ADVERTISEMENT

If we play UNC close and lose, does it help?

PittPanther44

All Conference
Apr 16, 2005
Conversely, if we get waxed, does it hurt?

Somewhat rhetorical questions. But what if we go toe to toe with a really good team and lose because of a few late bounces?

Are we at the point where it’s all metrics? Or do people with half a brain say “damn, maybe this is a top 25-30 team now”.

Conversely, if we get waxed, does it hurt?

Somewhat rhetorical questions. But what if we go toe to toe with a really good team and lose because of a few late bounces?

Are we at the point where it’s all metrics? Or do people with half a brain say “damn, maybe this is a top 25-30 team now”.
We got pounded by Duke last year in the 4-5 game. This year's metrics are better save for the SOS for the non-conference games. I'm thinking the worst we could do with a loss is a play-in-game @ Dayton

We got pounded by Duke last year in the 4-5 game. This year's metrics are better save for the SOS for the non-conference games. I'm thinking the worst we could do with a loss is a play-in-game @ Dayton

I think it’s a better team too. We really got hurt by losing to a couple teams that decided to be really horrible later.

I forgot about that game. But it could have also fueled the perception of being a First Four team.

Michigan State in trying hard and losing for the 14th time probably helped themselves today.

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
FWIW, Jerry Palm was on 93.7 with Starkey this morning. I’ll give Joe credit, he asked some good questions. Palm said that Pitt was his last team in. Starkey then asked him “does that mean that they have to win tonight to be in?”. Palm answered “yes“. Starkey then asked, “what if say, they lose on a buzzer beater, or in overtime?“. Palm said that they have to win to be in. Starkey then asked if the fact that Pitt has gone 12-3 in their last 15 games, all conference games, matter. Palm said that it doesn’t. Starkey then challenged him, saying that “if that doesn’t matter, “why would a nonconference game against Missouri in November?“. Palm said that they don’t look at “down the stretch” anymore. They used to, but they don’t anymore. To me, if you’re not going to look at that, then, what the hell are you looking at? Why even play a conference schedule?

Reactions: jctrack and Fan101
I think Pitt will get the better calls from the refs, North Carolina is already in and probably a 1 seed, the acc needs more teams in, the more in the more money, I also believe that the refs were notified, they say pitt needed 2 wins and beating NC would give them their second win, over the years I’ve seen stuff like this before or that what it seemed to have been, we will see

FWIW, Jerry Palm was on 93.7 with Starkey this morning. I’ll give Joe credit, he asked some good questions. Palm said that Pitt was his last team in. Starkey then asked him “does that mean that they have to win tonight to be in?”. Palm answered “yes“. Starkey then asked, “what if say, they lose on a buzzer beater, or in overtime?“. Palm said that they have to win to be in. Starkey then asked if the fact that Pitt has gone 12-3 in their last 15 games, all conference games, matter. Palm said that it doesn’t. Starkey then challenged him, saying that “if that doesn’t matter, “why would a nonconference game against Missouri in November?“. Palm said that they don’t look at “down the stretch” anymore. They used to, but they don’t anymore. To me, if you’re not going to look at that, then, what the hell are you looking at? Why even play a conference schedule?
Thants for the information. So basically Pitt’s at large fate was sealed when they started 1-5 because at that point, there was no way to avoid the bubble. what makes no sense to me, is that you could take Pitt’s schedule and replace the worst Q4 wins with 2 15-20 point losses at Purdue And Tennessee and at 20-12 and likely a similar NET, we would be a solid 9 or 10 seed because of improved NC SOS.

so it’s not about winning, it’s about ensuring you CYA with your scheduling.

Last edited:
It starts with not being afraid, Pitt hung.
They have to keep the momentum going into the post season and off season.

That is crazy to say that they don’t look at “down the stretch”. Like WTF!!
A loss 5 months ago, somehow weighs more than almost 2 months of a conference schedule. What am I missing? Like people have been saying - make it make sense.

I think Pitt will get the better calls from the refs, North Carolina is already in and probably a 1 seed, the acc needs more teams in, the more in the more money, I also believe that the refs were notified, they say pitt needed 2 wins and beating NC would give them their second win, over the years I’ve seen stuff like this before or that what it seemed to have been, we will see
Oh, my sweet child of summer. This is the ACC, you should've known both of our bigs would be sent into the bench in the first 10 min, and we'd get 0, yes 0, fouls called when we drove every possession from being tied 62-62, until 69-62 with nothing called.

Oh, my sweet child of summer. This is the ACC, you should've known both of our bigs would be sent into the bench in the first 10 min, and we'd get 0, yes 0, fouls called when we drove every possession from being tied 62-62, until 69-62 with nothing called.
19-6 in FTs.

19-6 in FTs.
It really is truly wild. Ryan, Cadeau and Trimble were putting hands on Carrington every drive and I think he had 2 FT total. Several shots where he was run through and just nothing.

Jeff had every right to be frustrated tonight, he coached his ass off 5v8.

We needed this win to be in. Before, I thought if we kept it close, we'd have a shot at getting into the NCAAT. Now I don't think we have a shot. We played them close but it doesn't matter to the nerds on the committee and their Q whatever and NET's. I think we are a tournament team, but we'll be disappointed on Sunday. So it's NIT time.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
We needed this win to be in. Before, I thought if we kept it close, we'd have a shot at getting into the NCAAT. Now I don't think we have a shot. We played them close but it doesn't matter to the nerds on the committee and their Q whatever and NET's. I think we are a tournament team, but we'll be disappointed on Sunday.
Sadly true but I have been prepared for this the last 24 hours when it became painfully obvious the Wake win wouldn’t be enough. I’m not even watching the selection show on Sunday.

I can’t even think of what Pitt team was close to being this good and didn’t make the field. Heck this team is better than many past Pitt teams that did make it.

Last year it all broke right for us even after the Duke blowout. Last night it went the entire other way.

Donald retires, Pickett traded and trashed by Dulac and Pitt loses out. What a day to forget.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Sadly true but I have been prepared for this the last 24 hours when it became painfully obvious the Wake win wouldn’t be enough. I’m not even watching the selection show on Sunday.

I can’t even think of what Pitt team was close to being this good and didn’t make the field. Heck this team is better than many past Pitt teams that did make it.

Last year it all broke right for us even after the Duke blowout. Last night it went the entire other way.

Donald retires, Pickett traded and trashed by Dulac and Pitt loses out. What a day to forget.

What did Dulac say about Pickett? I think Kenny is better off out of Pittsburgh and away from these cancerous Pittsburgh media types.

How many ACC teams they put in could be a factor.

Hoping in the end they give the ACC 5 bids and UNC blows out the winner of the UVA-NC State game so that Pitt replaces Virginia as one of the five.

Pitt just put on a performance against a 1 Seed worthy of a 2 seed playing in an Elite Eight game. Plus 20+ wins and finishing 4th in a major conference. Keeping this team out of the NCAA tournament will be the final straw for me and college sports.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Pitt just put on a performance against a 1 Seed worthy of a 2 seed playing in an Elite Eight game. Plus 20+ wins and finishing 4th in a major conference. Keeping this team out of the NCAA tournament will be the final straw for me and college sports.
The current NCAAT field selection methodology can allow for a certain amount of discretion and subjectivity.

Conference tournaments are money makers for television and conferences. But should the 32 auto bids go to teams who finish first in a regular season of somewhere between 18 and 20 games? Or to a team that wins a single elimination conference tournament?

But the process is very unlikely to change. So teams must schedule and win to give themselves the best chance to get selected.

Wishfull thinking

The current NCAAT field selection methodology can allow for a certain amount of discretion and subjectivity.

Conference tournaments are money makers for television and conferences. But should the 32 auto bids go to teams who finish first in a regular season of somewhere between 18 and 20 games? Or to a team that wins a single elimination conference tournament?

But the process is very unlikely to change. So teams must schedule and win to give themselves the best chance to get selected.
The fix is to put all autobid teams not ranked by computer consensus within the top 64 into a play in round. That way no deserving team gets knocked out by a stolen bid.

The fix is to put all autobid teams not ranked by computer consensus within the top 64 into a play in round. That way no deserving team gets knocked out by a stolen bid.
But I don’t think that’s a fix you’ll ever see. They prefer that there be room left for the underdogs. UMBC. Loyola. George Mason. Princeton. Etc..

The bracket busters are the darlings. Especially non-P6 conference ones. Not expecting any changes to attempt to just mathematically determine the top 68 teams. Don’t see it happening.

But I don’t think that’s a fix you’ll ever see. They prefer that there be room left for the underdogs. UMBC. Loyola. George Mason. Princeton. Etc..

The bracket busters are the darlings. Especially non-P6 conference ones. Not expecting any changes to attempt to just mathematically determine the top 68 teams. Don’t see it happening.
I believe you are right about it not happening. On the other hand I dont see why it would keep the underdog darlings out. They would all still get in via the play in round route.

I don't care if Pitt doesn't get in as long as we don't have 18 threads worrying about it.

I believe you are right about it not happening. On the other hand I dont see why it would keep the underdog darlings out. They would all still get in via the play in round route.
Depends on the mathematics and formula the computers would use to select the top 68.

Think such a system would be HEAVILY dominated by P6 schools If so many mid majors weren’t among the 32 current auto bids.

I watched a good bit of Indiana State for ex when they lost their conf trny final to Drake. They sure look to have no business in the NCAAT on talent or merit. But they’re being strongly considered, apparently. In a straight computer power ranking system? No way!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT