ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup (Sat through July 16)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Discuss this B team. Anyone interested? Now that the pirates have collapsed, this will be something in sports to follow this summer until the women’s World Cup. Then when the women’s World Cup is over, it’s NFL and college football time. So the Gold Cup might be a B team tourney, but it’s something.

GOALKEEPERS (3)

• Sean Johnson - Toronto FC
  • Gaga Slonina - Chelsea
  • Matt Turner - Arsenal
DEFENDERS (8)
  • DeJuan Jones - New England Revolution
  • Aaron Long - LAFC
  • Matt Miazga - FC Cincinnati
  • Jalen Neal - LA Galaxy
  • Bryan Reynolds - Roma
  • Miles Robinson - Atlanta United
  • John Tolkin - New York Red Bulls
  • DeAndre Yedlin - Inter Miami CF

MIDFIELDERS (6)​

• Gianluca Busio - Venezia
  • Djordje Mihailovic - AZ Alkmaar
  • Aidan Morris - Columbus Crew
  • Cristian Roldan - Seattle Sounders FC
  • James Sands - New York City FC
  • Alan Soñora - FC Juárez

FORWARDS (6)​

• Cade Cowell - San Jose Earthquakes
  • Jesús Ferreira - FC Dallas
  • Julian Gressel - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
  • Jordan Morris - Seattle Sounders FC
  • Brandon Vazquez - FC Cincinnati
  • Alex Zendejas - Club América

Last edited:
Six dual national players will be cap-tied to the United States should they appear in any match during the Gold Cup: Cowell, Gressel, Morris, Slonina, Soñora and Vazquez.

Personally I’d like for Slonina and Vazquez to make their appearances for them to be cap-tied for the USA. Is there any reason to want to see that from Cowell, Gressel, Morris and Soñora? I know nothing about them.

In goal, what does BJ do? Ride with Turner because he frankly doesn’t get to play much over the course of a year playing at Arsenal? Or get Gaga Slonina his experience? I’m happy to see both play. Could give two $hits about Johnson at this point.

On defense, i hope Miles is healthy. He can help this team win. Not interested in seeing Yedlin, Miazga or Long. We know what they’re about.

In midfield, Busio is still intriguing. And I’ve never really watched Mihailovic, but people are high on him so I’ll watch him with interest.

At forward, Jesus Ferreira might be counted upon, but I want to see Vasquez play and play a lot. I don’t watch MLS so I’ve never seen him play and have only heard good things.

Vazquez and Zendejas should get time every game up top.

Like you, let's hope we only see Turner and Slonina in goal. No Sean Johnson please.

I'd also like to not see Christian Roldan, although he'll probably be the team captain and play every minute of every game. And he might even look OK against the quality of teams they play in the Gold Cup. But we already know he's not good enough to play at the top level.

Jordan Morris is another guy we don't need to see. Maybe if he had never gotten hurt he could have been something. But unfortunately that did happen, and he's just not as good now as he had the potential to be then.

I'd also like to see Bryan Reynolds get some time. See if he can find his stroke for when he comes back to the Pirates.

What? Oh. Never mind.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
That midfield group is very underwhelming.

I would like to see Gabby Slonina get some serious time. He is reported to be the future between the sticks for the national team. I'd like to see him over Turner. The Gold Cup is kinda like Europa Conference League right now.

Cowell is worth giving a good look to, he did very well in the u-20 WC.

Sonora played for a big team in Argentina but I can't imagine he's on their radar.

I'm guessing Gressel is even further off Germany's radar.

I'd be more interested in watching if this was the US A team but I'll still watch if I get a chance. We've gone to watch them play in Cleveland in previous Gold Cups and would probably have gone back if they were using that venue.

Sonora played for a big team in Argentina but I can't imagine he's on their radar.

I'm guessing Gressel is even further off Germany's radar.

I'd be more interested in watching if this was the US A team but I'll still watch if I get a chance. We've gone to watch them play in Cleveland in previous Gold Cups and would probably have gone back if they were using that venue.
I am considering the July 2 match in Charlotte. The problem is my family beach vacation in SC is two weeks later…so I don’t know if I want to make two drives to the Carolina’s 10 days apart. And spending the money to fly and rent a car in Charlotte just isn’t worth it to me for a B team match vs T&T. But don’t get me wrong, I’d love to go.

Reactions: brdst11
Vazquez and Zendejas should get time every game up top.

Like you, let's hope we only see Turner and Slonina in goal. No Sean Johnson please.

I'd also like to not see Christian Roldan, although he'll probably be the team captain and play every minute of every game. And he might even look OK against the quality of teams they play in the Gold Cup. But we already know he's not good enough to play at the top level.

Jordan Morris is another guy we don't need to see. Maybe if he had never gotten hurt he could have been something. But unfortunately that did happen, and he's just not as good now as he had the potential to be then.

I'd also like to see Bryan Reynolds get some time. See if he can find his stroke for when he comes back to the Pirates.

What? Oh. Never mind.
You pretty much nailed it for me. I was going to say please no Long, Roldan and Morris…we don’t need to see any of Gregg’s MLS boys that he foists on us time and time again. But hey, we are all idiots for thinking it’s a mortal sin playing Jordan Morris ahead of Gio Reyna.

Looking forward to seeing Vasquez. But as far as Zendejas, am I wrong to think he’s nothing more than Pulisic’s little buddy and team mascot?

Charlie scitiliano said yesterday that this is how US Soccer conducted its search for a coach:

The finalists were Veira, Marsch, Henry and Gregg. They put them up in a hotel for a couple days and did not allow them to meet with agents or anyone else…essentially stay in their rooms and complete these tasks:

1) iQ test
2) Briggs Myers personality test
3) submit their long term and 2026 plan for the team moving forward
4) role play with US soccer, taking on the role of the Manager calling a Manager of a euro club to ask for your player to be released for an international window

How utterly embarrassing. Could you imagine Terry Henry doing that? In any event, Gregg aced it partly because his plan matched US Soccers plan…because he was the one who originally wrote the plan.

@Fk_Pitt I heard that yesterday and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Even Ray Hudson was questioning him the validity. Charlie is pretty tied in.

This federation is so utterly inept. I haven't heard one single pundit get one board with bringing him back, but hey USSF knows way more than us right?

Then we get this Crocker guy who resigned from Southampton who's been a mess for the past few years. Good grief.

The more and more I listened yesterday, the more and more I believe Derp was their man all along since their "internal investigation" cleared him. This "interview"process was a way of weeding out anyone else.

@Joe the Panther Fan
About Morris, not only the injury but if he'd been bold and brave and took on his opportunity in Germany instead of being enamored with his girlfriend and a puppy and the safety blankey of MLS and Seattle...he could have developed into a solid guy.

Lastly, looking at the Gold Cup, Concacaf has to realize that with the exception of Mexico v US, these huge venues are giant wastes. No reason why the US locations should be MLS stadiums.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
@Fk_Pitt I heard that yesterday and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Even Ray Hudson was questioning him the validity. Charlie is pretty tied in.

This federation is so utterly inept. I haven't heard one single pundit get one board with bringing him back, but hey USSF knows way more than us right?

Then we get this Crocker guy who resigned from Southampton who's been a mess for the past few years. Good grief.

The more and more I listened yesterday, the more and more I believe Derp was their man all along since their "internal investigation" cleared him. This "interview"process was a way of weeding out anyone else.

@Joe the Panther Fan
About Morris, not only the injury but if he'd been bold and brave and took on his opportunity in Germany instead of being enamored with his girlfriend and a puppy and the safety blankey of MLS and Seattle...he could have developed into a solid guy.

Lastly, looking at the Gold Cup, Concacaf has to realize that with the exception of Mexico v US, these huge venues are giant wastes. No reason why the US locations should be MLS stadiums.
Playing in a half empty Vegas stadium is an embarrassment. They should play in 25K stadiums.

Reactions: Allan McMurray
Charlie scitiliano said yesterday that this is how US Soccer conducted its search for a coach:

The finalists were Veira, Marsch, Henry and Gregg. They put them up in a hotel for a couple days and did not allow them to meet with agents or anyone else…essentially stay in their rooms and complete these tasks:

1) iQ test
2) Briggs Myers personality test
3) submit their long term and 2026 plan for the team moving forward
4) role play with US soccer, taking on the role of the Manager calling a Manager of a euro club to ask for your player to be released for an international window

How utterly embarrassing. Could you imagine Terry Henry doing that? In any event, Gregg aced it partly because his plan matched US Soccers plan…because he was the one who originally wrote the plan.

3 and 4 seem pretty reasonable to me, especially 3.

Henry was a disaster at Monaco and was OK as Impact coach but people hate on the quality of MLS. He was an assistant for a Belgian team that was widely seen as underperforming. I don't get the appeal, other than he was a great player.

Playing in a half empty Vegas stadium is an embarrassment. They should play in 25K stadiums.
I'm guessing Mexico wants these games in large stadiums for their fans. This is a confederation championship, not a US one, so buy in from other countries is essential. Maybe the tournament should just rotate among countries?

I'm guessing Mexico wants these games in large stadiums for their fans. This is a confederation championship, not a US one, so buy in from other countries is essential. Maybe the tournament should just rotate among countries?
The attendance for that 3rd place match against Panama was not too great. I think if it's not US-Mexico, the stadium should MLS size wise. Better atmosphere instead of 25K in a cavernous stadium. jmo

match forfeiture. 1st chant, halt the match, 2nd chant, teams to the lockerroom. 3rd one, game over and mexico forfeits.

In midfield, Busio is still intriguing. And I’ve never really watched Mihailovic, but people are high on him so I’ll watch him with interest.
Looking forward to watching Mihailovic and Morris in midfield.

Busio doesn’t belong on the roster IMO. He couldn’t see the pitch on a Serie B side this year. Hasn’t advanced at all since he left MLS.

Its a doubleheader isnt it? The Mexican fans would have left after their game.

They announced 35,000 which means two things. First of all, the Mexican fans didn't expect their team to be in the final so they didn't buy all that many tickets for it. And secondly, at least when Pitt makes up attendance numbers they don't just announce a round number like 35,000. They try to make it at least look real by saying something like 34,937. CONCACAF couldn't even be bothered to do that.

They announced 35,000 which means two things. First of all, the Mexican fans didn't expect their team to be in the final so they didn't buy all that many tickets for it. And secondly, at least when Pitt makes up attendance numbers they don't just announce a round number like 35,000. They try to make it at least look real by saying something like 34,937. CONCACAF couldn't even be bothered to do that.

Ok, so few Mexican fans went. That said, there needs to be a universal rule for these crowd shaming photos that you cant post them of pregame warmups. Take the pic of when 25% of the 1st period has ended.

Henry was a disaster at Monaco and was OK as Impact coach but people hate on the quality of MLS. He was an assistant for a Belgian team that was widely seen as underperforming. I don't get the appeal, other than he was a great player.
I know nothing about Henry as a coach. I do know that in Sid Lowe’s book about the great Barcelona years, he wrote that the first thing Pep did when he became the manager was to jettison E’to and then as soon as the smoke cleared and he had a chance, Henry.

Barcelona was scoring a lot of goals with the front three of Henry, E’to and a very young Messi, but Lowe wrote that Pep thought E’to especially and Henry to some extent were a cancer in the locker room. To me, that is doubtful manager material.

Tonight’s listing for tv is Fox sports at 9:30. But kickoff won’t be until after 10:00. Sigh.

Gonna be a tough one. Jamaica is bringing all their heavy hitters. Some very good individuals in their squad. For that reason, I’m thinking Turner starts in goal and Miles will go at CB if healthy. That back line pairing and whoever BJ decides to start at RB (Yedlin?) will be an interesting matchup vs Antonio.

This is funny. Someone actually put this preferred lineup out there. Either he’s a Durp MLS shill, or he’s just trying to be funny.

FzJtLqtXwAIXA2x

Tonight’s listing for tv is Fox sports at 9:30. But kickoff won’t be until after 10:00. Sigh.

My on screen guide says that the pregame show starts at 9:00 but that the game itself doesn't start until 10:00.

But here's the really stupid thing about that. The game is at Soldier Field in Chicago. So that's a 9:00 local time start. Of course that means that it must be the second game of a doubleheader, right? No. The US - Jamaica game is the only game being played today. Why would they be starting that late when there is only one game?

Because CONCACAF.

And then just wait until the big tilt with St. Kitts on Wednesday. They list the US game as starting at 9:30. But it's the second game of the doubleheader and the first game starts at 7:30. So when is that second game going to actually start? Probably more like 10:15 to 10:30. And the game is in Kansas City, so that's going to be 9:15 to 9:30 local time. WTF are these people thinking?

Because CONCACAF.

My on screen guide says that the pregame show starts at 9:00 but that the game itself doesn't start until 10:00.

But here's the really stupid thing about that. The game is at Soldier Field in Chicago. So that's a 9:00 local time start. Of course that means that it must be the second game of a doubleheader, right? No. The US - Jamaica game is the only game being played today. Why would they be starting that late when there is only one game?

Because CONCACAF.

And then just wait until the big tilt with St. Kitts on Wednesday. They list the US game as starting at 9:30. But it's the second game of the doubleheader and the first game starts at 7:30. So when is that second game going to actually start? Probably more like 10:15 to 10:30. And the game is in Kansas City, so that's going to be 9:15 to 9:30 local time. WTF are these people thinking?

Because CONCACAF.
I don’t get it. It’s always been this way.

Here’s the line up. It’s interesting. I would have rather seen Vasquez at the #9, but whatever. Jesus has been scoring goals I’m told. Because most of our 1st team spots are secure, the one spot that we need to see is the back up left back position behind Jedi. So I’ll be watching Tolkin with interest.

Speaking of backs, Dest and Scally are the two deep at RB…but what happened to Shaq Moore? Why wasn’t he rostered on this team? Injury? Or not good enough?

By the way, I’m used to starting 11’s being announced one hour before kickoff. So maybe I was wrong and it starts at 9:45 because this teeet was at 8:44.

This Jamaica team is better than the Mexico team we beat last week.

Very nice crowd in Chicago.

Hard to believe that for how big Euros and Copa America are, and not to mention Africa Cup of Nations…the Gold Cup is our equivalent and no one cares. Not even US Soccer.

Very nice crowd in Chicago.

Hard to believe that for how big Euros and Copa America are, and not to mention Africa Cup of Nations…the Gold Cup is our equivalent and no one cares. Not even US Soccer.

The way I look at it, the US' big continental competition was last week. And they're playing in South America's big competition next year. This is just a bonus with a roster that isn't their best. I'm not surprised there's a lack of a buzz

The way I look at it, the US' big continental competition was last week. And they're playing in South America's big competition next year. This is just a bonus with a roster that isn't their best. I'm not surprised there's a lack of a buzz
Just think about next summer- with Euros and Copa America at the same time. Wow.

Just think about next summer- with Euros and Copa America at the same time. Wow.
I was just talking about this yesterday. Euros will start around 10am and Copa will end around 11pm. Gonna be fun

Last edited:
Qatar brought their B team to the Gold Cup. How exciting. At least we have another B team in the tourney like the USA.

Mexico is starting 8 players tonight who started vs the USA last week, and have essentially the same exact roster for the Gold Cup. Their priorities are a bit different than ours.

I'll do my usual, watch every USA game, maybe it being the B team will make it more competitive, used to be the A team player played in the Gold Cup.

Because CONCACAF.

Because CONCACAF.
The NHL runs CONCACAF??

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

Because CONCACAF.

Because CONCACAF.

I was at the USA/Mexico game in Cincy which started at 9PM. I suspect ESPN wanted it at 9 so the West Coast would be home from work or surfing and skateboarding.

I was at the USA/Mexico game in Cincy which started at 9PM. I suspect ESPN wanted it at 9 so the West Coast would be home from work or surfing and skateboarding.

Yeah, but tonight's game isn't going to start at 9:00. It's going to start around 10:15. If the first game tonight was starting a 6:30 eastern, 5:30 local, so that the second game was starting at 9:15 eastern that wouldn't be ideal, but it would be understandable. There is no logical reason why the US game tonight is starting so late.

Yeah, but tonight's game isn't going to start at 9:00. It's going to start around 10:15. If the first game tonight was starting a 6:30 eastern, 5:30 local, so that the second game was starting at 9:15 eastern that wouldn't be ideal, but it would be understandable. There is no logical reason why the US game tonight is starting so late.
UGH. With a capital U-G-H. So figgin stupid. I bet a large majority of USA games are 9 pm or later. It’s always an assumption that the game will be past my bedtime. It’s probably why I rarely watched a USMNT game for the first 45 years of my life.

UGH. With a capital U-G-H. So figgin stupid. I bet a large majority of USA games are 9 pm or later. It’s always an assumption that the game will be past my bedtime. It’s probably why I rarely watched a USMNT game for the first 45 years of my life.

Hey, at least on Sunday the US is the first game of the doubleheader, starting at 7:00 instead of the late game that will start at 9:45-ish. Imagine what the crowd is going to look like in Charlotte late in the second half when it's past 11:30 local time for the scintillating Honduras v Haiti matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT