ADVERTISEMENT

Hinsons celebration

plcp

Assistant Coach
May 29, 2001
What prompted him to do that? Was it spur of the moment or were the crazies talking shit at him all game?

What prompted him to do that? Was it spur of the moment or were the crazies talking shit at him all game?

They were talking shit all game. No one will ever know if it was any worse than your normal student section taunts but Hinson was amped up all game, jawing at the student section. No harm, no foul. I hope he didnt hurt the feelings of any Duke snowflakes.

I remember when a Villanova player (forget his name) did a similar thing at the Field House during the old Big East days.
If memory serves, it had something to do with this player committing to Pitt then, signing with Nova at the last minute, presumably for a “ big bag of dough”. The Pitt students threw monopoly $$$$ at him at his intro. Villanova won the game. Thus jumping on the scorers table to taunt the crowd.
Someone chime in if my memory need’s corrected.

I remember when a Villanova player (forget his name) did a similar thing at the Field House during the old Big East days.
If memory serves, it had something to do with this player committing to Pitt then, signing with Nova at the last minute, presumably for a “ big bag of dough”. The Pitt students threw monopoly $$$$ at him at his intro. Villanova won the game. Thus jumping on the scorers table to taunt the crowd.
Would have had to be Doug West

Reactions: xslfyk4
That was Doug West.

They were talking shit all game. No one will ever know if it was any worse than your normal student section taunts but Hinson was amped up all game, jawing at the student section. No harm, no foul. I hope he didnt hurt the feelings of any Duke snowflakes.
The Cameron student section is particularly nasty. No problem with Hinny giving it back and getting some stuff off his chest.

Maybe he reads the Rivals free basketball board and all the criticism thrown his way prompted him to do that.

Doug West

With the right type of crowd could have easily turned into a melee.

Hinson knows who to mess with and who not to

Laetner was a punk, how about the kid from Duke that was tripping guys right and left. Screw them and their high horse attitude. They get every call and break and think they are better than everyone else . What a bunch of pampered babies.
No problem with Laettner, but Grayson Allen definitely a dirty player. Surprisingly (at least to me) Allen has had a pretty nice NBA career.

No problem with Laettner, but Grayson Allen definitely a dirty player. Surprisingly (at least to me) Allen has had a pretty nice NBA career.
Laettner was a guy you wanted to hate but damn he was good and you respected that. Grayson Allen was complete garbage, I hated watching him play, he was by all definitions a punk.

I hope feelings are hurt because that was "classless", because nobody can define exactly what "classless" means :)

honestly, i bet Jeff "my heart belongs to duke" Capel was the most offended and that actually makes me warm inside..

Not sure why this was posted on the Football board, but I'll post the same thing that I posted there....

I didn't like Hinson's antics either and did find it to be over the line.

I recall back in the 99 season when Khalid El Amin of #1 ranked UCONN did the same thing after hitting the game winning shot in the Fieldhouse. I didn't like it then and our fans threw drinks at him while Coach Calhoun was trying to rip him off the scorers table.

For goodness sake some of u bitch and moan about a Pitt player celebrating after a great win on the road @ #7 ranked Duke??? Really??? But some on here will defend a drunken clown that was driving drunk in the streets of Pittsburgh. Lukewarm ass fans or just trolls. H2P!!!!

Do you need a safe space with a blankie?

No coach can publicly applaud this. You have no idea what was said behind closed doors.
why would i need a safe space, because i like to see capel get upset about his beloved duke get embarrassed? weird take..

i said that since it was against duke, at beloved duke's arena, in front of Capel, that had to upset him just a tiny bit more than usual and for that, im happy.

Only wish it could have been against a coach K led team and it would have been even sweeter..

Last edited:
Reactions: pittbb80
What he did was great, get up in the faces of these college "kids" flipping him the bird on National TV.... f'em :)

Sigh....I was there and was so ready to storm the court...lol.

We were all in shock after that. The season was a freefall after that.

Same, that was my freshman year. I was right behind the table and threw a towel at him, lol. One of the most vivid sports memories I have from my time at Pitt.

Reactions: cease10
Same, that was my freshman year. I was right behind the table and threw a towel at him, lol. One of the most vivid sports memories I have from my time at Pitt.
Probably my most vivid sports memory also. I was behind the Pitt bench. I was just looking at the video and trying to see if I can find myself but 90s technology was too grainy for me to zoom in and see. 😆

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT