ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go again... B1G looking to expand

id hate to see big 12 expand just for expansion sakes. I kind of like their setup, the non division set up.. Championship game is pretty cool, #1 vs #2, 9 game conference schedule, everyone in conf plays each other (I think, call me out on that if im wrong).

I like that setup. Obviously money is the key to all of this so if they can expand and it make sense financially, fine but don't do it just to do it. Schools like UCF, cincy, UConn, they don't add anything.. Stay different, these other conferences doing divisions have a terrible set up and mismatched championship games.

yeah, I was always curious about this too. really doesn't matter. I remember people bringing up BC to ACC and how the catholic thing wouldn't fit into the ACC culture and wondering what in the heck would that have to do with anything. People brought that up as a true concern..
Louisville was an outlier and a number of schools in the ACC still are not that happy about their joining. Had the ACC not just lost Maryland, no way that would have happened.
To appreciate that, have to look at the history of the Conference. The ACC was formed in 1953 when Duke, UNC, NC State, UVa, Wake, Clemson and South Carolina left the Southern Conference to form an athletic conference of schools which shared an emphasis on academics. (The SEC had been formed in 1932 when members left the same Southern Conference to form the SEC.) In 1960, the ACC implemented a minimum SAT score for incoming student-athletes of 750, the first conference to do so. This minimum was raised to 800 in 1964. Even with the addition of Louisville, the ACC has the highest average US News ranking among the P5, something which the Conference promotes. Florida State had been the academic outlier, but their academic rankings have risen substantially to the point that they are higher than those of many schools in the SEC and Big 12.

It is my understanding that WVU had been considered as an expansion candidae in the past but academics were a catching point. Now, add that their media markets do not add much to what the ACC has currently.

My take - no way Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12. The Big 12 adds 2 schools at some point, perhaps 2 out of UCF, USF, BYU and Cincy.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Louisville was an outlier and a number of schools in the ACC still are not that happy about their joining. Had the ACC not just lost Maryland, no way that would have happened.
To appreciate that, have to look at the history of the Conference. The ACC was formed in 1953 when Duke, UNC, NC State, UVa, Wake, Clemson and South Carolina left the Southern Conference to form an athletic conference of schools which shared an emphasis on academics. (The SEC had been formed in 1932 when members left the same Southern Conference to form the SEC.) In 1960, the ACC implemented a minimum SAT score for incoming student-athletes of 750, the first conference to do so. This minimum was raised to 800 in 1964. Even with the addition of Louisville, the ACC has the highest average US News ranking among the P5, something which the Conference promotes. Florida State had been the academic outlier, but their academic rankings have risen substantially to the point that they are higher than those of many schools in the SEC and Big 12.

It is my understanding that WVU had been considered as an expansion candidae in the past but academics were a catching point. Now, add that their media markets do not add much to what the ACC has currently.

My take - no way Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12. The Big 12 adds 2 schools at some point, perhaps 2 out of UCF, USF, BYU and Cincy.
Finally someone a poster who actually knows what they're talking about.

The SEC has enough money it could break a team from a GOR contract. All contracts can always be renegotiated remember that

The SEC has enough money it could break a team from a GOR contract. All contracts can always be renegotiated remember that

Oh it could? Based on the contract out clauses you've seen? Where is this secret SEC warchest? Any payout would have to come from somewhere, which means it takes away money from members' disbursements.

FSU's SATs are now around 1260. That, for instance, is better than Syracuse and Penn State. Louisville's, by comparison, are a definite outlier at ~1080.

OK. That would be a huge hit for the distribution to the school and probably wouldn't be worth it, but I guess with imaginary unlimited funds it could happen.

I never said they were steering the ship but as long as they have value, they have some leverage.

Not really, considering they ended up about in a conference about 1,000 miles away from most of the members, and haven't gotten any travel partners added. And all this because they didn't get into any other conferences before that, so the leverage hasn't showed up yet.

The big travel problem with the Big12 for Wvu is basketball.Football no problem fly out Friday back after the game just like a 300 mile trip.Baseball no problem Fri,Sat and Sunday games.Basketball great home and home with the other 9 team but nightmare for Wvu because of travel.What Huggy gets pissed about is say a 9 o'clock tipoff at Texas on a Monday night and getting back to Motown at 5 am on Tuesday.And the kids have to go to class that day.Everytime Huggy has a 9 o'clocker and gets into town in the wee hours of the AM he has a manager text the Big12 directors.He tells them that WVUs student athletes are back on campus and thanks them for caring about them.

The big travel problem with the Big12 for Wvu is basketball.Football no problem fly out Friday back after the game just like a 300 mile trip.Baseball no problem Fri,Sat and Sunday games.Basketball great home and home with the other 9 team but nightmare for Wvu because of travel.What Huggy gets pissed about is say a 9 o'clock tipoff at Texas on a Monday night and getting back to Motown at 5 am on Tuesday.And the kids have to go to class that day.Everytime Huggy has a 9 o'clocker and gets into town in the wee hours of the AM he has a manager text the Big12 directors.He tells them that WVUs student athletes are back on campus and thanks them for caring about them.
Yes, I’m sure getting them back for school grinds huggy’s Gears,

Perhaps he should have them text wvu’s president and ad for electing to play in a far off conference, instead?

All theb12 Directors did was throw wvu a lifeline which they grabbed onto

FSU's SATs are now around 1260. That, for instance, is better than Syracuse and Penn State. Louisville's, by comparison, are a definite outlier at ~1080.
Why does the average students SAT have anything to do with them playing sports against each other, ALL OF THE SPORTS TEAMS, likely take the best players they can find that can meet the minimum SAT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT