ADVERTISEMENT

If I leave Pittsburgh at noon for the PSU game

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Any idea of what time I will be in my seat at Beaver Stadium? PSU fans, like all of us, I am banned from your site but I need your help. Youth sports has struck again and I don't want to have to miss the Pitt/PSU game.

Then you can watch the game at Champs in Altoona because you're missing the 1st quarter considering traffic, parking and 100K + people in and outside the stadium for a game they dont care about

Reactions: ncpittfan
If you leave at 12 for a 3 P.M. game in state college you might be there by 5.
Due to traffic and other idiots on the road I would leave by 8-9.

My guess is you'll be in your seat by 3:30 or shortly thereafter. 2.5 hours to drive to State College, another 20 minutes or so to get parked. Then walk to the stadium, wait to get through gate security, slowly walk with the crowd to get to your seat. 3:45 would be my guess.

Any idea of what time I will be in my seat at Beaver Stadium? PSU fans, like all of us, I am banned from your site but I need your help. Youth sports has struck again and I don't want to have to miss the Pitt/PSU game.
If your flight is not delayed and the uber guy is on the ball at the airport up there you should just make kick off...

Slick Manager of Champions will soon berate you for putting your kids ahead of Pitt sports. My daughter has a game that day too, and it's her 1st season starting for the high school varsity soccer team. But the games at 1:00 and I'll be home on time to see Pitt/Penn State on TV. But how dare you put your kids, or utes above Pitt Sports ! LOL! :)

Reactions: pittdan77
Slick Manager of Champions will soon berate you for putting your kids ahead of Pitt sports. My daughter has a game that day too, and it's her 1st season starting for the high school varsity soccer team. But the games at 1:00 and I'll be home on time to see Pitt/Penn State on TV. But how dare you put your kids, or utes above Pitt Sports ! LOL! :)
yeah, I get it but why does your daughter put her soccer ahead of daddy's game? kind of selfish don't ya think? You would think they would schedule these girls affairs on Tuesday nights or something as to not conflict with real sports.

I used to mock you fools, laugh and ridicule the "I can't go to game cause my kid has a game" crowd. Now I am one. FML.

Depends on what time the train is leaving Philadelphia with your Nitter Doppleganger, Barametric Pressure readings, Wind Speed, and whether or not Ol Man Huckabee is herding his cows across the back road some Nitter advised you to take to save you 7.3 minutes. Will all those factors considered, I guesstimate an "ass in seat" no later than 3:37 or 6 minutes prior to kick-off due to commercials and Ped St's decision to honor the 1947 glee club prior to the game.

Depends on what time the train is leaving Philadelphia with your Nitter Doppleganger, Barametric Pressure readings, Wind Speed, and whether or not Ol Man Huckabee is herding his cows across the back road some Nitter advised you to take to save you 7.3 minutes. Will all those factors considered, I guesstimate an "ass in seat" no later than 3:37 or 6 minutes prior to kick-off due to commercials and Ped St's decision to honor the 1947 glee club prior to the game.
lest we forget that pesky 4 way stop sign where you get off I99. Everyone stops, looks the other way and does nothing.

I seriously doubt you would make it for he start of the game.

Depending exactly where you are starting from, 21/2 to 3 hours on the road, plus another 1/2 hour to get in the stadium. That's best case scenario.

Once you arrive, it will take at least 30 min of a slow crawl to get to your parking space, which will be at least 1/4 mike from the stadium. Figure your walk to the stadium, and then another 20-30 minutes wait to go through security and the gate. Depending on where your seats are located, another 20 minutes to deal with crowd still trickling to their seats.

There's a reason you bought that nice TV.
Enjoy your daughter's game, treat her to lunch afterwards, then watch the Pitt game on TV from your favorite chair with a cold beverage.

Reactions: Swervin27
Construction north of Altoona on I-99. If it rains, you'll have to park at the "mall" and catch a shuttle. If you're late, you'll have to convince the really overweight couples with matching outfits on either side of you to move over far enough so you can sit down on the bleachers. God help you if the "thirty point blowout" isn't happening when you walk in.

My guess is you'll be in your seat by 3:30 or shortly thereafter. 2.5 hours to drive to State College, another 20 minutes or so to get parked. Then walk to the stadium, wait to get through gate security, slowly walk with the crowd to get to your seat. 3:45 would be my guess.
In 1978, after the big expansion, we were in that shithole 25 minutes before kickoff. We got to our seats after the third series of the game. Section NI. The aisles are one-wide. We left after Shuman scored because of an obvious hold that was ignored. In Ligonier in 2 hours.

Even if you have a pre paid pass to park on the Yoder Farm?

Once you arrive, it will take at least 30 min of a slow crawl to get to your parking space, which will be at least 1/4 mike from the stadium. Figure your walk to the stadium, and then another 20-30 minutes wait to go through security and the gate. Depending on where your seats are located, another 20 minutes to deal with crowd still trickling to their seats.

IF SMF leaves his house at noon traveling an average of 58 mph northeast, and a Family Truckster (pictured below) leaves Bugtussle, Centre County traveling 23 km/hour traveling due South on I-99 leaving at 11:00 AM what following results happen?

a) ACC Third Tier Rights are negotiated finally and an ACC Network is born.
b) The EPL takes over for the NFL on all broadcast channels
c) Conference Expansion becomes a lifeform onto its own, splits, releasing an energy so intense it pulls in all of the planets of our solar system to the earth which implodes and becomes a new sun.

rv1.jpg

Father of the year candidate and super fan who never misses a game on TV!

My parents rarely went to any of my games. They were busy people. I never cared.
Me neither! My parents went to a couple games my senior year in high school.

But I don't go because I'm concerned about how my daughter would feel, I go because I PREFER watching her play over going to a Pitt game.

I've been watching Pitt games since the '70s and when my daughter graduates from high school next year, she won't have games anymore, and I'll maybe have another few decades of Pitt games to see.

Last edited:
IF SMF leaves his house at noon traveling an average of 58 mph northeast, and a Family Truckster (pictured below) leaves Bugtussle, Centre County traveling 23 km/hour traveling due South on I-99 leaving at 11:00 AM what following results happen?

a) ACC Third Tier Rights are negotiated finally and an ACC Network is born.
b) The EPL takes over for the NFL on all broadcast channels
c) Conference Expansion becomes a lifeform onto its own, splits, releasing an energy so intense it pulls in all of the planets of our solar system to the earth which implodes and becomes a new sun.

rv1.jpg

Credit where its due, sir

You probably turned out better than the pampered princesses Pitt79 are raising.

It's not a matter of being "pampered", it's choosing the sports event I prefer to see. All those guys on the Pitt team mean NOTHING to me, they are just characters in a TV Show. I still have watched 99% of all Pitt games in the last 10 years, so what if it's on DVR? Even if I had no kids, I'd still only attend 1-2 games per year. It's not like she's the reason I'm not there every week.

My parents rarely went to any of my games. They were busy people. I never cared.
I really, really hate to break this to you after all of this time, but I know your parents and they told me they were not busy at all but thought you kind of sucked at sports and they were embarrassed to watch you alongside the parents of the competent athletes. Sorry, but the truth is sometimes painful. ...

man, I am really ready for some football as I find myself being more and more of a preseason smartass. I will buckled down in two weeks, I promise.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Credit where its due, sir
And I really do think you've got a time problem, SMF. I said after that 78 game I'd never go back there. Pitt Stadium was beginning to fall apart, but was a much better venue. wvu's joint is much better, and the right size for them.
I caught a Pitt BB game at the Carrier Dome, and had the same reaction. Binoculars for a hoops game?? No thanks.

But to be honest SMF, if I had the tickets, I would miss my kid's game. I have missed 4-5 of my kid's games over the years because I had purchased tickets way before her schedule was out. I regret missing the time when she scored 3 goals in a game though.

Gonna be stressed out the whole time. Watch it at a buddy's house or a bar or at home. Relax, no rush, no worry and you'll actually see 200 times more of the action on tv vs. being a mike away in the erector set they call a stadium.

The only fun about goin would be to go with a small group, get up there early and tailgate. If you take that out, what's the point?

On the other hand, we've all read his posts about his incessant drunk driving and old filthy "torch cut logo" sweatpants...if that's what parental abandonment does then we need to all double down on helicoptering! ;)

I haven't driven drunk since the early '90s, and Yes, I have some old PITTSBURGH sweatshirts. So what?

When I was in high school and college, there where hundreds of people driving around drunk simultaneously in my home town, cops would pull them over and tell them to go home.

I haven't driven drunk since the early '90s, and Yes, I have some old PITTSBURGH sweatshirts. So what?

When I was in high school and college, there where hundreds of people driving around drunk simultaneously in my home town, cops would pull them over and tell them to go home.
ah, those boogie nights....

God Bless any of you actually going there for the game. I have no problem with the game itself, it's the insufferable condescention from the "We Are" crowd that gives me pause. Plus I'd rather not put a single dime into the pockets of Happy Valley.

This reminds me of a SMF math problem from 8th grade.... "If SMF leaves Pittsburgh at noon traveling at an average of 68 miles per hour for the first 30 miles and then at an average of 48 miles per hour the next 50 miles and 18 miles an hour for the last 60 miles will he post another post on a potential Pitt uniform combination that jives with a hypothetical on campus stadium seat color scheme?"

always had trouble with that one...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT