ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke: Come out, come out, face the press

At this point it's pretty clear that he's a misogynist. Lyke could hire Urban Meyer out of retirement and he'd bitch that the blue of her blouse at the introductory presser wasn't right and that we were obviously going to lose football games from it.

The funniest thing is that he thinks that Lyke is awful at her job but that the sports writers for the PG are good at their jobs. Even though they can't get the athletic director at the major local university to answer their questions. Or even acknowledge that they exist.

I wondered that but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Two or three years ago, the athletic department was a joke. Every single program was underperforming and was collectively at the bottom of D1. Now you have had several well performing or ranked programs along with a huge facilities upgrade that was sorely needed. All of it under her watch. Absent something ridiculous that none of us can see, the administration couldn’t be happier with her and isn’t going to get rid of her because the football program lost a couple of games it should have won.

Reactions: pitt90seven
John McGonigal in PG: "And it would be nice to ask Lyke about Narduzzi, among other topics, and give her that chance. But she hasn’t spoken to local reporters since July."

I wonder what the Lyke defenders on this board have to say about her NOT HAVING A WORD TO SAY TO PRESS SINCE JULY.

Derelict, fulsome with Narduzzi, arrogant - that's Ms. Lyke. I'm sure her enablers will say how busy she is with women's sports. At least Pederson took Walt Harris to task in 2001, you remember that season, don't you? With great fanfare Pederson gushed as the Panthers played in Heinz to open the 2001 season - only to fall to South Florida (pre-Big East), Miami (Fla) and Syracuse 42-10, Pederson told Harris he was making a list of replacement head coaches. Harris manned up to win six straight and finish 7-5.

One Pitt fan's reaction to Lyke: "If ADHL is going to keep Narduzzi no matter what happens the rest of the year, wouldn't it be a good idea to come out and say he'll be the head coach in 2021? That should reduce some of the negativity around the program since it would end speculation about his immediate future and should also benefit recruiting as well."

Will a 6-5 finish save Narduzzi?

Paul Zeise has preached keep Narduzzi based on the dreaded stability conjecture. He now says this: "That case is getting tougher to make, though, and not necessarily just because Pitt lost to Notre Dame. It is how they lost that is troublesome because it was one of the few times a Narduzzi-coached team appeared to throw up the white flag and just quit. The trademark for his teams have been to fight and battle until the end of games, but on Saturday they looked like a defeated team by halftime. "

Narduzzi's 2020 team has quit on him. Narduzzi is over-paid and snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug with his contract extension (Lyke's idiocy with the extension is generally not disputed by Pitt fans and local and national press; the ethics of this decision are under scrutiny).

As long as Heather hides out (in her office, basement, girls' soccer, who cares?) nothing will improve, nothing will change.

We are sailing with the JMII flag, but as Lyke continues to flounder, the Dave Hart flag is ready for string-up. Are you too young to remember him? Use Wikipedia and inform yourself.

Very true.

I like HCPN, but sometimes he sounds like a jilted suitor. One wonders whether he was jealous over the credit that Canada got for the team's success in 2016...?

i think his heart is in the right place but he's just not the best communicator.

whether you agree with his point or not, what he was trying to convey to those coaches was to have a plan and be patient with career opportunities. and he was right - if canada had another big year under him, he WOULD'VE got a HC opportunity. he was trying to help matt.

however, if my choices are coaching at pitt or LSU for career advancement, i go to LSU.

Absolutely nothing good can come out of Lyke speaking during the middle of the season.

The only thing she could really do now is give Narduzzi the dreaded "vote of confidence". Which everyone knows isn't worth the breath it takes to utter it.

So other than to appease the unappease-able what would be the point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT