ADVERTISEMENT

Gentry Ivery (TX WR) is a Panther!

Re: Gentey Ivory (TX WR) is a Panther!

This is really exciting !!!

Can we all imagine next year !!!!!!!!

PITT IS IT !!!

Nice find...almost makes you forget the days of the signal;) Hail to Pitt!

I wouldn't really call a two star WR with no offers an exciting add. If it works out and he contributes, great. If not, it'll be what I expected.

Who is he ? I looked him up, but could not find him listed anywhere.

Had a great senior season vs Top level Texas competition. Classic late bloomer. 4.4 40 time not 4.77 as I've seen other places

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1806186/highlights/160821381

At this point in the recruiting cycle, PN has no choice but to reach on some kids. If Gentry (or Dinucci for that matter) pans out, that is great. If not.....we should understand the nature of a coaching change (s) (by now).....

My guess would be that next years class will have no Gentry Ivorys......

A fast WR from Texas (where any team 1000+ miles away would be happy to lay recruiting lines into) whose highlights show he can make a quick cut between defenders, and who top-5 TCU supposedly had some interest in is someone I'm more than happy for Pitt to pick up this close to signing day with a 2.5-week-old coaching staff.

Hell, just looking at his highlights and knowing they're against the top level of TX high school football is probably enough to like the pick-up under any circumstances.

i personally am skeptical of any Texas kid coming here and producing. Trey Anderson? Kolby Gray?

There is a reason they come to Pitt........and I highly doubt that any true talent in Texas will EVER find their way to Oakland.

Curvin Richards?? sure.....25 years ago.......

Apparently he had some impressive track times this past year.

He ran a personal best 22.49 in the 200.

For comparison...Everyone said Jester Weah was an elite track talent. His 200 time was in the high 21's to low 22's.... Big difference on a track, but not a football field.

I highly doubt he is still running at the 4.77 numbers published online.

Watched some of his videos, and I will simly say...he is a play maker. If nothing else, he will give the staff some options as a possible return man/special teams ace.

Regardless, welcome Mr Gentry Ivery!

His highlight reel looked good, good balance.

Welcome !

Re: Reply

I'd imagine he posted the information when he saw the "Pat signal" on twitter and then saw Chris Peak's tweet saying that it was Gentry.
Originally posted by PITTLAW:

This post was edited on 1/27 2:58 PM by Consultant Panther

This one is somewhat intriguing. Yeah, we got a couple of players from Texas during the short stay of T-Mobile, who was from that neck of the woods. But I think PN, with no Texas background that I'm aware of, being able to land a Texas recruit speaks volumes for his recruiting ability.

Lloyd Carrington was a recent recruit from Texas. He's an excellent player, unfortunately he's an excellent player for fraud and ASU

Yes, you gotta start somewhere, and the time is now. The best time to create a presence in Florida and Texas was four years ago, the second best time is today.

Originally posted by TempleBAPittMPA:

This one is somewhat intriguing. Yeah, we got a couple of players from Texas during the short stay of T-Mobile, who was from that neck of the woods. But I think PN, with no Texas background that I'm aware of, being able to land a Texas recruit speaks volumes for his recruiting ability.
Ivery didn't have any D1 offers though it sounds Tulsa and San Diego State were interested in him so I wouldn't say it "speaks volumes for his recruiting ability." I think its more of a case of scouring the nation for some last-minute bodies. Some bodies are better than no bodies. Its hard to land highly rated prospects this late in the game.

Just my view, but I hope they are not just going for bodies. They would be better off leaving a spot for next year when they have the time [and when the class spaces will be greatly reduced] and getting a real player than just a body to "fill" the class. Hail to Pitt!

Ask the local (Pitt coaches about) Gentry, and they will say it's elementary (for him to be given a scholarship).

Like those coaches, I too have a good feeling about you, Mr. gentry, being a Panther. The future is bright.

Welcome aboard!

Just my view, but I hope they are not just going for bodies. They would be better off leaving a spot for next year when they have the time [and when the class spaces will be greatly reduced] and getting a real player than just a body to "fill" the class. Hail to Pitt!
I'm sure they think Ivery has some potential and there are thousands of examples of very lightly recruited kids like Gentry becoming big-time but in a situation like this staff is in, this late in the game, sometimes its just throwing darts at a dartboard. Maybe you get really lucky. Worst-case scenario, the player gets buried on the depth chart and transfers back home after a couple years and you use his scholarship again.

Just about everybody over-recruits now, so I dont think this staff is going to limit themselves next year just because they gave Ivery a scholarship. They'll oversign by 3-5 and "make room." With yet another coaching turnover, there are bound to be several transfers.

you cobble together a decent (upgraded) class ... and in 2 years, when Narduzzi is killing it, these kids who believe and started it may yet play a role!

They might be looking for 'bodies' at wr at this point.
If the move Davidson to qb, that leaves only 6 on roster today.

Boyd
Ford
Weunster
Weah
Challingswoth
Zeise

In addition to the 6 guys you listed, we have Tipton and Henderson in the class.

How many WRs do you need?

I think it's silly to think the Pitt staff is looking for "bodies" - I give them way more credit than that...

Go Pitt.

Originally posted by #99HUGHgreen:
Ask the local (Pitt coaches about) Gentry, and they will say it's elementary (for him to be given a scholarship).

Like those coaches, I too have a good feeling about you, Mr. gentry, being a Panther. The future is bright.

Welcome aboard!
Try, try, try and you will only come to this conclusion. As most on this thread have

Wrong and Wrong
It wasn't the Pat signal or Chris Peak

I saw it on @PittGuru's twitter feed

which I posted in my original message --
the link was posted in my first message --

Not sure how you missed it, unless you're just being a smartaleck

Originally posted by Consultant Panther:
I'd imagine he posted the information when he saw the "Pat signal" on twitter and then saw Chris Peak's tweet saying that it was Gentry.

This post was edited on 1/27 2:58 PM by Consultant Panther

Welcome Aboard! You never know - Curvin Richards and Reggie Thomas were lightly recruited Texans as well.

No offense meant. I just read the subject of your post. I already saw the "Pat signal" tweet and Chris Peak's tweet, so I assumed that's where you saw it.

There have been several productive players from Texas that were lightly recruited:

- WR Billy Davis from El Paso... Pretty damn good and later played several years in NFL for Cowboys
- RB Kevin Williams from Ball Has in Galveston. Decent player.
- Alex Freaking Van Pelt from LBJ Has in San Antonio!!!! Was THE best Panther QB in 30 years!!!!

His video looks AWESOME

Players fall thru the cracks when they don't "break out" as Juniors

This happens to a lot of guys

Big Ben is one -- He was still playing WR as a Jr, and didn't play QB until his Sr year -- that's why he only got recruited by the MAC schools.

It appears Ivery is in a similar situation. He went from running a 4.7 to a 4.4 as a Senior. And his game highlights Sr year are obviously excellent against very good competition.

If I really cared, I guess I could investigate further why he didn't have a great Jr. year.

Was the coach's son playing ahead of him? (like the situation with Big Ben in HS)

But I really don't care that much -- his tape looks great, he's fast, and he's now a Panther

H2P!

Originally posted by Parkview57:
Yes, you gotta start somewhere, and the time is now. The best time to create a presence in Florida and Texas was four years ago, the second best time is today.
Well said.

I haven't looked into it, but maybe there are 4 or 5 star juniors on the Gentry's team. It would give the coaches a great opportunity to show their faces and see what they are all about.

Even if that is not the case, it's still a wise move for this staff to start tapping into Texas (and Florida).

Originally posted by steel1975:

Big Ben is one -- He was still playing WR as a Jr, and didn't play QB until his Sr year -- that's why he only got recruited by the MAC schools.
I remember reading about that specific situation--the coach wanted to play his son at QB, but had sense enough to realize Ben belonged on the field somewhere. Ben finally got his chance senior year after the coach's son graduated. (Now, how many talented kids get stymied by THOSE circumstances?)

We need to land one more WR.

I think one of the second tier guys will step up this year, but when Boyd leaves, we will need a talent here next year to move in.

The LB for New England that just won the super bowl. Played for Hnds Community College outside Jackson, MS, then transferred to West Alabama.

Not only did he made it to the NFL, not only is he a contributor on one of the best franchises in the past decade, he single handedly won the game for his team.

Some guys bloom later than others. People with kids know that.

You are right and actually I take back we need another

We have Tre and Whitehead I can see actually playing WR some too.

We are pretty set. I am really hoping Weah works on his game, he has the talent.

Sometimes I like to look at the last page of threads to see what we were talking about then. Man, trying to convince ourselves that Gentry Ivery was good was a really tall task.

Reactions: Las Panteras
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT