Interesting comment about Lyke from another site

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Thoughts?

1. fd5878a29b49fc9a770fedd411def5c5
    Ice Tex
    February 8, 2022 at 9:09 am
    Pitt’s AD has a certain type of person she looks for in hires. She validates her philosophy every rare time she speaks with the public concerning votes of confidence or contract extensions.
    These desired individual traits can be categorized as interpersonal. Now I won’t argue they aren’t important but I will disagree with the approach.
    What are the primary responsibilities of a coach?
    In no particular order, recruiting, managing and hiring staff, developing players, establishing a culture, discipline, compliance, media relations, game day coaching, etc
    I just have never heard or read pitt’s AD saying that’s she’s confident or granting extensions because of the great game day coaching or the great recruiting or the assembly of a great staff. To our AD it seems to be more about player and coach relationships. Creating harmony and wins should follow.
    Interested in what others think.
    Liked by 1 person

Guys, this is beating a dead horse. And I do mean dead. Everyone that is watching Pitt basketball and knows even a small tidbit about the game knows that Capel has to go. That is regardless of what he does the rest of the year. He's no head coach and has proven that quite well. That's about all he has done well.

Reactions: Amigo3
Guys, this is beating a dead horse. And I do mean dead. Everyone that is watching Pitt basketball and knows even a small tidbit about the game knows that Capel has to go. That is regardless of what he does the rest of the year. He's no head coach and has proven that quite well. That's about all he has done well.
I believe Heather knows this as well! The only question is: can Pitt/Heather afford to do it this year? Or will they do it this year?

Thoughts?

1. fd5878a29b49fc9a770fedd411def5c5
    Ice Tex
    February 8, 2022 at 9:09 am
    Pitt’s AD has a certain type of person she looks for in hires. She validates her philosophy every rare time she speaks with the public concerning votes of confidence or contract extensions.
    These desired individual traits can be categorized as interpersonal. Now I won’t argue they aren’t important but I will disagree with the approach.
    What are the primary responsibilities of a coach?
    In no particular order, recruiting, managing and hiring staff, developing players, establishing a culture, discipline, compliance, media relations, game day coaching, etc
    I just have never heard or read pitt’s AD saying that’s she’s confident or granting extensions because of the great game day coaching or the great recruiting or the assembly of a great staff. To our AD it seems to be more about player and coach relationships. Creating harmony and wins should follow.
    Interested in what others think.
    Liked by 1 person

This is actually a really good observation as you never hear Heather comment on even her successful coaches' gameday coaching or recruiting. Its always about their leadership skills or the culture they are creating. She probably feels Capel is a great leader and he has to start winning by default. Capel checks a lot of the boxes you want except for winning basketball games and this has her and most of us perplexed because it should never have been Stallings 2.0.

Reactions: gary2
A. Is an athletic director any more qualified to comment on game day decisions or x's and o's than anyone else? They are administrators and big picture people.

B. It is hard to endorse a coaches recruits or game day choices when every game day in three straight Februarys is a debacle

A. Is an athletic director any more qualified to comment on game day decisions or x's and o's than anyone else? They are administrators and big picture people.

B. It is hard to endorse a coaches recruits or game day choices when every game day in three straight Februarys is a debacle
A.
No , which is why competent ones don’t

B. When you lose alot of games , and answer A means you don’t talk about their tactics - the talent level is fair game

the talent level is fair game
But don't you think this is tantamount to throwing the players under the bus? These kids agreed to come to Pitt and play here, I am not in favor of the administration publicly saying "These players are not very good"

If the two things that he's posted from this person are any indication, it's probably better that they remain anonymous.
Maybe it would get better if a booster picked the new coach? Would be hard to be worse.

Ice Tex
February 8, 2022 at 10:29 am
The ACC published a year or two back that 20 percent of the $400 million in ACC monies was driven by basketball. Mainly March madness.
So I’d think that pitt basketball would be allocated roughly $6 million annually given Pitts ACC check is around $30 million. That pretty much covers the coaching salaries, administration costs and marketing. The other expenditures for scholarships, travel, recruiting, insurance, utilities, debt and other miscellanous things can be covered by a half empty Pete. $3-4 million.
So basketball is breaking even or maybe generating a small profit. The key revenue driver besides the ACC money are the suites. The Pete has 18 of them. How many of the suite contracts are not being renewed. How many suites are empty? Those are corporate dollars.
If Capel has five years remaining on his contract, that’s roughly $15 million hanging out there. His buyout would only be a fraction of that. Pitt could always tap the general fund or use the discretionary dollars from the endowment. No booster would cover the cost unless they picked the next coach.

But don't you think this is tantamount to throwing the players under the bus? These kids agreed to come to Pitt and play here, I am not in favor of the administration publicly saying "These players are not very good"
I’m saying her comment which hedged on the topic - was shrewd

Maybe it would get better if a booster picked the new coach? Would be hard to be worse.

Ice Tex
February 8, 2022 at 10:29 am
The ACC published a year or two back that 20 percent of the $400 million in ACC monies was driven by basketball. Mainly March madness.
So I’d think that pitt basketball would be allocated roughly $6 million annually given Pitts ACC check is around $30 million. That pretty much covers the coaching salaries, administration costs and marketing. The other expenditures for scholarships, travel, recruiting, insurance, utilities, debt and other miscellanous things can be covered by a half empty Pete. $3-4 million.
So basketball is breaking even or maybe generating a small profit. The key revenue driver besides the ACC money are the suites. The Pete has 18 of them. How many of the suite contracts are not being renewed. How many suites are empty? Those are corporate dollars.
If Capel has five years remaining on his contract, that’s roughly $15 million hanging out there. His buyout would only be a fraction of that. Pitt could always tap the general fund or use the discretionary dollars from the endowment. No booster would cover the cost unless they picked the next coach.
Please stop posting blogger nonsense here.
Boosters don’t make coaching hires - that’s as dumb as something smf would say .

they write checks , and that’s it

Please stop posting blogger nonsense here.
Boosters don’t make coaching hires - that’s as dumb as something smf would say .

they write checks , and that’s it
Really? Will you stop taking personal insults at everyone you don't like? That is what got you banished in the first place. I see you are free. I mean it is okay to disagree sometimes, but you just make it personal based on nothing but dislike. That is pretty weak and childish. Every post of yours is the same formula. Dude, you have issues.

They sure better be. They make nearly 7 figures, primarily to hire football and basketball coaches.

Really? What happened the last time a booster meddled in the basketball coaching situation?
I don’t think the booster picked Stallings. It probably would have been better if the booster actually picked the new coach rather than the AD.

The current AD didn’t do too well with either her search process or hire.

Let us roll the dice and let the booster make the pick This time. ;)

Let's not get into this again. We all know who the numbnuts booster was before and he's still around. Maybe he should open his big mouth now and do something constructive for the program other than bribing them with his money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT