates draft.

The things that really stand out to me after this game

1. Blake is without a doubt the best from three that’s ever worn a Pitt jersey

2. The camaraderie on this team is genuine . This bodes well for keeping this run going plus keeping the key parts together next season .Not to mention helpful when recruiting.

3. Fede’s play is improving

4. The defense is much better

5. Ish is invaluable coming off the bench

6. For a guy who can’t coach with the worst staff on the planet they’re doing a great job !

I sit courtside. Teddy Valentine often engages the fans near us when he does Pitt games.
Last nite he said he needed a drink and chuckled.
Teddy gets more animated the larger the crowd. Lol

That’s the first I saw her and she was awful.

Great game and great write up. Also saw that entire exchange with the refs. I think it was a coaching moment.

H2P

Apparently she has reffed nba games….

So really there is no excuse for that call, though NBA refs are pretty notorious for absurd T’s

Apparently she has reffed nba games….

So really there is no excuse for that call, though NBA refs are pretty notorious for absurd T’s
Really? She was terrible all night. I’d love to know what NBA players feel about her calls. But she did call it like it was an NBA game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT