ADVERTISEMENT

I am normally a very honest dude

Yep. Ethics have always been a huge thing for me. I didn’t want to win if it meant winning the wrong way. It’s just how I am wired. With Dixon, I was happy with the way we did things. But at the end of the day, we got the virtual death penalty (Barnes/Stallings) anyway.

And what exactly is the right way when the NCAA has shown that it’s nothing more than the lawless wild Wild West. So is it unethical to cheat when everyone does it? Just accept the sport for being the dirty business that it is. No one in the media cared when Bruce Pearl cheated his way to the Final Four. He was praised for being a great coach. It’s the same way with steroids in baseball. When your livelihood is at stake and everyone else does it, are you going to be the only one who doesn’t do it when the powers that be turn the heads? Do you want to be a player who loses your job to a roided up AAA player or are you going to level the playing field and fight?

as @pitt-girl said though, the culture here would have to change. We don’t seem to even have a network, while others are well established.

It seems that the "culture" of collegiate sports is going in one direction while the "culture" of Pitt sports is in the opposite direction, at least until recently. I've always been for strong ethics and doing things the right way. That's what I liked when Dixon was here. But as the landscape of college basketball continued to devolve into the garbage dump it is now, look where it has left Pitt. I'd rather see Pitt drop major college sports like football and basketball if it means having to be in bed with a bunch of dirty low-lifes and trying to compete with that. Look at schools like PSU who have coaches engaging in the most disgusting things we can imagine, but all they get is a little slap on the wrist while the NCAA looks the other way and PSU and their boosters believe they didn't do anything wrong.

The ethics of college sports today is beyond warped. This is a lot of the reason I've lost a lot of interest in what is happening with any college teams or with Pitt, for that matter. I will always be a Pitt fan; over 50 years of being a fan does that to you. Now we'll see if college sports can be fixed or if it continues on the path of schools like PSU, O$U, LSU, UNC, and many others.

I remember all the talk about Sean Miller and what he was accused of doing in Arizona and how crooked he is and the big punishment is coming and nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

So that has shown me the NCAA isn't doing crap about all these cheating allegations(which the evidence is overwhelming).

Because of this, Pitt needs to get in the game. It's time. Or we will end up with players from the portal that choose us over Arkansas State or St. Leo.

Pitt is one of the oldest schools in its "class." The endowment is the result of their head start more than anything.

You'd be wrong again. The endowment is a result of an excellent job done by Posvar, that was parlayed masterfully by Nordenberg into what it is today.

There’s just no way under current conditions a school like Pitt can attract the athletes needed in both Fb and Bb to compete for conference championships let alone national championships . People keep thinking I make excuses for JC , but the reality is that in college bb accumulating talent is the way you win and Pitts program by itself just isn’t enough to attract them . Play by the rules no booster group stress education ...no chance .

Pitt will never attract a coach of such national prominence that elite players will flock to play here and until they can put a winning program on the court what great players will sign with Pitt ?

Jarrod West is a perfect example of what JC is up against , once Louisville got involved game over for Pitt .

IMO Pitts best bet and only way to succeed is to stay with JC and hope he develops some relationships that will overcome Pitts disadvantages and better players want to come and play for him . The “ next coach “ will have the same issues in attracting players .

Until the chancellor and his cohorts decide that winning is important nothing will change . Pitt needs a new Golden Panther organization to compete not a new coach !

If Capel can't recruit, he's useless. If Pitt is holding him back in recruiting, then he isn't the type of coach Pitt needs. They need to look for a more disciplined system oriented coach in the mold of Bennett or Young.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
If Capel can't recruit, he's useless. If Pitt is holding him back in recruiting, then he isn't the type of coach Pitt needs. They need to look for a more disciplined system oriented coach in the mold of Bennett or Young.
The last three coaches have had trouble recruiting since Pitt joined the ACC .

No one played a more “ disciplined system......” than JD . JD had nothing except Cam and Luther behind his senior class . The roof was going to fall in on him if he stayed .

Hopefully JC has learned how to recruit the type of kid who will be thrilled to play at Pitt because the end kids just have better offers .

I'm normally a very dishonest SOB. But I don't want Pitt to be some outlaw program. Just cut the same corners as a majority of programs do. Which they may or may not do already. I have no idea.

Yes but then on that note, Pitt's endowment is incredible considering the size of the school for a non Ivy. So some people have made some significant donations in the name of research and academics. Just......it really is an egghead school stuck in a pro sports town, which holds back athletic donations.

Nailed it!

I remember all the talk about Sean Miller and what he was accused of doing in Arizona and how crooked he is and the big punishment is coming and nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

So that has shown me the NCAA isn't doing crap about all these cheating allegations(which the evidence is overwhelming).

Do you actually know where the NCAA's case against Arizona stands?

So then the answer is, obviously, no.

Which certainly isn't surprising.
The real question should be how long has Arizona been doing this and getting away with it ? I doubt that Miller came into a Lilly white program and convinced everyone there that the way to go in recruiting is to go to the dark side .

Thinking that administrators are clueless to what’s going on is being naive . There’s a tremendous amount of cash generated from winning programs .

There is a middle ground .

Yep. Ethics have always been a huge thing for me. I didn’t want to win if it meant winning the wrong way. It’s just how I am wired. With Dixon, I was happy with the way we did things. But at the end of the day, we got the virtual death penalty (Barnes/Stallings) anyway.

And what exactly is the right way when the NCAA has shown that it’s nothing more than the lawless wild Wild West. So is it unethical to cheat when everyone does it? Just accept the sport for being the dirty business that it is. No one in the media cared when Bruce Pearl cheated his way to the Final Four. He was praised for being a great coach. It’s the same way with steroids in baseball. When your livelihood is at stake and everyone else does it, are you going to be the only one who doesn’t do it when the powers that be turn the heads? Do you want to be a player who loses your job to a roided up AAA player or are you going to level the playing field and fight?

as @pitt-girl said though, the culture here would have to change. We don’t seem to even have a network, while others are well established.
I think it was unethical to abstain from steroids. One had a duty to their teammates and employer to do them.

It seems that the "culture" of collegiate sports is going in one direction while the "culture" of Pitt sports is in the opposite direction, at least until recently. I've always been for strong ethics and doing things the right way. That's what I liked when Dixon was here. But as the landscape of college basketball continued to devolve into the garbage dump it is now, look where it has left Pitt. I'd rather see Pitt drop major college sports like football and basketball if it means having to be in bed with a bunch of dirty low-lifes and trying to compete with that. Look at schools like PSU who have coaches engaging in the most disgusting things we can imagine, but all they get is a little slap on the wrist while the NCAA looks the other way and PSU and their boosters believe they didn't do anything wrong.

The ethics of college sports today is beyond warped. This is a lot of the reason I've lost a lot of interest in what is happening with any college teams or with Pitt, for that matter. I will always be a Pitt fan; over 50 years of being a fan does that to you. Now we'll see if college sports can be fixed or if it continues on the path of schools like PSU, O$U, LSU, UNC, gand many others.
My thing is either GO ALL IN corrupt, the hell with ethics, JUST WIN BABY, by any means necessary. Or drop to a lower level FCS or even D2, I'd still be just as big a fan personally. I'd rather get in the FCS tournament than another Detroit Bowl. It's not really exciting to me being P5 for the money and losing. But knowing Pitt's admin, they'd probably suck in D2 too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT