Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

Some notes:

Current payrolls:

Top 10 teams: $10 million
Next 20: $5 million-$10 million
Bottom schools in P4 and top G5: $3 million-$5 million

80% of NIL money is the pay for play collectives. 20% is real NIL. I thought it would be 90/10 or 95/5. Says players arent even doing anything anymore for the collective. Maybe they show up for a dinner.

Coaches absolutely using it as a recruiting tool. They promise a dollar figure then go to the boosters to tell them what they need to pay. Sometimes these deals dont get honored.

Thinks college football will break away from the NCAA within 5 years. Teams will be owned by the schools and private equity. Makes a good point that there is more money to be made in doing this because once you can start paying players legally, there will be more parity and single-digit spreads. Says college football has too many blowouts. Likes the Chip Kelly NFL-like model. Why does UCLA volleyball have to play Rutgers instead of Pepperdine? Says the top college games have fewer viewers than worst NFL games because of lack or parity/blowouts. Not sure I agree with breaking away but if college football set up a 60 team pro league where you can profit from gambling, fantasy football, I'd have to think OSU and Alabama would make more than they are making now. The issue is whether they would be ok if Pitt and Georgia Tech are also making that amount.

For fun, how bout 8 8 team divisions. Play 7 division games and 5 inter-division

Northeast
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
Penn State
WVU
UVa
VT
UConn or Temple

Midwest
Ohio St
Cincy
Mich
Mich St
Purdue
IU
Nd
NW

Other midwest
Wis
Min
Ill
Iowa
Iowa St
Neb
Kansas
KSt

Carolinas
UNC
NC St
Duke
Clemson
South Carolina
Kentucky
Lou
Ten

Wake and Vandy not invited

 SE
Miami
UCF
FSU
UF
Georgia
GT
Alabama
Auburn

Gulf
Ole Miss
Miss St
LSU
A&M
Ark
Texas
OU
OK St

SW
TT
SMU
TCU
Baylor
Arizona
Arizona St
Colorado

Pacific
Wash
Ore
Cal
Stan
USC
UCLA
Utah
BYU

The big boys need the little ones. It’s the backbone of capitalism and what keeps things moving. The little guys may not be equal, but have enough to get by. Part of me wonders though if Musk is so interested in mars so that he can build an escape colony for the ultra wealthy when SHTF.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT