ADVERTISEMENT

Glasnow to Dodgers

Jun 3, 2023
Outside of the nostalgic factor some people feel for the game, is anyone here still genuinely interested in the game of baseball? The powers that be seem to have determined that having a handful of teams spend wildly, a large number of teams spend well below what the top teams spend, and everyone else get scraps is the successful business model.

I’m someone who doesn’t get remotely interested in opening day, any game, and definitely not the post season or World Series. We’ll take the kids to a game over the summer and “watch” 4 innings, but mainly walk around the stadium.

The powers that be seem to have determined that having a handful of teams spend wildly, a large number of teams spend well below what the top teams spend, and everyone else get scraps is the successful business model.
I don't get it either, but it must be working there is so much money in baseball it is ridicules. I would really like to know how it works, is it tv money? I mean advertisement money through the tv? I don't watch commercials I mute/click away. Plus I am not influenced by them, or I think I am not....it certainly is not the kids under age about 26, they don't sit and watch sporting events on tv so far as i can figure out, at least the ones at work don't....

Last edited:
I don't get it either, but it must be working there is so much money in baseball it is ridicules. I would really like to know how it works, is it tv money? I mean advertisement money through the tv? I don't watch commercials I mute/click away. Plus I am not influenced by them, or I think I am not....it certainly is not the kids under age about 26, they don't sit and watch sporting events on tv so far as i can figure out, at least the ones at work don't....
So much money unless you are the Pirates.

Outside of the nostalgic factor some people feel for the game, is anyone here still genuinely interested in the game of baseball? The powers that be seem to have determined that having a handful of teams spend wildly, a large number of teams spend well below what the top teams spend, and everyone else get scraps is the successful business model.

I’m someone who doesn’t get remotely interested in opening day, any game, and definitely not the post season or World Series. We’ll take the kids to a game over the summer and “watch” 4 innings, but mainly walk around the stadium.
So the Dodgers traded for an oft injured pitcher yesterday. Who else is going to pitch for them in 2024?

I'd like to see the city/authority tie future improvements to PNC Park to Nutting's investment in the team.

Something like: PNC will not provide any upgrades (just routine maintenance) to the park until the Pirates' 3-year average for payroll meets or exceeds the league average for team salary. If they don't, no improvements, no upgrades.

Reactions: Parkview57
I'd like to see the city/authority tie future improvements to PNC Park to Nutting's investment in the team.

Something like: PNC will not provide any upgrades (just routine maintenance) to the park until the Pirates' 3-year average for payroll meets or exceeds the league average for team salary. If they don't, no improvements, no upgrades.
Nutting would tell the city to f-off and move the team. People would lose their minds if the Pirates moved because Pittsburgh has to have a baseball team, or something. So Nutting has the city right where he wants them and so long as he can keep selling five year plans that give some illusion of trying, while crying poor, he gets to make bank, the city gets its nut, and the Pirates will continue to suck. And we'll get the annual unbridled optimism of people who buy into it all because they really want to believe there's a chance.

Nutting would tell the city to f-off and move the team. People would lose their minds if the Pirates moved because Pittsburgh has to have a baseball team, or something. So Nutting has the city right where he wants them and so long as he can keep selling five year plans that give some illusion of trying, while crying poor, he gets to make bank, the city gets its nut, and the Pirates will continue to suck. And we'll get the annual unbridled optimism of people who buy into it all because they really want to believe there's a chance.
Very well said.

Reactions: pittdan77
Then accept this garbage and don't complain. You only have leverage in a deal if you're willing to use it. Let him consider walking

I still like listening to games on the radio I suppose it's from growing up listening to Bob Prince and walking around Northside where every stoop and porch you passed had it on

I think bigger market teams bring in more tv revenue and the small market teams just bend over and take it. Or bend over and take the luxury tax and in Nuttings case he pockets it.

I’m interested in a game but not interested in MLB.
It’s WWF without the legitimacy IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT