ADVERTISEMENT

Idea to improve the College Football Playoff

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
1. Expand the playoff to eight teams, featuring the five Power 5 conference champions and three at-larges.

2. Change the NY6 to the NY4, preserving the four most prestigious bowls: the Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, and Sugar Bowl. As far as I’m concerned, we can ditch the rest.

3. The eight playoff teams would face each other in the NY4 bowl games with traditional tie-ins, serving as the de-facto playoff quarterfinals. After the four bowls are played, the final CFP rankings would be released as was standard procedure in the pre-CFP era. These would be used to determine the semifinal seeding. For bowl games with at-large opponents, the lower ranked P5 champion would face the highest ranked at-large, and so on. For 2021, the “CFP Quarterfinals” would look like this:

- Cotton Bowl (Big XII champion vs at-large): #7 Baylor vs #4 Cincinnati

- Orange Bowl (ACC champion vs at-large): #12 Pitt vs #3 Georgia

- Rose Bowl (B1G champion vs Pac 12 champion): #2 Michigan vs #11 Utah

- Sugar Bowl (SEC champion vs at-large): #1 Alabama vs #6 Notre Dame

Assuming the four highest seeds win, #1 Alabama would host #4 Cincinnati and #2 Michigan would host #3 Georgia in the playoffs. The two winners play in the National Championship Game. If, say, Pitt upset Georgia, we would become the #4 seed and travel to Tuscaloosa for the semifinal.

Is it weird? Yes; you could theoretically get the #1 and #2 teams in the Rose Bowl. However, college football is supposed be a little weird. This system would at least add value to the bowl games and conference championships while returning some “tradition” to the postseason. It also would’ve included the eight highest-ranked teams in five out of the eight years of the CFP’s existence.

Now, tell me why I’m wrong.

Last edited:
- 8 teams
- 4 CCG winners from Alliance and SEC
- Highest Ranked CCG winner from G6
- 3 at-large
- no bowls
- quarterfinals at higher seed and played 2 weeks after the CCG's (noon ABC, 3:00 ESPN, 6:00 ABC, 9 ESPN)
- semifinals and finals bid out to same city and played on Jan 1 and Jan 8. Fans of the winning teams can stay the week and it cuts down travel for the teams

This year would have been

8 Pitt @ 1 Alabama
7 Utah @ 2 Michigan
6 Baylor @ 3 Georgia
5 ND @ 4 Cincy

Rose: Oregon vs Ohio State
Orange: Wake vs MSU
Sugar: Ole Miss vs OK St
Peach: NC St vs Iowa
Cotton: Oklahoma vs Clemson
Fiesta: BYU vs Houston

Jan 1 Playoffs at 1 and 8:30 at same stadium. Rose Bowl at 5.

Dec 30 and 31 become exclusive Big Bowl days. No other games

Dec 31
noon Cotton
4 Fiesta
8 Orange

Dec 30
4 Peach
8 Sugar

The Citrus and Outback can go head to head noon on Dec 30.

Last edited:
Under the top6-6, one conf champ (p12) would have been left out in the last 9 years 44-45 would have made it.
If they can't live with that then my god just do 5-1-6.
The blue bloods+(70!) get guaranteed access without any rankings.
The G5 is now the g5 and should shut up as the bigger have now been sucked into the P5 plus they still get the 1.
The 6 covers everything else. Champ game upset, ND whatever.
Some paranoid bcs blue bloods are worried about dooms day scenarios that the data show might happen a few times every 50 years.

Also, here’s what the bowl games/playoffs would like had this been implemented since the beginning of the CFP era.

Cotton: #6 Oklahoma vs #4 Notre Dame
Orange: #2 Clemson vs #5 Texas A&M
Rose: #3 Ohio St vs #17 USC
Sugar: #1 Alabama vs #7 Florida

Cotton: #4 Oklahoma vs #5 Georgia
Orange: #3 Clemson vs #7 Baylor
Rose: #2 Ohio St vs #6 Oregon
Sugar: #1 LSU vs #8 Wisconsin

Cotton: #4 Oklahoma vs #3 Notre Dame
Orange: #2 Clemson vs #5 Georgia
Rose: #6 Ohio St vs #9 Washington
Sugar: #1 Alabama vs #8 Michigan

Cotton: #2 Oklahoma vs #6 Wisconsin
Orange: #1 Clemson vs #7 Auburn
Rose: #5 Ohio St vs #8 USC
Sugar: #3 Georgia vs #4 Alabama

Cotton: #7 Oklahoma vs #3 Ohio St
Orange: #2 Clemson vs #6 Michigan
Rose: #5 Penn St vs #4 Washington
Sugar: #1 Alabama vs #8 Wisconsin

Cotton: #4 Oklahoma vs #5 Iowa
Orange: #1 Clemson vs #8 Notre Dame
Rose: #3 Michigan St vs #6 Stanford
Sugar: #2 Alabama vs #7 Ohio St

Cotton: #5 Baylor vs #6 TCU
Orange: #3 FSU vs #7 Miss St
Rose: #2 Oregon vs #4 Ohio St
Sugar: #1 Alabama vs #8 Michigan St

You lost me at using the 4 bowls with their traditional tie ins, while trying to play teams seeded appropriately. Won't work that way.

What if a B1G team is #1 and a PAC12 is #2?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You lost me at using the 4 bowls with their traditional tie ins, while trying to play teams seeded appropriately. Won't work that way.

What if a B1G team is #1 and a PAC12 is #2?
See my original post ;) in all likelihood, teams wouldn’t be seeded appropriately until the actual CFP playoffs.

Any expansion will likely have to wait until 2025. The G5 aren’t going to budge on being relegated to inferior conferences and the Alliance likely won’t budge on automatic qualifiers (which they shouldn’t).

2025 the P5 will create a new 8-team playoff then invite the g5 to join, the g5 and their Senators will bitch and moan and file antitrust lawsuits, the NCAA will hide in a corner and pray they don’t get dismantled even further.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT