ADVERTISEMENT

UMass to the MAC

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
In all sports starting July 1, 2025. They used to be a football-only member of the MAC. Big downgrade for hoops but the A10 is often a 1 bid league anyway. The thinking here has to be that they need to sacrifice basketball in the near term to upgrade football to be in position for a bid to the American or possibly a downgraded ACC if a bunch of teams leave, which would benefit basketball in the long-run. Definitely an interesting move.

ND and UConn are the only 2 independents left with Army joining the American. Wished there was a way to swap BC for UConn.

Last edited:
Speaking of the MAC, here is a crazy rumor I’ve heard recently: Cleveland State has looked into starting a football program. They would play in the NWSL stadium that’s proposed in downtown Cleveland and would push for a MAC invitation, meaning we’d have a new FBS program. All part of the the university’s campus-wide master plan.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Speaking of the MAC, here is a crazy rumor I’ve heard recently: Cleveland State has looked into starting a football program. They would play in the NWSL stadium that’s proposed in downtown Cleveland and would push for a MAC invitation, meaning we’d have a new FBS program. All part of the the university’s campus-wide master plan.
I can’t wait to see the rivalry trophy they cook up for Cleveland State - Pitt.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I hope not. Cleveland State is to Cleveland as Point Park is to Pittsburgh in that its a downtown "campus" which isnt really a campus. Total commuter school. With Akron and Kent State in that footprint, it would make little sense to add Cleveland State. I read that the MAC wants Western Kentucky bad but if you are WKU, do you leave a southern conference for a rust belt one? The new CUSA isnt very good but it has a higher ceiling than the MAC.

I hope not. Cleveland State is to Cleveland as Point Park is to Pittsburgh in that its a downtown "campus" which isnt really a campus. Total commuter school. With Akron and Kent State in that footprint, it would make little sense to add Cleveland State. I read that the MAC wants Western Kentucky bad but if you are WKU, do you leave a southern conference for a rust belt one? The new CUSA isnt very good but it has a higher ceiling than the MAC.
CSU is trying to shift its image away from being a commuter campus. They have a lot of plans to expand enrollment, on-campus residents, and research funding. I think this would be part of that push.

I’m surprised they haven’t taken a page out of Memphis’ book and renamed themselves from Cleveland State University to the University of Cleveland.

It’s more like Duquesne than PP. it has a clearly outlined campus over several blocks.

It’s more like Duquesne than PP. it has a clearly outlined campus over several blocks.

Duquesne is unique in that you cant really drive through it. Its like its own enclave. Cleveland State has a few city blocks, but like Point Park, you wouldn't know you were driving through a campus.

Here’s the $650M master plan they have for their campus. Multiple new academic buildings, residential halls, and a new arena:
4I7OYQC7VBF3HDW35H7E2LSYNE.jpg

I hope they can make this happen because a highly-rated public research university would do wonders for Cleveland. Between that, CWRU, and the Clinic nearby, I think that could be enough to stop the ‘brain drain’ in NE Ohio.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
WKU almost made the move to the MAC a few years ago with another program (maybe MTSU) but the other program pulled out and at the time the MAC did not want to have an odd number of teams.

Here’s the $650M master plan they have for their campus. Multiple new academic buildings, residential halls, and a new arena:
4I7OYQC7VBF3HDW35H7E2LSYNE.jpg

I hope they can make this happen because a highly-rated public research university would do wonders for Cleveland. Between that, CWRU, and the Clinic nearby, I think that could be enough to stop the ‘brain drain’ in NE Ohio.

If their goal is to rise up some academic ranking list, the last thing they should be looking at is starting an FBS football program.

The reality of rising up rankings is a lot more difficult and expensive than it sounds.

That's interesting, usually it's southern schools starting a football program and northern schools dropping it.

Potentially, in a 12 or 16 team CFB Playoff a MAC team could be the G5 rep, I think one year Central Michigan got into the NY6 bowls didn't they?

That's interesting, usually it's southern schools starting a football program and northern schools dropping it.

Potentially, in a 12 or 16 team CFB Playoff a MAC team could be the G5 rep, I think one year Central Michigan got into the NY6 bowls didn't they?
Western Michigan made it to a NY6 bowl.

Western Michigan made it to a NY6 bowl.
And NIU made it to the Orange Bowl in 2012 as well. Honestly pretty impressive that they had two BCS/NY6 appearances in five years. Really should’ve had a third appearance if NIU didn’t lose in the MAC Championship the following year.

Reactions: Pitt79

I think there is some thought that football has no chance if they weren't in a league with a theoretical shot of making the CFP by winning the MAC and being better than the American, MWC, CUSA, Sun Belt champs. So it may have either been join the MAC and try to upgrade football for a future spot in a better league or drop football.

In all sports starting July 1, 2025. They used to be a football-only member of the MAC. Big downgrade for hoops but the A10 is often a 1 bid league anyway. The thinking here has to be that they need to sacrifice basketball in the near term to upgrade football to be in position for a bid to the American or possibly a downgraded ACC if a bunch of teams leave, which would benefit basketball in the long-run. Definitely an interesting move.

ND and UConn are the only 2 independents left with Army joining the American. Wished there was a way to swap BC for UConn.

I have an idea. Maybe they could share the Browns’ stadium downtown and their practice facility in Berea, and make sure to include the full word “Cleveland” on all uniforms and merchandise. H2P!

They aren’t sacrificing much when it comes to basketball given where they have been for a long time.

Their stadium likely needs some upgrades, even for the MAC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT