ADVERTISEMENT

If we win @ UVa

Seriously??? If your team doesn't have a pretty firm grip on a NCAA Tourney bid by now, it means they aren't very good. ...or at least they haven't been to this point. I think Yinzers DO understand that. Go back and read some Steeler threads. How many people are excited just to be in the hunt for a playoff birth?

It's your hard core college basketball fans that appreciate seeing teams start to come together, find their identity, and maximize their potential, whatever that may be.
This is a dreadfully awful take, but shouldn’t be surprising coming from the dude who said Cignetti ran the same offense as saban at Alabama.

It will be exceedingly difficult for Pitt to score more than 60 against UVA. We're going to have to play the best lock down defense we're capable of and count on a considerable number of 3's to have a chance against UVA.

It will be exceedingly difficult for Pitt to score more than 60 against UVA. We're going to have to play the best lock down defense we're capable of and count on a considerable number of 3's to have a chance against UVA.

We have 2 chances to win.

1. UVa is off and we win 48-46

2. We go crazy from 3. Hinson goes like 8-14 and we win 62-58

Wow. When did Virgina get so good? I must have missed it.

They blew out a mediocre Miami team on a night when the Canes were dreadful. Virginia ain't all that.

This is a dreadfully awful take, but shouldn’t be surprising coming from the dude who said Cignetti ran the same offense as saban at Alabama.
Pro-style multiple.

You're going to find out the Jimmy and Joes are more important than the Xs and Os. We're entering an era where Pitt can't compete at a very high level unless big money gets involved.

Bumping this now that it happened. I believe its possible that Pitt can lose 2 more games and get in but it would have to be the right losses.

Absolutely need at least a split of Wake/Clem. If we split those and win the rest, we are in, no question I believe. That would give us 3 Q1 wins or 4 if Wake moves back into the Top 30.

If we split Wake/Clem and lose a Q2 game at BC or home vs VT, I still think its possible we get in but it may require AT LEAST winning that 5/12 or 6/11 game or even winning that game + beating the 3 or 4 seed in the quarters.

If we lose to Wake and Clemson, we probably need to win the rest + make it to AT LEAST the ACC semis and maybe even to the Championship.

If we beat Wake and Clemson, we can probably lose 2 more in the regular season and get in.

The huge wildcard in Pitt's favor though is road wins. The committee always says they value road wins but this isnt a metric I can say that I know how much it impacts selection. Incredibly, of all the Power 6 teams, Pitt currently is tied for 1st with 6 road wins and you figure they'd have to chalk up a few more if they are even considered to be on the bubble.

To clarify:

Of course if you are fighting for a 1 seed, you are going to have more people interested but in my experiences, it was only Pitt fans interested in the regular season back then. Casual yinzers didnt give a shit until the BET and NCAAT. It was Steelers and Pens season and they just tuned in in March.

During Dixon 2 and Capel 2, even a lot of Pitt fans arent paying attention because the team isnt good enough to win the whole thing. They dont care about fighting for one of the last at-large spots. This is why the Pete is empty. Just making the tournament or fighting to make the tournament isnt good enough for them.
I agree with most of this but not the empty Pete. It was the hottest ticket in town. Steelers were regularly in sideline seats.

Bumping this now that it happened. I believe its possible that Pitt can lose 2 more games and get in but it would have to be the right losses.

Absolutely need at least a split of Wake/Clem. If we split those and win the rest, we are in, no question I believe. That would give us 3 Q1 wins or 4 if Wake moves back into the Top 30.

If we split Wake/Clem and lose a Q2 game at BC or home vs VT, I still think its possible we get in but it may require AT LEAST winning that 5/12 or 6/11 game or even winning that game + beating the 3 or 4 seed in the quarters.

If we lose to Wake and Clemson, we probably need to win the rest + make it to AT LEAST the ACC semis and maybe even to the Championship.

If we beat Wake and Clemson, we can probably lose 2 more in the regular season and get in.

The huge wildcard in Pitt's favor though is road wins. The committee always says they value road wins but this isnt a metric I can say that I know how much it impacts selection. Incredibly, of all the Power 6 teams, Pitt currently is tied for 1st with 6 road wins and you figure they'd have to chalk up a few more if they are even considered to be on the bubble.

I miss the days when 4-3 from here on out would be a guarantee for the tournament. 20-11 (11-9)... 21-12 if you win an ACCT game. Shoot, you'd probably be no worse than a 10 seed either, and even that is likely low-balling it. Crazy how fast it all changed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT