ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley and Gueye

I’m cautiously optimistic— cautious as Hugley is still very early in his development and its not obvious Guye will be a major upgrade over Brown/AKc. My sense is he will be - but certainly not a given.

I think we’ll have more capable defensive rebounders. At times last season it felt like Champagnie was the only willing rebounder we had. The transfer from Oakland, Payton, Guye, Hugley, Collier , Jeffress seem like a deeper group - at least on the glass - than our recent teams.
I like our guards and think they will be fine. I definitely think Hugs and Gueye are going to be a better tandem on the interior. The question to ask is who steps up to score the points we lost from Penny? We probably are going to need everyone to pitch in. The more I think about it, I really believe this team can be better than last year's team if Capel can get these guys to play team first basketball.

Reactions: MajorMajors
Was it just me, or didn’t the season fall apart right around the time Hugley was suspended? This might sound crazy. But I would take him over anyone who left via the portal. If champ came back they would have a chance at making the NCAAT even with the portal losses.

Was it just me, or didn’t the season fall apart right around the time Hugley was suspended? This might sound crazy. But I would take him over anyone who left via the portal. If champ came back they would have a chance at making the NCAAT even with the portal losses.

I am not sure if that was the exact moment, I believe we won a little bit after he was gone (I can remember us winning the Syracuse game right after he left, if memory serves me correctly). But you're right, our other bigs weren't able to do anything and other teams were able to key in on JC, pretty much leaving it down to guard play. And we know how inconsistent that was last year.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
You're right about winning
"a little bit after he was
gone." Actually it was more
than a little. We won three
in a row without him; Cuse
twice and Duke. We then
lost against an incredibly
hot shooting (3's), WF.

The wheels fell of after
that. Apparent internal
problems, good X/bad X,
no inside game, etc.
We lost the next several,
and then beat VT, 83-72.
Of course that was good X
showing up with 32pts.,
7 assists, 5 rebounds and
2 steals.

The game worth noting IMO
is the 79-73 Miami loss in the
tourney. No X, and no Toney,
and of course no Hugley.
Champ only had 11pts, but
Odukale had 28, Sibande 24.
Our two bigs,...0 pts. and
3 rebounds between them.
Horton had 10 pts. The good
news is we go into this
coming season much better
than what we were in that
Miami game which we almost
won with NO, NONE, ZILCH,
of an inside game, and little
production from Champ.

Said the same thing my man.

Reactions: DnTanna07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT