ADVERTISEMENT

I often lament and outright confusion on the lack of local basketball talent here

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
And as a reminder of this, the Suns are two wins away from the NBA finals. If they make it, Cam Johnson will be the first WPIAL player in 50 years, FIFTY, to play in an NBA final!!!

Again, this has always blew my mind, not that no WPIAL player has played in an NBA final for that long, because I didn't realize it until the article below. Just how? How is that possible. For the past 50 years, Pittsburgh has ranged from the 20th to 30th largest metro area in the US. Granted, it is probably one of the whitest. But we do produce many black football players. (I am just using this because it is an unavoidable demographic in trying to figure out why this would occur, so let's not turn it into anything but that..) But why? Again, we have had some players come through, and you would think by luck of the draw. I guess Maurice Lucas being a Schenley grad wouldn't count. But still that was like 1977. So still 40 years!!

Why? I just don't understand. Lack of grassroots and AAU programs are oft cited, but that doesn't account for the dearth of athletic, 6'8" or taller kids that this region has not produced with any regularity whatsoever.

And as a reminder of this, the Suns are two wins away from the NBA finals. If they make it, Cam Johnson will be the first WPIAL player in 50 years, FIFTY, to play in an NBA final!!!

Again, this has always blew my mind, not that no WPIAL player has played in an NBA final for that long, because I didn't realize it until the article below. Just how? How is that possible. For the past 50 years, Pittsburgh has ranged from the 20th to 30th largest metro area in the US. Granted, it is probably one of the whitest. But we do produce many black football players. (I am just using this because it is an unavoidable demographic in trying to figure out why this would occur, so let's not turn it into anything but that..) But why? Again, we have had some players come through, and you would think by luck of the draw. I guess Maurice Lucas being a Schenley grad wouldn't count. But still that was like 1977. So still 40 years!!

Why? I just don't understand. Lack of grassroots and AAU programs are oft cited, but that doesn't account for the dearth of athletic, 6'8" or taller kids that this region has not produced with any regularity whatsoever.

Just one of the myriad of mysteries in our universe.

• Haha
Reactions: BPKY
in one of my countless pitt sports books, there is a pic of the top 6 or 7 basketball players on one of the Pitt 70's teams and all the players are from the pittsburgh area. the pic is them on one of the lookouts on Mt. Washington. it's a great picture.. i'll try and find it.

might have been 76 or 77, not sure if they had a good team or not, a tad before my time..

Culturally, its very football heavy. Then again, Columbus and Alabama produce NBA players.

Case in point:

- Rodney Gallagher from Laurel Highlands. If he grew up mostly anywhere else, he would be doing the basketball factory HS thing and JUST playing basketball. But he is from Western PA so he is going to play for his God-awful HS football team then go play college football.

I know a younger kid who is probably the best basketball player his age in WPA and definitely D1 but he's also a really good football player and football will eventually win. This is Western PA.

Another kid I saw, wow, an amazing athlete with the body of a linebacker. No idea if he plays football but he will be major D1 if he does. If he was in NC or Philly or NJ, he'd be D1 hoops

Terrell Pryor is another example. Those 2 brothers from Allderdice. The list goes on and on and on.

Gallagher dude should go to IMG and play both sports. That'd be impressive. dont they have an insane football team and two really really stacked hoops teams? Go down there, get the free scholarship (or whatever they call it).

cant imagine competing in hoops around here is gonna help your game in any way, at all.

Gallagher dude should go to IMG and play both sports. That'd be impressive. dont they have an insane football team and two really really stacked hoops teams? Go down there, get the free scholarship (or whatever they call it).

cant imagine competing in hoops around here is gonna help your game in any way, at all.
The last thing Pitt needs is Rodney Gallagher to leave this area…

People have moved out of the city and into the suburbs over the last 20-30 years. Look no further than the Northern Pittsburgh area. Kids are playing sports like hockey and lacrosse in larger numbers. Ozanam and other places like Mellon would always have games, but not anymore.

How does it compare to other cities, basketball teams have 12 man rosters, 50 years is what? 1200 players, and far less because many went multiple times.

Reactions: TreesHero
Culturally, its very football heavy. Then again, Columbus and Alabama produce NBA players.

Case in point:

- Rodney Gallagher from Laurel Highlands. If he grew up mostly anywhere else, he would be doing the basketball factory HS thing and JUST playing basketball. But he is from Western PA so he is going to play for his God-awful HS football team then go play college football.

I know a younger kid who is probably the best basketball player his age in WPA and definitely D1 but he's also a really good football player and football will eventually win. This is Western PA.

Another kid I saw, wow, an amazing athlete with the body of a linebacker. No idea if he plays football but he will be major D1 if he does. If he was in NC or Philly or NJ, he'd be D1 hoops

Terrell Pryor is another example. Those 2 brothers from Allderdice. The list goes on and on and on.
No, it is not as simple as that. 25 years ago??? Robbie Carmody and Ethan Morton would be hot shot 4-5 star QB's like Jurkovec was and they didn't play HS football at all. Guys like Gallagher, mmmmmmmm, maybe a good college player, but likely not a pro. Pryor is another one of those plus athletes at 6'6" but had no jumpshot because he never needed one. Jon Baldwin was another, remember Marquette offered him in hoops.

I am saying, a Danny Fortson comes along like every 30 years here. In Cincy or Cleveland, similar sized cities, it's almost every year.

People have moved out of the city and into the suburbs over the last 20-30 years. Look no further than the Northern Pittsburgh area. Kids are playing sports like hockey and lacrosse in larger numbers. Ozanam and other places like Mellon would always have games, but not anymore.
I am talking WPIAL, Western PA overall. That's "out of the city".

And again, 6'7"-6'8" kids or taller who are athletic are few and far between. Highlands had one 2 years ago, can leap thru the gym and was just a dunking machine. But he had a jump shot that would make Ben Simmons proud. And.....the competition locally is so bad, he just had small school offers and ended up walking on at PSU to play WR.

No, it is not as simple as that. 25 years ago??? Robbie Carmody and Ethan Morton would be hot shot 4-5 star QB's like Jurkovec was and they didn't play HS football at all. Guys like Gallagher, mmmmmmmm, maybe a good college player, but likely not a pro. Pryor is another one of those plus athletes at 6'6" but had no jumpshot because he never needed one. Jon Baldwin was another, remember Marquette offered him in hoops.

I am saying, a Danny Fortson comes along like every 30 years here. In Cincy or Cleveland, similar sized cities, it's almost every year.
Pryor would have played in the NBA. That's not even a debate. He's the best HS basketball talent I've ever seen come out of Western PA.

Pryor would have played in the NBA. That's not even a debate. He's the best HS basketball talent I've ever seen come out of Western PA.
I assume you're around 40 or so? Pryor was very good but I wouldn't put him above Fortson (only ever McDonalds All American from WPIAL), Blair, Pipkins, or even TJ McConnell.

I think more likely he would have been a D league/short contract NBA guy like DJ Kennedy.

I assume you're around 40 or so? Pryor was very good but I wouldn't put him above Fortson (only ever McDonalds All American from WPIAL), Blair, Pipkins, or even TJ McConnell.

I think more likely he would have been a D league/short contract NBA guy like DJ Kennedy.
DJ Kennedy was just a "dude" on his JOTS team. That team was Pryor, Blair, Pope. Pryor was incredible. He would have been in the NBA after 2 years. The guy made the effing NFL at QB despite being a horrific passer. He made the NFL at WR despite never playing that position. Had he picked basketball, he would have been an NBA starter, maybe an All-Star. His handle and athleticim at 6'6 wasnt fair.

Pitt is the overwhelming favorite to land his services. They would be even if it were Haywood and Stallings.
The fact that he wants to play both and doesn't want to leave Fayette County for HS makes me believe that but still hard to believe him passing up blue blood football. He's from WPA

I think it’s pretty simple. It’s about the whitest city of its size. And players (regardless of race) grow up in a football crazy culture. The big sports moments don’t typically center around hoops.

I did think…and maybe this can still be the case…that Pitt basketball could change this. The Penguins did as more people played hockey and there have been a few good local pros. That was probably unheard of 40 years ago.

Pitt’s lack of tourney success and recent downturn has put a bit of damper on that - but If local social events were based on watching Pitt deep in the tournament each year, I think eventually more elite athletes would take that path

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Pryor was light years better coming out of HS. He was a world-class athlete.
First off, don't think you are the supreme arbiter of opinion on things okay? You're not. Pryor was not, hell, he played against AA farm boys. He is not the best, not close to the best and this "world class athlete" well. I can name many more who have had better athletic careers. He was not a better athlete than Darelle Revis. He wasn't a better basketball player than Dejuan Blair. Just because YOU saw him one time doesn't make it so.

I think it’s pretty simple. It’s about the whitest city of its size. And players (regardless of race) grow up in a football crazy culture. The big sports moments don’t typically center around hoops.

I did think…and maybe this can still be the case…that Pitt basketball could change this. The Penguins did as more people played hockey and there have been a few good local pros. That was probably unheard of 40 years ago.

Pitt’s lack of tourney success and recent downturn has put a bit of damper on that - but If local social events were based on watching Pitt deep in the tournament each year, I think eventually more elite athletes would take that path
No, I agree. But sheer numbers and biology would indicate that a 6'8" kid or taller of Top 100 type caliber would surface every 3-4 years, not every 30.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I played against one of the best ever from around here in gradeschool. Matt Carroll.
But his family moved him to around Philly for high school. And he went on to have a solid nba career.

You make a good point about culture. There were hardly any ice rinks in the area when I was kid, and lacrosse was unheard for most of us. Everybody played football, basketball, and baseball. There were a lot of D1 athletes produced in these 3 sports. Now kids dream of playing hockey because of the success of the Pens.

First off, don't think you are the supreme arbiter of opinion on things okay? You're not. Pryor was not, hell, he played against AA farm boys. He is not the best, not close to the best and this "world class athlete" well. I can name many more who have had better athletic careers. He was not a better athlete than Darelle Revis. He wasn't a better basketball player than Dejuan Blair. Just because YOU saw him one time doesn't make it so.
I'm done debating this. I've seen them all and I'm not sure anyone was even in Pryor's category. He was a special special player. You don't even have to take my word for it. He was the highest rated WPIAL/City League player, maybe ever

I’ve seen a few Danny Fortson references, but let’s not forget that he grew up in Altoona and played… what, 1 year in the WPIAL? Having played against him back in junior high I can’t allow him to be fully counted as a Pittsburgh area product!

Speaking of Altoona, during the decade of the 1990s, three Altoona products played in the NBA (Fortson, Doug West and Mike Izzulino). The WPIAL probably didn’t have 3 NBA players in 30 years. Oh and during that same period Altoona also had a 4-year SEC starting quarterback — Steve Tannehill at South Carolina (not that anyone was rooting for that cocky SOB).

Not sure Gallagher is a good person to use in this debate. Doesn’t he project much better as a football player than a hoops player?

I played against one of the best ever from around here in gradeschool. Matt Carroll.
But his family moved him to around Philly for high school. And he went on to have a solid nba career.
What grade school did you play for? I coached against Matt’s team.

Reactions: Drew1208

I’ve seen a few Danny Fortson references, but let’s not forget that he grew up in Altoona and played… what, 1 year in the WPIAL? Having played against him back in junior high I can’t allow him to be fully counted as a Pittsburgh area product!

Speaking of Altoona, during the decade of the 1990s, three Altoona products played in the NBA (Fortson, Doug West and Mike Izzulino). The WPIAL probably didn’t have 3 NBA players in 30 years. Oh and during that same period Altoona also had a 4-year SEC starting quarterback — Steve Tannehill at South Carolina (not that anyone was rooting for that cocky SOB).
Fortson played a few games early in his Jr season before being ruled ineligible. I happened to watch one of those early games his line was maybe 31 points, 15 boards, 5 blocks and not a drop of sweat. All that said, he's as much of a WPIAL product as Gronk.

I'm done debating this. I've seen them all and I'm not sure anyone was even in Pryor's category. He was a special special player. You don't even have to take my word for it. He was the highest rated WPIAL/City League player, maybe ever

Shayne Hale and Dorian Bell were also highly rated LB's out of High School. You dullard. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Shayne Hale and Dorian Bell were also highly rated LB's out of High School. You dullard. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Pryor was the highest rated WPIAL basketball recruit ever (well partly because rankings have only been around a few decades). Big difference from dime a dozen 4-star WPIAL football recruits.

I mean I know some players dont pan out and some guys improve like Cam but we're talking about a world-class athlete (yea, having a 1000 yard season as a WR in the NFL despite NEVER playing the position surely qualifies one as world-class. There literally arent more than 100 so Earthlings who could have done that) who was highly skilled and had unbelievable size as a 6'6 PG. And yea, maybe he doesn't play PG in college or the NBA but the guy was superhuman. Honestly one of the top American athletes of the decade. Unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong sport AND the wrong position in that sport.

Last edited:
SMF is often wrong, but Pryor was the best Football/Basketball athlete I’ve ever seen in this area. He made a good Aliquippa football team look silly in the playoffs. He was the #2 overall prospect in the country for football and #39 in basketball. He could have been the next Megatron in football if he dedicated himself to WR or a good NBA player if he worked solely on it.

SMF is often wrong, but Pryor was the best Football/Basketball athlete I’ve ever seen in this area. He made a good Aliquippa football team look silly in the playoffs. He was the #2 overall prospect in the country for football and #39 in basketball. He could have been the next Megatron in football if he dedicated himself to WR or a good NBA player if he worked solely on it.
It’s probably the apocalypse that you, SMF, and I all agree on a point. I think TP is a special basketball player if he dedicated his life to it

Love the Taneyhill reference, that guy lit it up his freshman year then seemed to regress every year after that. Bo Nix at Auburn is pretty much his doppelgänger.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
It’s probably the apocalypse that you, SMF, and I all agree on a point. I think TP is a special basketball player if he dedicated his life to it

Hell how about Matt Clement?

Was a joke but if I remember correctly he was a possible D1 talent as well.

Maybe best Altoona player in nba was Johnny Moore. Altoona was loaded with talent in the swogger years. Randy Allen and billy moore, Lou Schmidt come to mind

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT