ADVERTISEMENT

Great AP article on P12 Death and TV revenue drying up

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Like I was saying, TV revenue isnt going to be what it was according to Wasserman Media. This is why the ACC may be able to raid the B12 in 2030.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think TV revenue peaked already with this last round of deals, and it's going to be an ugly decade while athletic departments deal with revenue that falls far short of projections as the current TV deals expire and ridiculous travel schedules and budgets for non-revenue sports in these new nationwide conferences. The only exception could be the SEC, which is in great shape all around.

I'm glad Pitt can sit in relative safety while things shake out.

I think you will continue to see record deals for prime programming such as the NFL, NBA, B10, SEC, etc. But these secondary leagues like the B12 are going to get killed so the ACC is in a good spot as our revenue will slightly increase through the years as the B12 takes a massive hit
I think TV revenue peaked already with this last round of deals, and it's going to be an ugly decade while athletic departments deal with revenue that falls far short of projections as the current TV deals expire and ridiculous travel schedules and budgets for non-revenue sports in these new nationwide conferences. The only exception could be the SEC, which is in great shape all around.

I'm glad Pitt can sit in relative safety while things shake out.

I think you will continue to see record deals for prime programming such as the NFL, NBA, B10, SEC, etc. But these secondary leagues like the B12 are going to get killed so the ACC is in a good spot as our revenue will slightly increase through the years as the B12 takes a massive hit
And that’s why I think the so-called ‘super league’ is an inevitability. If/when those trends begin to really hit, the top brands will want to consolidate their bargaining power to squeeze every last dollar out of a mature industry.

Wait until an undeated OSU, Mich or PSU needs to travel to the west coast and lays an ugly egg due to time changes and short weeks. They have way more time to prep and get acclaimated during the bowls. Thats when the expansion will really be questioned. This happens in the NFL. Travel can be tough.

There was that too hard?

Wait until an undeated OSU, Mich or PSU needs to travel to the west coast and lays an ugly egg due to time changes and short weeks. They have way more time to prep and get acclaimated during the bowls. Thats when the expansion will really be questioned. This happens in the NFL. Travel can be tough.
They will shockingly be the last 3 schools that will ever have to travel there.

Doesn't matter, the fans can just enjoy the fact that their athletic department is in the top 10 in revenue because that's what really matters...

I don't think so. The NFL is in a league all of its own, and then every other major sports league is seeing ratings drop while people simultaneously move away from cable bundles where ESPN, BTN, and the like can make money off of every household without an alternative entertainment option regardless of their interest in sports.

I'm not sure what kind of escape clauses the networks have in their contracts with the conferences, but it seems those making the payments have all the control and those receiving the payments are at their mercy. If I was a school in the bottom half of the Big 10 I wouldn't be counting on that $ 70 million per year until I receive it. I remember when Fox signed an agreement with the USGA to broadcast the US Open and all their other tournaments for over $ 1 billion for 12 years. After five years, Fox basically said "never mind, this isn't working out for us".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT