ADVERTISEMENT

Help me understand the Leveon situation

A) You play for $14.5m and buy a $30m insurance policy for $300k. If you don't get hurt, then your next contract only needs to net you $30.8m guaranteed to get to $45m. Anything over $30.8 is gravy.

Yes but I am assuming he could not find an insurance company to guarantee him $30 million. It sounds great in principle and I realize that there are insurance companies who insure football players but $30 million is a lot. None of us know enough about that industry to know whether or not he could have purchased that type of policy

Reactions: Iupswack
I'm reporting after bye, no at deadline, I'm in the Burgh working out, I'm not reporting. Just say from the beginning "I'm not reporting no matter what". As one of the greatest coaches in NFL history would have said LeVeon who.

Wake up
Work out
Get stoned
Snack time
Work out
Get stoned
Write a new song
Get stoned and snack time
Go to bed.

Who gives a S about 15 very Large

Just a guess but he probably already had a deal in principle with another team before he decided to not sign. I'm only saying this because it's hard to imagine a player and his agent being this stupid.

It will be funny if nobody offers him that much and he has to settle for less than that, on top of losing the $14.5 million.

Teams have seen Conner step in and put up numbers just as good, even better, and they can now low ball him and say he's not really as good as a #1 RB and #1 WR, a 2nd year 3rd round pick stepped in and did just as good, so it's the system more than you.

Yes but I am assuming he could not find an insurance company to guarantee him $30 million. It sounds great in principle and I realize that there are insurance companies who insure football players but $30 million is a lot. None of us know enough about that industry to know whether or not he could have purchased that type of policy
When has not knowing anything stopped you from commenting?

Why wouldn't they insure him for $30m? Fournette got a $10m policy while still in college. The premiums are based on risk. You think multi-billion dollar insurance companies care if it's $10m or $30m?

Let's look at the options:

A) You play for $14.5m and buy a $30m insurance policy for $300k. If you don't get hurt, then your next contract only needs to net you $30.8m guaranteed to get to $45m. Anything over $30.8 is gravy.

B) You sit out and forfeit $14.5m and hope for that one owner who is dumb enough to give an injury prone pothead who just sat out a year $45m guaranteed. After his backup came in and outproduced him.

If you pick B you're an idiot.

Your real bet is the $14.5 million this year. It's not worth playing if you think earning the $14.5 million hurts your chance of earning that back and then some. If he played this year and the Steelers run his wheels off or he misses a chunk of games for injury, he's lowered his earning potential significantly. Honestly, "B" is a safer bet because there are clubs that will give that money so they don't have to try to draft a guy with his athleticism. Regardless of what you think of JC, Bell is a much better athlete and won't need a learning curve.

I'm not sure what your experience with insurance is but it's never that simple. They will always fight you over that big of a payout. My guess is that Bell would be a super high risk since he is injury prone.

The greater issue is what this does to the next CBA. This set-up was horrifically bad for the players. Bell exposed that and will be the poster boy for why it stinks if he doesn't get the money.

Hey Joe that Steelers guy whats his name LaVerne Bella requested a quote.
How much coverage does LaVerne want??
$ 30 mill
I think LaVerne is the same guy who asked the Steelers for $ 17 mill?

laughing.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
Barkley is a fine player, but drafting a RB #2 overall is silly unless he’s a surefire superstar, which Barkley is not. This is even more compounded when you’re a team that desperately needs a QB; the Giants made a bad decision.

He’s not quite the all around player Barkley is, but rookie UFA Phillip Lindsay has more rushing yards, and is no slouch in the passing game either. I’d say the Broncos got more value than the Giants here.

He is on pace for over 1000 yards rushing and ~ 950 yards receiving. This behind one of the worst lines in the league. If he had Pittsburgh's line - his yards would be much higher.

Despite the poor line - he is 3rd in yards from scrimmage. He has the 3rd most rushes of 20+ yards -

Yes but I am assuming he could not find an insurance company to guarantee him $30 million.. He, he being Bell, could probably not figure out how to open a checking account. He has an agent to do this. Lloyd's (wonder if they are related to Greg?) of Solon will insure anything...even Batty Grable's legs...

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
He is on pace for over 1000 yards rushing and ~ 950 yards receiving. This behind one of the worst lines in the league. If he had Pittsburgh's line - his yards would be much higher.

Despite the poor line - he is 3rd in yards from scrimmage. He has the 3rd most rushes of 20+ yards -
You should sit down with Barry Sanders when discussing poor line play...he would be embarrassed to rush for 1,000 in a 16 game season..

He is on pace for over 1000 yards rushing
...in other words (65/game) relatively mediocre rushing total for a year...I think you have some goo on your chin, you might want to rub that off...

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Your real bet is the $14.5 million this year. It's not worth playing if you think earning the $14.5 million hurts your chance of earning that back and then some. If he played this year and the Steelers run his wheels off or he misses a chunk of games for injury, he's lowered his earning potential significantly. Honestly, "B" is a safer bet because there are clubs that will give that money so they don't have to try to draft a guy with his athleticism. Regardless of what you think of JC, Bell is a much better athlete and won't need a learning curve.

I'm not sure what your experience with insurance is but it's never that simple. They will always fight you over that big of a payout. My guess is that Bell would be a super high risk since he is injury prone.

The greater issue is what this does to the next CBA. This set-up was horrifically bad for the players. Bell exposed that and will be the poster boy for why it stinks if he doesn't get the money.

If ands or buts were candied nuts.... You're assuming he might get hurt and lower his value. You're assuming he is going to get a big payoff.

He might blow his knee out playing hoops. He may tear his Achilles doing squats. He may not be able to stay off the bong. He might get into a car accident.

Everyone is assuming when all we know is he left $14.5m on the table while having the same shot at the contract he's going after now.

Just a guess but he probably already had a deal in principle with another team before he decided to not sign. I'm only saying this because it's hard to imagine a player and his agent being this stupid.
This is my thought as well.

You should sit down with Barry Sanders when discussing poor line play...he would be embarrassed to rush for 1,000 in a 16 game season..

He is on pace for over 1000 yards rushing
...in other words (65/game) relatively mediocre rushing total for a year...I think you have some goo on your chin, you might want to rub that off...

I am not saying 65/yards a game by itself is great - but when combined with another 60 yards receiving it is pretty good. He is averaging 125 yards per game from scrimmage. That is good.

Barkley has always been a good receiver out of the backfield and the quick screens, quick outs help get him the ball where he can get yards as the line isn't good.

If he was playing behind the steelers line - he would have a lot more rushing yards - and less receiving yards because they wouldn't need to do the quick passes to get him in space as the line can do that.

And yes - I realize the Lions of Sanders Era had a putrid line - but that doesn't make a difference today. Put Barkley on the Rams or Steelers - would his yards go up? Put Connor on the Giants - would he have the same amount of yards as he does?

He isn't having an out of world season - but he is averaging 4.5 yards per carry behind a bad line. He is on pace for over 2000 yards from Scrimmage. that is a very good year no matter how you slice it. He is probably a top 2-3 back at this point (based on performance - again 125 yds/ game) and he is only in his 9th game.

I feel he has the potential to go down as one of the best ever - but he has a way to go for that - and he will need help (a better line and QB play)

I
True technically not a loophole but also not something anyone thought to do before. Once it was explained everyone knew about it.
I don’t think this is true, this was/is an option many many knew of and acknowledged, Le’Veon is just the first one to fully follow thru on the option.

I
I don’t think this is true, this was/is an option many many knew of and acknowledged, Le’Veon is just the first one to fully follow thru on the option.
Probably true. No one had the willingness to walk away from all that dough.

If ands or buts were candied nuts.... You're assuming he might get hurt and lower his value. You're assuming he is going to get a big payoff.

He might blow his knee out playing hoops. He may tear his Achilles doing squats. He may not be able to stay off the bong. He might get into a car accident.

Everyone is assuming when all we know is he left $14.5m on the table while having the same shot at the contract he's going after now.

You're right. Nobody knows what might happen on the field but by not playing. But he didn't play so he made the call to not take that risk. It's his own fault if he gets hurt playing pick-up basketball.

Whether he left that money on the table will be known for certain in March.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT