ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't believe we can win now."

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up this fact. He was notorious for taking plays off. I as never a fan of his because he would make a play and then disappear.
And we all know who else follows this playbook… he just entered the portal as well,
I think he would be an excellent 3rd down pass rusher. He does not hold the edge well on running plays

So how long must one stay in a job to be a good teammate/employee after getting a raise? If someone offered you a major raise at a more successful company you would turn it down because in December you negotiated a raise? People never judge coaches or employees for leaving for a job that provides them more money or better work environment, so why do people think it wrong for an athlete to do the same thing?
People judge coaches for leaving all the time. Saban and Petrino were pilloried for abandoning their NFL teams so soon after signing. We still make fun of Todd Graham for being a job-hopping opportunist and he hasn't coached here in what, almost 15 years?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
We should have booted him from the team like we did with Dior Johnson. What he did to his girlfriend was worse.
LOL--with Dior a bunch of posters were blaming the uptight Pitt admin for running off a talented guy who committed a minor transgression.....if he committed one at all. With Hayes, who left on his own, he's a woman-beating bum and a disgrace to the human race.

Never mind the fact that Lair idol Narduzzi himself was so bothered by Hayes' conduct he gave him a one game suspension.

Hayes was hit with team-imposed discipline following his arrest. His punishment included a one-game suspension and extra workouts with a strength and conditioning coach, according to Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi. He added that the program might have been premature.

"You’re always innocent until you’re proven guilty but we kind of made him guilty until he’s proven innocent," Narduzzi said.

The Lair is nothing if not predictable.

Credit to him for being honest though. Its the lowest talent level since Majors 2. It would take a lot of things to go right just to get to 6-6 with a spot in the coveted Fenway Bowl. Narduzzi basically Stallings'd the program and he has to rebuild it from scratch.
2024 may well end up as the low point of the Dooz tenure--and last year would be hard to top.

2024 may well end up as the low point of the Dooz tenure--and last year would be hard to top.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much cooked with Narduzzi at the helm. Not saying it's his fault; he was doing well under the old system. But it's going to take a change and a different type of coach to invigorate the collective. We weren't going to be that good to begin with, and we lost five starters to the portal. Since we're not going to be that good next season either, we'll lose at least five more. Once you're in the spin cycle, you're Justin Fuente.

Only thing that could pull us out - at least temporarily - would be some type of NIL commitment that we saw with Missouri, etc. And I don't see that happening if it hasn't by now. We'll see. Maybe someone gets fed up after 4-8 and does it, but I'm not counting on it.

Then again, it may well be the beginning of an upward trend.
Let’s hope so. IMO, nobody should expect to win more than a couple games this year in season 1 of a complete overhaul of the offense. It’s not gonna be pretty.

Let’s hope so. IMO, nobody should expect to win more than a couple games this year in season 1 of a complete overhaul of the offense. It’s not gonna be pretty.
I hear ya but truthfully can it be much worse than last year? Seems like theres only one way to go but up. Question is how much better in year one.

I am predicting 5-7 but its possible we go 2-10, just beating Kent and YSU. I dont see how we can score any points. The new offense takes a year to learn and we have an average at best QB and no playmakers.

I am predicting 5-7 but its possible we go 2-10, just beating Kent and YSU. I dont see how we can score any points. The new offense takes a year to learn and we have an average at best QB and no playmakers.

James Folston, Rori Blair, and Shane Roy might all start on the d line. It's gonna be ugly. Linebackers and safeties are fine, but the corners might also be an adventure. Bad D line and bad CB play in a Narduzzi defense = forget about it. I'm sure SteelCurtain55 will be in soon to tell me I'm wrong and it's actually the long snapper who determines how well the defense plays.

And yeah - the offense is going to be worse. The quarterbacks suck. They were making fun of the Hayes situation on a national podcast the other day, saying he saw what he was going up against in practice and wanted to get the hell out. The receivers suck; the o-line will probably be average at best. We're a mess right now, and I'd actually be happy if we did beat Kent State and YSU, because winning both is not a given.

The good thing is the ACC is so bad that by the end of the season teams are starting converted position players at QB (see Wake and Syracuse last season... although they both beat us). Narduzzi knows this program is basically doomed. I think he does two more years of this and then just hangs it up.

If this were the pre-portal days I'd say we have some nice future pieces. But once you become a feeder, it's hard to dig your way back out of that.

LOL--with Dior a bunch of posters were blaming the uptight Pitt admin for running off a talented guy who committed a minor transgression.....if he committed one at all. With Hayes, who left on his own, he's a woman-beating bum and a disgrace to the human race.

"You’re always innocent until you’re proven guilty but we kind of made him guilty until he’s proven innocent," Narduzzi said.

The Lair is nothing if not predictable.

No different than any other fanbase. And I applaud Narduzzi for not running off Hayes. If you want to win, these are the types of things you have to do (paterno would have had them cleaning the stadium back in his day for similar offenses). Can't field a team of choir boys.

James Folston, Rori Blair, and Shane Roy might all start on the d line. It's gonna be ugly. Linebackers and safeties are fine, but the corners might also be an adventure. Bad D line and bad CB play in a Narduzzi defense = forget about it. I'm sure SteelCurtain55 will be in soon to tell me I'm wrong and it's actually the long snapper who determines how well the defense plays.

And yeah - the offense is going to be worse. The quarterbacks suck. They were making fun of the Hayes situation on a national podcast the other day, saying he saw what he was going up against in practice and wanted to get the hell out. The receivers suck; the o-line will probably be average at best. We're a mess right now, and I'd actually be happy if we did beat Kent State and YSU, because winning both is not a given.

The good thing is the ACC is so bad that by the end of the season teams are starting converted position players at QB (see Wake and Syracuse last season... although they both beat us). Narduzzi knows this program is basically doomed. I think he does two more years of this and then just hangs it up.

If this were the pre-portal days I'd say we have some nice future pieces. But once you become a feeder, it's hard to dig your way back out of that.
Bro - you need to take a breather and enjoy some fresh air this morning. Relax.. No one is coming into "reinvigorate" the collective lol..

Bro - you need to take a breather and enjoy some fresh air this morning. Relax.. No one is coming into "reinvigorate" the collective lol..

Literally happens all the time. New coach = selling hope = short-term uptick in donations. Happened at Colorado; happened at Syracuse; happens all over. You'll say those programs/coaches still suck, but it's about comparing them against where they were, and they've both generated at least a modicum of excitement.

Literally happens all the time. New coach = selling hope = short-term uptick in donations. Happened at Colorado; happened at Syracuse; happens all over. You'll say those programs/coaches still suck, but it's about comparing them against where they were, and they've both generated at least a modicum of excitement.

Right. With a new coach, you do see some uptick. How much, I dont know. But Pitt needs to hire some young guy who is a fundraiser more than anything. You need your HC to be shaking down the big wigs. Play golf, go to dinner with them. That's what its all about. Heck, its probably time better spent personally calling us jabronis for an extra $500 than other things a HC normally does. But the game has entirely changed. Its a fully professional sport and Pitt has to figure out a way to field a competitive team. Maybe we just pay like 10 players SEC money and then the rest MAC money, I dont know. But they gotta figure it out.

Right. With a new coach, you do see some uptick. How much, I dont know. But Pitt needs to hire some young guy who is a fundraiser more than anything. You need your HC to be shaking down the big wigs. Play golf, go to dinner with them. That's what its all about. Heck, its probably time better spent personally calling us jabronis for an extra $500 than other things a HC normally does. But the game has entirely changed. Its a fully professional sport and Pitt has to figure out a way to field a competitive team. Maybe we just pay like 10 players SEC money and then the rest MAC money, I dont know. But they gotta figure it out.

It would be too difficult to do in football, but I've thought about the idea of Pitt basketball going cheap for two years and then going all in like every third year. Probably not realistic, though, because there would just be too much fan complacency in the down seasons. And if one of the "money seasons" didn't work out, then you're already looking at a five-year lull.

They definitely need to think outside the box, though.

Bud Elliot makes this point a lot.

Sometimes ADs have to fire a stalled out coach, even if they don’t necessarily think the next one can do much better, because you have to sell the boosters on the future.

So it doesn’t matter if Dino Babers performed about at the level that a good coach can reasonably expect to perform at Syracuse. He was tapped out in terms of what he could do. And so the money was going to start to tap out as well. So he’s fired. In comes a hot shot new coach with which you can sell the future vision. And in comes an uptick in money.

That’s one of the ways in which Saban revolutionized the game when he got to LSU.

He optimized how you spend the money.
But he was also a resource hound the likes of which the game had never seen. That was one of the biggest parts of the “CEO” model he instituted. You have to constantly push for more money. Get more money. And then push for more after you get it.

It’s one reason commonly cited as to why Campbell never left Iowa State during his sought after window. And why Chip Kelly hates college football and left a HC position to become an OC. They hate the Saban model that bigger programs now require.

Bud Elliot makes this point a lot.

Sometimes ADs have to fire a stalled out coach, even if they don’t necessarily think the next one can do much better, because you have to sell the boosters on the future.

So it doesn’t matter if Dino Babers performed about at the level that a good coach can reasonably expect to perform at Syracuse. He was tapped out in terms of what he could do. And so the money was going to start to tap out as well. So he’s fired. In comes a hot shot new coach with which you can sell the future vision. And in comes an uptick in money.

Completely agree. This isn't some pie in the sky concept I'm making up; it's been going on this way for a long time. Programs stagnate, and then they eventually hire a new guy to galvanize donations, recruiting, attendance, and general morale of the fans/etc., because there is hope in the unknown.

Same reason many coaches' highest-rated recruiting classes are their first full ones.

That’s one of the ways in which Saban revolutionized the game when he got to LSU.

He optimized how you spend the money.
But he was also a resource hound the likes of which the game had never seen. That was one of the biggest parts of the “CEO” model he instituted. You have to constantly push for more money. Get more money. And then push for more after you get it.

It’s one reason commonly cited as to why Campbell never left Iowa State during his sought after window. And why Chip Kelly hates college football and left a HC position to become an OC. They hate the Saban model that bigger programs now require.

One of the first things Dan Hurley did it in his national championship press conference was thank the people who allowed them to put that team together. It was always tough to win without proper funding, but it's trending toward impossible now. There really isn't any more program building. Unlimited free transfers are about to become permanent, so that's that.

I fully expect to win more than 2 games. IMO, anyone that doesn't is a born pessimist.

Well, as the late, great Chuck Daly was fond of saying, "a pessimist is an optimist with experience."
Chuck wasn't too bright. A pessimist, simply put, has a negative view regardless of the reality.

Anybody who has played organized team sports....would you want this kind of guy on your team......soft and weak....a quitter and a loser?

I bet you don;t get invited to many parties.......

Right. With a new coach, you do see some uptick. How much, I dont know. But Pitt needs to hire some young guy who is a fundraiser more than anything. You need your HC to be shaking down the big wigs.
Who are the big wigs that don't donate significantly right now? Do any of them see PITT football as a worthwhile investment?

I just don't see it making much of impact. If football mattered to these big wig non-donors, we would have kept Addison as an example.

Whoever is leading PITT will remind me of Billy Beane shopping for free agents in Moneyball. To make some kind of impact in this era will require a strategy that hasn't been explored.

Who are the big wigs that don't donate significantly right now? Do any of them see PITT football as a worthwhile investment?

I just don't see it making much of impact. If football mattered to these big wig non-donors, we would have kept Addison as an example.

Whoever is leading PITT will remind me of Billy Beane shopping for free agents in Moneyball. To make some kind of impact in this era will require a strategy that hasn't been explored.

David Tepper for one. BTW, I was down at the ACCT and they had this thing on the video board during a timeout where they showed famous alums of the participating schools. During the Pitt/UNC game, they showed David Tepper and he was very loudly booed by the UNC/Carolina Panther fans. I wasn't even paying attention, didnt know what was going on but I heard this loud booing and looked up and saw it.

So you spend all of this time trolling on the free board of a team that you don't root for, who you also think will stink?

What an existence!
It's a team that I have rooted for my entire life that I know will stink this year, because I have a brain.

As for my "existence", I'll take mine over yours anytime, sight unseen.

Chuck wasn't too bright. A pessimist, simply put, has a negative view regardless of the reality.
Chuck aka Daddy Rich coached two NBA championships, an Olympic gold, took Penn to the Elite 8 and is in the Naismith HOF.

On top of that, he was a really, smart, really funny guy, and used that quote frequently in jest, as I just did.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much cooked with Narduzzi at the helm. Not saying it's his fault; he was doing well under the old system. But it's going to take a change and a different type of coach to invigorate the collective. We weren't going to be that good to begin with, and we lost five starters to the portal. Since we're not going to be that good next season either, we'll lose at least five more. Once you're in the spin cycle, you're Justin Fuente.

Only thing that could pull us out - at least temporarily - would be some type of NIL commitment that we saw with Missouri, etc. And I don't see that happening if it hasn't by now. We'll see. Maybe someone gets fed up after 4-8 and does it, but I'm not counting on it.
The ONLY way youre going to get the results consistently that Pitt fans want in this day and age is to make a splash hire but that is not and never has been the Pitt way. Duzz has at least taken a good step of hiring a young energetic and respected OC. I think he needs to do the same thing on the defensive side of the ball.,

David Tepper for one. BTW, I was down at the ACCT and they had this thing on the video board during a timeout where they showed famous alums of the participating schools. During the Pitt/UNC game, they showed David Tepper and he was very loudly booed by the UNC/Carolina Panther fans. I wasn't even paying attention, didnt know what was going on but I heard this loud booing and looked up and saw it.
He was bood because of how badly hes ****ed up the Panthers and how badly he ****ed over Rock Hill on the practice facility. Has nothing to do with College.

So how long must one stay in a job to be a good teammate/employee after getting a raise? If someone offered you a major raise at a more successful company you would turn it down because in December you negotiated a raise? People never judge coaches or employees for leaving for a job that provides them more money or better work environment, so why do people think it wrong for an athlete to do the same thing?

If you had an employee who came back asking for a third raise in the last 5 months, after you've given him two already, what would you do?

You'd probably look at his production, what he costs, and what you'd replace him with and make the determination if he was worth the money. Or, maybe you'd simply say - I'm done with this bullshit. You aren't worth the headache. Ciao.

He doesn't need to stay, and he can do whatever he wants. Just like people can judge his actions towards a team that stuck by him, developed him, and paid him for his production. Nobody is required to wish him good luck.

If you had an employee who came back asking for a third raise in the last 5 months, after you've given him two already, what would you do?

You'd probably look at his production, what he costs, and what you'd replace him with and make the determination if he was worth the money. Or, maybe you'd simply say - I'm done with this bullshit. You aren't worth the headache. Ciao.

He doesn't need to stay, and he can do whatever he wants. Just like people can judge his actions towards a team that stuck by him, developed him, and paid him for his production. Nobody is required to wish him good luck.
Well said. I dont see him leaving as an indictment on the program as much as its just the nature of CFB today. These kids are now mercenaries for the most part. And quite honestly, I dont blame them. For many of these kids, the NIL money they can make today will be more than they will make the rest of their lives. Why not maximize on your talent/skills while the opportunity is there.

The ONLY way youre going to get the results consistently that Pitt fans want in this day and age is to make a splash hire but that is not and never has been the Pitt way. Duzz has at least taken a good step of hiring a young energetic and respected OC. I think he needs to do the same thing on the defensive side of the ball.,

I don't think it needs to be Deion Sanders level or anything, but maybe just someone similar to what Capel was on the basketball side (people were really excited about him).

I don't think Narduzzi is going anywhere because of his contract, but I do think there's something to be said about a coach sticking around too long. And it's a double whammy, because he's not only stale but he's also not exactly the guy you want to have in place in the NIL snake oil salesman era of college football.

Chuck aka Daddy Rich coached two NBA championships, an Olympic gold, took Penn to the Elite 8 and is in the Naismith HOF.

On top of that, he was a really, smart, really funny guy, and used that quote frequently in jest, as I just did.
I don't look to NBA coaches (or anyone at all, really) to provide deep thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT