ADVERTISEMENT

If the Coastal existed this year...

Oct 25, 2021
6-6 Georgia Tech (5-3 in conference) would be your 2023 division champions. 6-6 Virginia Tech (5-3 in conference) would have finished second.

The top three teams in the ACC were all "Atlantic" teams. For as unlucky as we've gotten over the years, it hasn't been all bad. We got assigned to the Coastal, while Syracuse went to the Atlantic. That's a win. I realize the schedules would have been different with the old format, but I'm just sayin'.

6-6 Georgia Tech (5-3 in conference) would be your 2023 division champions. 6-6 Virginia Tech (5-3 in conference) would have finished second.

The top three teams in the ACC were all "Atlantic" teams. For as unlucky as we've gotten over the years, it hasn't been all bad. We got assigned to the Coastal, while Syracuse went to the Atlantic. That's a win. I realize the schedules would have been different with the old format, but I'm just sayin'.

What's interesting is that basically everyone has rotated playing FSU or Clemson in the ACCCG.

Since we entered the league in 2013, these are the teams who have played FSU or Clem in the championship.

Duke
GT
UNC
VT
Miami
Pitt
Virginia
Notre Dame
Pitt (vs Wake)
UNC
Lou

Every Coastal member with Pitt and UNC going twice plus Lou and ND. The only teams to not play in the ACCG since we entered are Syr, BC, and NC State.

What's interesting is that basically everyone has rotated playing FSU or Clemson in the ACCCG.

Since we entered the league in 2013, these are the teams who have played FSU or Clem in the championship.

Duke
GT
UNC
VT
Miami
Pitt
Virginia
Notre Dame
Pitt (vs Wake)
UNC
Lou

Every Coastal member with Pitt and UNC going twice plus Lou and ND. The only teams to not play in the ACCG since we entered are Syr, BC, and NC State.

NC State has to hate us. Very similar program - possibly even a notch above us. But we got the better draw.

Then again, they had their chance to win at Wake in 2021. I remember watching that shootout and pulling for the Deacs because I thought our d-line could handle their o-line.

NC State has to hate us. Very similar program - possibly even a notch above us. But we got the better draw.

Then again, they had their chance to win at Wake in 2021. I remember watching that shootout and pulling for the Deacs.

Maybe that's why we are like 3-72 vs them in ACC sports

so moving to no division has helped the ACC CFP hopes. A championship game against a 6-6 Ga tech would just add tot he storyline of how week the ACC is. At least playing a 10 win Louisville in the games eliminates that conversation this week.

so moving to no division has helped the ACC CFP hopes. A championship game against a 6-6 Ga tech would just add tot he storyline of how week the ACC is. At least playing a 10 win Louisville in the games eliminates that conversation this week.
yes, good post. a good move for the overall perception of this conference, bad for former coastal members for backdooring their way into the ACC championship game..

And it also lessens the chance of Pitt getting to that game moving forward. I'd rather Pitt get to the game than the ACC have better CFP hopes.

Reactions: cbpitt2

Yeah, the goal was always to create a more enticing conference championship matchup for TV purpo$es. Nobody wants to see Michigan vs Iowa (I know they're abandoning the division model next year also).

One effect could definitely be to bolster a team's CFP resume. It could probably work the other way at some point, too, if the highest ACC team is ranked like 8th, they end up playing a pretty good team in the conference championship (say they're ranked like 13th), and then they lose and get knocked out of the 12-team playoff consideration.

The Coastal teams were also 4-8 against OOC P5 while the former Atlantic were 6-1.

yeah, who wants to watch the two best teams in a conference compete for the conference championship when we can watch a 7-6 Pitt team throw for 12 yards against clemson..
Did you forget that Pitt actually finished second in the ACC that year even if you remove the divisions? Pitt Cuse were both 6-2 but Pitt beat them head to head...

Reactions: Pitt79
Did you forget that Pitt actually finished second in the ACC that year even if you remove the divisions? Pitt Cuse were both 6-2 but Pitt beat them head to head...
pitt, who ended up 7-7 that year, was the 2nd best team in the ACC? Yikes, i did not know that.

i kind of get why the ACC isnt well respected now..

Reactions: cbpitt2
yeah, who wants to watch the two best teams in a conference compete for the conference championship when we can watch a 7-6 Pitt team throw for 12 yards against clemson..
8 yards to be accurate. Incredulous announcers who kept voicing their belief at our incessant futile attempts to run the ball against one of the very best defensive fronts in college football. National TV embarrassment.

We have posters who still crow about Pitt's Coastal "championship". To me that ACC champ game was a low moment as a Pitt fan.

8 yards to be accurate. Incredulous announcers who kept voicing their belief at our incessant futile attempts to run the ball against one of the very best defensive fronts in college football. National TV embarrassment.

We have posters who still crow about Pitt's Coastal "championship". To me that ACC champ game was a low moment as a Pitt fan.
yeah, that was tough to celebrate for sure. especially watching us just get embarrassed on national TV and making the acc a punchline..

just a classic example of why you dont go to divisions in Major college football.. best case if there ever was one..

yeah, that was tough to celebrate for sure. especially watching us just get embarrassed on national TV and making the acc a punchline..

just a classic example of why you dont go to divisions in Major college football.. best case if there ever was one..

The sequel is taking place Saturday. I was thinking: Iowa should consider squib punting on every first down. Hope it hits a defender and you can recover it or something.

I'd rather see Pitt over anybody and everybody, if Pitt was playing Rhode Island during the CFP I'd watch Pitt. and if this new system gives us tOSU vs Michigan and Bama vs. Georgia 2 weeks in a row every year, I can't see how that's better, all the changes they make are about consolidating the power of the blue blood teams and marginalizing everyone else more and more.

The sequel is taking place Saturday. I was thinking: Iowa should consider squib punting on every first down. Hope it hits a defender and you can recover it or something.
Iowa is very tough defensively and Michigan can be very conservative offensively especially in games where they aren't worried about having to score a ton. The bad news for Iowa is Michigan is even stronger defensively. I honestly don't see how they score on Mich absent some turnovers.

2018 Clemson was a stronger team than 2023 Michigan, and 2018 Pitt was a weaker team than 2023 Iowa. This one could be tighter than it should be.

interesting, but you also have to consider if the Coastal was in place the records would be slightly different as the schedule would have had more head to head coastal matchup.

I'd rather see Pitt over anybody and everybody, if Pitt was playing Rhode Island during the CFP I'd watch Pitt. and if this new system gives us tOSU vs Michigan and Bama vs. Georgia 2 weeks in a row every year, I can't see how that's better, all the changes they make are about consolidating the power of the blue blood teams and marginalizing everyone else more and more.
Hey if we could turn back time I'd happily go back to the way it was in the 80s-90s when the conferences were intact, traditional rivalries were thriving, there were less than 20 bowl games, most of them mattered a lot, guys played 4 years for the schools they committed to (not 7 years at 4 schools) and the AP and UPI polls decided the national champ. But unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Money: undefeated since 650 B.C.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
yeah, we know, you've told us this. unfortunately no one else on this planet shares your opinion.

I'd rather watch old people fall asleep and die than watch a 7-6 pitt football team throw for 8 yards in a conference championship game..

Iowa is very tough defensively and Michigan can be very conservative offensively especially in games where they aren't worried about having to score a ton. The bad news for Iowa is Michigan is even stronger defensively. I honestly don't see how they score on Mich absent some turnovers.

2018 Clemson was a stronger team than 2023 Michigan, and 2018 Pitt was a weaker team than 2023 Iowa. This one could be tighter than it should be.

Iowa can do absolutely nothing on offense. I give them a 35% chance to score, and it probably wouldn't be much more than a field goal. It would have to be a turnover or a missed assignment on a run play. It might not look ugly on paper, because Michigan is just going to run it, win, and get the hell out of dodge - especially after what happened to Jordan Travis - but I suspect the result of the game to never be hanging in the balance.

Iowa can do absolutely nothing on offense. I give them a 35% chance to score, and it probably wouldn't be much more than a field goal. It would have to be a turnover or a missed assignment on a run play. It might not look ugly on paper, because Michigan is just going to run it, win, and get the hell out of dodge - especially after what happened to Jordan Travis - but I suspect the result of the game to never be hanging in the balance.

Iowa has a 0% chance of reaching double figures. Have to hope for 5 Michigan turovers and win 6-3

Hey if we could turn back time I'd happily go back to the way it was in the 80s-90s when the conferences were intact, traditional rivalries were thriving, there were less than 20 bowl games, most of them mattered a lot, guys played 4 years for the schools they committed to (not 7 years at 4 schools) and the AP and UPI polls decided the national champ. But unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Money: undefeated since 650 B.C.
Most people talk like you, wanting all the stuff they destroyed. so who are the people they are making money off of? I quit watching the CFP about 7-8 years ago when it got to be the same few teams, over and over and over again, how do people stay excited? Unless of course your team is one of them. The NFL has 32 teams, FBS has 130, yet 7in NFL there's a way bigger chance for variety.

Last edited:
yeah, we know, you've told us this. unfortunately no one else on this planet shares your opinion.

I'd rather watch old people fall asleep and die than watch a 7-6 pitt football team throw for 8 yards in a conference championship game..

You're a Pitt fan and you'd prefer to not see Pitt get the chance?

I like having parity in the sport. Not sure how you create that -- whether divisions, or better NCAA rules, or the NCAA growing a backbone and actually enforcing rules, or what.

I don't know how the 2007 college football season ever happened, but IMO it was the greatest season of college football ever given how many teams were in the conversation as the top teams in the country.

I like having parity in the sport.

I don't know how the 2007 college football season ever happened, but IMO it was the greatest season of college football ever given how many teams were in the conversation as the top teams in the country.

I don't know if parity would be the word to describe this season, but I legitimately think there are 7 or 8 teams that could win it all. It's a shame only 4 will have a chance.

I hate to say it but the EFL promotion system would probably work the best. In the past conferences and rivalries would have precluded that but most of that have been destroyed in the last 20 years

pitt, who ended up 7-7 that year, was the 2nd best team in the ACC? Yikes, i did not know that.

i kind of get why the ACC isnt well respected now..
Yes. Then Clemson demolished both their opponents to win the national title that same year. Think they beat Alabama by 30. So... Guess the SEC was crap that year too...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT