ADVERTISEMENT

I'll address the "fool's gold" question

pitt2017

Scholarship
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2022
I've seen the phrase "fool's gold" used when questioning whether or not this 2024 is actually a good team. Specifically, I saw the 2006 season referenced as a comparison.

That team opened the year 6-1 with wins against UVA (who went 5-7), Cincinnati (8-5), the Citadel (5-6), Toledo (5-7), Syracuse (4-8), and UCF (4-8). That's a combined record of 31-41. Pitt went on to lose to Rutgers (11-2), USF (8-5), UConn (4-8), WVU (11-2), and Louisville (12-1). That's a combined record of 46-18. In other words, for the most part, Pitt beat the bad teams and lost to good teams, i.e., Pitt was decidedly mediocre. (They also lost to Michigan State who went 4-8, which suggests that Pitt was really just a bad team).

While this year still has many games to be played, is Pitt in a similar position to 2006? In terms of schedule, it does seem like the 2024 Panthers have a back-heavy schedule. So far their combined opponents' record is 11-16. Their upcoming opponents' record is 27-10.

Now, obviously the comparison is imperfect: we don't know the final records of this year's opponents. But, so far, I would say that Pitt still has a lot to prove in terms of opponents faced. I'm not saying Pitt isn't good this year, only that it's possible they haven't really played a truly good team yet. WVU looks like they can have a decent season, but otherwise the other teams are either mediocre (Cincy, UNC), FCS (YSU) or just plain awful (Kent State). We'll see!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.