ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley underrated -Bossi

Unless TB really ups his game I think JC will try to work all three freshman bigs into the lineup as much as possible .

Do we really think Hugley and AKC will take all of Brown's minutes? I feel like Capel would have had a honest conversation with Brown after the season about PT next season. I doubt he'd lie to Brown about his minutes to keep him around. Why would Brown would stay if he was told he'd be losing minutes to the newcomers?

Do we really think Hugley and AKC will take all of Brown's minutes? I feel like Capel would have had a honest conversation with Brown after the season about PT next season. I doubt he'd lie to Brown about his minutes to keep him around. Why would Brown would stay if he was told he'd be losing minutes to the newcomers?
My guess is that TB is just comfortable at Pitt and doesn’t wanna leave for his final season. I don’t think he’s graduated yet either, so he’d have to sit out a year. Maybe he just isn’t interested in being a star on a bad team.

He was watching the ACC tournament just like we were.

Brown needed to be more consistent last season. If he continues with that, he won't average more than 10min a game if Capel has options IMO.

IMO Brown is what is and has showed it the last 3 years. I believe he wants to see this team succeed and become a winner his last yr and I think he will be happy just being apart of it whether he plays 5 to 15 minutes a game. IMO coach would replace him in a heart beat if Adama reclassified and wanted to commit because he wasn't a JC recruit so he doesn't have to stay committed to him.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
IMO Brown is what is and has showed it the last 3 years. I believe he wants to see this team succeed and become a winner his last yr and I think he will be happy just being apart of it whether he plays 5 to 15 minutes a game. IMO coach would replace him in a heart beat if Adama reclassified and wanted to commit because he wasn't a JC recruit so he doesn't have to stay committed to him.
I don’t think so , what would that say about JC loyalty to his players . TB will be at Pitt unless he chooses to go elsewhere .

It will say I recruited you and your my guys an TB was Stallings guy and I'm trying to build a better team. Now I know it probably won't happen so I'm just talkin but here's a question for you. Do you honestly believe yourself if one of the 3 big time big guys like Adama wanted to come he wouldn't get rid of TB?
I don’t think so , what would that say about JC loyalty to his players . TB will be at Pitt unless he chooses to go elsewhere .

Yep. I think he knows what he is and is a team guy. Might not be a starter but I am grateful for his time here through some tough times.

I love 5 out.
Not unless you have 3 strong outside shooters. Otherwise you just play a tighter pack defense and take away all drives and cuts. Then force bad outside shots and easily grab the defensive rebounds because you 5 guys are all standing around the perimeter. 5 out is really easy to defend.

Reactions: Drew1208
Coach has been wanting bigs real bad and now that he'll have 4 deep its hard to believe that he'll stick with the 1-4 sets all the time or he will be recruiting for bigs again because these young guys these days don't like sitting and will leave real quick especially if the rule passes the one-time transfer w/o sitting starts in 2021.

Not unless you have 3 strong outside shooters. Otherwise you just play a tighter pack defense and take away all drives and cuts. Then force bad outside shots and easily grab the defensive rebounds because you 5 guys are all standing around the perimeter. 5 out is really easy to defend.
Anything is easy to defend if you can’t shoot or don’t have talented players. The best sets in the world weren’t gonna win us games Stallings year 2, Capel year 1. I’m saying in theory 5 out with Hugley at a stretch 5 is ideal.

Reactions: Drew1208 and cabe23
It will say I recruited you and your my guys an TB was Stallings guy and I'm trying to build a better team. Now I know it probably won't happen so I'm just talkin but here's a question for you. Do you honestly believe yourself if one of the 3 big time big guys like Adama wanted to come he wouldn't get rid of TB?
Yes , I think JC feels indebted to TB . I also see JC as a man of character and won’t force out a senior whose contributed .
I also doubt Pitt gets Jeffress , Murphy and AS , but if he did GD needs a new home if he ever wants to play .

Shall i say i liked to play it back in the day.
Grew up on team with 4 good shooters and no big man

Reactions: rockypanther
He would have to be Pittsnogle level shooter to make that work.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kevin-pittsnogle-1.html
Not necessarily. All we would need is for them to have to respect his shot to the point they didn’t Ben Simmons him. Once they come out, use his athleticism to blow by slower bigs, and start running some offense. not whatever drek stallings ran with 5 out.

Clemson is a team who ran a fair amount of 5 out with amir Simms. Could look something similar to that. Despite them not being very good, they run great offense.

Not necessarily. All we would need is for them to have to respect his shot to the point they didn’t Ben Simmons him. Once they come out, use his athleticism to blow by slower bigs, and start running some offense. not whatever drek stallings ran with 5 out.

Clemson is a team who ran a fair amount of 5 out with amir Simms. Could look something similar to that. Despite them not being very good, they run great offense.

OK ...

I think TB has just about maxed out his talent. He is what he is. I think he starts, being a senior. But how many minutes he gets depends on how well AKC, Hugely and Amadusen progress. At any rate the situation inside looks to be Huge-ly better than last year. Pardon my pun.

IMO I don't think TB starts but if does I think he plays 15 to 20 mins early like the first 5 to 10 games then depending on AKC and Big John's development TV's mins could go down to what I think is a good 10 to 15 mins.
I think TB has just about maxed out his talent. He is what he is. I think he starts, being a senior. But how many minutes he gets depends on how well AKC, Hugely and Amadusen progress. At any rate the situation inside looks to be Huge-ly better than last year. Pardon my pun.

The big guy minutes aren't a mystery, in how this goes down, it doesn't matter who starts, JC will play TB, AKC, Big John, however their play and game flow dictates.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
If Big John comes in and he plays like Blair did as a freshman he won’t be out of the lineup except for rests and foul issues , if he comes in an plays like Donte Taylor then their will be a rotation , if he’s somewhere in between then he’ll start , but the hot guy will play the majority of the minutes . This will not be a Stevan Adams case were JD held him back , JC will take advantage of all of BJ skills .

Yes. That is how it will come to be worked out on the court.

That being noted, fan hopes (at least this one's) are for enough offensive production and defensive rebounding out of the newcomers (Hugley, Colier, Amadasun) plus Coulibaly (as a group) and with (or without) T. Brown's contribution that the team's overall post position (C/PF) offensive and defensive production will "shake-out" to be a significant improvement over last season.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Jeffburgh
We should use Terrell Brown in the Toree Morris role. Start him, take him out 2 mins in. Use him in emergency situations and for fouls or if he plays well one or two games. But keep him happy by starting him and giving him a chance but hopefully his team has a similar impact on the country.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Yes I was thinking the same way because he's a senior with a lot of playing exp. Though I don't really like that he's a softy but exp does count for something. I like said the other day I think he'll be happy getting 10 mins a game because IMO I think he really likes being a Panther and wants to win.
We should use Terrell Brown in the Toree Morris role. Start him, take him out 2 mins in. Use him in emergency situations and for fouls or if he plays well one or two games. But keep him happy by starting him and giving him a chance but hopefully his team has a similar impact on the country.

Reactions: PhysicalOatmeal
If Big John comes in and he plays like Blair did as a freshman he won’t be out of the lineup except for rests and foul issues , if he comes in an plays like Donte Taylor then their will be a rotation , if he’s somewhere in between then he’ll start , but the hot guy will play the majority of the minutes . This will not be a Stevan Adams case were JD held him back , JC will take advantage of all of BJ skills .
BJ skills?? Wait..what???

I never understood why anyone actually thought Dixon held Steven Adams back. Big Steve was always a one and done guy (whether anyone believed it when he arrived at Pitt or not). He was used appropriately for his skill set and level of development during his brief time at Pitt, IMHO.

I never understood why anyone actually thought Dixon held Steven Adams back. Big Steve was always a one and done guy and he was used appropriately for his skill set and level of development when at Pitt, IMHO.

His NBA gane is basically the same as it was under Dixon. He was used correctly here.

Reactions: Ski11585
Because that's what he said when asked about it!
I never understood why anyone actually thought Dixon held Steven Adams back. Big Steve was always a one and done guy (whether anyone believed it when he arrived at Pitt or not). He was used appropriately for his skill set and level of development during his brief time at Pitt, IMHO.

You mustn’t have watched him play at Greentree .

He could’ve been far more impactful offensively at Pitt , he wasn’t playing against NBA players .

He wasn't even part of the offense here. I think he should have been given more opportunities on the inside post up game.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Because that's what he said when asked about it!

I know he said that, but that doesn’t make it true. IMHO, it wasn’t anything more than the personal opinion of a flaky kind of guy who didn’t want to be in college anyway. Also, in hindsight his Pitt stay has had zero negative impact on his NBA career.

You mustn’t have watched him play at Greentree .

He could’ve been far more impactful offensively at Pitt , he wasn’t playing against NBA players .

He was used the way the coach thought best for overall team success. Basketball is a team game.

Yes I’ve said several times he compared similarly to Biggs and I think Tyrell was underrated at Pitt. Man yinz are miserable.
I don’t think Biggs is a bad comparison at all actually and to your point, Tyrell was a pretty good player. On a different team he might have had a bigger role.

Biggs was once a big time recruit. A guy that Duke followed heavily. People tend to forget that. But, as he went deeper into his H.S. years, they and a few other big programs fell off for the reasons that you cite. He never quite wanted to play with his size though he was very skilled. He also had some conditioning issues that he completely changed at Pitt (his physical transformation rivals most any other player that walked through the doors during Dixon's tenure, the only guy that I think had a bigger one was McGhee).

I have said this before, but I think the conditioning is still an issue for Hugley though it is vastly improved. He needs a lot of time with Christopher (also to work on his movement patterns). And, I am not sold on his motor/want to play big. But, I am sold on that when he wants to play big, he knows what to do and plays quick for his size. I am also sold on the versatility of his skill set and how it translates over time as he improves. I think that they will have to prod him at times but that he generally just wants to get it done (become a really good player).

His role next year will depend upon conditioning, in my view.
Conditioning and relatedly, mobility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT