ADVERTISEMENT

If I had one wish for Oakland,it would be consolidating all hospitals into

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
one grand skyscraper. If you could model it in the exact same architecture of the Cathedral of Learning ( taller / larger ). Build it with United States Steel, Alcoa Aluminum, PPG paint and glass.

I post this selfishly on the Football board because you know where I'm going with this 25 year plan.

One real problem our World Class hospitals have is a genuine uneasiness of people from counties away travelling to Oakland and just being overwhelmed with feeling like you were just transported into Manhattan when they journey from their small town. Part of the reason the Cathedral of Learning was built so tall is so one could just point to it and people knew where it was. It might be time to think the same way today with our Medical Campus. Our Hospitals can be very intimidating to navigate once one is inside.

Pitt Research is THE greatest asset to our University and reading Crazy Pacos post about the sheer weight of money it generates, it really just makes Football look like a small Hobby of Pitt. That's not a bad thing by the way.

Essentially the hospitals get sucked up and thrown high into the sky. A unique way for every single patient to experience Pittsburgh. It sure would free up some space and make a patient's experience more seamless with every medical need one could possibly want in one building.

If we want to solve the problems Veterans Affairs have, this might be the perfect opportunity to privatize the VA in Oakland. That sure is a whole lot of land from the VA to Fitzgerald Field House. Connecting the T from US Steel plaza, straight up Centre Avenue to the new Medical Center would be an easy sell for the Hill District. In many ways it completes the City. The Hill would now come alive. This could be a great partnership with the Federal Government. It creates jobs, helps Veterans, makes a great hospital even better and gives more reasons for young people to move into a great City and not commute from outside of Allegheny County. Republicans, Democrats and Independents sure would have a lot to agree on.

It sure would free up some space "on campus".

I wish we lived in the world free of nuclear weapons and hatred for people based on their gender, race, ethnicity, and/or religion.

Dr. von Yinzer posted on 2/19/2015...

I wish we lived in the world free of nuclear weapons and hatred for people based on their gender, race, ethnicity, and/or religion.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't!

What a boring world that would be.

You need a little hate to keep things competitive and moving forward. Remember the space race ( US hated USSR & the USSR hated the US) and all the good things that came from space exploration and experimentation! Without the dislike and hate for eachother a lot of that may not have happened!

A little hate goes a long way!

What's better than a " one and done" weapon that no one actually wants to use. Perfect! Keeps everyone in check!

"Strayberry fields forever"

Go Pitt!
This post was edited on 2/19 9:52 AM by goat123

Originally posted by mdpitt:
one grand skyscraper. If you could model it in the exact same architecture of the Cathedral of Learning ( taller / larger ). Build it with United States Steel, Alcoa Aluminum, PPG paint and glass.

I post this selfishly on the Football board because you know where I'm going with this 25 year plan.

One real problem our World Class hospitals have is a genuine uneasiness of people from counties away travelling to Oakland and just being overwhelmed with feeling like you were just transported into Manhattan when they journey from their small town. Part of the reason the Cathedral of Learning was built so tall is so one could just point to it and people knew where it was. It might be time to think the same way today with our Medical Campus. Our Hospitals can be very intimidating to navigate once one is inside.

Pitt Research is THE greatest asset to our University and reading Crazy Pacos post about the sheer weight of money it generates, it really just makes Football look like a small Hobby of Pitt. That's not a bad thing by the way.

Essentially the hospitals get sucked up and thrown high into the sky. A unique way for every single patient to experience Pittsburgh. It sure would free up some space and make a patient's experience more seamless with every medical need one could possibly want in one building.

If we want to solve the problems Veterans Affairs have, this might be the perfect opportunity to privatize the VA in Oakland. That sure is a whole lot of land from the VA to Fitzgerald Field House. Connecting the T from US Steel plaza, straight up Centre Avenue to the new Medical Center would be an easy sell for the Hill District. In many ways it completes the City. The Hill would now come alive. This could be a great partnership with the Federal Government. It creates jobs, helps Veterans, makes a great hospital even better and gives more reasons for young people to move into a great City and not commute from outside of Allegheny County. Republicans, Democrats and Independents sure would have a lot to agree on.

It sure would free up some space "on campus".
My one wish would to buy up South Oakland and tear down the dilapidated housing. UPMC, despite being a non-profit prints money. Maybe they could come up with some type of 20-year plan to buy up all of South Oakland and build a "UPMC Medical Campus" there similar to what the Cleveland Clinic has. Then, Pitt could get the vacated hospitals on Fifth, tear them down and.............you know the rest.

Cleveland Clinic with Case Western sure look like your plan.

Case Western has a lot of similarities to Pitt's Campus with that lake that resembles what Panther Hollow could look like.

A South Oakland Campus like Cleveland Clinic would be tremendous.

Where we live in the Leigh Valley they've relocated the hospitals out of the " cities" to the suburbs where the hospitals have more room and parking isn't a problem. If you have to visit someone its easy and the emergency room areas have lots of room and parking.

At a city council meeting a local police officier told me its also shortened end to end response time since the hospitals are all located on major roadways instead of on crowned " city" streets.

Go Pitt!

Instead of building a new Pitt Stadium along the river near Hazelwood, as some have suggested, it would make better sense to relocate the VA there and build the Stadium on the VA site. Better for Pitt, and easier access for those visiting the VA.

This is all fantasy talk, but what the hell, its a freezing cold February day, and their ain't much else to do but dream.

Originally posted by raleighpanther:
Instead of building a new Pitt Stadium along the river near Hazelwood, as some have suggested, it would make better sense to relocate the VA there and build the Stadium on the VA site. Better for Pitt, and easier access for those visiting the VA.

This is all fantasy talk, but what the hell, its a freezing cold February day, and their ain't much else to do but dream.
Prime real estate where that VA hospital is, Pitt could definitely do some wonderful things with that land.. Think the land along hazelwood is already slated for something, not sure what though... Yeah, as long as we are wishing for an Oakland makeover, let's tear down the miles of eyesore rental properties.. I remember visiting my older brother when I was in high school, he had a place on Atwood then Semple. I drive by those places and I guarantee not one single renovation has been done on those places, not even a paint job, and that was in the early 90's..

Originally posted by Pghfan:
Prime real estate where that VA hospital is, Pitt could definitely do some wonderful things with that land...
FYI, Pitt owned that land, and gave it to the VA when it was attempting to build the medical center.

Also gave Presbyterian Hospital the tract of land it sits on (and the original Children's and Women's hospital).

This was the original plan for the medical center until it became overgrown.
PlanforPittMedCenter.jpg

PrebyUH1944.jpg

This post was edited on 2/19 8:49 PM by CrazyPaco

Paco - you are a true gem. I really appreciate your historical knowledge of the university. We are fortunate to have you on The Lair.

Re: Cleveland Clinic with Case Western sure look like your plan.

Case Western has a lot of similarities to Pitt's Campus with that lake that resembles what Panther Hollow could look like.

Those houses are so run down. I'm guessing most were built in the early 1900s and are around 100 years old or more. I mean they're already bad now. What's going to happen in another 20, 30, 50 years? At what point is a house just too old..........especially when its a rental and not well maintained.

I know that right by Ohio State's campus, there is a property management company that acquired essentially a whole neighborhood (low-income urban housing) and are rehabbing it into high-end apartments. Not sure how that all went down but its interesting that they acquired an entire neighborhood. Public domain?

If you think the Cleveland Clinic is easy to navigate around just talk to someone who has had to do it. I have family in Cleveland who have lived there for their whole lives and do not find it easy. In fact all giant medical facilities are difficult if you are not familiar with them and sometimes even if you are familiar with them.

Originally posted by Sean Miller Fan:

Those houses are so run down. I'm guessing most were built in the early 1900s and are around 100 years old or more. I mean they're already bad now. What's going to happen in another 20, 30, 50 years? At what point is a house just too old..........especially when its a rental and not well maintained.

I know that right by Ohio State's campus, there is a property management company that acquired essentially a whole neighborhood (low-income urban housing) and are rehabbing it into high-end apartments. Not sure how that all went down but its interesting that they acquired an entire neighborhood. Public domain?
Those houses generate a ton of property taxes for the city, and county though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT