ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley

Beat me to it... was just going to post this. Also said offer is more than both UConn and Rhode Island but both are still in play. Decision likely within 24 hours.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Only 2 things stopping him from becoming Pitt’s next coach.

1). A total rebuild of program

2). Wife/family

We took a big swing here, even if he turns us down I'll rest easy knowing there's not much more we could have done. Hopefully we get an answer soon so we can sign on the dotted line or move onto option 2.

It's not anrebuild because basketball one class is all I need,with good assistants pitt can win

Don't forget there is also a new excise tax of 21% on all university salaries over $1million. So these numbers, if real, are even bigger than you think based on the tax Pitt will have to pay on that.

ACC money.
It will be sad if he rejects that and goes to uconn and the aac.
If that's what he wants to do, then whatever. Weird definitely if he would. Can't say we didn't present him with the better opportunity though.

Im guessing this was Pitt's counteroffer, the one that put them ahead of Uconn.
We can Hope.

This gives UConn 24 hours to call as many big boosters as they've got to close the gap as best they can. Would be really interested to know where their offer came in. Clearly there's a lower number Hurley will take simply to not have to deal with the Pitt rebuild.

One way or another, we'll know where the Pitt job stands. If he ends up at UConn or URI for significantly less... ouch. My guess would be that UConn finds enough money.

What this tells us is PITT understands they lay in the bed they made when they tore down PITT stadium...built the Pete.

We will do everything in our power to be competitive in basketball....likely at the expense of football.

Don't tell me this shows PITT is willing to spend.....PITT made this choice years ago and now there is no going back.

3 mill is cost of doing business and not an expression of an enhanced commitment to PITT athletics.

When narduzzi is top 15 in pay I will come here and eat crow. Until then......

You can't say Pitt isn't trying. This is a very encouraging sign. Given what they are willing to spend it still makes me wonder how the hell we ended up with Stallings last time?
Barnes and turner literally just handed their buddy Kevin a job and saved him the shame of being fired from vandy. Pitt under Lyke is willing to spend money, Pitt under Barnes was a sham.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
What this tells us is PITT understands they lay in the bed they made when they tore down PITT stadium...built the Pete.

We will do everything in our power to be competitive in basketball....likely at the expense of football.

Don't tell me this shows PITT is willing to spend.....PITT made this choice years ago and now there is no going back.

3 mill is cost of doing business and not an expression of an enhanced commitment to PITT athletics.

There you have it...

This is an existential crisis for UConn as well, folks. If they lose Hurley to Pitt, that's a massive signal casting doubt on the UConn brand and potential moving forward. Clearly those folks understand this and will do the most they possibly can to get Hurley.

This is tense.

Reactions: CrazyPaco
I would think, from a purely competitive point of view, that Hurley would see the ACC > AAC.

More likely, they are viewing it from the lost revenue perspective, which they didn't foresee in the last coaching search but which can't be ignored presently.

My fear is that Hurley is merely using Pitt to get the most out of UConn. No doubt, URI is out of play at this point.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Only 2 things stopping him from becoming Pitt’s next coach.

1). A total rebuild of program

2). Wife/family

Rebuilds are horribly overrated in college basketball, with a couple good players it can literally happen overnight.

Besides that UConn is pretty much in need of a rebuild as well. They lose some players and their roster is lousy.

If this works out, let's hope all the posters on here that say they will donate if Pitt shows it is willing to spend, actually, you know, donate.

I'm sure they will come up with another excuse.

Reactions: Pittguy93
Pitt offered to pay the guy three times his current salary which would put him in the top 10 - 12 highest paid coaches in the country. If he doesn’t take it, (I don't think he does) Pitt did what it is supposed to do and did what a "major" program should do. Not that they haven't before - how many times did they redo Dixon so he would stay - but it is refreshing to hear after the debacle from the last AD, at the very least we know there is a commitment to play with the big boys.

This does smell like a leak from the Hurley camp to get the most out of UCONN they can and I fully expect him to go there.

This shows me more than Pitt succumbing to the cost of doing business. There are other good options for less money. This is a lagit attempt to bettering things quickly. This is a good sign of things to come athletically... not a bad sign.

Last edited:
Good. If Hurley wants to step up, that means he needs to win big here and win fast.

The opposite of a stepping stone is KS who viewed this as a glorified pension.

Always hire the best people possible. Worry about retention later. If someone is successful enough to be wanted, that is a good problem to have.

What is UCONN's offer?

Exactly. Nobody is leaking THAT. Plus they get the last at bat. Everything about this process is driving toward Hurley ending up at UConn.

I'm just so damn curious how much the "Pitt job sucks" premium is going to be in $$ terms.

At this point, we should be worried less about Hurley choosing Pitt (spoiler: he won't), and worry more about the very real possibility that you can't put a price on misery.

In which case Pitt hoops is donezo.

Reactions: USAF Phantom
Pitt offered to pay the guy three times his current salary which would put him in the top 10 - 12 highest paid coaches in the country. If he doesn’t take it, (I don't think he does) Pitt did what it is supposed to do and did what a "major" program should do. Not that they haven't before - how many times did they redo Dixon so he would stay - but it is refreshing to hear after the debacle from the last AD, at the very least we know there is a commitment to play with the big boys.

This does smell like a leak from the Hurley camp to get the most out of UCONN they can and I fully expect him to go there.

Wait just a minute! If Hurley’s camp broke this I thought someone said before that Lyke would then eliminate that person from consideration if there were any leaks.

Right?

This shows me more than the Pitt succumbing to the cost of doing business. There are other good options for less money. This is a lagit attempt to bettering things quickly. This is a good sign of things to come athletically... not a bad sign.
I'm rooting for U Conn to win this battle as I really don't like Hurley for the Pitt job.

This shows me more than the Pitt succumbing to the cost of doing business. There are other good options for less money. This is a lagit attempt to bettering things quickly. This is a good sign of things to come athletically... not a bad sign.

Yes....there are better option for less scratch. No argument here....

But outside of Hurley and Miller....no name on Pitt's radar will sell tickets for next year. And given the sea of blue seats....selling tickets is a must....

Which takes me back to my original argument that PITT danced with the devil years ago when the built the pete.

They HAVE to overpay. They must sell tickets. It has to be Hurley or Miller.

I would think if Hurley declines that there is already a contract offer ready to go with either Miller or Maata.

Problem with Miller is the buyout. I’m sure that’s why Arizona hasn’t fired him. They are hoping and willing to negotiate for someone to take Miller off their hands.

Arizona then hires Musselman!

One more thing .

Many here will say Jeff long was an effective ad. However....it was Jeff Long that committed PITT suicide by implementing the seating system rather than seat licenses.

Because of this blunder.....there are no tickets sold for next year. With seat licenses.....you MUST buy the tickets to keep your license. Nobody would have showed up this year.....but the tickets would have been sold .

Imagine the flexibility PITT would have today if worrying about selling tickets was not a factor.

Exactly. Nobody is leaking THAT. Plus they get the last at bat. Everything about this process is driving toward Hurley ending up at UConn.

I'm just so damn curious how much the "Pitt job sucks" premium is going to be in $$ terms.

At this point, we should be worried less about Hurley choosing Pitt (spoiler: he won't), and worry more about the very real possibility that you can't put a price on misery.

In which case Pitt hoops is donezo.

I think you're right. Usually, when the offer is leaked and the candidate is taking time to decide, that's not a good thing.

I don't quite buy the "Pitt job sucks thing" but I believe there is a very real risk that it could kill his career in 3 or 4 years if things don't go well. That's something to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT