ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Fan lead right now on buyout.

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
Claims pitt offered Stallings a buyout of 4.85 million or he could be fired with cause specifically citing his behavior of heckling a fan twice at Louisville.

I am ok with pitt doing this, but I see no way pitt wins with weak sauce like that argument. Coaches shouldn't yell at fans but is that a fireable offense? Unless because of his prior issues it was written into his contract. Who knows. Maybe they bring up Luther getting told to get his head in the fking game. Who knows. But I think it will be tough.

If this is true, no harm in trying. At the very least potentially trying to engage him in a legal battle might give him enough Paws to settle. Might not knock it down massively, but might be enough to chip it down.

I think we can get out of this if they make a solid case for him misusing funds ala cancelling paid recruiting visits to go to his son's games. If they can prove he was very lackluster in his recruiting efforts I think that'd be pretty good cause.

As for the Louisville incident I've seen it mentioned here he has an anger management clause? I know nothing about that personally but that would be more ammunition certainly.

And I'm one that has recently grown to want stallings gone, but I never had the problem some did with him doing that at Louisville. If it saves Pitt money though, well then he's a big meany that yells a lot and says really mean things! :p

Reactions: ratking17
If Louisville is what they are hanging their hat on, that is just absurd.

No it isn't. Remember, they don't have to win, just have to create a possibility of winning to scare Stallings into the buyout. These contracts have vague language about embarrassing the university. Its why Haywood was fired for cause. Its why Larry Eustachy was fired for cause for partying at a frat a decade ago, etc.

This is what I said they should do. Fire him for cause and let him sue.

No it isn't. Remember, they don't have to win, just have to create a possibility of winning to scare Stallings into the buyout. These contracts have vague language about embarrassing the university. Its why Haywood was fired for cause. Its why Larry Eustachy was fired for cause for partying at a frat a decade ago, etc.

That will really help with getting he next guy......

The $5 million we potentially save will be more helpful in landing the next guy than a lawsuit would potentially hurt our chances of landing someone who doesn't like this lawsuit

It really doesn’t matter the terms.
It’s ancient history.

Heather was overly complimentary of Stallings- and called it a leadership change (not fired).

I’ll assume that was part of whatever agreement was reached.

The dollar figure is now immaterial

Reactions: balboa10
The Steelers want to overpay a guy who doesn’t want to come to work because the pay isn’t high enough.
Pitt wants to overpay a guy who they don’t want coming to work.
The Pirates...well they don’t want to pay anybody.
Penguins please keep doing what you are doing and save the city.

I didn’t mind when he did it, so it’s stupid to use as a reason.

But reasonable parties should just say “look, you sucked at an unimaginable level. Here is half. Good luck”

THAT is really the reason and it’s “fair” to both

I would take everything you hear with a huge grain of salt.

Dunlap hasn't really been right on anything he has reported so far. He reported Pitt offered him 7.25 million, then said they only offered informally, then said they didn't offer it all but that is the amount the boosters wanted to offer, now they offered 4.8 or told him he would be fired with cause....

No one really knows for sure what is going on and if we learned anything in regards to Pitt, they are generally really secretive about their coaching searches. The leaks you hear are generally never who they are hiring.

The Steelers want to overpay a guy who doesn’t want to come to work because the pay isn’t high enough.
Pitt wants to overpay a guy who they don’t want coming to work.
The Pirates...well they don’t want to pay anybody.
Penguins please keep doing what you are doing and save the city.
I don’t think the Penguins are really saving the city.

If it's true, it's just classic negotiating. You come in with a low number and some things to muddy the
water. It goes back and forth and you settle somewhere in between.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
PSN now reporting Stallings is retiring.

LOL.... so many different stories... none of these guys have a clue including Dunlap.

If that happens, Pitt will be in court for a long time. Probably lose as well as have to pay big time plus the original buy out. Who ever thought up that scheme is probably one of the dumb azzes that has been bitching about the hire since it happened. Problem with a lot of our Pitt fans and or hirelings is they think they know about things they really don't know.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr and gary2
I surely hope this isn't true. It makes Pitt look cheap and vindictive. Any money saved won't be worth it, because it will just make it that much more difficult to hire someone else. This is just a bad, bad, petty look.

Pay the guy his money and walk away. It's not his fault that the contract he got was stupid and bad. If they don't, then the next guy isn't going to have any faith that his buyout clause will be respected, either. Hell, I wouldn't.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr and gary2
I surely hope this isn't true. It makes Pitt look cheap and vindictive. Any money saved won't be worth it, because it will just make it that much more difficult to hire someone else. This is just a bad, bad, petty look.

Pay the guy his money and walk away. It's not his fault that the contract he got was stupid and bad. If they don't, then the next guy isn't going to have any faith that his buyout clause will be respected, either. Hell, I wouldn't.

of course the nitter would chime in with his view that Pitt not having a good look. Why am I not surprised in your opinion?

Reactions: pittmeister
I would take everything you hear with a huge grain of salt.

Dunlap hasn't really been right on anything he has reported so far. He reported Pitt offered him 7.25 million, then said they only offered informally, then said they didn't offer it all but that is the amount the boosters wanted to offer, now they offered 4.8 or told him he would be fired with cause....

No one really knows for sure what is going on and if we learned anything in regards to Pitt, they are generally really secretive about their coaching searches. The leaks you hear are generally never who they are hiring.

Dunlap is another putz. No one at the fan has a clue

Probably a strategic leak. Maybe there was something more but also not a slam dunk to be fire-worthy in court and Stallings and Pitt agreed to a higher settlement than the $4.85 million on the terms that it would be leaked that the cause was the silly snipe at a fan. Who the hell knows?

To sum up, Louisville didn't fire Pitino for assaulting a hooker. Pitt fired Stallings for teasing a Louisville fan because Pitino was paying his players $100K a pop. College athletics is a haven for moral reprobates at every level.

Probably a strategic leak. Maybe there was something more but also not a slam dunk to be fire-worthy in court and Stallings and Pitt agreed to a higher settlement than the $4.85 million on the terms that it would be leaked that the cause was the silly snipe at a fan. Who the hell knows?

To sum up, Louisville didn't fire Pitino for assaulting a hooker. Pitt fired Stallings for teasing a Louisville fan because Pitino was paying his players $100K a pop. College athletics is a haven for moral reprobates at every level.

I bet a leak of some half truths from Stallings camps. Cage seems to like to talk a lot...

This stuff happens all the time. Not the "big mess" that Dunlap called it. It's why you have lawyers.

We will move on with our coaching search, announce a guy who can rekindle hope in the program and bring in a couple of good recruits, and no one will give a rat's rear how this plays out behind the scenes. Get the right guy - that's the only thing that matters.

The rest of this stuff is our crummy media whining because they didn't get to do this crap at a presser so they could once again "confront" Pitt. I'm very pleased that Lyke was having none of that.

It wouldn’t be surprising if there were stipulations about comments or language given he told a Vandy player he’d kill him and swore at Luther on mic last year. If Lyke told him they wouldn’t tolerate more PR issues like that this season, the UL incident would be exactly the type of thing to warrant cause.

Again, people saying firing for cause is bad still have no idea what is in the agreement or what the supposed cause is. I am willing to assume they are not just throwing it out trivially. It’s certainly in Pitt’s interest to limit the damage with a negotiated buyout rather than paying the full amount by court order. If they’re arguing cause, they must have a reasonable case that they think they can win.

Reactions: H2P-2007
The Fan

Always makes me laugh. Look at their website and take a look at the Freak Show!

It wouldn’t be surprising if there were stipulations about comments or language given he told a Vandy player he’d kill him and swore at Luther on mic last year. If Lyke told him they wouldn’t tolerate more PR issues like that this season, the UL incident would be exactly the type of thing to warrant cause.

Again, people saying firing for cause is bad still have no idea what is in the agreement or what the supposed cause is. I am willing to assume they are not just throwing it out trivially. It’s certainly in Pitt’s interest to limit the damage with a negotiated buyout rather than paying the full amount by court order. If they’re arguing cause, they must have a reasonable case that they think they can win.

Basically my assumption as well. I have a hard time believing Pitt would blindly make something up that had no merit whatsoever.

But I also won't argue either way on this topic because like 100% of the other fans, we have absolutely no idea what the actual inner workings are within the athletic department, what his contract language states, and so forth.

Perhaps he was blowing off Fundraising events that Lyke expected and required him to be at, or he blew off internal training, blew off mandatory Athletic meetings, etc...

None of us really know one way or the other.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
PSN now reporting Stallings is retiring.

LOL.... so many different stories... none of these guys have a clue including Dunlap.
Retiring actually makes some sense. He can probably get some media work but really, who is going to hire 0-19? How would YOU like to be an AD and tell your boss, "Hey, I want to hire a guy who had the worst conference record EVER abd lost all his games by almost 20 points." ?

The school would be filling TWO openings, HC and AD.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Now Poni going off on Pitt. Making a huge deal about this droning on and on about making pitt look bad. This is our flagship station. These guys are such asses. Turning them off.

Retiring actually makes some sense. He can probably get some media work but really, who is going to hire 0-19? How would YOU like to be an AD and tell your boss, "Hey, I want to hire a guy who had the worst conference record EVER abd lost all his games by almost 20 points." ?

yeah mostly agree... although if he was willing to go back to a lower level I would think he could get another job. For example, he was mentioned with Missouri St... I can see a school of that level being willing to hire him if he wanted to continue coaching.

Now Poni going off on Pitt. Making a huge deal about this droning on and on about making pitt look bad. This is our flagship station. These guys are such asses. Turning them off.

I don't mind the morning or drive home shows... don't love them either but they really don't bother me as much.

Poni and Cook are absolutely impossible for me to listen to. I would rather drive in total radio silence than listen to those two.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

If the next guy does his job with even a small level of competency and Pitt decides to part ways with him before his contract is up, he'll get his buyout. The reason that Stallings shouldn't get his buyout is because he was as totally incompetent as can be imagined. I applaud AD Lyke for her guts to let him know that he can take what she generously offered or be fired with cause. Good for her! He doesn't deserve squat for what he did to this basketball program. The same can be said for Barnes and for the BOT and boosters, along with Chancellor Gallagher who is an idiot for letting that contract be approved and signed.

Now that Barnes and Stallings are both gone, maybe we can somehow get rid of Gallagher and get a good Chancellor in here who has some common sense.

I don't mind the morning or drive home shows... don't love them either but they really don't bother me as much.

Poni and Cook are absolutely impossible for me to listen to. I would rather drive in total radio silence than listen to those two.

Total radio silence is sometimes good for the soul. I do it a lot. Sure beats some of the other options on the radio.

Usually strong option for millionaires in their 50's.

He's a horse's ass. I don't think this is making Pitt look bad at all. In fact, it makes Pitt look pretty good. Maybe that's what Poni is upset about. He doesn't want anything making Pitt look good.

Reactions: PittFathead87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT