ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again... B1G looking to expand

Big 12 has been on verge on collapse for a few years now. Four mega conferences are in the near future.

Reactions: JSSTartan
It actually makes sense and I could see it happening. You would greatly strengthen the Big 10 West and it also renews a Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry. The Big 10 would make a ton of $ in a new contract. They could just move Purdue to the East.

Reactions: Pantherguy4
Seriously, ive followed this closely since 2010 and was duped at first as well. People will learn that if this shit comes from the dude, Greg fluguar, mvher, tuxedo yoda, winchesterbuck, or any other of these guys its all made up. Even guys like dennis dodd dont know dick. He sensationalizes everything.

Unless pete thamel REPORTS it or someone like him, its made up.

That greg fluguar is literally the equivalent of the dude but from minnesota. He doesnt know dick.

LOL, they're citing fluguar and his made up sources? It is sad that anyone used him as a reference and tells you all you need to know about blogger "journalism." He was wrong on absolutely everything he's ever posted about realignment. Absolutely moronic.

Seriously, ive followed this closely since 2010 and was duped at first as well. People will learn that if this shit comes from the dude, Greg fluguar, mvher, tuxedo yoda, winchesterbuck, or any other of these guys its all made up. Even guys like dennis dodd dont know dick. He sensationalizes everything.

Unless pete thamel REPORTS it or someone like him, its made up.

I'm not sure some of those handles aren't the same person. They're all either con artists or major morons. Some of the things people were posting behind pay walls to generate subscriptions and clicks were absolutely ludicrous.

That said, I'm 100% sure the Big Ten, and the Pac-12 (which has previously already tried to get UT and OU), and the ACC (which flirted with UT) have evaluated this combo of additions. It is a no brainer so it is an easy rumor to manufacture by anyone. OU has an OSU problem though.

Last edited:
Texas can’t go anywhere without Texas Tech and if there’s enough of their alumni in the state legislature Baylor and Oklahoma can’t go anywhere without OK State.

Reactions: bwh05
Texas will never join the SEC. Texas A&M will forbid it. The Big? No way. They won't be playing in the snow of northern Indiana and Iowa. The PAC most likely.

You don't think the likelihood for cold/snow weather is any different in Oklahoma, Kansas or Ames, Iowa?

A big obstacle for the P12 and Texas/OU has to do with time zone. Imagine Pitt playing in a conference where 2/3 of the teams are on Mountain time. It just wouldn't work for fans and athletic team travel.

Texas can’t go anywhere without Texas Tech and if there’s enough of their alumni in the state legislature Baylor and Oklahoma can’t go anywhere without OK State.

everybody-has-a-price.jpg

You don't think the likelihood for cold/snow weather is any different in Oklahoma, Kansas or Ames, Iowa?

A big obstacle for the P12 and Texas/OU has to do with time zone. Imagine Pitt playing in a conference where 2/3 of the teams are on Mountain time. It just wouldn't work for fans and athletic team travel.

Times zones are the reason DeLoss Dodds said in public Q&A that if UT had to change conferences it would look east, which at the time meant the ACC. That was about 2012 or 2013. They clearly have no interest in that given the status quo of their network and essentially running their own conference.

Reactions: ThePanthers
College football expansion has hurt college football. The B10 belief that cable tv network would be a long term cash cow will be proved wrong as people cut the cord and look for more ala carts options. I found an old article talking about reduced tv viewership and another about reduced attendance. College football needs to bring back some of the old rivalries because people don’t care about many of the games out there. Hopefully the money will drive back rivalries and the best part of college football.

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/12/10/college-footballs-declining-ratings-2017-media-circus

https://lastwordoncollegefootball.com/2018/10/17/the-growing-problem-of-college-football-attendance/

Should B1G pull this off ....
SEC grabs OSU and Texas Tech
PAC grabs .... Kansas, Kansas St and stays at 14. I can't see them grabbing the two religious Texas schools or Iowa St and never even consider WV
ACC holds pending ND full membership

That greg fluguar is literally the equivalent of the dude but from minnesota. He doesnt know dick.

Sounds about right. As I read the article, I was thinking how "Dudeish" it all sounded. I would agree that this is completely made-up.

I wouldn't doubt this happening in the future but what benefit would come to OU and Texas? OU has been to the CFP 3/5 years and Texas has LHN and may be on it's way back under Herman.

I was also reading another article I forget which one but they also switched focus saying in upcoming years if the ACC Network does not work as planned fully, ACC will have to watch not to lose Clemson and FSU. ACC Network or not i always felt this was the most worried about scenario with Clemson and FSU going to SEC. Both have major rivals within the conference and anyone at this point would take Clemson I would imagine, FSU being down now but I don't see for long. And idc what a Florida would say about it, it's the Conference itself who will have final say in any situations I'm sure.

Should B1G pull this off ....
SEC grabs OSU and Texas Tech
PAC grabs .... Kansas, Kansas St and stays at 14. I can't see them grabbing the two religious Texas schools or Iowa St and never even consider WV
ACC holds pending ND full membership

There is no chance of the PAC taking the 2 Kansas schools. The dregs of the Big 12 are in trouble when the next wave of realignment hits.

There’s a much better chance of BYU and Boise St eventually going to the PAC 12.

I was also reading another article I forget which one but they also switched focus saying in upcoming years if the ACC Network does not work as planned fully, ACC will have to watch not to lose Clemson and FSU. ACC Network or not i always felt this was the most worried about scenario with Clemson and FSU going to SEC. Both have major rivals within the conference and anyone at this point would take Clemson I would imagine, FSU being down now but I don't see for long. And idc what a Florida would say about it, it's the Conference itself who will have final say in any situations I'm sure.
Clemson would be a fool to leave a conference they dominate for one they would not.

Clemson and FSU will never be in the SEC. They'd join in a heartbeat but they'll never be allowed. My concern would be that the Big Ten would want to expand south and take these 2 or the SEC and B10 splitting the VA/NC schools (UNC/UVA to B10, VT/NCSU to SEC). I am fully confident that Clemson and FSU will never be in the SEC.

Reactions: bwh05
There is no chance of the PAC taking the 2 Kansas schools. The dregs of the Big 12 are in trouble when the next wave of realignment hits.

There’s a much better chance of BYU and Boise St eventually going to the PAC 12.

Boise is a community college and no P5 will ever take BYU due to their moral code which, for one, does not allow gay students. Heck, Liberty offered the Sun Belt $24 million to take them and they were told no.

I see the P12 potentially taking San Diego State and UNLV eventually

As to ACC worries the ACC Network deal made us all sign GOR until 2035-2036.

So even if the ACC Network tanks we have a lot of time before worrying about people bailing

Boise is a community college and no P5 will ever take BYU due to their moral code which, for one, does not allow gay students. Heck, Liberty offered the Sun Belt $24 million to take them and they were told no.

I see the P12 potentially taking San Diego State and UNLV eventually

BYU had discussions with the PAC before, with the Sunday conference games being the sticking point. Obviously they are nothing close to ND, but they do have something of a worldwide brand. They are not immune to money either, and when their church leadership inevitably becomes slightly more progressive the issue will be revisited again.

The now defunct Boise St wrestling team used to compete in the PAC, and yes they’re much more a reach than BYU, but there is a much better chance of them joining the conference than Kansas St or Iowa St. Those 2 schools will never be considered for membership.

UNLV actually would have a shot at the Big 12 if they stay together and expand. The league has already had talks about holding their title game in the new Raiders (and UNLV) Stadium. The results haven’t shown on the field yet, but UNLV athletics has had some large donations from the Fertitta brothers and a few others with the eventual hope that the program can make a big leap once the stadium is ready.

BYU had discussions with the PAC before, with the Sunday conference games being the sticking point. Obviously they are nothing close to ND, but they do have something of a worldwide brand. They are not immune to money either, and when their church leadership inevitably becomes slightly more progressive the issue will be revisited again.

The now defunct Boise St wrestling team used to compete in the PAC, and yes they’re much more a reach than BYU, but there is a much better chance of them joining the conference than Kansas St or Iowa St. Those 2 schools will never be considered for membership.

UNLV actually would have a shot at the Big 12 if they stay together and expand. The league has already had talks about holding their title game in the new Raiders (and UNLV) Stadium. The results haven’t shown on the field yet, but UNLV athletics has had some large donations from the Fertitta brothers and a few others with the eventual hope that the program can make a big leap once the stadium is ready.

There are probably 10 schools the P12 would add before Boise. Kansas and Kansas State being 2. The KC market is a good one. Iowa State? Probably not. Iowa State is an "American Athletic Conference" school lucky to be in a P5 league.

And BYU will never be allowed in a P5 league in today's day and age. I know they've had discussions but when the rubber met the road, there would be enormous pressure on University presidents to vote no on a school that is viewed as being discriminatory towards the LBGT community.

I did the +'s and -'s of all the posts, the who going where, the they won't let them in, the that will never happen, the they'd be crazy to leave, the Texas just picks up the phone, the empty the trash bin, the hilljacks here, the hilljacks there, the they won't bring in more money than they'd take out and guess what nothing will change!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT