ADVERTISEMENT

If you think Pitt has problems...

Correct. If you sign an NIL deal, you should be legally bound to it. If another school wants to buy out his deal, fine then pay Pitt the entire deal.

It sounds like the payers of said deals often aren't fulfilling their ends, so I doubt the recipients are going to be legally bound to anything any time soon. There's just so little transparency right now. As with anything, it won't stop until the big boys start bitching enough.

Correct. If you sign an NIL deal, you should be legally bound to it. If another school wants to buy out his deal, fine then pay Pitt the entire deal.

I believe the only thing they are bound to is living in the city where the school is located because they cant officially make it pay for play so that's there way of making it unofficially pay for play. For example, if Dayon Hayes continues to live in Pittsburgh but commutes to Morgantown for practices and games, I would have to believe that A412 would have to keep paying him. He isnt going to do that but I'd like to see like some high profile QB prospect at say FSU with a $1 million or so NIL deal lose out on a starting job and then transfer to FAMU while still collecting on his FSU NIL deal since he still lives in Tallahassee. That would be so awesome.

But NIL deals are not with schools. So I don’t think that’s possible.

True. And while in a perfect fan world the NCAA would set some guidelines for them, the fact they exist in the first places shows the NCAA doesn’t have much say.

And while we look at things through the eyes of a fan, the reality is we probably wouldn’t want someone interfering with our ability to market our services.

I believe the only thing they are bound to is living in the city where the school is located because they cant officially make it pay for play so that's there way of making it unofficially pay for play. For example, if Dayon Hayes continues to live in Pittsburgh but commutes to Morgantown for practices and games, I would have to believe that A412 would have to keep paying him. He isnt going to do that but I'd like to see like some high profile QB prospect at say FSU with a $1 million or so NIL deal lose out on a starting job and then transfer to FAMU while still collecting on his FSU NIL deal since he still lives in Tallahassee. That would be so awesome.

Addison to UCLA would have been funny.

(Somehow, I have to think there are more constraints)

The thing that jumps out to me about the twitter search here is that it’s just business as usual. Most players are giving heart felt thanks to coaches, fans, and universities.

This isn’t like in the past where a transfer of a good player was a sign of trouble.

So again…we have to just be able to play the other side of it. Contribute what makes sense for you. It’s worth it to have a good product. Have to play the game.

The schools are making out because the players are creating revenue for the schools. The players are making out because they are getting paid. The people behind the NIL deals are making money too.

Yet, the people that are being asked to pay are the fans.

Makes no sense to me…Chris mentioned the same thing on his podcast last night.

Last edited:
I saw on Twitter that Texas A&M has had 19 players enter the portal.

It may have been in that thread, but I wasn't going to read it all.

Addison to UCLA would have been funny.

(Somehow, I have to think there are more constraints)

Not sure how there can be though. Its a deal between a marketing firm and a player and the firm isnt allowed to specify that a player be on a certain team. That's why they say you have to live in said city.

I still can't believe any of this is legal. Murky third parties paying players to play at non-profits? Maddening.

I still can't believe any of this is legal. Murky third parties paying players to play at non-profits? Maddening.

Its even more shady than you make it sound. They arent even paying them to play, which certainly seems like it should be legal. They are paying them to 6-7 figures to do fake marketing. Film a commercial for IG. Show up at a food bank. Make a hospital visit. Do that and you get $750K which is about $745K above the market value of some NFL doing those things.

Why in the world does NCAA have multiple transfer portal windows? Am I that crazy to think there should be one transfer portal window, once a year, and that is it? I actually think the post-spring practice window might be the best time do it -- or perhaps even have it during the summer after classes are out. But having a single window I think would be a better way of doing it.

Reactions: Burgh15
Why in the world does NCAA have multiple transfer portal windows? Am I that crazy to think there should be one transfer portal window, once a year, and that is it? I actually think the post-spring practice window might be the best time do it -- or perhaps even have it during the summer after classes are out. But having a single window I think would be a better way of doing it.

They are already allowing unfiltered free agency. The portal should open the day after the National Championship. Why? Because if you consider bowl games are part of the season then why would you open it during the season? Might as well open it October 1 then.

And there it should be open from NC to NLI day. That's it. You dont like where you are after Spring? Play harder and transfer next year. Or, or, this is a crazy idea but transfer and RS that year.

And there it should be open from NC to NLI day. That's it. You dont like where you are after Spring? Play harder and transfer next year. Or, or, this is a crazy idea but transfer and RS that year.
Right ... the student athlete can voluntarily sit out and pay his own tuition, or unenroll from school, until the next transfer portal window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT