ADVERTISEMENT

Gold Cup (Sat through July 16)

Yeah, but tonight's game isn't going to start at 9:00. It's going to start around 10:15. If the first game tonight was starting a 6:30 eastern, 5:30 local, so that the second game was starting at 9:15 eastern that wouldn't be ideal, but it would be understandable. There is no logical reason why the US game tonight is starting so late.

Jamaica is playing T&T at 7:30, 6:30 local. They could have started that game at 6:30, 5:30 local but probably felt 5:30 was too early (and maybe too hot). FWIW, I think the Gold Cup is leaving money on the table by scheduling US games and Mexico games as part of doubleheaders. The US sells out MLS stadiums and Mexico sells out NFL stadiums. Jamaica and T&T could have drawn 10K some place like North Jersey.

Two predictions I had last night…1) when pirates had a 2-0 lead, I figured Keller would pitch 6-7 innings and then the bullpen would blow it. I was wrong. And 2) I figured Ferreira would start and score 3 goals, giving Durp additional ammunition.

Reminds me of a player who played for a small Single A school and played against “St Kitts” 14 times a season and finished her career with over 200 goals because Daddy was the coach and he left her in the game long enough to pad her stats 2-3 times per week vs teams who pulled defenders out of the school hallways or band camp just to field a team. She had all the press clippings and post season awards, all-american and then flamed out at a major P5 university. Meanwhile AAAA players were grinding out 1-0 games 2-3 times per week against back lines with other D1 players.

Reactions: eastender2
Where does the name "Durp" come from for Berhalter? I've seen it before other places besides from you guys.

Two predictions I had last night…1) when pirates had a 2-0 lead, I figured Keller would pitch 6-7 innings and then the bullpen would blow it. I was wrong. And 2) I figured Ferreira would start and score 3 goals, giving Durp additional ammunition.

Reminds me of a player who played for a small Single A school and played against “St Kitts” 14 times a season and finished her career with over 200 goals because Daddy was the coach and he left her in the game long enough to pad her stats 2-3 times per week vs teams who pulled defenders out of the school hallways or band camp just to field a team. She had all the press clippings and post season awards, all-american and then flamed out at a major P5 university. Meanwhile AAAA players were grinding out 1-0 games 2-3 times per week against back lines with other D1 players.

We're a long way from next year's Copa, but I'm guessing Balogun is the strong favorite to start upfront next year, with Pepi next in line. A lot could change between now and then though.

As for Ferreira, he probably needs a transfer out in the near future. FC Dallas has been willing to do that with others and I'm guessing he'll be next.

He's going to become the next Gyasi Zardes. They are already talking up how many goals he has. Of course what they don't mention is that three of them came against St. Kitts and four of them came against Grenada. Games that any even below average American striker is going to score in.

Three years from now it's going to be "why are they playing this guy?", and the apologists are going to talk about all his goals without ever mentioning the circumstances.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
We're a long way from next year's Copa, but I'm guessing Balogun is the strong favorite to start upfront next year, with Pepi next in line. A lot could change between now and then though.

As for Ferreira, he probably needs a transfer out in the near future. FC Dallas has been willing to do that with others and I'm guessing he'll be next.
It's gotta be Balogun #1. If he isn't the main man during Copa and the next Nations League, well....it just goes to show the level pure stupidity by Durp. He potentially can ruin this generation.

Gee, who could you be talking about?

Gee, who could you be talking about?
She was a good player, just as Jesus is a good player. But Jesus has like 12 international goals against T&T and St Kitts and none against good teams unless you count one in a friendly against Mexico. Clearly he can perform against weak teams. But he’s never proved it against good teams.

I used to be somewhat critical of another local player who for three years racked up all her goals in the 4 games or so per season that she played against inferior opponents. But then as a senior, she dominated every opponent, including the very best. She won all kinds of awards and went to college and did very well there as well. So maybe Ferreira follows the same path. But he’s clearly #4 on the depth chart. Obviously the pecking order right now is Balogun and Pepi. Then maybe Vazquez and then Ferreira. Plus guys like Sargent and Dike are hanging around too and are a good season away from another call up. So I’m not sure how many chances Jesus is going to get.

Reactions: eastender2
Why is Qatar in the Gold Cup again? I know they were there in 2021 because they were WC host, but why again? Just curious if anyone knows?

Plus guys like Sargent and Dike are hanging around too and are a good season away from another call up. So I’m not sure how many chances Jesus is going to get.
They used to be real big on Sargent, but as I remember he almost never finished his scoring chances. Dike I remember scoring 2 goals in a game once, but I think it was against a JV team like Martinique or something like that?

They used to be real big on Sargent, but as I remember he almost never finished his scoring chances. Dike I remember scoring 2 goals in a game once, but I think it was against a JV team like Martinique or something like that?
Dike just hasn’t been healthy. He’s had some good periods professionally in the English Chanpionship, but his stock has dropped. People will always love big strong #9’s, and I think that’s why people like Vazquez. At this point, I’m more bullish on his upside than Dike’s, but things change.

Why is Qatar in the Gold Cup again? I know they were there in 2021 because they were WC host, but why again? Just curious if anyone knows?

When you are watching one of the games, pay attention to the sign boards around the pitch. Notice that one of the big sponsors of CONCACAF and the tournament is Qatari Airlines. That is not a coincidence.

Reactions: Pitt79
So I think we all can agree this is Canada's B team but boy this isn't a good sign at all. They looked extremely impotent last night against Guatemala. I think Canada is just a fad right now.

So I think we all can agree this is Canada's B team but boy this isn't a good sign at all. They looked extremely impotent last night against Guatemala. I think Canada is just a fad right now.
Evidently Ancelotti is going to coach Brazil next year. Maybe if that doesn't work out he can still coach Canada at the World Cup?

Evidently Ancelotti is going to coach Brazil next year. Maybe if that doesn't work out he can still coach Canada at the World Cup?
Yes. That can happen. And I was going to say that there’s no chance he doesn’t coach them in the World Cup, but then again a really bad performance in Copa America could precipitate it. Not sure I want to root for that or not…

How bad would it look if a program like Canada with a toothless budget has Carlo coaching them in a World Cup…and we have Durp Durp?

Still no Slonina. I guess there no interest in capping him.

Wow the game is on Fox, there’s a nice crowd, and it’s starting!!

Wow the game is on Fox, there’s a nice crowd, and it’s starting!!

I only caught about one minute of the pregame stuff, because who wants to listen to those guys? But the funny think is that our man Alexi said that Ferreira is being picked on just like Gyasi Zardes. And what made it funny is that ol' Lex thinks that they are comparable because they get picked on only because they play in MLS. He's apparently never noticed that Zardes basically never scored a goal against top level competition, and that Ferreira is doing the same thing now, which is why they are comparable, not because of where they play.

He's still a young guy with almost his whole career ahead of him, but if Ferreira never becomes more than Gyasi Zardes for the national team that will be a huge disappointment. Whether he spends his whole career in Dallas or if he goes to Europe as soon as this January.

I only caught about one minute of the pregame stuff, because who wants to listen to those guys? But the funny think is that our man Alexi said that Ferreira is being picked on just like Gyasi Zardes. And what made it funny is that ol' Lex thinks that they are comparable because they get picked on only because they play in MLS. He's apparently never noticed that Zardes basically never scored a goal against top level competition, and that Ferreira is doing the same thing now, which is why they are comparable, not because of where they play.

He's still a young guy with almost his whole career ahead of him, but if Ferreira never becomes more than Gyasi Zardes for the national team that will be a huge disappointment. Whether he spends his whole career in Dallas or if he goes to Europe as soon as this January.
Ha! I was on the phone with my Dad and we were talking about this shitty lineup. He doesn’t know a lot but he does watch all the games and knows who our core players are in the A group. He did say at least the guy who scores all the goals is starting, and I had to tell him that all the goals are against teams like this. That said, the goal he just scored was pretty nice.

Ha! I was on the phone with my Dad and we were talking about this shitty lineup. He doesn’t know a lot but he does watch all the games and knows who our core players are in the A group. He did say at least the guy who scores all the goals is starting, and I had to tell him that all the goals are against teams like this. That said, the goal he just scored was pretty nice.

And then you have John Stone and Stu Holden trying to desperately convince people that scoring goals against Caribbean teams that aren't even in the FIFA top 100 is the same as scoring goals against good teams. Oh, well, it would be nice if he could score goals against the Netherlands and Germany and Mexico, but they aren't playing them.

Well it's not like they HAVEN'T played them with Ferreira on the team. How many did he score when teams like that were the opponents?

There's his hat trick, but his best play tonight was that nice cutback pass he made for an easy goal, except the player he gave the sitter to was Christian Roldan.

My Dad just texted me and said :

Dad: “guess what?”

Me: “what?”

Dad: “Hat trick”.

I love when my 82 year old Dad trolls me. Lol.

And then you have John Stone and Stu Holden trying to desperately convince people that scoring goals against Caribbean teams that aren't even in the FIFA top 100 is the same as scoring goals against good teams. Oh, well, it would be nice if he could score goals against the Netherlands and Germany and Mexico, but they aren't playing them.

Well it's not like they HAVEN'T played them with Ferreira on the team. How many did he score when teams like that were the opponents?

There's his hat trick, but his best play tonight was that nice cutback pass he made for an easy goal, except the player he gave the sitter to was Christian Roldan.
Can’t deny the performance. When you play these teams you have to standout. And he is.

Then there’s Roldan with an epic fail.

Can’t deny the performance. When you play these teams you have to standout. And he is.

Then there’s Roldan with an epic fail.

Absolutely. It's better to hammer teams as bad as T&T and St Kitts than to not. But you also have to understand what you are seeing. And these guys on television either have no idea what they are seeing or they have another agenda that has nothing to do with the truth.

I mean we are all college football fans. No one gets especially excited when some Alabama quarterback goes 16-18 for 337 and 5 tds when they play their annual scrimmage against a team like UT-Chattanooga. Because everyone understand the two different levels of competition. The USMNT might not be Alabam, but rest assured that T&T and St. Kitts are UT-Chattanooga.

I’m a Vazquez fan. Nice finish. Glad to see he scored. Hope he continues to improve and get shots with the national team.

My Dad just texted me and said :

Dad: “guess what?”

Me: “what?”

Dad: “Hat trick”.

I love when my 82 year old Dad trolls me. Lol.
One of the things the announcer said that's true, and I never know the names of the announcers because I don't care, so I can't tell you who it was, when people say Jesus only scores against the little countries, the thing is, the big name USAMNT players all played multiple games against the little countries and didn't put up so many hat tricks.

Absolutely. It's better to hammer teams as bad as T&T and St Kitts than to not. But you also have to understand what you are seeing. And these guys on television either have no idea what they are seeing or they have another agenda that has nothing to do with the truth.

I mean we are all college football fans. No one gets especially excited when some Alabama quarterback goes 16-18 for 337 and 5 tds when they play their annual scrimmage against a team like UT-Chattanooga. Because everyone understand the two different levels of competition. The USMNT might not be Alabam, but rest assured that T&T and St. Kitts are UT-Chattanooga.

Ya I think we can criticize the over the top praise while still realizing Ferreira is doing what he needs to do. I'm hoping he gets to Europe sooner rather than later.

I only was able to catch a little but I did hear Stu Holden trying to pump up Jesus and defending his production against the Little Sister's of the Poor. I guess, sure, he's tickled the onion bag, but we saw exactly what he did last year in Qatar against the Dutch. Nothing, 100% invisible.

FK, I did see that Roldan flub. That was terrible, I immediately said to myself, MLS quality right there.

I don't think this Gold Cup should raise Jesus's standing. I think he is firmly behind Balogun and Pepi.

But with Durp, I can see him becoming the new Gyasi Zardes.

Also watching Mexico unravel, they look like a bunch of Neymar's out there, rolling around on the grass like shot in the face. The Canadian ref blew giving a red card to them for a swing to the face of a Qatari player. Also so lovely to see how concacaf "cares" about the Puto chant. It's been very evident. What a farce of confederation concacaf is.

One of the things the announcer said that's true, and I never know the names of the announcers because I don't care, so I can't tell you who it was, when people say Jesus only scores against the little countries, the thing is, the big name USAMNT players all played multiple games against the little countries and didn't put up so many hat tricks.
Yeah but they’re full of shit. None of those guys are #9’s, they don’t often play against these teams, and frankly any #9 worth a $hit should be scoring braces and HT’s against such teams.

He hit the MLS point too hard but I think he was really trying to say how people would say Zardes only scored against bad teams. So when you add that to also scoring vs bad teams in MLS, it makes people critics. With Ferriera, the good news is that he's only 22 and he at least scores vs the bad teams. So hopefully he can improve and make a move to Europe. But, right now, he still has to be way below Balogun, who scored goals in a top league.

Praising him for scoring goals as a #9 against Grenada, St Kitts and T&T is like praising an NFL player for obeying the law or a student for going to class. It’s not much of an achievement and should be expected.

So for this admitted casual soccer fan. I don't follow the sport, but do engage with the international events involving US teams. I don't know many of these guys. Who are they? B team? If so, why does the US send a B team? The US always seems to lack a finisher, is Ferrera for real? Because as a hockey guy, sometimes the ability to finish (score goals) is not so common.

But my god, CONCAF is pathetic with all of these tiny island nations.

So for this admitted casual soccer fan. I don't follow the sport, but do engage with the international events involving US teams. I don't know many of these guys. Who are they? B team? If so, why does the US send a B team? The US always seems to lack a finisher, is Ferrera for real? Because as a hockey guy, sometimes the ability to finish (score goals) is not so common.

But my god, CONCAF is pathetic with all of these tiny island nations.

First, it depends how you define A team, B team, etc. If you say the first 11 is A, 2nd 11 is B (as opposed to an 18 or 23 man squad), then this would be more of a C team. Miles Robinson was going to be an A team starter until he got hurt so maybe he makes his way back.

The US decided to have their A team play glorified friendlies vs Mexico and Canada and then give them the summer off.

Also, the tiny island nations, though they arent very good, are France Z teams. Few of those players are from those countries. It would be like when Carl Krauser played for the Virgin Islands. No, he wasnt the caliber of Jason Kidd, who he was matched up against but he wasnt completely overmatched

The US decided to have their A team play glorified friendlies vs Mexico and Canada and then give them the summer off.
No that was THE NATIONS LEAGUE a valid trophy, you are NOBODY, so you don't decide what's a glorified friendly, it's for a regional championship, therefore not a friendly and for a TROPHY and CHAMPIONSHIP :)

Also, the tiny island nations, though they arent very good, are France Z teams. Few of those players are from those countries. It would be like when Carl Krauser played for the Virgin Islands. No, he wasnt the caliber of Jason Kidd, who he was matched up against but he wasnt completely overmatched
Some of them, like T&T and St Kitts and Nevis are English.

Yeah but they’re full of shit. None of those guys are #9’s, they don’t often play against these teams, and frankly any #9 worth a $hit should be scoring braces and HT’s against such teams.
So what do you think? That you are more knowledgeable than these announcers some of whom played for the USMNT? Or they are just spinning it for the TV viewers and to promote the USSF? And I think the last Gold Cup, didn't the whole A Team play so they would have been playing these kinds of teams? Personally, I think in the 2025 Gold Cup they should play the A Team to get a tournament experience the year before the WC in 2026, even if it's vs. the little guys.

No that was THE NATIONS LEAGUE a valid trophy, you are NOBODY, so you don't decide what's a glorified friendly, it's for a regional championship, therefore not a friendly and for a TROPHY and CHAMPIONSHIP :)

6 friendlies over a year period for a made-up-trophy. That's what it is. It means as much as Pitt winning the River City Rivalry trophy in September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT