ADVERTISEMENT

Have to replace Slovis

Again, I feel for Slovis somewhat, he started Ok. He just can’t handle playing QB for a team where he is going to take hits more than occasionally. I don’t know before USC what kind of charmed high school career he might have had; did he play for some huge school that dominated opponents with lots of D1 OL recruits? If so he might not have been hit even once in his entire life of football like he’s been hit umpteen times this year.

You need a special breed who can take that. It is no shame on him, it’s tough, or everybody would do it. But I think he was finished for good for us after that hit before the half in the TN game. He is petrified now. Notice he won’t even scramble any longer when he has open yardage. He at least did that a couple times in the first two games. It’s very very tough to win in 2022 if your QB can’t at least do something with his feet on occasion. He’s finished, he needs to move on, maybe to G5 or FCS. Maybe he can get his mojo back and become another Flacco or DiNucci down at that level. He ain’t doing it here. Everybody needs to cut their losses here. Duz apparently was fine to nudge Bradley out; he has to do the same with Slovis.

Reactions: NKSplitter
I keep hearing people say that our Offensive line can’t pass protect. I don’t think that that is true. A big part of pass protection is the quarterback making reads to make sure that the line blocks in the direction that would give him a clean pocket. You only need 2 1/2 to 3 seconds to get the ball out if you make pre-snap rates and anticipate throws. I think if we had a quarterback that did those things the pass blocking would be fine.

I keep hearing people say that our Offensive line can’t pass protect. I don’t think that that is true. A big part of pass protection is the quarterback making reads to make sure that the line blocks in the direction that would give him a clean pocket. You only need 2 1/2 to 3 seconds to get the ball out if you make pre-snap rates and anticipate throws. I think if we had a quarterback that did those things the pass blocking would be fine.
Right! And all we need is a Dan Marino against the '85 Bears clone.

The reality is that if a mid level gibrone program like ours attracts a 5 star from a blue blood, he’s guaranteed to start, even if his stint at the blue blood was iffy. That’s just how it is. He gets that guarantee in hopes that we’ll continue to get future 5 star Blue bloods to transfer to us.

But it shouldn’t have to be forever. He has had plenty of opportunity to shine. He didn’t. We have to move on to the next guy.

The reality is that if a mid level gibrone program like ours attracts a 5 star from a blue blood, he’s guaranteed to start, even if his stint at the blue blood was iffy. That’s just how it is. He gets that guarantee in hopes that we’ll continue to get future 5 star Blue bloods to transfer to us.

But it shouldn’t have to be forever. He has had plenty of opportunity to shine. He didn’t. We have to move on to the next guy.
I’m sure part of the thinking does involve keeping Pitt being an attractive place for talented kids stuck behind or replaced by a more talented player to transfer too . Who knows what the NIL deal was too .

You can’t say he hasn’t been given every opportunity , time to see what others bring to the table .

Narduzzi’s decision making is as bad as Slovis. I thought for sure he would make a move and put in Patti in the game at some point. It just goes to show you the difference between Dabo and Narduzzi (See Clemson vs Syracuse). One coach has balls, the other does not.

Reactions: DanMarinoFan1970
Again, I feel for Slovis somewhat, he started Ok. He just can’t handle playing QB for a team where he is going to take hits more than occasionally. I don’t know before USC what kind of charmed high school career he might have had; did he play for some huge school that dominated opponents with lots of D1 OL recruits? If so he might not have been hit even once in his entire life of football like he’s been hit umpteen times this year.

You need a special breed who can take that. It is no shame on him, it’s tough, or everybody would do it. But I think he was finished for good for us after that hit before the half in the TN game. He is petrified now. Notice he won’t even scramble any longer when he has open yardage. He at least did that a couple times in the first two games. It’s very very tough to win in 2022 if your QB can’t at least do something with his feet on occasion. He’s finished, he needs to move on, maybe to G5 or FCS. Maybe he can get his mojo back and become another Flacco or DiNucci down at that level. He ain’t doing it here. Everybody needs to cut their losses here. Duz apparently was fine to nudge Bradley out; he has to do the same with Slovis.
A big problem of his also is he cannot extend or doesn't even try to extend plays. It the WR's arent open in the 1st 3 seconds, the play is finished.

A big problem of his also is he cannot extend or doesn't even try to extend plays. It the WR's arent open in the 1st 3 seconds, the play is finished.
I’d seen the post where (I believe) you said Duz (like Chryst and Graham before him) knows Slovis is done but the backups are clearly worse. That is unfortunately likely to be true, but like with Anderson and Myers I don’t think anyone is going to be convinced of that until seeing them in action. Adding to that is that Yarnell actually presided over a win (despite the opponent). If this horrid play of Slovis continues, Duz almost HAS to put someone else in at the sake of losing many fans for good, like happened with his predecessors. Their inaction (while possibly very correct) was perceived as incompetence and indifference. .

I'm sorry....but how is Patti worse? He is more mobile...not as good of an arm but hopefully does not throw into double coverage. Heck...even if he throws the ball away on broken plays, we are better off. It's all about execution and game management at this point.

Duzz is a numbnuts. If he was so in love with making us a running team, instead of bringing in a pocket passer, why not bring in a quarterback that has the ability to run as part of his skillset??? The running game would look even better, with a decent dual threat guy behind center.

Duzz is a numbnuts. If he was so in love with making us a running team, instead of bringing in a pocket passer, why not bring in a quarterback that has the ability to run as part of his skillset??? The running game would look even better, with a decent dual threat guy behind center.

and go to a smashmouth spread.

Turning back the clock in offensive formation because nobody else is doing it and so you think it gives you a competitive advantage, is not how you run the ball in 2022.

I'm sorry....but how is Patti worse? He is more mobile...not as good of an arm but hopefully does not throw into double coverage. Heck...even if he throws the ball away on broken plays, we are better off. It's all about execution and game management at this point.
I think he simply is never completely healthy enough to maximize his tools in long term action. With sustained PT he sustains injuries. It was frustrating that he hurt his leg in the TN game because it squandered a key advantage he brings, mobility. He was doing well and we still managed to tie despite him being literally on one leg. If we had him healthy enough I believe Duz goes to him in the GT game and we win; Louisville as well. But not to be. I am sure it’s nothing he does ‘wrong’ regarding conditioning or anything. Some guys just really have bad luck in that regard (James Conner being one).

I don’t know before USC what kind of charmed high school career he might have had; did he play for some huge school that dominated opponents with lots of D1 OL recruits? If so he might not have been hit even once in his entire life of football like he’s been hit umpteen times this year.

If the video linked below is accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not as most of the content on that channel seems well researched; his high school team wasn't very talented. But one this going for him was his high school his team's offensive coordinator was Kurt Warner. He didn't play until his Junior year, and the team was 6-5 in his Junior year and 3-7 in his Senior year. The video is an interesting watch if you have 10 minutes to kill.

The Incredible RISE and FALL of Kedon Slovis

What I find funny about Duzz's current love affair with the running game is I can remember back when Georgia Tech was an option offense him remarking either before or after that game one year that once they were past Georgia Tech that they'd be back to playing schools that run real offenses. What exactly does he think an offense looked like prior to the forward pass being introduced to the game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT