ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Pitt Play Ever?

We got 60k for a noon game against Syracuse that year and 50k for Kent St.-I can live with those kinds of numbers

The issue is consistency. Pitt was ranked #10 going into that seasons with a legit Heisman candidate and sold a lot of tickets. That's not the norm and even if it were, 50,000 in Heinz Field is still 20,000 tickets not sold plus no shows. It's a problem with a solution that requires a smaller capacity and a long term consistent effort. Not new logos, colors and marketing.

As I have said a million times Pitt has never had a long term period of sustained success which has hurt attendance. Even the 76-81 period in the whole scheme of things was just a blip on the radar which is why those who use this period as the litmus test for Pitt's being able to draw big crowds are just dead wrong and STUPID!
It was also smack dab within the single greatest 6 year period for an NFL team up to that time.

If the Steelers still had sucked as they had from 1933 to 1974, Pitt would have been kings of the city at that time and attendance would have been off the charts. Instead, Pitt was merely really-good, competing against unreal-great level of success for regional attention (and don't forget that the death throes of the local steel industry was in swing by then, severely limiting discretionary spending ... another contest that unreal-great is going to win over merely really- good).

Cool for football fans of the city to have 2 such teams to follow at that time, but unfortunate for Pitt.

Of course even if Pitt were alone in its success I do believe the administration would have still screwed it up somehow. They essentially had that niche to themselves with basketball in Howland/Dixon era and ruined that with lack of all-in support. And now the program is dead.
Much like how it went for football from the early 80s to the late 90s. Which is a double pity, because the Steelers had actually come back to earth by the early 80s (the glorious Mark Malone and Aaron Jones Era), actually kind of stunk until Cowher came in ... so Pitt could still have capitalized but of course increasingly minimized investment in the program, freezing the boosters out and imposing overbearing standards. Good old Killer B's and J. Dennis.

Last edited:
For me, Marino to John Brown, down 3, 4th and 5 with 42 seconds left with the first down getting you in field goal range and going for it all with a beautiful dart for the win in the Sugar Bowl. What a freaking ballsy call.

Caveat- I'm a little young to remember Dorsett / Marino-- I'm sort of 1983 and later with my real memories of Pitt football

My immediate reaction is Billy Owens vs PSU

Others that I think of immediately:
4th and 17
Blewitt vs Clemson
Rutherford vs PSU
Heyward leaping over the BYU kid at BYU
Ramon Walker stripping the ball from the ND RB during the last game at Pitt stadium
Brandon Miree vs Va Tech

I'll throw R Lewis game saving INT in as a bonus!

As I have said a million times Pitt has never had a long term period of sustained success which has hurt attendance. Even the 76-81 period in the whole scheme of things was just a blip on the radar which is why those who use this period as the litmus test for Pitt's being able to draw big crowds are just dead wrong and STUPID!

Not only that, what else was happening in that same time period? The Steelers dynasty which just sucked all of the energy away from Pitt from building a ground roots local fan support.

Caveat- I'm a little young to remember Dorsett / Marino-- I'm sort of 1983 and later with my real memories of Pitt football

My immediate reaction is Billy Owens vs PSU

Others that I think of immediately:
4th and 17
Blewitt vs Clemson
Rutherford vs PSU
Heyward leaping over the BYU kid at BYU
Ramon Walker stripping the ball from the ND RB during the last game at Pitt stadium
Brandon Miree vs Va Tech

I'll throw R Lewis game saving INT in as a bonus!

Nice List. Fitz's layout catch against Oregon State in the Insight Bowl and his TD catch triple covered at Texas A&M also.

Here is your winner:

Pitt legend Oderick Turner.......catching a TD pass at Heinz Field.....in the north end zone in front of the student section....

And putting his finger to his lips....telling the Pitt student body

"Sssshhhhhhhhh"

Reactions: bubba31
That was a perfect storm year. Great home schedule, high expectations, Heisman candidate not to mention the vitriol (remember that) towards VT especially as they were defecting from the Big East. Plus we had Tu Tu Ferguson.

Every time VT scored in that game, they chanted ACC at us.
After the interception to seal the win, We all emptied the garbage bins onto their section from above.
Saw a couple of their fans get beat up by some Yinzers too.
They deserved every bit of it.
Great time.

Last edited:
Here is your winner:

Pitt legend Oderick Turner.......catching a TD pass at Heinz Field.....in the north end zone in front of the student section....

"Sssshhhhhhhhh"

LOL

2 by Ironhead are worth noting:
1 against Miami where he stiff-armed some guy...or choke-slammed him after carrying him about 5 yards by the neck.
1 when he hurdled a BYU defender down the sideline. Supposedly he did that weighting 260 but he looked 20 lbs heavier than that.

Here is your winner:

"Sssshhhhhhhhh"
He's probably the only player in history whose chief notoriety was achieved by his unwitting role in a vain attempt by a desperate league for its officials to fix a game.

2 by Ironhead are worth noting:
1 against Miami where he stiff-armed some guy...or choke-slammed him after carrying him about 5 yards by the neck.
1 when he hurdled a BYU defender down the sideline. Supposedly he did that weighting 260 but he looked 20 lbs heavier than that.
Good calls. Those were definitely showcase plays.

What made it better was that at a pre-game pep rally, Notre Dame great, Paul Hornung, promised the Irish faithful that there was no way that Dorsett would get 303 yds. against their defense.

Well, he was correct: TD was held to "only" 181, including 61 on his first carry. For me, that launched TD's Heisman run and Pitt's challenge for the national title.
Didn't grow the grass ankle deep trying to slow Dorsett down?

not best plays but some of my favorites:

-shady with one of the best jukes ive ever seen against WVU that would have went for a TD but called back for holding

-aaron donald tackling two guys

-not sure anyone else would know of this play but during the pizza bowl tyler boyd laid out and caught a ball with one hand (OB) but still ridiculous

-tyler boyd hail mary catch at half against new mexico

-revis punt return

Nice List. Fitz's layout catch against Oregon State in the Insight Bowl and his TD catch triple covered at Texas A&M also.
I know that good memories can sometimes change the reality, but it seemed as though Fitz made an amazing, eye-popping catch every game. The guy was a human highlight reel.

I pity the Pittsburgh area football fans who didn't go to Pitt games in those days; they had greatness in their midst but didn't appreciate it. Hell, even the Nits used to praise Fitz on BWI.

Loved the 4th down Marino to Brown That is my favorite
What's often overlooked in that play is the brutal hit that John Brown took after catching the ball. I still think that it was amazing that he held onto it; if he dropped it, the pass was all for naught.

Another cool play was the TD that sealed the Tangerine Bowl in the early 00's ... Phillip Rivers sack (can't recall by whom), fumble, scooped up by the monstrous Tyree Young who rumbled fiercely with it into the end zone.

its hard to ask for Pitt's greatest play ever when half of this board never even heard of Marshall Goldberg let alone see film clips or read stories about him.

Or Pitt's dream backfield.....which had some all time greats lining up at the same time

or those Pitt teams from the 30's...when Pitt stadium was sold out every saturday and the 0-0 tie against Fordham is still considered one of the greatest games in CFB history

Point being.....some of the greatest plays in Pitt history wont even get mentioned here....simply because no one cares to read about Pitt football history.

And for those that suggest it doesnt matter.....please keep in mind that 30 years from now, no one will say Pitt beating Clemson mattered.

It does matter....today..... and it should matter a generation from now.
Well said. I always love hearing "oh Pitt's last championship was in '76, nobody even remembers that anymore." So at what point in time are the 1980s no longer remembered? Any classic game will forever be that.

Well said. I always love hearing "oh Pitt's last championship was in '76, nobody even remembers that anymore." So at what point in time are the 1980s no longer remembered? Any classic game will forever be that.
In Pittsburgh media, the Steelers 70s championships are as relevant as yesterday. "Mel Blount could suit up and play today" (actually, that might be true).

As would be the PSU one in the early 80's.

But Pitt's is ancient and illegitimate.

For me, Marino to John Brown, down 3, 4th and 5 with 42 seconds left with the first down getting you in field goal range and going for it all with a beautiful dart for the win in the Sugar Bowl. What a freaking ballsy call.

Agreed. My brother got a picture of Brown and Marino side by side after the game and got both players to sign it.

Best birthday gift he ever gave me - still hangs in my office.

In Pittsburgh media, the Steelers 70s championships are as relevant as yesterday. "Mel Blount could suit up and play today" (actually, that might be true).

As would be the PSU one in the early 80's.

But Pitt's is ancient and illegitimate.
Exactly what I'm saying. People just pick and choose. So to those people, after how many years does something become ancient and illegitimate? Because like you said, if it fits an agenda everything in the 70s is as fresh of a memory as yesterday. If it doesn't, it's just written off as ancient history.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Not the best play of all time, but for me, of last season was Taleni and the D-Line crushing Clemson's O-Line on the 4th and 1 in the 4th Quarter. That was the 'Man-Up Moment' of the season and something that I have seen from Pitt in a long time. I really hope that carries over to this season....

Not the best play of all time, but for me, of last season was Taleni and the D-Line crushing Clemson's O-Line on the 4th and 1 in the 4th Quarter. That was the 'Man-Up Moment' of the season and something that I have seen from Pitt in a long time. I really hope that carries over to this season....
Yes a good one to cite. Huge play. The pick and return big as well. Clemson quite honestly didn't serve itself as well as it should in its play calls in those situations but the D had to make the plays and did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT