ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Patterson of TCU comments on transfer portal

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
“We better be careful,” Patterson said. “We won’t have college football. It’s disappointing, to be honest with you. It’s disappointing.”

“I want the names of all those people [at the NCAA] that are deciding to do that, so everybody knows their names when they ruin the game,” Patterson said. “I don’t care if there’s lawyers involved. I don’t care if any of that’s involved. The bottom line to it is we need to do what’s best for the game."

"According to the most recent NCAA data, per a 247Sports report, 51 of 64 NCAA players who appealed for immediate eligibility since the modified waiver guidelines have been approved."

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article228266009.html

I think it’s hurt bigger schools than helps them. Look who’s mad about this rule. Coaches are upset cause they will have more roster attrition and have to work harder. Oh well.

It will help and hurt big schools and smaller schools. It’s helped pitt more than it hurt it so far.

Last edited:
Besides the knee-jerk mischaracterizations given as reasons to why kids are transferring, what exactly is the "danger" to college football?

Pretty precious notion from a guy that was sued for treating his players like garbage.
yeah, these coaches are drama queens. Ruining college football? LOL, sure. so roster turnover is greater than before, does anyone really care?

These coaches just are upset that they have to work harder to keep the backups happy vs having them locked and guaranteed for four years. Oh, unless they don't want them anymore and they can just ship them out, push them off to their life's work. that SI story about Ok State coaches driving kids to the bus stop made me sick to my stomach reading that.

Reactions: cashisking884
It's the right decision for the kids but it will ruin college football. If Pitt becomes a farm team for bigger schools, I'm out. Sorry. And many will follow. You'll have your 5-8 super teams and another 10 or so contenders, well pretty much what you have now but the gap will widen even further. If a school like Pitt hits the lottery and has a phenom frosh, c-ya. Ohio State beckons.

Eh, I don't know, I think it will still be more helpful than hurtful. True, Shady & Conner could have went somewhere else after it was clear to the world they were legit. But I think Pitt benefits a lot more from filling needs with kids who will never see playing time at your aforementioned 15-18 top programs. 18x85 Schollies is 1530 kids. Let's say 1/2 of the roster wishes to leave. So 765 available kids in the portal. As opposed to our one star we get every few seasons. I like it. I would like to see however the NCAA maybe put a cap on how many of these unconditional transfers each school is allotted to take. Maybe that ups the ante a little for the kids? 2 transfers per school for, what? 250 total transfers? Risk not being taken but letting your team know you want out, ie, "do I really want to go there"?

this fear that the elite schools will just take players from other programs at their will, I don't get this. has any of this happened? Has Bama or Tosu been able to just pick any player from a roster and bring them on? I don't get this idea that this is the likely outcome..

again, this will effect the kids buried on depth charts more than anything. 90% of this is kids not getting enough PT and going to another program where they can play. This fear that all of us will be a minor league system for the Blue bloods is beyond foolish..

Besides the knee-jerk mischaracterizations given as reasons to why kids are transferring, what exactly is the "danger" to college football?

Pretty precious notion from a guy that was sued for treating his players like garbage.
Especially when that lawsuit alleges from multiple people that Patterson threatens to publicly and privately attack the reputations of players who wish to transfer or leave early for the nfl. That’s on top of threatening to pull scholarships from players if they don’t return early from injuries or allow mystery pain management injections.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
More players will jump around willy nilly, for some it will be a mistake, others, maybe a great thing. Have to look case by case.

A few Pitt guys likely will be more apt to go, without having to wait to be eligible. Either disgruntled backups, or surprise star players (for this year's roster for example, I'd see Ffrench as a prime candidate to be poached by a superior program that might need a great returner immediately).

And blue blood guys who no longer have the year long penalty to transfer, will likely be more likely to jump ... but from blue blood to blue blood. Whereas, with the 1 year wait, I think more players at blue bloods now are apt to consider a lesser place like Pitt, that wouldn't be as likely to recruit over them in that year's time, and still have a starting position likely. But if you could go to, say, ND and possibly start immediately, because their top couple guys who expected to start might have busted, etc... and before new 5 star recruits are immediately available to replace them... that's an easier decision.

The net effect to Pitt, will be slightly negative, in my opinion. Like most things, alas. Decisions and changes aren't made to help schools like Pitt.

But, eh, the rampant cheating other's engage in that we refuse to do is a thousand times more impactful.

More players will jump around willy nilly, for some it will be a mistake, others, maybe a great thing. Have to look vzw 6 by case.

A few Pitt guys likely will be more apt to go, without having to wait to be eligible. Either disgruntled backups or surprise star players (for this year's roster for example Id see Ffrench as a prime candidate to be poached).

And blue blood guys who no longer have the year long penalty to transfer, will likely be more likely to jump, but from blue blood to blue blood. Whereas with the 1 year wait, i think more are apt to consider a lesser place like Pitt, that wouldn't be as likely to recruit over them in that year's time, and still have a starting position likely.

The net effect to Pitt, slightly negative, in my opinion.

But, eh, the rampant cheating other's engage in that we refuse to do is a thousand times more impactful.
you see, I don't think this fear of losing a top player will happen. You use Ffrench as an example. you really think a top P5 team (Mich, tosu, USC, Bama, GA) would really want someone like him as a starter? I like Ffrench, im excited to see him but no true elite P5 team is guaranteeing him a starting spot..

someone else used Conner or Shady in past. Would it even be beneficial for someone like McCoy or JC coming off a big soph year to skip pitt and go to a big program? You already have the name recognition, you have the offense geared for you, it would be a huge risk to say screw Pitt, im going to go play my Jr year at Clemson. It wouldn't make sense for a starter on a P5 team to do that.. Maybe someone in MAC, just to experience a little bit bigger of a level but not for Pitt.

I see this as a huge positive for pitt. I think we can fill holes in our roster from some lower level MAC Types, possibly compete for some P5 types buried on the charts but I don't see us being the victim in losing any big names to other programs..

you see, I don't think this fear of losing a top player will happen. You use Ffrench as an example. you really think a top P5 team (Mich, tosu, USC, Bama, GA) would really want someone like him as a starter? I like Ffrench, im excited to see him but no true elite P5 team is guaranteeing him a starting spot..

someone else used Conner or Shady in past. Would it even be beneficial for someone like McCoy or JC coming off a big soph year to skip pitt and go to a big program? You already have the name recognition, you have the offense geared for you, it would be a huge risk to say screw Pitt, im going to go play my Jr year at Clemson. It wouldn't make sense for a starter on a P5 team to do that.. Maybe someone in MAC, just to experience a little bit bigger of a level but not for Pitt.

I see this as a huge positive for pitt. I think we can fill holes in our roster from some lower level MAC Types, possibly compete for some P5 types buried on the charts but I don't see us being the victim in losing any big names to other programs..
Yes, I could absolutely see a number of blue bloods programs that might think Ffrench would be an upgrade at kick returner this coming year, and happily poaching him for that. And he may be just as happy to let himself be poached by one of them, if he knew he'd be immediately eligible. (And of course, "poach" comes with the given they'd be including a handsome sum from a booster to make it worth his while). Yes, absolutely I do.

Didn't The Ohio State University need QB a next year?Just where did they get this 5* QB that's immediately illegible? Yes the Big Boys will get what they want. Michigan last year the same thing with their transfer QB.

Didn't The Ohio State University need QB a next year?Just where did they get this 5* QB that's immediately illegible? Yes the Big Boys will get what they want. Michigan last year the same thing with their transfer QB.
they got the backup GA QB who didn't have a prayer to play at UGA outside of an injury. so Tosu poaching another school's backup is going to ruin College Football? dude plays at tosu or stands on sidelines at Georgia with backwards cap holding up hand signals. He chose to play..

This is your example of the end of college football?

Reactions: cashisking884
I'm not nearly as smart as 99% of the people on here I admit it.I am smart enough to know this piss poor backup QB from GA will get OSU into the Big Conference Championship game. Without Fields Michigan and their own very own transfer QB would be in it.Your right these transfer don't mean anything, carry on!

I'm not nearly as smart as 99% of the people on here I admit it.I am smart enough to know this piss poor backup QB from GA will get OSU into the Big Conference Championship game. Without Fields Michigan and their own very own transfer QB would be in it.Your right these transfer don't mean anything, carry on!
I didn't say he was piss poor nor did I say it didn't mean anything. my point is, you guys say it's the end of college football cause the big schools will poach starting QBs from smaller schools and use this as an example. this is not an example. A big school poached a backup QB from another big school. a player who was looking at a backup role for a few years, until the starter either went pro, graudated or got hurt.

now instead of being forced to be a backup, he can play. not sure how this is bad for anyone, outside of GA who wanted to stockpile QB talent. College football fans should want the best product. the best product means the best players play. this is good, it gives the players the chance to put themselves in a position to play.

It's not great for college football for a few elite programs to be able to stock talented players and have them on bench to sit for a few years and "wait their turn". that isn't good for college football, it's quite bad for it actually. It's good for the Head Coach, that's all. the same one this is crying about this.. College football fans should want the best players to play on Saturdays, not provide 3rd and 4th string depth for Alabama..

Reactions: PerchMan
But I thought he left because of racial comments not because he wanted to start. People thought college ball would be ruined when Juniors became draft eligible. The bluebloods will always good with an occasional 3 loss year, the rest will work harder to get the bluebloods backups.

Fields lawyer said his clients immediate eligibility at OSU had nothing to do with race. Take that for what's it worth.

I agree. Plus, "Blue Bloods" could simply "stash" a player at a smaller school if they are out of scholarships. The player goes to a smaller school, spends one year there, a scholarship opens up at the big school, and he's gone.

It's not like the NFL where players are drafted. They choose where they want to go to school. They also don't have multi-year contracts, so if a coach has player plucked by some of the big schools or schools that "provide improper benefits" it could rip apart his roster. It's tough enough constructing a roster in college football with the recruiting rules and limited amounts of time they are allowed to spend with players. Now they would have to keep recruiting their own roster.

I didn't say he was piss poor nor did I say it didn't mean anything. my point is, you guys say it's the end of college football cause the big schools will poach starting QBs from smaller schools and use this as an example. this is not an example. A big school poached a backup QB from another big school. a player who was looking at a backup role for a few years, until the starter either went pro, graudated or got hurt.

now instead of being forced to be a backup, he can play. not sure how this is bad for anyone, outside of GA who wanted to stockpile QB talent. College football fans should want the best product. the best product means the best players play. this is good, it gives the players the chance to put themselves in a position to play.

It's not great for college football for a few elite programs to be able to stock talented players and have them on bench to sit for a few years and "wait their turn". that isn't good for college football, it's quite bad for it actually. It's good for the Head Coach, that's all. the same one this is crying about this.. College football fans should want the best players to play on Saturdays, not provide 3rd and 4th string depth for Alabama..

Players choose to go to a school. They aren't drafted. They know the roster when they are being recruited and who they have to compete with for playing time. If they get there and don't play or get passed up, that's one thing. But if they get there and have success, now every coach and even fans have to worry about them leaving. It's like free agency every year, which isn't good when certain schools can do whatever they want to get a player and other schools can't.

they got the backup GA QB who didn't have a prayer to play at UGA outside of an injury. so Tosu poaching another school's backup is going to ruin College Football? dude plays at tosu or stands on sidelines at Georgia with backwards cap holding up hand signals. He chose to play..

No, the issue is starting players at smaller schools getting re-recruited by larger schools "for a chance to win, or $ome other rea$on". If players don't have to sit out a year to transfer, they would be willing to take a chance at a smaller school to get the big boys to come after them. It won't just be the backups.

Say a school like Michigan needs a tackle and a young tackle for Pitt comes out of nowhere and has a great season; do you think they wouldn't hesitate to reach out to that player if they can help them?

At least with the NFL you know when a player's contract is up and can plan accordingly; or you can make a trade. Schools that have to work hard to get really good players (and only a few per class) are the ones that will have difficulty keeping competitive rosters year after year. If they want to make the rule that you have start and play a certain percentage of plays to be ineligible to transfer without sitting, that's one approach. But then you get some players that may fake injuries or something to have the option. It's a slippery slope and one that should be looked at individually instead of a blanket "you can transfer without penalty".

No, the issue is starting players at smaller schools getting re-recruited by larger schools "for a chance to win, or $ome other rea$on". If players don't have to sit out a year to transfer, they would be willing to take a chance at a smaller school to get the big boys to come after them. It won't just be the backups.

Say a school like Michigan needs a tackle and a young tackle for Pitt comes out of nowhere and has a great season; do you think they wouldn't hesitate to reach out to that player if they can help them?

At least with the NFL you know when a player's contract is up and can plan accordingly; or you can make a trade. Schools that have to work hard to get really good players (and only a few per class) are the ones that will have difficulty keeping competitive rosters year after year. If they want to make the rule that you have start and play a certain percentage of plays to be ineligible to transfer without sitting, that's one approach. But then you get some players that may fake injuries or something to have the option. It's a slippery slope and one that should be looked at individually instead of a blanket "you can transfer without penalty".
you see, I think we are in that comfort zone where we are high enough to not worry about it. someone non P5, yeah, I see that happening. A really good upper classmen at a mac school or a mt west, yeah I can see them taking a call from a USC or a Michigan and moving over.. I honestly don't see it at pitt, a middle of the road (slightly above) P5 school. but hey, if im wrong, im the first person crying about it, I promise you that.

Ask Rutgers how they feel about transfers? Their ALL Big Ten Guard transfered to The Ohio State University because TOSU needed a lineman.Now he'll start on a team that will contend for a NC,good for him and bad for Rutgers.The Grad transfer rule was good on paper but really hurts the lower teams,especially in BB!Like your Jamie Dixon said the grad transfer rule is being severely misused,this is not what it was meant to be.Jamie was on the committee that passed the rule,I think.

Last edited:
What if 20 to 25 upperclassmen transferred from Pitt if Narduzzi left for another job. How in the world would that be good? The roster would be decimated.

Name twenty that would draw interest. You can't.

If you end up with that kind of a defection, it's likely that you have much bigger issues than just a coach moving on.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Ask Rutgers how they feel about transfers. Their ALL Big Ten Guard transfered to The Ohio State University because TOSU needed a lineman and he'll start on a team that will contend for a NC.

Graduate transfers are a bit of a different animal but the kid you're talking about is going to OSU to be a backup rather than stay at Rutgers and start.

Name twenty that would draw interest. You can't.

If you end up with that kind of a defection, it's likely that you have much bigger issues than just a coach moving on.
So you’re saying no chance it would even happen at one school? And there 20 kids on this roster who can land elsewhere, especially if eligible immediately.

So you’re saying no chance it would even happen at one school? And there 20 kids on this roster who can land elsewhere, especially if eligible immediately.

They opened up free, no penalty transfer, to every player on PSU's roster (post Sandusky) and they lost, what, three or four? Fired the "legendary" coach that most of the players signed up to play for, the program/school is being accused of all kinds of terrible things and is the laughing stock of college football, you find out that your school can't play in bowls and will suffer through sanctions during what's left of your college career, and yet, next to nobody left. So no, there's not really a chance that could happen at one school because I cannot imagine a situation worse than that.

To your other point, middle of the pack programs aren't exactly brimming with the kind of talent that can just go and pick whatever school they want to and go to, and start. If they were that good, they're not at Pitt (a very middling program) right now. So you're either going to make the argument that there are 20 kids at Pitt that would be eager to just go and add depth at another program or you're making an argument that kids show up and find that Pitt is so horrible that a quarter of the roster would rather be somewhere else. I mean, maybe, on both, but it seems unlikely.

Graduate transfers are a bit of a different animal but the kid you're talking about is going to OSU to be a backup rather than stay at Rutgers and start.
He'll start at OSU because he's better than anyone that OSU has. OL is thinner than its been in a long time at OSU.No way he transfered to sit he knew what OSU had returning. He has NFL aspirations if he thought he was going to be a backup he would of went somewhere else,like Pitt or Wvu!

I thought players couldn't be contacted until they had entered the portal.

They "can't". But players are also not allowed to receive improper benefits, yet many do.
I am guessing that if a current player's coach caught a whiff of that there would be a big ruckus raised by that coach.

Yeah, I don’t get the argument.
Justin Fields is one of the two highest rated QB recruits in the history of 247. If he stays at UGA, there’s a chance we only see him play for one season.

The argument is that getting to see one of the most celebrated QB recruits of all time start for the next 2 to 3 years, is bad for college football? It would be better for the game if he was just sitting on a sideline during that time period?

Its a net neutral to me. I think you'll have the under recruited kid break out and move up along with the 4 and 5 star kid riding the bench looking to move down. It makes coaching harder given the roster turnover but that's what these guys are paid big bucks for.

This might produce a net negative for smaller schools. But it’s not drastic. Look at the most talked about transfers this year.

Hurts goes to OU. OU’s QB goes to WVU.
OU is now better off. WVU is now better off. The only loser is blue blood Alabama.

Fields goes to OSU, Martell goes to Miami. Miami’s backup transfers to a yet TBD school.
OSU is now better off, Miami is now better off, the TBD school is now better off, and the only loser is blue blood UGA.

This is good for the game. Why do people want 5* and borderline 5* players sitting on benches doing nothing for 3 years? You think that is good for the game of college football? College basketball is only going to get Zion Williamson for 1 year. College football gets their version of him for 3 years, and you want to stick him on a bench during that window because he made a bad college choice when he was 17?

Forget fairness to the kids, that’s just a horrible way to go about increasing the quality of the game.

This might produce a net negative for smaller schools. But it’s not drastic. Look at the most talked about transfers this year.

Hurts goes to OU. OU’s QB goes to WVU.
OU is now better off. WVU is now better off. The only loser is blue blood Alabama.

Fields goes to OSU, Martell goes to Miami. Miami’s backup transfers to a yet TBD school.
OSU is now better off, Miami is now better off, the TBD school is now better off, and the only loser is blue blood UGA.

This is good for the game. Why do people want 5* and borderline 5* players sitting on benches doing nothing for 3 years? You think that is good for the game of college football? College basketball is only going to get Zion Williamson for 1 year. College football gets their version of him for 3 years, and you want to stick him on a bench during that window because he made a bad college choice when he was 17?

Forget fairness to the kids, that’s just a horrible way to go about increasing the quality of the game.
I'm happy (in principle) to see the players benefit and I think this does that for them.

Happy to see the blue bloods lose players. Though, it'll be easy for them to absorb that, because it'll hardly ever be players they'd really miss (so it probably actually helps them, by opening up scholarships).

Happy it pisses off control freak jerk coaches from blue bloods.

But wont be happy when it happens to Pitt. Unlike the blue bloods, it'll likely happen more with players we don't want to lose, not our failed backups.

Like my Ffrench example above, a guy like him, is our only dynamic player on offense and special teams. Maybe, but only maybe, there's others who will emerge but it sure doesn't look like it at the moment. With no restrictions at all, he would be a great candidate to be coaxed away to any old blue blood needing a good KR for one year and willing to line his pockets. Situations like that'll suck.

We'll see how much of each happens in coming years, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT