ADVERTISEMENT

How much will West Virginia be favored by Tomorrow?

Why would Wvu be favored at Pitt?Help us out here 08 I just can't see that happening.Wvu coming off a last place finish in the Big12 and playing at Pitt.

Should be even - but with Pitt at home we should get a few pts.

My guess is that it opens at -2.5 in favor of the good guys

I would be shocked if Pitt is favored. We are projected 5th in what’ll likely be best KenPom league again. Vegas doesn’t look at last season.

I would be shocked if Pitt is favored. We are projected 5th in what’ll likely be best KenPom league again. Vegas doesn’t look at last season.

Pitt is better than WVU. Sure, WVU can win but I would be pretty surprised if WVU were favored at our place. I realize we lost to Nicholls but we did beat FSU who just won at Florida. Oddsmakers will put more weight on that.

Reactions: SacreBleu
Pitt is better than WVU. Sure, WVU can win but I would be pretty surprised if WVU were favored at our place. I realize we lost to Nicholls but we did beat FSU who just won at Florida. Oddsmakers will put more weight on that.
On paper, WVU has about equal guards/wings and much better bigs. What makes you think we’re better?! It’s probably pretty even.

In the 2 classes since Capel has been here, WVU has the 26th and 22nd composite classes. As opposed to the 32nd and 49th.

On paper, WVU has about equal guards/wings and much better bigs. What makes you think we’re better?! It’s probably pretty even.

In the 2 classes since Capel has been here, WVU has the 26th and 22nd composite classes. As opposed to the 32nd and 49th.

Pitt's guards are clearly better.

Pitt's guards are clearly better.
Yes, they have looked so good this year.

Jordan McCabe is solid and played all year last year with a partially torn MCL.

If x and Trey try to score on Oscar and Culver all game we’re not gonna win. And by this I mean they need to pull up and shoot 8 footers and dump the ball off. Their bigs are athletic but not disciplined.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
It will essentially be a push, maybe a point or so one way or the other.
WVU has 8 players that played or would have played in 30 games last season (Culver), plus Oscar a top recruit, plus a HOF coach. Pitt lost to Nichols at home and allowed an 0-18 run against RMU.

Yes, they have looked so good this year.

Jordan McCabe is solid and played all year last year with a partially torn MCL.

If x and Trey try to score on Oscar and Culver all game we’re not gonna win. And by this I mean they need to pull up and shoot 8 footers and dump the ball off. Their bigs are athletic but not disciplined.

If X and Trey get WVU bigs into foul trouble, that will be a huge factor in winning.

WVU has 8 players that played or would have played in 30 games last season (Culver), plus Oscar a top recruit, plus a HOF coach. Pitt lost to Nichols at home and allowed an 0-18 run against RMU.

30 games on a team that finished six games under .500.

West Virginia was marginally better than us last year. They are probably marginally better than us this year. We are the home team. It will be around a push, maybe a point or at most two one way or the other. If it's more than that then people should jump on it.

While I cannot refute what you say, I am shocked how quickly everyone forgets they beat a ranked FSU team, which then turned around and beat #6 Florida at Florida. These early games are not a good barometer for the whole season. I want to see it play out and see if X and Trey turn into leaders and team players. Plenty of time to correct to negatives we have seen so far.

While I cannot refute what you say, I am shocked how quickly everyone forgets they beat a ranked FSU team, which then turned around and beat #6 Florida at Florida. These early games are not a good barometer for the whole season. I want to see it play out and see if X and Trey turn into leaders and team players. Plenty of time to correct to negatives we have seen so far.
To be clear, I am not saying Pitt can't win. For Pitt to win they have to protect the ball and McGowens and Murphy have to get at least 30 combined.

If X and Trey continue to turn the ball over and Trey doesn't score, it could be ugly.

WVU will defend.

Last edited:
but yet play on a team ranked below Pitt in most of the pre-season rankings I saw...Pitt -2.5 seems about right...

To be clear, I am not saying Pitt can't win. For Pitt to win they have to protect the ball and McGowens and Murphy have to get at least 30 combined.

If X and Trey continue to turn the ball over and Trey doesn't score, it could be ugly.

WVU will defend.
X and Trey have not handled ball pressure above the high post very well thus far and WVU will bring plenty of that for sure.

Don't have a good feeling about this one. Suspect we are going to get a double digit loss.

Hope to be completely wrong about my gut feeling.

Reactions: 30CAT
I expect a pick 'em, the computers have us by 1-3 across most metrics.

WVU didn't look great in their opener, they couldn't outrebound Akron and didn't force a ton of turnovers. They'll have to pay better to beat us but our guards, especially Johnson, will have to play better to beat them.

Classic early season coin flip.

Opened at Pitt -1.5, now a pick ‘em. o/u 145.

Basically mirroring KenPom (which is not to say that KenPom is right), which started today calling for a 73-72 Pitt win and is now at 73-71 after tonight's results.

Basically mirroring KenPom (which is not to say that KenPom is right), which started today calling for a 73-72 Pitt win and is now at 73-71 after tonight's results.

Pitt is favored by 1 on The Rivers.

FWIW, Sagarin's computer today shows West Virginia better than Pitt by between ~5.5 to ~7.5 neutral site (depending on which of the 4 Sagarin numbers is chosen). It would still have West Virginia favored by between ~2.5 (Predictor) to ~4.5 (Recent) after considering that Pitt has the approximate 3 point home court advantage.

Of course, Sagarin's numbers are highly volatile right now (too few games played) and still reflect pre-season (guessed?) starting ratings. Further into the season they will settle and then generally will tend to closely track the Vegas opening point predictions.

I expect Culver to have a big game tonight.Surely he won't go 4-15 from point blank range again.He'll be a match up problem. Oscar might not play that much because of Pitt's small lineup.He has trouble guarding smaller players right now.If Wvu can't stop the drive Pitt will win it at the foul line or with open 3s off the drive. It wouldn't surprise me if Wvu wins by 10 or Pitt wins by 10.Two very mediocre teams going at it tonight.My thought tonight is don't bet the game.

Reactions: Drew1208
I expect Culver to have a big game tonight.Surely he won't go 4-15 from point blank range again.He'll be a match up problem. Oscar might not play that much because of Pitt's small lineup.He has trouble guarding smaller players right now.If Wvu can't stop the drive Pitt will win it at the foul line or with open 3s off the drive. It wouldn't surprise me if Wvu wins by 10 or Pitt wins by 10.Two very mediocre teams going at it tonight.My thought tonight is don't bet the game.

Bet on Pitt. I doubt Pitt loses this. 2 evenly matched teams. Bet on the home team in a rivalry game.

Reactions: 30CAT and EERS 2 Ya

WVU is such an unknown commodity this year. After Bob Huggins kicked the cancers off of the team last season and in the offseason, the team played much better - and everyone returns. And, don't take much from WVU's opener vs. Akron, as Jordan McCabe only played 9 minutes and Oscar Tshiebwe only played 12 minutes. Huggins was experimenting with lineups all game, other than Derek Culver, who played his usual.

We'll find out a bit more about WVU tonight. But, I will say this: WVU is much, much better now than last year. In particular, WVU has a true freshman guard named Miles "Deuce" McBride, who is a legit defensive stopper. He played 29 minutes in WVU's opener. I expect that Huggins will start him tonight and put him on either X or Trey as a lockdown assignment. Derek Culver vs. Terrell Brown will be interesting as well...I imagine that Huggs will try to get Brown into some foul trouble early.

McBride won't start tonight.When he does get in we'll see what kind of defender he really is against the drive.McCabe and Oscar 's playing time will be determined by McCabe and Oscar.If they don't do what Huggs wants both will get less than 10 minutes like last game.Tonight's big key is Haley,if he goes off and Culver gets 16-18 Wvu wins.
Bwdik I'm a retired public school teacher that deliveres pizza to make ends meet!

Reactions: Drew1208
As I told u before the game, they simply have more talent than us.
The style WVU plays, Pitt needed to protect the ball, value every possession and take good shots. You need to try to win a game in the 50s or low 60s. WVU does not like to play against that style. They try to speed you up. Frustrate them.

The style WVU plays, Pitt needed to protect the ball, value every possession and take good shots. You need to try to win a game in the 50s or low 60s. WVU does not like to play against that style. They try to speed you up. Frustrate them.
Well whatever our game plan was... sucked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT