ADVERTISEMENT

How low was the Steelers' offer if Boyd Signed for $4.5 at Tennessee?

Boyd is a slot-only WR. Smith's offense plays 11 personnel (3-WR) at the lowest rate in the NFL. So he's not a scheme fit or a priority.

They need an outside-x to beat press coverage but that's the hardest WR position to find. A guy like DJ Chark can do it but the ones available aren't very good.

It's probably also true that the Arthur Smith offense isn't a priority for most WR, given its low passing volume.

Boyd is a slot-only WR. Smith's offense plays 11 personnel (3-WR) at the lowest rate in the NFL. So he's not a scheme fit or a priority.

They need an outside-x to beat press coverage but that's the hardest WR position to find. A guy like DJ Chark can do it but the ones available aren't very good.

It's probably also true that the Arthur Smith offense isn't a priority for most WR, given its low passing volume.
Pickens is gonna love this offense

• Haha
Reactions: 303vND
Dear God I hope the Panthers are good this year. This forum has turned into the Black and Gold zone. Don't get me wrong you fellas can discuss what you want but I used to look forward to coming to this site to get away from the Steelers zombies in this little big city. Pitt can never get ahead because like most cities with college and pro teams people care far more about the pro team. I bet most pgh "Pitt fans" would happily trade the Panthers going winless if it means the Steelers wins Superbowl. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

While I like Boyd, he isn't what the Steelers need at WR. They drafted Roman WIlson as a slot receiver, which is Boyd's position....and Wilson is cheaper and a decade younger.

Reactions: bwh05 and BTisinDC
While I like Boyd, he isn't what the Steelers need at WR. They drafted Roman WIlson as a slot receiver, which is Boyd's position....and Wilson is cheaper and a decade younger.
This is correct. Boyd missed his window to sign here. I think he thought he could get more money initially, and the Steelers went with other options in the slot. I wish him the best in Tennessee though.

Too low

The Steelers blew it (again)

The WR room is bad it will be run first throw on long with two QBs who turn it over more than Pickett/Rudolph

Can’t wait to see who the scapegoat is this year

Reactions: Steeltheone
Dear God I hope the Panthers are good this year. This forum has turned into the Black and Gold zone. Don't get me wrong you fellas can discuss what you want but I used to look forward to coming to this site to get away from the Steelers zombies in this little big city. Pitt can never get ahead because like most cities with college and pro teams people care far more about the pro team. I bet most pgh "Pitt fans" would happily trade the Panthers going winless if it means the Steelers wins Superbowl. I could be wrong but I don't think so.
Not me

Hell no

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

Conversely, I'd trade a win-less Steeler season for Pitt NC, hell, I'd even settle for a top 10 season, maybe even another ACC championship.

The sheer utter hatred that some here have for Tomlin is, uh, interesting.
He is a vastly overrated coach who has done next to nothing for over a decade. Very few mainstream professional analysts/media types are willing to criticize him likely because he's the #1 poster boy for "black head coach/Rooney Rule".

I couldn't hold a conversation with someone who speaks that way. Annoys me. Great defensive coach. I'll never say otherwise. Can't argue with the regular season record. That's about it.
Speaks like a coach ?
He just has far more creative cliches than other coaches

He is a vastly overrated coach who has done next to nothing for over a decade. Very few mainstream professional analysts/media types are willing to criticize him likely because he's the #1 poster boy for "black head coach/Rooney Rule".
other than win a lot to games
Including seasons which seemed lost
Holy shit, jorts

If the Steelers let him go, he'd be unemployed for maybe 3 seconds, max. But your answer does point to one reason that people go off on him.

yes the WR room seems really weak. But for years now no one has been sure if it is the QB or the receivers or the OC. I rarely see a pass that isn't to a WR in tight coverage. Is this due to the WR, OC or QB? I don't think anyone knows.

What I do know is that Khan is working to build the team back up from the inside out. Meaning the lines are first priority. Give your QB and extra second or two and you might see more open receivers. The oline has been bad for years because we always want to add shiny new toys to the offense instead.

Conversely, I'd trade a win-less Steeler season for Pitt NC, hell, I'd even settle for a top 10 season, maybe even another ACC championship.
Now see; I can't do anything but respect that take. You seem equally committed to either team's success. I assume you're from the area. Personally, I love college ball and Pitt far more than any pro team, but I don't know how anyone could find fault in your logic.

I’ve never thought about this until now, but what if Pitt never de-emphasized football while the Steelers never took off in the 70s? Makes you wonder what the sports landscape would look like in the city. It’s cool to think of a Pitt-first town with a fanbase as rabid as the Steelers’.

Now see; I can't do anything but respect that take. You seem equally committed to either team's success. I assume you're from the area. Personally, I love college ball and Pitt far more than any pro team, but I don't know how anyone could find fault in your logic.
Right on, BT. I was a Steelers fan first, but what I wouldn’t give up to see Pitt win a football national championship. Not sure how likely it is with the path CFB as a whole is headed down, though… :(

I’ve always been a fan of both Pitt and the Steelers and would typically have valued PItt success more so than the Steelers.

But with the current state of college football, I definitely now value the Steelers more. At least there’s some structure and boundaries teams have to work within in the NFL. College ball is a free for all, definitely not worth getting too invested in it anymore.

The problem with college football moving forward is that while only a handful of schools ever had a true chance to win the national championship, at least other teams could still have some success recruiting and developing players, and having successful seasons. Now, if you have any success recruiting and developing, and you are a mid-tier team, chances are your successes are going to be purchased from underneath you, with absolutely no compensation for your efforts. At least in European soccer the team losing the player gets paid. At least in MLB and the NFL there are comp picks for free agency losses. In college football: nothing.

Seems clear to me that we are all going to have to de-emphasize our interest, because otherwise we are all going to get depressed. Will that make me pay even more attention to Steeler minutiae? Probably.

Boyd can't play outside WR and Arthur Smith runs an offense from 1996 where his slot WR doesn't play much. Adding Boyd never made much sense.
1996 or not, it’s a helluva lot better than what we’ve had, even if it just approaches mediocrity. It will be much more enjoyable to watch than the one we had for the past 3-4 years.

If the Steelers let him go, he'd be unemployed for maybe 3 seconds, max. But your answer does point to one reason that people go off on him.
God I really hate this mindset. What’s the point? Lots of coaches would get sucked up in 3 seconds. Doesn’t mean it’s not time for a change. Mike Sullivan with the penguins is very similar in that regard.

Worked with a guy that talked that way all the time. It was cover for his ignorance. Probably why it bothers me.
Tomlin is a smart guy and he’s extremely articulate. If he’s covering up for ignorance, I’m not sure where. Unless it’s that he’s ignorant enough to think he can win with a less than stellar staff in size, experience and acumen. But we don’t know if that’s on him or on Rooney.

Tomlin is a smart guy and he’s extremely articulate. If he’s covering up for ignorance, I’m not sure where. Unless it’s that he’s ignorant enough to think he can win with a less than stellar staff in size, experience and acumen. But we don’t know if that’s on him or on Rooney.
I'm not saying he isn't a smart person. I know you don't get to that station in life by being ignorant. This was in response to his style of speaking and why it bothers me, personally. Just reminds me of an idiot I dealt with.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT