ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke

Frankly, Nish’s opinion and words mean far more than anyone else in this thread.

She wouldn’t have made this public if she wanted to leave, but Pitt will need to match. No non-alumnus is going to pass on a major raise at the point she is at in her career. I’m sure Pitt is already discussing things with her reading between the lines of her statement. Unless there are behind the scenes problems, it would be a good look for Pitt to fend off talent poachers, and a good signal to the coaches and staff in the department if she stays. Pitt needs to develop the attitude of place that is a destination, not another rung in a ladder. That said, again, her work at Pitt is tough to judge because so many end results are still not known.

For the right people I agree, she has done nothing for the two most important sports, thats my opinion

To me, the stability is extremely important with regard to all the changes that are happening in the collegiate sports landscape. Between covid, nil, ncaa governance change, alston case and realignment, as well as a major capital project going on, you'd think you'd want a well respected successful ad overseeing your athletics. Heather was named a finalist for the ad of the year, was selected to oversee changes I believe for the ncaa governance, and is well liked by our coaches and other administrators.

With regard to fundraising, we had a large donor (nish) come on this very board to document his experiences with Heather and has stated that she is one of the most engaged ads he has ever worked with and is doing a great job getting the large boosters aligned.

She has gotten the coaches, and especially football. The funds needed to be competitive in the conference, something that is difficult to do at pitt.

I just think sometimes people don't understand what they have as they are always chasing a unicorn that doesn't exist.

Just my opinion and the respect seems to also resonate with people both inside and outside of Pitt athletics that actually matter.
She has done a decent job, IMO she hasn’t been the superstar some of the more unreasonably overzealous posters make her out to be, she also is nowhere near the schlep that some of the more unreasonably negative posters make her out to be. If she stays at Pitt for a few more years, it’s likely that the success of football and basketball will define her tenure here and dictate her career path. She could skate right now without any of her potential suitors being too concerned about the basketball dumpster fire under the only revenue sport coach she has hired, but if she sticks around her desirability will be defined greatly by whether Capel succeeds or fails. So far it’s not looking good.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
There are bigger names than hers on MSU’s list, including Dave Heeke, the Arizona AD who happens to be from Lansing. Heeke has a lakefront vacation home in a really beautiful part of northern Michigan. He may bite at the chance to come home if the price is right.
I realize most think throwing money at problem will solve the problem but MSU needs a complete do-over on their culture. Even if you ignore the Nasser atrocities- how do end up with 4 rapists on one team? Whoever comes in should to burn it all to the ground and start over but then again it's the B1G so there's that.

For the right people I agree, she has done nothing for the two most important sports, thats my opinion
For the two revenue sports, her most important move thus far was getting rid of Stallings only two years into a contract. Turning the page on that disaster was pretty big. The follow-up hire was good on paper, although she whiffed on her first choice. Jury is still out on it though. The Pete has been upgraded significantly too.

A proper retention strategy rewards employees BEFORE they get a better offer.
That’s true, but she’s already very well compensated comparatively. She makes more money than ADs at many P5 schools that are doing a lot better on the field and financially across the board than Pitt is.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
I am continually perplexed as to why you think these all can’t happen at the same time.

It's pretty obvious that he thinks that winning at Pitt is a zero sum game, that if the volleyball team or the soccer team or the baseball team wins more that someone else must, by necessity, win less.

It's perplexing because it makes absolutely no sense what so ever, but that's where he's coming from.

I realize most think throwing money at problem will solve the problem but MSU needs a complete do-over on their culture. Even if you ignore the Nasser atrocities- how do end up with 4 rapists on one team? Whoever comes in should to burn it all to the ground and start over but then again it's the B1G so there's that.
The thing is Izzo is the highest paid and most powerful and influential employee at Michigan State, so whoever gets that AD job is going to have to work under his thumb until he retires, which will probably be fairly soon. Still I think he’ll have a big say-so in the hire.

The thing is Izzo is the highest paid and most powerful and influential employee at Michigan State, so whoever gets that AD job is going to have to work under his thumb until he retires, which will probably be fairly soon. Still I think he’ll have a big say-so in the hire.
That notion makes that job even less desirable than it already was. Same point though, MSU is going to need to pay a serious stupid tax to hire someone for all those reasons especially if your thoughts on Izzo is correct.

Who nominated her ? Just like these clowns in Hollywood, who nominates them ? SHE WOULD NEVER BE AD AT AN SEC FOOTBALL SCHOOL, VANDY maybe , read that again
Didn't Georgia approach her at one point? The BIG has. Someone out there seems to think she's a next level hire.

you take care of good employees. it's called a retention strategy. what's wrong with a good employee asking for a raise?
Asking for a raise is not a problem. Putting out a statement with a fair amount of vagueness isn’t a trait of a “good employee.”

Well, at least not in an honest world. Maybe it’s ok in a world that puts more value on selfishness and explains it away as savvy.

Last edited:
That notion makes that job even less desirable than it already was. Same point though, MSU is going to need to pay a serious stupid tax to hire someone for all those reasons especially if your thoughts on Izzo is correct.
And Izzo won’t be around for that much longer. Trying to replace him is a very tall order.

Now that is a different topic. See, when you get emotional you even forget your own point.
No. My point has been clear from the start.

He is a mediocre coach who has never won anything when he wasn’t riding the coattails of others. He would be a terrible AD. For a fan base that so often whines about mediocrity the fact that some pine for Wanny is laughable.

Also it’s cute that you keep trying to dismiss my point by calling me emotional rather than providing an actual argument to the contrary. Good job

It's pretty obvious that he thinks that winning at Pitt is a zero sum game, that if the volleyball team or the soccer team or the baseball team wins more that someone else must, by necessity, win less.

It's perplexing because it makes absolutely no sense what so ever, but that's where he's coming from.
Its not a zero sum. Pitt can win NCs every year in football and basketball while spending a quarter billion on volleyball. However, they are unlikely to do so. Pitt cannot be "buying" these luxuries until they throw some of that money at football and basketball to try to fix those programs.

I've made this analogy before:

Its like having a house that is falling apart and instead of fixing it, you decide to have a glamorous, expensive pool put in your backyard. Yea, its nice to have that but your actual house, what everyone sees needs a ton of money pumped into it. You may get some enjoyment out of the pool (volleyball arena) but nobody will see it and everyone will still be laughing at your house.

No. My point has been clear from the start.

He is a mediocre coach who has never won anything when he wasn’t riding the coattails of others. He would be a terrible AD. For a fan base that so often whines about mediocrity the fact that some pine for Wanny is laughable.

Also it’s cute that you keep trying to dismiss my point by calling me emotional rather than providing an actual argument to the contrary. Good job
Well, you continue to be emotional.

He was named NFL coach of the year in the 90’s and also won a Super Bowl as DC. You may have personal feelings about him, but to say he hasn’t won anything is factually wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall

He was named NFL coach of the year in the 90’s and also won a Super Bowl as DC. You may have personal feelings about him, but to say he hasn’t won anything is factually wrong.

He needs some meds. If Heather stays great if she leaves that's fine , but she should honor her deal , if not, Pitt will be mediocre at least as we are now

She has given the men’s basketball and football programs all of the resources they need to be successful. Both programs have had extensive facilities renovations/expansions, large increases in funding for support staff/recruiting budgets, and in the case of football, she gave the program enough resources to make Matt Canada one of the highest-paid coordinators in the conference, and Partridge has gotten multiple raises to be one of the highest-paid coaches in the sport. Narduzzi and Capel are some of the highest-paid head coaches in the conference.

Whether Narduzzi or Capel actually win enough games to keep their jobs is a totally separate question than whether the athletic department and school have given them the resources and tools to be successful. The athletic director only has control over the second one, and what they decide to do if the coach doesn’t win enough.

She has given the men’s basketball and football programs all of the resources they need to be successful. Both programs have had extensive facilities renovations/expansions, large increases in funding for support staff/recruiting budgets, and in the case of football, she gave the program enough resources to make Matt Canada one of the highest-paid coordinators in the conference, and Partridge has gotten multiple raises to be one of the highest-paid coaches in the sport. Narduzzi and Capel are some of the highest-paid head coaches in the conference.

Whether Narduzzi or Capel actually win enough games to keep their jobs is a totally separate question than whether the athletic department and school have given them the resources and tools to be successful. The athletic director only has control over the second one, and what they decide to do if the coach doesn’t win enough.
You are just going to confuse him. I think he just doesn't like himself and women.

Frankly, Nish’s opinion and words mean far more than anyone else in this thread.

She wouldn’t have made this public if she wanted to leave, but Pitt will need to match. No non-alumnus is going to pass on a major raise at the point she is at in her career. I’m sure Pitt is already discussing things with her reading between the lines of her statement. Unless there are behind the scenes problems, it would be a good look for Pitt to fend off talent poachers, and a good signal to the coaches and staff in the department if she stays. Pitt needs to develop the attitude of place that is a destination, not another rung in a ladder. That said, again, her work at Pitt is tough to judge because so many end results are still not known.
THIS. Every word of it...

For those of you who haven't read this post, please read and let it sink in... Let me add the following for the boneheads...

1. If Heather is nominated for AD of the year, SOMEBODY thinks she's doing a good job, regardless of who nominated her...

2. If Michigan State is trying to hire her, SOMEBODY there thinks she's doing an excellent job. Gee, MSU must not care about football or basketball?

3. She is well liked by the alumni and the people that matter (Not the anonymous, message board knuckleheads). SOMEBODY thinks she's doing a good job.

It's like Paco said, this has probably gone on behind the scenes for awhile. When MSU approached her, she immediately made it public. The interest from MSU was exactly what she needed to give her a push in negotiating for a new contract sooner than later.

Reactions: giveitarest
You are just going to confuse him. I think he just doesn't like himself and women.
I think that is a big leap. And really says that you have far more hate in you.

But some people prefer to see more money put on football than so much for volleyball. This is a fair argument.

For those of you who haven't read this post, please read and let it sink in... Let me add the following for the boneheads...

1. If Heather is nominated for AD of the year, SOMEBODY thinks she's doing a good job, regardless of who nominated her...

2. If Michigan State is trying to hire her, SOMEBODY there thinks she's doing an excellent job. Gee, MSU must not care about football or basketball?

3. She is well liked by the alumni and the people that matter (Not the anonymous, message board knuckleheads). SOMEBODY thinks she's doing a good job.

It's like Paco said, this has probably gone on behind the scenes for awhile. When MSU approached her, she immediately made it public. The interest from MSU was exactly what she needed to give her a push in negotiating for a new contract sooner than later.

So you know everyone here and what connections they have ? Good to know

The two most important money generating sports Basketball and football has been underwhelming at best.

Let’s wait a bit before we anoint her in the Pitt hall of fame. She has A LOT of work to do with football and basketball. Especially, if Narduzzi doesn’t win this year

I think that is a big leap. And really says that you have far more hate in you.

But some people prefer to see more money put on football than so much for volleyball. This is a fair argument.
His argument is everything sucks every day.

Again. He hasn’t won anything without riding on someone else’s coattails. What exactly is emotional about my posts? A lazy way for you to avoid having to make a substantive argument as to Wanny’s merits as a coach or an AD.

The two most important money generating sports Basketball and football has been underwhelming at best.

Let’s wait a bit before we anoint her in the Pitt hall of fame. She has A LOT of work to do with football and basketball. Especially, if Narduzzi doesn’t win this year
She got taken to the cleaners by Stallings lawyers. He also cheated under her. As did Narduzzi. She was foolish enough to extend a very mediocre coach. He is grossly overpaid for performance. She inked a deal to bk the university with a 96 percent debt load called victory Heights. A project that will generate future negative cash flows. She is freakin brilliant. Sparty can have her.

But Pitt would be fools to up her sakary because they are afraid she will walk. Let her walk.

Have donations increased?
Have those yellow seats disappeared?
Is pitt still near the bottom in P5 revenues?
What about directors cup. One point ahead of BC from the ACC basement.
Any ranked seasons yet since the extension? No just 1-13 against ranked P5 schools.
And the worst five year stretch of basketball since 64-69.

So much progress has been made under her.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry

She is using this as leverage over Pitt. Very transparent. She got interviewed because she has ties to Michigan, is a woman, has a compliance background, comes from the Ohio state admin tree and is currently a director at a mediocre P5 school. But I don’t think she has any intents on leaving. She’s just angling for a raise.

His argument is everything sucks every day.
You should be smart enough to try to understand what he is saying beyond what you think is his negative attitude or not saying anything at all. It’s one thing to call someone a name, because that has value in some cases. But to say that he doesn’t like women or himself is pretty ignorant and projective on your part and shows the anger that is inside of you.

Again. He hasn’t won anything without riding on someone else’s coattails. What exactly is emotional about my posts? A lazy way for you to avoid having to make a substantive argument as to Wanny’s merits as a coach or an AD.
You are just discrediting his actual accomplishments to try to fit within your anger for this man.

That is emotional and it is not so smart. But you have this habit.

And Izzo won’t be around for that much longer. Trying to replace him is a very tall order.
And when Izzo retires he wants to name his own replacement, so the AD that’s chosen will be expected to play along with that. Which is why I think he’s involving himself heavily in the process.

And when Izzo retires he wants to name his own replacement, so the AD that’s chosen will be expected to play along with that. Which is why I think he’s involving himself heavily in the process.
Yes. That could be a complicated situation. Maybe Lyke would be a perfect fit for that situation.

What do his accomplishments in the NFL, 30 years ago, have to do with being the Pitt AD in 2021?
This person said he has no accomplishments since the 1980s.

So in regards to this back and forth, him being the AD in 2021 is not even on the radar. Not only that, but I doubt he would even be a candidate for Pitt’s AD.

Ad of year is a popularity contest. They needed a woman nomineee. She was the fashionable and sexy pick.

Sparty is a cesspool and stupid. Facing multi millionaire dollar lawsuits. She is a safe pick given her compliance background.

If she is so well liked, why can’t she get more than $9 million in donations for victory Heights. Why is pitt still dead last in the ACC regarding athletic gifting?

The lass just got extended two years ago. Again, she has no intention of leaving and walking into that mess. She’s on easy street at pitt given fans help Enable her and provide the Excuses for mediocrity.

Gallagher is stupid enough to provide her with a $300k raise. Tom Richards better not blink.

Are you agreeing that Pitt has “a proper retention strategy“ in place, considering that Heather is more than fairly compensated already?
To be honest, I don’t know the going rate for a really good, but not great, AD. If she is being paid well, there is no way I recommend caving to a very public gun to my head. But, that is me.

You should be smart enough to try to understand what he is saying beyond what you think is his negative attitude or not saying anything at all. It’s one thing to call someone a name, because that has value in some cases. But to say that he doesn’t like women or himself is pretty ignorant and projective on your part and shows the anger that is inside of you.
Ok Dr. Phil. Lol.

She is using this as leverage over Pitt. Very transparent. She got interviewed because she has ties to Michigan, is a woman, has a compliance background, comes from the Ohio state admin tree and is currently a director at a mediocre P5 school. But I don’t think she has any intents on leaving. She’s just angling for a raise.

Bye, go get your raise HL

Fundraising is still atrocious. That’s a fact. It’s actually down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT