ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Freshmen by Position from Pitt Camp so far

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
Top freshmen from Camp so far, from what I gather.

The Great

RB-Chawntez Moss-No secret here, he's been getting hype since early spring all through summer. Sadly for him, we are stacked at RB, and he could redshirt because of it. Real nice talent, highly underrated talent.

Defensive Line-Not 1, or 2 , but 3 players are getting hype off the line with Watts, Camp, and Wheeler. Wheeler is said to be flat out better than what many thought and ahead of schedule and making plays. Pitt completely cleaned house last year on the D-line recruiting, and with loaded offer sheets from all 3 guys, its easy to see why. We are set to do it again with Jeter, Garbutt, and Twyman in the 2017 class, where that level of talent would put us off the charts in the future. Watts and Camp reportedly have been extremely strong bull rushing the QB. No surprise there, they were expected to be impact recruits immediately, and all signs point in that direction so far.

The Good

Defensive Back- While Hamlin has not locked down a starter spot yet, Hamlin, Coleman, and Garner are said be having pretty good camps and we have major high upside here. I like Garner at safety, big 6'2 frame, good instincts and closer, big hitter, playmaker. He has everything needed except big time speed. We just happen to be set at Safety this year. Like this group a lot.

QB-TMAC- While the talk of the camp is Nate Peterman, TMAC has been said to be looking really good with high upside as a true freshmen. He is behind with learning the playbook, but has major upside.

The Ok

WR-While all 3 guys have been said to do some good things in camp with Mathews, Flowers, and Ffrench, none of them cracked the early Top 5 WR rotation from Matt Canada. That can obviously change, but I dont feel the huge positive vibe with these 3 like I do with, say, the defensive line, when Narduzzi says they are flat out explosive and talented with massive upside. Obviously Mathews has received the most hype so far as an athletic specimen at 6'5 that can win jump balls, but how much does his 4.9 40 effect him when the coaches say he can stretch the field? I always thought he could bulk up and be a beast of a TE in the future, but that doesnt look like the plan now. Im a little surprised Flowers hasn't done more, or, at least, talked about more, but, perhaps that could be to the credit of our current WR's stepping up-Maybe. There does not seem to be major separation among these players, except Ford, and maybe Henderson. While Weah has been tabbed ultra "talented", however you want to read that, he has proven zero he can catch a football, and it should stay that way until he catches a ball in a live game.

The Disappointing

LB- This is probably my biggest concern position going into the season, unlike the majority talking about WR and TE. Bam Bradley is a redshirt senior getting more snaps at the Money position than at star. Who is the star? Zeise, Idowu? The lone brightspot is rs freshmen Saleem Brightwell, a highly recruited massive hitter with strong closing speed and tackling ability, but still is getting confused in formations per the coaches-Huge upside player. Talk has been quiet on highly rated recruit Anthony Mckee Jr., redshirt freshmen, Pugh, and Pine. Its clear after last season we need a lot more speed and athletic ability at LB. And while some positions are getting great early reviews from freshmen, such as Defensive line and secondary, this one is clearly lacking early on and not being talked about. Im surprised Pugh has not gotten more pub, he has the speed and athletic ability, but maybe having problems on the learning curve. We desperately could use his speed and athleticism. And, if none of these young guys step up, this position looks potentially dire going into next season as we lose Galambos, Caprara, and Bradley. We really need to land Nathan Proctor.

Incomplete

Offensive Line- Considering every coach on our team is raving about the talent and depth of our o-line going up to 9 deep across the board without hesitation, there obviously was not going to be any talk about any younger players. We have the best oline in the ACC, talent wise, and, depth wise. Matt Canada said the talent and depth on this line is unbelievable, and I would agree, as I can see potentially up to 5 players making the NFL off of it. So there is nothing to get information on the young guys, no one is even asking about it.

Fail

TE-
This one is obvious, we don't have any. But for those wanting to know, we are still recruiting Reeves hard as I understand it.

Overall- We knew this freshmen class was great coming in, and highly underrated. From what has been shown so far on the field, a lot of the young guys look strong so far considering their age and being brand new to college, and this 2016 class is going to turn out special before there time is done here.

You will need to change matthews as coaches are saying he is a standout and a freakish athlete. Give the kid a season to properly learn route running and we got a steal here...

Dude ... way to early to call anyone anything. If we have a starter that is a true freshman it is more a case that we have a true need there due to injuries and then the coaches will be spouting off how great the freshman is to give the guy loads of confidence.

I would not call the linebackers disappointments I would wait awhile to judge that

Reactions: President Stache
Nice summary. I remained concerned about LB. I wasn't happy with any of last year's starters and I don't think those guys have much upside.

Agree about these LB's. Caprara and Galambos have no upside. Solid backups, but if you want to get where we want to go, we need better. Bradley is so damn inconsistant it frustrates the hell out of me. Zeise or Idowu starting at LB?? Yikes.

Hearing good things about Brightwell. It's a shame McKee got hurt. Pugh and Pine can't mature fast enough!

Seems like Brightwell and McKee have not been able to put on weight - so they seem only suited for that tweener safety/LB position.

I think Zeise is going to surprise - he plays smart and he's a decent athlete.

I think Galambos and Caprara do have some upside. Both made some nice progress last season and should be more effective in their second season in the Duzz's defense. Especially if the DL can be more effective - which it should be with Hendrix...

Go Pitt.

Let's be honest, Narduzzi gives out next next to nothing about camp. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just his style.

I agree with the one above who said its just way to early to tell. Like when steel was banging the drum on wheeler, I think he will RS.

The info about camp has been very hard to come by, the coach wants everything locked down.

Let's be honest, Narduzzi gives out next next to nothing about camp. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just his style.

I agree with the one above who said its just way to early to tell. Like when steel was banging the drum on wheeler, I think he will RS.

The info about camp has been very hard to come by, the coach wants everything locked down.

-Its not that locked down. And none of the information I wrote was made up.

-The latest comments on the defensive line were made by Narduzzi himself, among other coaches, on all 3 of those players standing out. I knew Watts and Camp were the real deal months ago.

You said wheeler was one of three players getting a lot of hype. I think Wheeler RS. Narduzzi keeps things very close to the vest on camp info, if you think otherwise, you don't have a clue.

Last edited:
If we keep bringing in all these top notch defensive linemen, a couple are bound to end up offensive lineman like Milecki from the Wanny era.

I personally can't believe Matthews is running a 4.9 (which would mean he runs an actual 5.1 considering the way everyone quick-clicks high school 40 times). I saw some video of him in the 7 on 7 tournaments and he was killing it, not to mention all the top schools that were recruiting him as a safety last year would have shied away from a 4.9 safety.

The Great

RB-Chawntez Moss-No secret here, he's been getting hype since early spring all through summer. Sadly for him, we are stacked at RB, and he could redshirt because of it. Real nice talent, highly underrated talent.

Defensive Line-Not 1, or 2 , but 3 players are getting hype off the line with Watts, Camp, and Wheeler. Wheeler is said to be flat out better than what many thought and ahead of schedule and making plays. Pitt completely cleaned house last year on the D-line recruiting, and with loaded offer sheets from all 3 guys, its easy to see why. We are set to do it again with Jeter, Garbutt, and Twyman in the 2017 class, where that level of talent would put us off the charts in the future. Watts and Camp reportedly have been extremely strong bull rushing the QB. No surprise there, they were expected to be impact recruits immediately, and all signs point in that direction so far.

The Good

Defensive Back- While Hamlin has not locked down a starter spot yet, Hamlin, Coleman, and Garner are said be having pretty good camps and we have major high upside here. I like Garner at safety, big 6'2 frame, good instincts and closer, big hitter, playmaker. He has everything needed except big time speed. We just happen to be set at Safety this year. Like this group a lot.

QB-TMAC- While the talk of the camp is Nate Peterman, TMAC has been said to be looking really good with high upside as a true freshmen. He is behind with learning the playbook, but has major upside.

The Ok

WR-While all 3 guys have been said to do some good things in camp with Mathews, Flowers, and Ffrench, none of them cracked the early Top 5 WR rotation from Matt Canada. That can obviously change, but I dont feel the huge positive vibe with these 3 like I do with, say, the defensive line, when Narduzzi says they are flat out explosive and talented with massive upside. Obviously Mathews has received the most hype so far as an athletic specimen at 6'5 that can win jump balls, but how much does his 4.9 40 effect him when the coaches say he can stretch the field? I always thought he could bulk up and be a beast of a TE in the future, but that doesnt look like the plan now. Im a little surprised Flowers hasn't done more, or, at least, talked about more, but, perhaps that could be to the credit of our current WR's stepping up-Maybe. There does not seem to be major separation among these players, except Ford, and maybe Henderson. While Weah has been tabbed ultra "talented", however you want to read that, he has proven zero he can catch a football, and it should stay that way until he catches a ball in a live game.

The Disappointing

LB- This is probably my biggest concern position going into the season, unlike the majority talking about WR and TE. Bam Bradley is a redshirt senior getting more snaps at the Money position than at star. Who is the star? Zeise, Idowu? The lone brightspot is rs freshmen Saleem Brightwell, a highly recruited massive hitter with strong closing speed and tackling ability, but still is getting confused in formations per the coaches-Huge upside player. Talk has been quiet on highly rated recruit Anthony Mckee Jr., redshirt freshmen, Pugh, and Pine. Its clear after last season we need a lot more speed and athletic ability at LB. And while some positions are getting great early reviews from freshmen, such as Defensive line and secondary, this one is clearly lacking early on and not being talked about. Im surprised Pugh has not gotten more pub, he has the speed and athletic ability, but maybe having problems on the learning curve. We desperately could use his speed and athleticism. And, if none of these young guys step up, this position looks potentially dire going into next season as we lose Galambos, Caprara, and Bradley. We really need to land Nathan Proctor.

Incomplete

Offensive Line- Considering every coach on our team is raving about the talent and depth of our o-line going up to 9 deep across the board without hesitation, there obviously was not going to be any talk about any younger players. We have the best oline in the ACC, talent wise, and, depth wise. Matt Canada said the talent and depth on this line is unbelievable, and I would agree, as I can see potentially up to 5 players making the NFL off of it. So there is nothing to get information on the young guys, no one is even asking about it.

Fail

TE-
This one is obvious, we don't have any. But for those wanting to know, we are still recruiting Reeves hard as I understand it.

Overall- We knew this freshmen class was great coming in, and highly underrated. From what has been shown so far on the field, a lot of the young guys look strong so far considering their age and being brand new to college, and this 2016 class is going to turn out special before there time is done here.
Thanks love this kind of post informing me and shared to learn on the Lair!

I have heard some same and some different.

DT camp has been very impressive, watts good, wheeler not physically ready.

LB Pugh will be a super star and pine has looked decent.

DB recruits have been very impressive especially Hamlin and Coleman at corner and garner at safety.

Heard very good things about moss and tmac.

DB recruits have been very impressive especially Hamlin and Coleman at corner and garner at safety.

-All 3 of those d-lineman are getting significant reps, and that came from Narduzzi himself yesterday.

-I have not heard Pugh's named mentioned once for competing for a starting position at lb. I have not heard his name mentioned for a 2-deep slot. So your information would be surprising.

that is exactly why i said wheeler will be a RS. i agree with all other stuff mentioned. pugh will be a gamer. one other kid to keep an eye on is miller the db from florida, he will be very valuable player in his pitt career.

pugh and whitehead, i love how these two went about their recruiting process.

Last edited:
that is exactly why i said wheeler will be a RS. i agree with all other stuff mentioned. pugh will be a gamer. one other kid to keep an eye on is miller the db from florida, he will be very valuable player in his pitt career.

-Moss might redshirt too. You are missing the point. The point is, he is getting significant reps for a 2 deep position. That means he is ahead of the curve.

From Pitt's media site, 2 days ago, from the head coach, second time they talked about the freshmen dline

"they have a ton of talent. You see great spurts out of them every day. They have the ability to cause havoc in the backfield. [Amir] Watts will get off the ball. Yesterday he caused some major havoc on the inside. But sometimes he’ll be on the same side as the other guy, and it becomes a problem. That’s the same thing for the other guys. Keyshon Camp looked explosive yesterday, and Rashad Wheeler has looked good. All three of them I anticipate getting ready to go as the season starts.”

-All 3 of those d-lineman are getting significant reps, and that came from Narduzzi himself yesterday.

-I have not heard Pugh's named mentioned once for competing for a starting position at lb. I have not heard his name mentioned for a 2-deep slot. So your information would be surprising.

I didn't say he was competing for starting. Just like macvittie or moss he isn't. But he's a physical specimen that hasn't really played lb that much but they like what he has the potential to do.

I don't understand the comments about the upside/lack thereof of seniors (Caprara, Galambos, etc.). Upside refers to someone's developmental trajectory, and really only makes sense to think about it for young players. In a year, two, or three, a young guy with upside could grow a lot and become special. Seniors who've played a lot may (and should because they're a year older) show some improvement in their senior seasons, but I wouldn't call it upside.

Pugh has a ton of upside; so does Mathews, even though neither may play this season.

Agree about these LB's. Caprara and Galambos have no upside. Solid backups, but if you want to get where we want to go, we need better. Bradley is so damn inconsistant it frustrates the hell out of me. Zeise or Idowu starting at LB?? Yikes.

Hearing good things about Brightwell. It's a shame McKee got hurt. Pugh and Pine can't mature fast enough!
You're not looking for "upside" out of senior starters. Galambos is a 4 year starter, do you have any idea how hard that is to do? Especially under a couple of different coordinators. He's a strength of the D, not a weakness. Caprara has earned his reps the hard way. He's probably the smartest and hardest working player on the defense, and the coaches like him despite his physical shortcomings.

As for Bradley, what are the inconsistencies in his play as you see it, other than playing for 2 different DCs and switching between LB spots numerous times?

Reactions: vietvet1
A number of freshman will contribute to the cause this year. I Hamlin as the eventual starter at corner. If Maddox goes down. maybe Coleman as well. I think Jackson and Henderson are in the mix as well. A couple DT's will rotate for depth as well. The player that is capable is Zeise. He was a really good DB in HS and has the frame to be a quick twitch type line backer.

He's a strength of the D, not a weakness.

If he's one of the strengths of the defense then one of two things is true. Either he has gotten much better, or the defense is not going to be very good at all. Up to this point he has been a below average linebacker (at best). If we don't have multiple positions at which we are above average (or better) then we all need to reset our expectations for the upcoming season.

I haven't seen anything on tmac but sounds like you guys have so good to hear. Tough to tell who is doing well with this staffs policy on treating everything top secret. Pine and Pugh are 2 I really want to hear about.

The Great

The Good

The Ok

The Disappointing

Incomplete

Fail

TE-

Matthew's is faster than a 4.9, yeah that's what scout lists, but watch some video, he can run some, he's probably 4..6-4.7.

Well, I think the top freshman will be Tipton, we shall see. I assume you mean true Freshman, and then it sounds like Camp perhaps will be in that rotation early. Still think Hamlin wins a starting role (of course, that is just based on reputation). I tend to agree that it is way too early. Even 3, 4 weeks of practice just isnt enough to learn a system, and if we have to rely on true freshmen to start or play roles, I think that is more a case of we have some holes... which we do.

I think Freshman contribution will ultimately depend on the record and injuries. If things go south early, don't be shocked to see the staff move more young guys into the starting lineup. I also think they don't mind "developing" a kid for an extra couple of weeks before starting them.

Seems like Brightwell and McKee have not been able to put on weight - so they seem only suited for that tweener safety/LB position.

I think Zeise is going to surprise - he plays smart and he's a decent athlete.

I think Galambos and Caprara do have some upside. Both made some nice progress last season and should be more effective in their second season in the Duzz's defense. Especially if the DL can be more effective - which it should be with Hendrix...

Go Pitt.
Zeise = Anthony Gonzalez???

Zeise = Anthony Gonzalez???
Todd Thomas was also a WR his first couple of years at Pitt.

the coaches will play whoever they think gives us the best chance to win. They are watching all of these guys practice every day through professional eyes, so we're in a pretty poor position to second guess them.

Bottom line is, we won;t know who the starters are until the team takes the field for the first game. They may change from one game to the next as well.

My guess is Bradley will start, the coaches are trying to keep the fire lit under his a$$.

-Of all the freshmen, Watts and Camp got the mentions again today by Narduzzi.

-Also said these 2 are as impressive as any freshmen he's coached in the past

-Finally got a Kaezon Pugh mention from his pick 6 in the scrimmage. Noted freshmen athleticism and speed from the LB coach, but not having the overall mental gave-yet. Basically meaning big upside (which we knew), but not there yet as a freshmen.

-Really want Pugh to come out and seize the outside LB position. Need the speed, athleticism, and big play ability.

Concerning LB, even if they aren't as strong.... A strong DL makes the LB life easier. So there is that.

-Big hitter Saleem Brightwell is now getting reps with the 2's and fighting for a 2 deep, so the freshmen lb aren't completely dead yet. TMAC is still getting reps with the 2's. Common Tmac vs Nova, that would be great.

^^^Is he? And, who's he pushing? I assume Bradley given just about everyone else passed him up in the off season on the outside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT