ADVERTISEMENT

I honestly feel like I have batterd wife syndrom

Mikefln

Junior
Oct 15, 2015
I will be 39 in a month and have followed Pitt since I was 5 or 6 so at least 35 years I have been following Pitt football. I really want to give up, and free my Saturdays and say the hell with it, they show me no love. Yet I know come this Saturday as soon as my son's Flag Football game is over I will be rushing home to catch the 2nd half of the game. I really need to follow through some how but I just don't know how. I guess I love the torture of it all.

I will be 39 in a month and have followed Pitt since I was 5 or 6 so at least 35 years I have been following Pitt football. I really want to give up, and free my Saturdays and say the hell with it, they show me no love. Yet I know come this Saturday as soon as my son's Flag Football game is over I will be rushing home to catch the 2nd half of the game. I really need to follow through some how but I just don't know how. I guess I love the torture of it all.
Similar to me. I feel your pain.

battered, eh? write a letter to Feinstein, maybe it'll get some play...

but seriously, sorry bout that timespan...I am 53 so I was almost twelve watching Pitt bring home the NC...I was in prime rooting years through the Sherrill years...Is it better to have had and lost than to never have had at all? Uh, yep.

Last edited:

Battered Spouse is a better term....unless you are someone's wife, you won't get much sympathy.
And 30 years from now you can pull this gem out of the hat and claim that someone from Panther-Lair grabbed your butt at a party and "poof" one of us will have to call our attorneys to get into the fray.

Reactions: Mikefln
It's more like being an addict. You want to walk away... you know you need to walk away... and yet... you can't.

At least when I was a teenager they were winning a national championship - and there's youtube videos out there to prove it - so you know they can do it... you know it can be done... so there's always hope. But unless they have another JM2-type regime... I will stick with it.

Reactions: Mikefln
Long ago I was the most fervent Pirates fan imaginable. I knew the players on the big club. But also all the players on the farm clubs. Watched, listened or at least poured over the box scores of the games the next day. Even west coast games I would follow to the end. One year they played 18 innings with the Padres in SD and I watched...i think it went to nearly 4am.

I stayed with them even through the drug trials and the dreadful mid to late 80s.

Ownership changed and after 92 I started to see the light. They were not going to be competitive again unless a fluke year or two.

Today I rarely pay attention to them. It took a while but finally said enough.

As for Pitt football, I got hooked by the teams of Rick Trocano and Hugh Green, seethed at the waste of incredible talent in the 80s, marveled at Curtis Martin, survived the hideous 90s, held my nose at Dinocat, marveled at Fitz, hopes dashed by Wanny, sickened by Haywood and Grahamgate.

Honestly, bored to tears since. These seasons have largely been a waste of time.

Even in the crazy 2016 season, I couldn't really enjoy that amazing O, because the D was so bad. And I could also foresee exactly what would happen (Canada immediately leaving, we go right back to crap).

Now we seem as hopeless and worse, boring as in the late 1990s. So I'm losing interest, like with the Pirates.

I feel the same way. 34, never really seen a truly remarkable season (some great players and great games aside). I think what's bothering me right now with Narduzzi is that we keep losing in the same ways: poor special teams, a pass defense that can't stop anyone, lack of anyone over the middle of the field, etc.. I'm so frustrated because it's like Groundhog's Day over and over and over again with WRs just running wide open. For a supposed defensive guru, Narduzzi seems wedded to schemes and players that just aren't working. But he's refusing to switch it up. It's driving me insane.

Imagine owning a pizzeria and you only serve gluten-free dough. People come in and ask if you have regular dough. You say "no, we only serve gluten-free dough, it's great for the stomach!" People don't buy your pizza and leave. People leave reviews on Yelp about how you need to at least try offering regular dough pizza. But you refuse because YOU love gluten-free dough and you're the boss. Your business performance starts off ok but gets worse and worse over the years as you get the rep of "the guy who only does gluten-free dough." People near your business are begging for different options but you're ignoring them. Eventually you close. You blame everyone else because you couldn't afford the right gluten-free ingredients to compete with Pizza Hut and Domino's.

I feel the same way. 34, never really seen a truly remarkable season (some great players and great games aside). I think what's bothering me right now with Narduzzi is that we keep losing in the same ways: poor special teams, a pass defense that can't stop anyone, lack of anyone over the middle of the field, etc.. I'm so frustrated because it's like Groundhog's Day over and over and over again with WRs just running wide open. For a supposed defensive guru, Narduzzi seems wedded to schemes and players that just aren't working. But he's refusing to switch it up. It's driving me insane.

Imagine owning a pizzeria and you only serve gluten-free dough. People come in and ask if you have regular dough. You say "no, we only serve gluten-free dough, it's great for the stomach!" People don't buy your pizza and leave. People leave reviews on Yelp about how you need to at least try offering regular dough pizza. But you refuse because YOU love gluten-free dough and you're the boss. Your business performance starts off ok but gets worse and worse over the years as you get the rep of "the guy who only does gluten-free dough." People near your business are begging for different options but you're ignoring them. Eventually you close. You blame everyone else because you couldn't afford the right gluten-free ingredients to compete with Pizza Hut and Domino's.
Good analogy! Slightly different, say we're a franchise of a large pizza chain. The bigger chain has other franchises that do serve very tasty pizza (many featuring illegally imported ingredients! ). But our franchise steadfastly refuses, just serves the healthy stuff. So few actual pizza buyers buy our product.

But the big chain likes us to stay open anyway, because somehow, it's still useful for them to have a franchise in our neighborhood. So the chain pays us to stay open, even though nobody likes our product in the neighborhood.

Plus the sports bar next door to us, which only shows soccer and girls volleyball, thus also has no business, thus requires we stay open, because our rent payments that come from the big chain keeps their building operating.

Good analogy! Slightly different, say we're a franchise of a large pizza chain. The bigger chain has other franchises that do serve very tasty pizza (many featuring illegally imported ingredients! ). But our franchise steadfastly refuses, just serves the healthy stuff. So few actual pizza buyers buy our product.

But the big chain likes us to stay open anyway, because somehow, it's still useful for them to have a franchise in our neighborhood. So the chain pays us to stay open, even though nobody likes our product in the neighborhood.

Plus the sports bar next door to us, which only shows soccer and girls volleyball, thus also has no business, thus requires we stay open, because our rent payments that come from the big chain keeps their building operating.
Alright.....Enough Pizza Talk already. I am on a Keto Diet, and you are making Jones for pizza now.

There's DVR, I never watch early Saturday games live. Last week I watched the game between 6-10 pm. Of course I live away from Pittsburgh, so it's easy to not hear the score. That way I do other things during the day... at least you don't miss the more important game, YOUR SON'S, to watch Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT