ADVERTISEMENT

How dumb is Hurdle?..............

We may never lose again.....

Can anybody tell me what they’d do for a backup catcher....didn’t they only have 3 position players available today.

If they continue to score 10+ runs each game, they'll be just fine!

Even Hurdle couldn't screw that up! At least I don't think.........

Reactions: vietvet1
If they continue to score 10+ runs each game, they'll be just fine!

Even Hurdle couldn't screw that up! At least I don't think.........
They may never lose again.

Like Blass said in the middle of his plunge....score 9 runs for me I’ll show you how to win a game.

Reactions: vietvet1
My strategy this year, is to watch them on TV, usually out of one eye, because I like baseball.
There are some guys on this team I can get behind and actually like. Cervelli, Bell and Taillon for sure. Nothing wrong with Mercer, he's steady. Freese is quality and the Rodriguez of two years ago is solid.
The two amigos, Marte and Polanco......it's time to put up or shut up. They have premiere talent but two cent heads. They need to play to their potential. I was never a big JayHay guy. Just something about him, maybe it's his constant toe tapping in the batter box! ??? LOL

It's pitching that will more than likely be this team's downfall unless a lot of guys most have never heard of do amazing things.
The Dodgers and Cubs loom as odds on favorites for obvious reasons.
MLB is hard to get to invested in because you have 8 or 10 quality franchises, and the rest are basically the Washington Generals.
But it is a fun game, individual performances are nice to watch, and it was most of our favorite game playing up.
I won't pay "Nutsack" a cent, but I'll watch and hope they do well, not that it will matter.

The stat guys it seems were right about one thing...FA really tightened.
Wish the Bucs had dipped somewhere before pulling the trigger on Cutch and Cole, mostly because not sure what they got in return.

But it is what it is and despite Nutting who is a jackal & a jackass I don’t want them to fail.

It’s all about pitching. As always
And 162 is their friend; usually keeps thing close.

The stat guys it seems were right about one thing...FA really tightened.
Wish the Bucs had dipped somewhere before pulling the trigger on Cutch and Cole, mostly because not sure what they got in return.

But it is what it is and despite Nutting who is a jackal & a jackass I don’t want them to fail.

It’s all about pitching. As always
And 162 is their friend; usually keeps thing close.
Cole never did anything for me. Lots of hype, big mouth lots of bluster and attitude, but never backed it up consistently with Number 1 starter domination. Also showed up his teammates, even though he was nothing special himself.

Cutch was a great guy, no question. However he is on the downside of his career and you don't throw tens of millions of dollars at a declining player. Had started to have long dry spells at the plate, and his defense is just OK, but below average arm.

The Cole deal may pan out over time. The Cutch deal looks more suspect. Time will tell.

He had a tomato can backing him up though ....

Lol. Gardenheirer tossed for argument w ump ....who called his runner safe!!!

The National Pastime is back!!!

The rhubarb came after the guy was called out

Clint Hurdle is coa he’d dumb.
I’m sorry guys both hurdle isn’t that bad. Shziz he knows more about baseball than any of us unless you have coached in the majors. The players like him. We will see what happens. Got to get rid of Of the owner if Pirates want to win not Hurdle. My humble oppinion

In game 2 he strikes out the side, their 3 best players. Maybe we should hold off on strong opinions after game 1.
yeah the team if they get good pitching they might be able to stay at or a little above .500. Have to see what happens. Still have get rid of Nutting!

The lineup and bench doesn’t look bad, actually really....
Pitching ??????

Marte is a bonehead lol.

The lineup and bench doesn’t look bad, actually really....
Pitching ??????

Marte is a bonehead lol.
You can include Polanco and Harrison in that description as well. All 3 have talent and can play. None of the 3 really thinks the game.

Reactions: paulbl99
Up by 4 in the bottom of the ninth and leaves Rivero in who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn......
dumb enough to potentially, at this point, have a chance to be the only undefeated manager in the history of major league baseball !!!

There’s honestly a chance we can have a pretty good record heading into the Cubs series. Split the Twins and win the Reds series and we could be sitting at 7-2. Not a bad start at all.

Edit: FiveThirtyEight actually has the Pirates starting out 8-1. Have us splitting the Twins and sweeping the Reds. FWIW, they called us sweeping the Tigers. They give us a 23% chance to make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Wow, Buccos jump out to a 5-0 lead. Moran with a grandslam and brought in Harrison before that off a Polanco double. If pitching could keep it under control, they could be on their way to 4-0.

Wow, Buccos jump out to a 5-0 lead. Moran with a grandslam and brought in Harrison before that off a Polanco double. If pitching could keep it under control, they could be on their way to 4-0.

I think they started out 4-0 two years ago. How did that end up?

5-4 now.
If they don't pick it up soon they could be on their way to 3-1 ? Let's hope not!

A highlight of the game is or was Jeff Capel's short interview.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

from a Pirate fan only in good Septembers....fans are fans. either you are or you are not..

Nah. I just enjoy the progression of a typical year in Pirate baseball fandom.

Hot Stove: Justification as Pirates do little to nothing or defend the fire sale
April: THIS IS THE YEAR!
May: "Still in it...Stop hating!"
June: Hot week has diehards pointing at everyone and telling them how wrong they are about this year.
July: Wild-card is still in play. Screaming at non-believers intensifies.
August: Justify stupid trades and start to claim "This is a good core to build on next year."
September: HERE WE GO STILLERS, HERE WE GO!

Nah. I just enjoy the progression of a typical year in Pirate baseball fandom.

Hot Stove: Justification as Pirates do little to nothing or defend the fire sale
April: THIS IS THE YEAR!
May: "Still in it...Stop hating!"
June: Hot week has diehards pointing at everyone and telling them how wrong they are about this year.
July: Wild-card is still in play. Screaming at non-believers intensifies.
August: Justify stupid trades and start to claim "This is a good core to build on next year."
September: HERE WE GO STILLERS, HERE WE GO!

Pretty sure Pitt fans do the same thing each year with football season.

Crazy stat from today: Pirates only used one pitcher for the first 15 outs (with relative ease at that) and four pitchers for the next three outs. Wasn’t pretty but they remain undefeated.

So far, Pirates pen is pretty scary! Nailbiters look like the rule this year, even with a lead.
Lineup appears to have some pop.
Won't know for sure until the weather warms up on either.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You can include Polanco and Harrison in that description as well. All 3 have talent and can play. None of the 3 really thinks the game.
Watch Harrison and Marte bat against Z.Duke.

Duke knows they will swing at anything. He never throws them at strike and they still strike out. Smart hitting, they must have cut class when that was discussed. (and this is far from a one time occurrence)

So far, Pirates pen is pretty scary! Nailbiters look like the rule this year, even with a lead.
Lineup appears to have some pop.
Won't know for sure until the weather warms up on either.
I think Feliz, Kontos and Rivero can handle 7-8-9

Brault can be the long guy or Musgrove if Brault replaces him in the rotation

Santana and Neverauskas have potential. If Glasnow is improved he replaces one of these two

Smoker needs replaced by Seicrist, Crick or Schugel when healthy.

When everything is sorted out, I think the bullpen will be good.

I think Feliz, Kontos and Rivero can handle 7-8-9

Brault can be the long guy or Musgrove if Brault replaces him in the rotation

Santana and Neverauskas have potential. If Glasnow is improved he replaces one of these two

Smoker needs replaced by Seicrist, Crick or Schugel when healthy.

When everything is sorted out, I think the bullpen will be good.
Have they decided that Glasnow is a relief pitcher now? Have they given up on him being a starter?

Also I agree, the Lithuanian has potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT