ADVERTISEMENT

I am surprised PITT isn't hitting the transfer portal more

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
Given the log jam that the "covid year" created in college football, there is an unprecedented amount of players (particularly grad students) who could come in with 2 years of eligibility. Why isn't PITT grabbing an o lineman who is "mature" or a experienced defensive back? Seems like we were all about grabbing players from other programs the past few years but we are dropping that strategy when there is more talent to get?

our recent success at OL grad transfers isnt great and i think we can piece together 7 or 8 capable OL this fall. But, i think we need go absolutely find one or two OL grad transfers in next year's portal. we are going to be rail thin at depth and quality by this time next year.

We were carrying over 85 scholarships during some of this offseason. Recent departures (and adding a 2021 TE) put us one under, which is ideal for fall camp as you want one or two scholarships open to give to walk-ons that earn it.

We added a grad transfer OL who will be our starting LG, and we still have a transfer WR coming in for fall, so we didn't completely ignore the portal this year.

I think you'll see a guy or two drop before camp is over. Guys get a look at the depth chart and decide to drop down a level or two.

Outside of blue bloods swapping a star player or two, where are all of these gems? You might get a serviceable player at a position of need occasionally but that's due to other problems with the team. TE and OL have been good examples for Pitt in recent years.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I wouldn't be opposed to adding another lineman. But we also have damn-near 100 scholarship players right now with that extra covid year having been granted, so we shouldn't theoretically be starving for depth anywhere.

We were carrying over 85 scholarships during some of this offseason. Recent departures (and adding a 2021 TE) put us one under, which is ideal for fall camp as you want one or two scholarships open to give to walk-ons that earn it.

We added a grad transfer OL who will be our starting LG, and we still have a transfer WR coming in for fall, so we didn't completely ignore the portal this year.
+ Devonshire

The coaches may very well he trying to target certain players in the portal, in fact I’d bet they are. Transfer pursuit doesn’t often make it into the recruiting news circles before the commit actually happens.

Reactions: jivecat
IMHO, the transfer portal is going to put more talent on the fields of the mid majors and D1AA (fcs). The landscape of college football is changing rapidly.

I really hope he's there for depth. Zubovic and/or Goncalves need to step up.
I hope they step up too, but I'm not going to discount Minor until we get to see him play. Was highly regarding coming out of HS and has started a fair number of games when not injured. If he can stay healthy, he might be a decent transfer pickup.

Here is a great answer to the OP's question. Good article by 247 that lays out the numbers. Easy answer, there just aren't many kids that can even stay in FBS once they enter the portal.

The perils of the transfer portal: Purgatory is a very real thing

Yep.
Most kids in the portal aren’t that good. And at some positions like OL they reallyyyyyyy aren’t good.

Then you have to remember that you don’t get back that initial counter. It’s a hard 25. You can count them forward or backward, but either way, the class has to add up to 25.

There are a lot of position groups, particularly on offense, that need an influx of talent. And not just short term.

Transfers are nice if you’re landing a bunch of 4* studs at RB so maybe taking one less at the expense of bringing in an experienced OL is fine.
But this staff doesn’t have a high hit rate at any position on the offensive side of the ball. So if you’re going to take the shotgun approach to recruiting, you are going to need a lot of numbers to work with. So you need those counters.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
They should use the NFL/Steelers card and get the LSU OL in as a transfer.

They should use the NFL/Steelers card and get the LSU OL in as a transfer.
Rosenthal had a turbulent three years in Baton Rouge as off-the-field issues led to multiple suspensions throughout his time. He just had another violation of team rules, one that likely would've cost him a significant portion of the 2021 season, that ultimately led him to enter his name into the transfer portal.

Rosenthal had a turbulent three years in Baton Rouge as off-the-field issues led to multiple suspensions throughout his time. He just had another violation of team rules, one that likely would've cost him a significant portion of the 2021 season, that ultimately led him to enter his name into the transfer portal.

Change of scenery and practicing next to an NFL team could be his ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT