ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll say it once. Narduzzi is trash

They also extended Narduzzi after a 5-7 season, so I tend to think every individual case was different. Wannstedt's undoing, besides the off the field stuff, was his inability to find a quarterback. Narduzzi appears to be treading dangerously down that path.
Wanny's firing was stupid. You don't fire an 8 win coach at a non blue blood because they can't find a QB.

Dabo is on year 3 without a QB.

And you should hear the hysteria from Alabama fans. They are scared shitless they are going to be stuck with Jalen Milroe for 2 more seasons.

Wanny's firing was stupid. You don't fire an 8 win coach at a non blue blood because they can't find a QB.

And you should hear the hysteria from Alabama fans. They are scared shitless they are going to be stuck with Jalen Milroe for 2 more seasons.

Well I think the Sports Illustrated report was the nail in Wannstedt's coffin. But let's be honest - he sucked as a game day coach.

When you get right down to it, a large percentage of coaches, when examined closely, suck as game day coaches.

No doubt about it. And an even larger percentage are mostly interchangeable guys who either succeed or fail based on circumstances.

Elko went 16-9 at Duke with somebody else's players. Had he stuck around another year, maybe he ends up 21-16 and isn't a hot name. But his former stomping ground opened up, so he's about to land a pretty good job.

Pat Fitzgerald - probably a time he could have landed a Notre Dame-esque job. Now he likely won't coach in the P5 again.

And the list goes on and on. Lots of luck involved. I think there are small percentages of coaches who are legitimately great and legitimately poor. But the vast majority are mostly cut from the same cloth (with some tiering existing among that large cluster).

Well I think the Sports Illustrated report was the nail in Wannstedt's coffin. But let's be honest - he sucked as a game day coach.
Bottom line is you either win at an acceptable level or you don't. No such thing as a perfect coach.

"Clemsoning" was a thing for years. Kirby Smart was a dumbass that choked in big games until suddenly he wasn't.

No doubt about it. And an even larger percentage are mostly interchangeable guys who either succeed or fail based on circumstances.

Elko went 16-9 at Duke with somebody else's players. Had he stuck around another year, maybe he ends up 21-16 and isn't a hot name. But his former stomping ground opened up, so he's about to land a pretty good job.

Pat Fitzgerald - probably a time he could have landed a Notre Dame-esque job. Now he likely won't coach in the P5 again.

And the list goes on and on. Lots of luck involved. I think there are small percentages of coaches who are legitimately great and legitimately poor. But the vast majority are mostly cut from the same cloth (with some tiering existing among that large cluster).
Elko has a great track record as DC. His work at Wake & TAMU speak for itself.

Brian Kelly is probably back in G5 coaching if not for Mike Elko. Kelly better get his defense straightened out at LSU. Winning less than Les isn't going to play for very long. Those fans are crazy. (No offense Moe)

The physicality Duke plays with now compared to 2021 is so noticably different and improved.

Just wondering, name one college coach that you consider to be good, who would stay at Pitt after they won 10 games here? They'd be gone before the bowl game of that year.
Perhaps is US, the fans of Pitt football who are, as you say, the "lucky turd" for having a man of honor, respect and integrity being the Head Coach of the football program.
Quite frankly, getting rid of Narduzzi right now would be foolish.
Staying at pitt because you aren’t coveted elsewhere is not a good thing for Pitt

This “please don’t leave me” mentality is frigging stupid

Reactions: cbpitt2
They also extended Narduzzi after a 5-7 season, so I tend to think every individual case was different. Wannstedt's undoing, besides the off the field stuff, was his inability to find a quarterback. Narduzzi appears to be treading dangerously down that path.
And his own ego that he was bigger than the admin .
He wasn’t

Not constantly, but he jots down notes several times a game.

The only other college coach I can recall caught on camera more frequently taking notes was Jackie Sherrill.
It’s fairly constant - there is literally an assistant next to him who hands it to him .

Ever notice another coach doing that ?
No
Because they have functioning brain cells .
It’s not like he’s using those notes for post game and half time with the press .
He always needs to review the tape

Reactions: FreeportPanther
It’s fairly constant - there is literally an assistant next to him who hands it to him .

Ever notice another coach doing that ?
No
Because they have functioning brain cells .
It’s not like he’s using those notes for post game and half time with the press .
He always needs to review the tape
I just said Jackie Sherrill did it constantly.

He was the first I noticed. I'm sure there are more. I usually don't worry about nonsense like that. Why would that bother you?

First I thought…are you crazy?…then it dawned on me Bama has had “collegiate generational“ talents at QB the past decade or so. Milroe will win them over. Heck of an athlete and arm.

First I thought…are you crazy?…then it dawned on me Bama has had “collegiate generational“ talents at QB the past decade or so. Milroe will win them over. Heck of an athlete and arm.
He's just a shitty QB. Dude can run and throws a nice deep ball though.

Pitt could do a lot worse than PN. It probably couldn't do much better (maybe, but no guarantee for sure). He at least wants to be here and provides stability. My issue with him is that he comes off as such a smug, unlikable guy. He's hard to cheer for. It's tolerable when he's winning the conference but not so much at 3-9.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Just wondering, name one college coach that you consider to be good, who would stay at Pitt after they won 10 games here? They'd be gone before the bowl game of that year.
Perhaps is US, the fans of Pitt football who are, as you say, the "lucky turd" for having a man of honor, respect and integrity being the Head Coach of the football program.
Quite frankly, getting rid of Narduzzi right now would be foolish.
I am not in favor of getting rid of Narduzzi. However, I am in favor of the AD emphasizing discipline must improve. That should be the quickest fix.

College football is not the race to the top it used to be. Coaches are more content than ever to make a lot of money without unreasonable expectations from boosters.

Lance Leipold, Jeff Brohm, Dave Clawson, Matt Campbell, Pat Fitzgerald, Kyle Whittingham, Gary Patterson, Frank Beamer, Mike Gundy... you think these guys don't/haven't had other jobs offers after achieving success at programs equal or lesser than Pitt? Tell me why you think that. Cause I can link plenty of articles with their names mentioned in job searches. Are you just going to claim they're all BS?
I don't know about any of those coaches and what offers they have or have not received to go elsewhere. All I know is, quite a few Pitt football coaches who experienced some success here at Pitt in my lifetime, have left the program to go elsewhere. Also, more then ever right now, college football is a race too the top. That's why a school like Texas A&M will pay the coach they just fired $75 million dollars to leave the program. That's a coach that had a record of 45-25 during his time at the school. So yes, it IS a race to the top.

Staying at pitt because you aren’t coveted elsewhere is not a good thing for Pitt

This “please don’t leave me” mentality is frigging stupid
I have no clue if Narduzzi was coveted elsewhere, really doesn't matter to me. All I know is, in my opinion, he has done a good job at Pitt and represents the program well. Now you don't have to agree with that opinion, but I stand by it and I am doing despite your inferring that I am "frigging stupid". Thanks though for your input though.

Reactions: NCPitt
I have no clue if Narduzzi was coveted elsewhere, really doesn't matter to me. All I know is, in my opinion, he has done a good job at Pitt and represents the program well. Now you don't have to agree with that opinion, but I stand by it and I am doing despite your inferring that I am "frigging stupid". Thanks though for your input though.
Represents the program well by which metrics ?
He runs his mouth like an asshole to the media 6 times a year , minimum .

Represents the program well by which metrics ?
He runs his mouth like an asshole to the media 6 times a year , minimum .
And that presents a problem how?

The only people who take issue are the media - who deserve it - and the haters here.

Bottom line is you either win at an acceptable level or you don't. No such thing as a perfect coach.

"Clemsoning" was a thing for years. Kirby Smart was a dumbass that choked in big games until suddenly he wasn't.
Narduzzi has been at Pitt 9 years and has one legitimately good season.

Funny I don't remember that characterization of Kirby while he was accumulating a 93-15, 56-9 record--and that was with 5 losses in his first year. It took him a minute to beat Bama, that was about it. And there was no shame in that.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
Elko has a great track record as DC. His work at Wake & TAMU speak for itself.

Brian Kelly is probably back in G5 coaching if not for Mike Elko. Kelly better get his defense straightened out at LSU. Winning less than Les isn't going to play for very long. Those fans are crazy. (No offense Moe)

The physicality Duke plays with now compared to 2021 is so noticably different and improved.
Brian Kelly is probably back in G5 coaching if not for Mike Elko

Elko was at ND for one season bro. ONE season.

More like Elko never gets his big job if nor for Kelly hiring him at ND.

Kelly was smart enough to realize he had a guy who wasn't getting it done, so he canned him 4 games into a season (coming off a 10 win season no less) and found a better guy. That's what a good head coach does.

I am not in favor of getting rid of Narduzzi. However, I am in favor of the AD emphasizing discipline must improve. That should be the quickest fix.
Why do so many on this board expect the AD to run the football program?

She has a guy that gets paid 6 x her salary who's supposed to be doing that. If he isn't getting it done, he needs to go.

Reactions: NCPitt
Narduzzi has been at Pitt 9 years and has one legitimately good season.

Funny I don't remember that characterization of Kirby while he was accumulating a 93-15, 56-9 record--and that was with 5 losses in his first year. It took him a minute to beat Bama, that was about it. And there was no shame in that.
Seriously? The characterization of Kirby in the SEC media was brutal before 2021.

Agree that there was no shame in it. Not saying that at all.

Anytime you win 8 games at Pitt, its a pretty dang good season.

Brian Kelly is probably back in G5 coaching if not for Mike Elko

Elko was at ND for one season bro. ONE season.

More like Elko never gets his big job if nor for Kelly hiring him at ND.

Kelly was smart enough to realize he had a guy who wasn't getting it done, so he canned him 4 games into a season (coming off a 10 win season no less) and found a better guy. That's what a good head coach does.
Kelly went 4-8 in 2016.

Is Matt House getting it done at LSU? If Kelly doesn't start winning soon, he's going to find himself back on the hot seat again soon.

Last 3 Head Coaches at LSU have won National Titles. Tiger fans are bat-shit crazy (no offense Moe) and that 3 losses a year thing gets old pretty damn quick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT