ADVERTISEMENT

If Twitter followings of the new OC are an indication

You got inside info GungašŸ§. Is Heather guiding this ship or is Duzz Still?
I have no info, just use logic. Coordinators don't hire on any level, and HC's aren't wired in any manner that they're going to give up control of who works for them. That includes ADs... which brings me to the next point. I don't think Heather is guiding the ship either. There isn't much she can do but suggest changes. The coach has to have a come to Jesus himself.

I would replace Borbley and Powell. Would probably keep Salem since he at least gets after it on the recruiting trail. Maybe Bates retires? I think Duzz likes Manalac and Sanders. Not sure about Collins.

Doubt there are any staff changes until after signing day.

Reactions: Pittguy93
I have no info, just use logic. Coordinators don't hire on any level, and HC's aren't wired in any manner that they're going to give up control of who works for them. That includes ADs... which brings me to the next point. I don't think Heather is guiding the ship either. There isn't much she can do but suggest changes. The coach has to have a come to Jesus himself.

I would replace Borbley and Powell. Would probably keep Salem since he at least gets after it on the recruiting trail. Maybe Bates retires? I think Duzz likes Manalac and Sanders. Not sure about Collins.

Doubt there are any staff changes until after signing day.
Sounds about right TBH.

I was one of those people, and I can guarantee you that Bell isn't the one making hires.

I would assume OL at least needs to change coaches with a different system.
Here was my rationale. If youā€™re hired as a sales manager, or any manager, you want the ability to bring in your own people. Especially if how your being judged at years end depends on how those people did their jobs. We all agree Cignetti sucked, but really none of his position coaches did him any favors.

, but really none of his position coaches did him any favors.
I don't believe you can be sure of this. Some good assistants may have spoken up and offered better solutions that would work, but in the end a good assistant must leave the room on the same page and do his best to make it work even if the boss is wrong. It does no good to undermine ones piece of the the master plans of the boss no matter how off course the big picture is. They may have done him favors by speaking up , but Cignetti chose his own way...

Reactions: Jakhny
It's crazy that you posted this I was just wondering when we might find out which coaches are staying vs. going. I could see Collins getting a DC position somewhere, but the rest have earned retirement. We need some young hungry coaches that are looking to make a name for themselves. We need recruiting aces. Relationships are the things that keep these NIL poachers at bay.
Relationships are nice, but let's be real here. It's a business. Coaches are making all kinds of bank and most of them will jump in a moments notice at a better opportunity.

Here was my rationale. If youā€™re hired as a sales manager, or any manager, you want the ability to bring in your own people. Especially if how your being judged at years end depends on how those people did their jobs. We all agree Cignetti sucked, but really none of his position coaches did him any favors.
This is the analogy that I think is closer to the situation.

Duzz is the VP of sales. He fires his sales operations director (OC) and hires NH Panther for the position. You coordinate business plans to align with corporate goals, set the go to market strategy, handle forecasting and track results vs. objectives. Nobody reports to you because the regional sales managers (assistant coaches) were all hired and report to the VP. They are responsible for making sure their regions align to your plan and produce acceptable results.

You don't have staff. You can certainly express your opinions and try to influence the VP's decisions, but they were hired by and work for him.

Cignetti sucked because of talent, specifically poor OL and QB play. Pitt didn't have a developed QB on roster and the one he brought in was damaged goods.

Cignetti coached at Pitt 4 years. Pitt won 27 games in 3 of those years, and only 3 this year.

Bell's offense was a colossal failure at USF, but has largely been a success everywhere else.

Talent matters. There aren't a lot of worries about tampering and blue bloods raiding Pitt's roster looking for offensive talent this off-season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them add the WR coach from WCU. He played RB in this offense and has coached RBs before being a WR coach.

Cignetti sucked because of talent, specifically poor OL and QB play. Pitt didn't have a developed QB on roster and the one he brought in was damaged goods.

Cignetti coached at Pitt 4 years. Pitt won 27 games in 3 of those years, and only 3 this year.

Bell's offense was a colossal failure at USF, but has largely been a success everywhere else.

Talent matters. There aren't a lot of worries about tampering and blue bloods raiding Pitt's roster looking for offensive talent this off-season.

The one indisputable fact is that Jurkovic was kept at QB for 5 games. That was Cignettiā€™s doing though Narduzzi bears responsibility for allowing Cignetti to make those decisions (plural because the decision was made separately for each of those 5 games).

The one indisputable fact is that Jurkovic was kept at QB for 5 games. That was Cignettiā€™s doing though Narduzzi bears responsibility for allowing Cignetti to make those decisions (plural because the decision was made separately for each of those 5 games).
Yeah, but I don't have a problem with that. I really don't think you want to throw one of the inexperienced QBs out there for the first time to navigate a huddle at Morgantown or Blacksburg. Not sure it's a good move to start them in a home ACC opener in a game that really isn't winnable unless you can win in a track meet. It would be different if you were throwing them out there behind a OL you could trust and they could rely a little on a running game. But that wasn't the case either.

There are few good options when you suck. And when the offense sucks, the OC is the fall guy.

Cig's ultimate sin was bringing in Jurk in the first place. He's obviously not the same guy Pitt faced in 2020. He needed to find another vet QB in the portal that could half-way play. Screw familiarity with the system.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT